Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I love the fact that the sisters blamed the irish state in that Article as one of main points.

Was it the Gardai that put him in prison?

Is Egypt part of Ireland now:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

I guarantee they won't have Ian O Doherty on with him when he makes his TV appearance anyway.

He would tear through the BS in seconds and ask the hard questions RTE interviewers like Turbirdy or Claire Byrne are afraid to.

i'm sure he would say what you want to hear and ask the questions you want, but he won't "tear through the BS" because the "bs" are the facts of the case.

Nope, incorrect, you are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

i'm sure. however, the vast majority of people aren't interested in the answers to these questions. he was acquitted and released, he was not guilty, end of story. job done.

I believe many many people are interested. Just as in the case of some of our own public representatives of whom it has been said have engaged with proscribed terrorist organisations - there remain some very pertinent questions to be answered in the interest of national and even international security. To ignore that is sticking your head in the sand ...
    not at all. it was money well spent given the seriousness of his situation. he was entitled to protest against the overthrow of the democratically elected government, the subsiquent banning of the political party involved from running for election again, and subsiquent murder of those who protested it.

What you describe is in effect a proscribed terrorist organisation which has been linked to other extremist Muslim groups

It is of note that a UK government report in 2016 detailed:
    "how aspects of the Brotherhood’s origins, history, ideology, and current activities “run counter to British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, equality and the mutual respect and tolerance of different faiths and beliefs.” The MB have also been linked to Isis and Al-Qaeda

See: https://www.counterextremism.com/

An even most cursory review of any of the avaialble information will raise relevant concerns with this organisation ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

RTÉ reporting that he is due back in Dublin later this morning. The Irish ambassador is accompanying him on his journey.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    No need to google thanks, I, like many others have been following and commenting on these events over the last few years. As a father myself I just cannot understand why I.H's father would not travel out to visit him in prison. Unless of course he too had a fear of arrest for some reason or another.

I do not doubt you have. The reference is there to meet the criteria for quoting newspaper articles here. I have had it thrown back that similar sources were behind a paywall - therefore I always state how to access same.

The article contained some interesting points regarding IH that appear to have been now buried by the MSM. I have always wondered why his mother is hardly ever mentioned in this story unlike the rest of the family even though she alledgedly took time to visit him in prison and bring him home cooked food...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Why don't all you brave lads go meet him at the airport and tell him what you think? Maybe you can raise some of your 'concerns' with him, what with him being a dangerous criminal having being released from prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

givyjoe wrote: »
    Why don't all you brave lads go meet him at the airport and tell him what you think? Maybe you can raise some of your 'concerns' with him, what with him being a dangerous criminal having being released from prison.

Ya like as if we have a hope:pac:

So you would silence all who have concerns and their right to voice them here on the basis that they have to effectively 'put up or shut up ? You are negating people's rights to voice their concerns.

Surely then you can't support IHs protesting activities in Egypt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭mattser

Any idea what time he arrives ?. I'm picking up someone, and want to avoid the scrum if I can.

gozunda wrote: »
    So you would silence all who have concerns and their right to voice them here on the basis that they have to effectively 'put up or shut up ?

Surely then you can't support IH protesting activities in Egypt?

The concerns of many here are quite clearly rooted in conscious or unconscious prejudice. Many seem to have a problem with a guy who hasn't actually committed a crime, being released from prison after four years. What genuine concerns does anyone here have, that this guy is a danger others or himself? Again, many have referenced 'oh he's not even Irish... sure he was asking for it being there..'.

Do any of you have evidence that he is going to commit a crime here, or even how about while he was Egypt?

I support anyone innocent of committing a crime, being release from prison after being held illegally for four years. I didn't say I specifically support his protests, but that's all they were.. he didn't actually commit any crime and the Egyptian authorities obviously agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

i'm sure. however, the vast majority of people aren't interested in the answers to these questions. he was acquitted and released, he was not guilty, end of story. job done.

And who are you to say what people are and aren't going to potentially be interested in? Your "end of story, job done" signature at the end shows you're in the mindset of silencing those who YOU don't agree with. It's been a public interest case for years, that doesn't change because you say so and because you might not like a few proposed questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭what the hell!

mattser wrote: »
    Any idea what time he arrives ?. I'm picking up someone, and want to avoid the scrum if I can.

In at 11 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Because most people couldn't give a sh about him, he went to another country, got himself into trouble and paid the price. Irish tax payers money has been wasted on him and he will come back here now and more will be wasted on him.

Why does the embassador need to accompany him? He managed to get out there on his own, I'm sure he can make his own way home.

Because most people couldn't give a sh about him, he went to another country, got himself into trouble and paid the price. Irish tax payers money has been wasted on him and he will come back here now and more will be wasted on him.

Why does the embassador need to accompany him? He managed to get out there on his own, I'm sure he can make his own way home.

I knew someone would trot this out again. You say money was wasted on him.. because he's 'not Irish' or for some other reason? How much would money would you spend? If an Irish national is held illegally abroad, should our government not try to secure their release.. or should that just be for the non muslim-e ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

RTÉ reporting that he is due back in Dublin later this morning. The Irish ambassador is accompanying him on his journey.

Its bad weather for the open top bus

The concerns of many here are quite clearly rooted in conscious or unconscious prejudice. Many seem to have a problem with a guy who hasn't actually committed a crime, being released from prison after four years. What genuine concerns does anyone here have, that this guy is a danger others or himself? Again, many have referenced 'oh he's not even Irish... sure he was asking for it being there..'. Do any of you have evidence that he is going to commit a crime here, or even how about while he was Egypt?I support anyone innocent of committing a crime, being release from prison after being held illegally for four years. I didn't say I specifically support his protests, but that's all they were.. he didn't actually commit any crime and the Egyptian authorities obviously agree.

You didn't answer my previous question on your advocacy to stifle others people's concerns on this issue.

In relation to the above post - you are missing the whole picture. I suspect deliberately so. The concerns that many have and are validly raised are evident association's to a proscribed terrorist organisation- the Muslin Brotherhood.

You claim IH was held illegally - I believe Egyptian authorities would not agree with your assertion. Are you also telling them how they should run their country?

It has been already detailed how we already have a long history of a small number of individuals in this country who claim to have no association with proscribed terrorist organisations. The issue of supporters of the MB raises this same question especially where it is relevant to both national and international security concerns. Interestingly but wrongly you ascribe these very real concerns to 'prejudice' in an obvious attempt to shut down such discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭mattser

In at 11 I think.

Sound,thanks. I'll be on the way home so hopefully.

You are missing the whole picture. I suspect deliberately so. The concerns that many have and are validly raised are evident association's to a proscribed terrorist organisation- the Muslin Brotherhood.

You claim IH was held illegally - I believe Egyptian authorities would not agree with your assertion. Are you also telling them how they should run their country?

It has been already detailed how we already have a long history of a small number of individuals in this country who claim to have no association with proscribed terrorist organisations. The issue of supporters of the MB raises this same question especially where it is relevant to both national and international security concerns.

Utter waffle. So basically, you have no legitimate concerns that this guy has or is going to commit a crime. Gotcha.

As another poster has specifically stated, the Egyptian authorities were denying him his human rights, ya know.. due process and a fair trial. Do you believe any government should be holding individuals, it itself does not believe to have committed a crime.. for FOUR YEARS? If they were so eager to deny him his liberty, and was such a threat.. then surely they could have just used all this incriminating evidence they had, to put him on trial and incarcerate him legitimately. :rolleyes:

I'm missing no picture, guy commits no crime.. happens to be muslim, foaming the mouth masses look for reasons to justify agreeing with a guy being held for no reason for 4 years.

Do you think he should still be in jail? If so, for what reason?

Utter waffle. So basically, you have no legitimate concerns that this guy has or is going to commit a crime. Gotcha (sic).

You DISMISS a whole thread of concerns on a point that is beside the main point referred to and still ignore the big picture? You're the one banging on about prison - I was not.
    As another poster has specifically stated, the Egyptian authorities were denying him his human rights, ya know.. due process and a fair trial. Do you believe any government should be holding individuals, it itself does not believe to have committed a crime.. for FOUR YEARS? If they were so eager to deny him his liberty, and was such a threat.. then surely they could have just used all this incriminating evidence they had, to put him on trial and incarcerate him legitimately. :rolleyes:

If you wish to discuss the Egyptian legal system and actions taken in the face of very real terrorist threats - then I'm sure you could open up a thread on that. I doubt that beyond rhetoric you would be able to do so however
    I'm missing no picture, guy commits no crime.. happens to be muslim, foaming the mouth masses look for reasons to justify agreeing with a guy being held for no reason for 4 years.
    Do you think he should still be in jail? If so, for what reason?

Not only have you missed the picture - you havn't even found the correct Art Gallery yet. You will most likley find that the majority of people in prison in Egypt are in fact Muslim :rolleyes: Get over your obvious own inbuilt prejudices as when you are telling people that they have no rights to raise legitimate concerns.

Perhaps for the second time - you would be good enough to explain why you believe concerned people do not have a right to do so?

Here is the original question I posed and which you have evidently ignored
    So you would silence all who have concerns and their right to voice them here on the basis that they have to effectively 'put up or shut up ? You are negating people's rights to voice their concerns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

mattser wrote: »

If the numbers in attendance at the segregated "protests" held at the Egyptian embassy are anything to go by, you won't notice anything, except maybe that the gate looks like a school disco from the 80's with the women on one side and the men on the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

RTÉ are going to broadcast live at Dublin airport for the homecoming.

This is gonna be a media circus folks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Several busses would be needed to accommodate all those who will be queuing up to claim the credit for getting him freed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Not to worry, Leo has ordered €2000 worth of wine for the reception at the mansion house later.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Would love if someone in the media grew a set in the airport and asked him whats the Muslim brotherhoods opinion on gay people.

What a world we in where people are afraid to ask a question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Is it true sinn fein have organised an open top bus for him later?

Is it true sinn fein have organised an open top bus for him later?

Na the Journal beat them to it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭conorhal

I knew someone would trot this out again. You say money was wasted on him.. because he's 'not Irish' or for some other reason? How much would money would you spend? If an Irish national is held illegally abroad, should our government not try to secure their release.. or should that just be for the non muslim-e ones?

Quite the opposite seems to be the case, the mother of Faris Heaney who was kidnapped and brought to Egypt by his uncle has said that ministers refused to speak to her or discuss his case while they were busy campaigning for the bould Halawa.

You DISMISS a while thread of concerns on a point that is beside the main point referred to and still ignore the big picture? You're the one banging on about prison - I was not.

If you wish to discuss the Egyptian legal system and actions taken in the face of very real terrorist threats - then I'm sure you could open up a thread on that. I doubt that beyond rhetoric you would be able to do so however

Not only have you missed the picture - you havn't even found the correct Art Gallery yet. You will most likley find that the majority of people in prison in Egypt are in fact Muslim :rolleyes: Get over your obvious own inbuilt prejudices as when you are telling people that they have no rights to raise legitimate concerns.

Perhaps for the second time - you would be good enough to explain why you believe concerned people do not have a right to do so?

Here is the original question I posed and which you have evidently ignored

So many quotes.. so much horsesh1te. What legitimate concerns do you or others have, that this lad is a danger to society? By all means have concerns that are legitimate and pose an actual danger. i.e. he has or is likely to commit a crime? Because otherwise your concerns are meaningless and just 'concerned' with unpleasant thoughts, i.e. you dont like his religion or his cultural beliefs. I dont care about either of those so long as he doesn't commit any crimes.

Saying that I have some kind of inbuilt prejudice, is utterly pathetic and a weak attempt at diverting away from the actual prejudice at the root of so many posters comments on here.

And yes, I'm 'banging on about prison', the place where the chap has been unjustly held for 4 years! You know, the whole point of this thread!

I find your views unpleasant, and likewise with many of the other posters here.. I don't however believe you should be locked up in this (or other jurisdictions) because of them and would argue.. that even you, should be released if you were held in similar circumstances.

Lastly, I'm not talking rhetoric on any aspect of the Egyptian legal system, I'm referring to basic universal human rights that the Egyptians were in breach of. Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

RTÉ are going to broadcast live at Dublin airport for the homecoming.

Of course they are, and they might even have RTE staff there waving flags.
    If you put terms like "Halawa sisters sue state" into Google, do you think you will find any reporting from RTE about the story in the search results?
    Page after page of results with nothing from RTE.

Yet, you will find articles on the sisters law suit from the Irish Times, the Irish Independent, the Examiner etc. on the first page. You would expect RTE to cover the story since it involves the sisters suing the Irish Government for discrimination among other things.

Why is this?
    You will find that while most of the country did not care for Halawa's actions while "protesting" abroad in a dangerous country, RTE sought to push the story at every opportunity, which in turn brought about the corresponding over-reaction of support from the Irish Government. No one is denying that Halawa should have received consular assistance. However, RTE's partial and biased reporting on the story was not challenged by those in authority or political/social commentators for fear of the racist/bigot card being shown to them.

RTE has a way of forcing their liberal agenda into the Government spotlight even though it may defy the will of the vast majority of the country. Their high profile and highly paid presenters are the mouthpieces for this agenda, and many of the bewildering policies and tax-payer projects being put into place at the moment is a result of RTE's insistence that it is the "will of the people". But in reality, that is not the case.

• Advertisement

So many quotes.. so much horsesh1te - What legitimate concerns do you or others have, that this lad is a danger to society? By all means have concerns that are legitimate and pose an actual danger. i.e. he has or is likely to commit a crime? Because otherwise your concerns are meaningless and just 'concerned' with unpleasant thoughts, i.e. you dont like his religion or his cultural beliefs. I dont care about either of those so long as he doesn't commit any crimes. Saying that I have some kind of inbuilt prejudice, is utterly pathetic and a weak attempt at diverting away from the actual prejudice at the root of so many posters comments on here.
    And yes, I'm 'banging on about prison', the place where the chap has been unjustly held for 4 years! You know, the whole point of this thread!
    I find your views unpleasant, and likewise with many of the other posters here.. I don't however believe you should be locked up in this (or other jurisdictions) because of them and would argue.. that even you, should be released if you were held in similar circumstances. Lastly, I'm not talking rhetoric on any aspect of the Egyptian legal system, I'm referring to basic universal human rights that the Egyptians were in breach of. Simple.

Nothing is as SIMPLE as painted by your good self.

Spouting insults as well ....lol.

If you wish to have a conversation by yourself on your selected own topics - please do so

However before you go - you still havn't answered the last question again ... :rolleyes:

So based on your previous attack on those holding concerns about this lots association's with the MB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement