Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

RustyNut wrote: »
    A democratically elected government.

Removed by the military as is allowed in the Egyptian constitution,if that same constitution is under threat.
    A lot of ME countries have this system,specifically designed to stop religion becoming more powerful than the nation.
    Now what's so good about the Muslim Brotherhood?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It's a great relief for his family

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Removed by the military as is allowed in the Egyptian constitution,if that same constitution is under threat.
    A lot of ME countries have this system,specifically designed to stop religion becoming more powerful than the nation.
    Now what's so good about the Muslim Brotherhood?

Where did I say there was anything good about them?

Where did I say there was anything good about them?

I'm asking is there anything good about them?

I'm asking is there anything good about them?

I don't know, but they must have something going for them to get elected democratically as the legitimate government of Egypt.

• Advertisement

I don't know, but they must have something going for them to get elected democratically as the legitimate government of Egypt.

I don't know,but they must have something wrong with them to get removed by the legitimate defenders of the constitution,the military.

Works both ways...
    Have a read about the MB you'll find they're not the nice democratic party you think.

I don't know,but they must have something wrong with them to get removed by the legitimate defenders of the constitution,the military.

Works both ways...
    Have a read about the MB you'll find they're not the nice democratic party you think.

I just happen to think that democratically elected governments are better than military dictatorships, or dictatorships of any fashion for that matter.

What article of the Egyptian constitution allows for the military to overrule the will of the people. When was it put into the constitution?

Do you not support democracy or do you think that it is only for some?

Do you not support democracy or do you think that it is only for some?

Stupid question.

Egypt and the ME are vastly different to ourselves.
    You'd do well to recognise that and don't blindly think that what works here automatically works there.
    The military saved Egypt from becoming another Islamist sh1tehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭JPCN1

And the Copts from genocide. But hey, they're democratically elected so all's cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

givyjoe wrote: »
    Except he didn't commit a crime.. and wasn't brought to trial.. because he didn't commit any crime.

Do you have a link to that, or any proof?

• Advertisement

atticu wrote: »

Here you go.

it's not opinion though but proven fact.

OK

Prove it.

Sorry.
    No proof there that he did not commit a crime.
    That article says he was acquitted.

I know that he was acquitted.

So, I have to assume that you have no proof.

Thank you.

Sorry.

Thank you.

What proof would be acceptable to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

JPCN1 wrote: »
    And Jarry was never in the IRA

our boy jerry is innocent of such allegations. until it is proven in a court of law that he was in the ira, then he wasn't in the IRA.
    Do you really believe he or his family have no MB connections?

definitely. whatever about the father, and then any evidence is not conclusive, the rest of the family have no link with the mb, there is no evidence to prove it.

Works both ways...

it doesn't work both ways, as the only reason the military removed them was they wanted a power grab. the mb were going to restrict the powers of the military and the military wanted to return egypt to some form of military rule. the military aren't interested in the constitution or upholding it.
    Stupid question.

Egypt and the ME are vastly different to ourselves.
    You'd do well to recognise that and don't blindly think that what works here automatically works there.
    The military saved Egypt from becoming another Islamist sh1tehole.

they didn't save egypt from anything. the military government is as brutal as the mb, and what came befor it. if not more so.
    And the Copts from genocide. But hey, they're democratically elected so all's cool.

Nope, the copts still face slaughter on a daily basis by egypt's military government.
    Sorry.

Thank you.

wrong, yes proof there that he didn't commit a crime. if he commited a crime he wouldn't be acquitted.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

atticu wrote:

Absence of evidence versus evidence of absence.

Nice to know the legacy of Donald Rumsfeld is still alive in some quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

A democratically elected government.

You need to read this ...

https://www.counterextremism.com/content/muslim-brotherhood%E2%80%99s-ties-isis-and-al-qaeda

What proof would be acceptable to you?

Conclusive proof.

Do you own a car?

First Up wrote: »
    Absence of evidence versus evidence of absence.

Nice to know the legacy of Donald Rumsfeld is still alive in some quarters.

So, then I have to assume that you have no proof or evidence.

atticu wrote:
    So, then I have to assume that you have no proof or evidence.

Of what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Conclusive proof.

Do you own a car?

There are a lot of things in this life for which conclusive proof is not possible, intelligent people assess all the available evidence and come to a conclusion based on this.

What is the relevance of weather the poster owns a car or not? I'm curious

There are a lot of things in this life for which conclusive proof is not possible, intelligent people assess all the available evidence and come to a conclusion based on this.

On your first point - thank you for admitting that there is no proof, now please stop claiming things that you have no proof for.

On the second point, let the poster answer the question, and we will see what happens.

On your first point - thank you for admitting that there is no proof, now please stop claiming things that you have no proof for.

On the second point, let the poster answer the question, and we will see what happens.

What did I claim?

givyjoe wrote: »
    Except he didn't commit a crime.. and wasn't brought to trial.. because he didn't commit any crime.
    First Up wrote: »
    Of what?

There you go.

What did I claim?

That there was no conclusive proof needed to make a claim.
    You said that people assess the information available and come to a conclusion.

it doesn't work both ways, as the only reason the military removed them was they wanted a power grab.the mb were going to restrict the powers of the military and the military wanted to return egypt to some form of military rule. the military aren't interested in the constitution or upholding it.

they didn't save egypt from anything. the military government is as brutal as the mb, and what came befor it. if not more so.
    nope wrong,
    the military removed them because they rightly didnt want Egypt turning into an Islamist state.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

our boy jerry is innocent of such allegations. until it is proven in a court of law that he was in the ira, then he wasn't in the IRA.

Ah you're a shinner...

Explains a lot

Would you be good enough to quote where I said this?

atticu wrote:
    There you go.

We may be at cross purposes here. I'm asking for someone to produce evidence that young Halawa did anything other than participate in what looks to have been a well-justified protest against military excess, including mass murder.

• Advertisement

Yes I own a car although what that has to do with the price of cheese I don't know.

Conclusive proof is not necessary to make a claim. Eg. Gerry Adams claims he was never in the IRA with no conclusive evidence. Others claim he was in the IRA equally without conclusive evidence. What point are you trying to make?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement