Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

gozunda wrote: »

Nothing is as Simple as painted by your good self.

On that note you still havnt answered the question ...

It really is. I have but you're either just oblivious to it or don't want to accept what's been written. By all means continue to piss and moan about this innocent lad, convince yourself is not culturally, racially or religiously motivated.

Honestly, what exactly are you looking for here? Do you disagree with him being released? Do you disagree with our government (his country) trying to get him released from prison? Do you want the guards to monitor him 24/7 in case he commits another 'crime'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

david75 wrote: »
    Amazing the wave of pro Islamist goodwill and warmth emanating here and elsewhere across the media. Not surprising that such a strident anti Christian, anti catholic sentiment coming from same sources. Seems like anyone who isn’t dancing in the streets or at the airport rolling out the carpet for Mr Halawa or who dares question Islam on its teachings is a racist, a bigot, an islamophobe etc ?

Shockingly or not the amount of outcry about an Irish citizen being released from prison And outrage that he’s entitled to human rights simply because he’s brown and has a different faith is rather disturbing.

As far as I can see there are few who care one way or the other about the color of his skin or his religion and most would agree that his prolonged detention without trial was unjust. Where most have the problem is (1) what motivated an Irish student and his sisters to go protesting quite openly against the regime of a foreign country (2) his support and that of his family for Muslim Brotherhood. Hundreds of thousands of Irish students go abroad every year on holiday and few of them get into bother as Mr Halawa did ? He was foolish at best and perhaps more insidiously motivated at worst ? And for all that Ireland inc is expected to expend over 20,000 hours of consular time and taxpayers money trying to get him out of the mess he created for himself ?? There’s a Cork guy banged up now in the Philippines , allegedly for possession of less than half a gram of cocaine - where’s the media campaign and the ministerial interventions and the rallies to get him freed ? On the contrary it seems that it was exactly the colour of Mr Halawa’s skin and his Muslim identity that provoked such a sympathetic outpouring among liberal all inclusive Ireland inc. So what about sorting it now for the guy in the Philippines or is he too Irish to be relevant ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

As far as I can see there are few who care one way or the other about the color of his skin or his religion and most would agree that his prolonged detention without trial was unjust. Where most have the problem is (1) what motivated an Irish student and his sisters to go protesting quite openly against the regime of a foreign country (2) his support and that of his family for Muslim Brotherhood. Hundreds of thousands of Irish students go abroad every year on holiday and few of them get into bother as Mr Halawa did ? He was foolish at best and perhaps more insidiously motivated at worst ? And for all that Ireland inc is expected to expend over 20,000 hours of consular time and taxpayers money trying to get him out of the mess he created for himself ?? There’s a Cork guy banged up now in the Philippines , allegedly for possession of less than half a gram of cocaine - where’s the media campaign and the ministerial interventions and the rallies to get him freed ? On the contrary it seems that it was exactly the colour of Mr Halawa’s skin and his Muslim identity that provoked such a sympathetic outpouring among liberal all inclusive Ireland inc. So what about sorting it now for the guy in the Philippines or is he too Irish to be relevant ?

Spot on, ironically the left are correct when they say Racism, racism on their part tho!!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

givyjoe wrote: »
    It really is. I have but you're either just oblivious to it or don't want to accept what's been written. By all means continue to piss and moan about this innocent lad, convince yourself is not culturally, racially or religiously motivated.

Honestly, what exactly are you looking for here? Do you disagree with him being released? Do you disagree with our government (his country) trying to get him released from prison? Do you want the guards to monitor him 24/7 in case he commits another 'crime'?

The real point is that he should not be feted by the media or anyone else.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    For somebody who was on deaths door thanks to his many hunger strikes in prison, he is looking remarkably well

Doesn't look sick enough or beaten down enough for your liking you mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I omitted to make a reply to your absolute corker of a statement earlier on ... (Btw I noticed you're repeating the same rubbish mantra over and over again that anyone who has any concerns is effectively a racist ...)
    ...What legitimate concerns do you or others have, that this lad is a danger to society? By all means have concerns that are legitimate and pose an actual danger. i.e. he has or is likely to commit a crime? Because otherwise your concerns are meaningless and just 'concerned' with unpleasant thoughts, i.e. you dont like his religion or his cultural beliefs. I dont care about either of those so long as he doesn't commit any crimes.

The concerns many here have detailed in full are linked with association's with the Muslim Brotherhood as well you know. These concerns are not unique to the 'land of the infidels' but are also of concern to many other Arab countries. Perhaps you could tell us if the following also have "unpleasant thoughts" and don't like the "religion or cultural beliefs" of MB supporters ....

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2017/10/18/Beware-of-the-closet-Muslim-Brotherhood-member.html

https://www.thenational.ae/opinion/the-muslim-brotherhood-and-qatar-by-their-actions-they-are-condemned-to-be-outcasts-1.668651

So there were chants of Aluha Ackbar at Dublin Airport ..... and the liberals applaud this .... JESUS H ****ING CHRIST

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Brilliant post

Eh, are you joking? I'd say the fact that the lad actually committed a crime has something to do with it. It might be excessive but it's relatively common knowledge of the absolute zero tolerance policies countries in the region have towards drugs.

So, he broke a law there, the main difference here is that it isn't a breach of his human rights i.e. he actually committed a crime won't be held without charge for 4 years.

You still havn't answered the basic question why you are attempting to close down those voicing their concerns. At least try and answer that question before spouting the same ok again, again and again :rolleyes:.
    So you would silence all who have concerns and their right to voice them here on the basis that they have to effectively 'put up or shut up ? You are negating people's rights to voice their concerns.

Surely then you can't support IHs protesting activities in Egypt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

He was there for weeks taking part in the protests, he was on stage making speeches quoting other f*cking radicals ???!!

We all protest over water charges! does that make us radical?

Does it make us radical when we protest for repealing the 8th?

How about those who protest against repealing the 8th does that make them radical?

It's all the same, you believe in what you believe that's your given right whether others approve or not is not radical, its a term thrown out by people of all beliefs majority peoples views these days are considered radical by someone. because society is dividing it self-based on what you believe in.

What makes you me or any other person any different?

Nothing, we all have our views doesn't me ones more radical than the other there just different. Jesus Christ reading some people opinions on facebook its like we're going back the dark ages, but they have every enlightenment to think that way right or wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The Irish guy in the Phillippines has had a trial, a conviction, an appeal and is out on bail while the case goes to a higher court.

Halawa had no such legal process. He is Irish by birth and citizenship but his heritage and family are strongly Egyptian. He had a perfect right to be there and to care what was happening. He did nothing to deserve four years in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,747 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

quintana76 wrote: »
    The real point is that he should not be feted by the media or anyone else.

I totally agree. I'm glad he's finally been released from prison and allowed home, and don't agree with the way he was treated by the Egyptian authorities.

But the scenes at the airport were akin to those that greet brave humanitarians who were taken hostage because of their selfless and generous work.

That is wrong. Ibraham was a naive young man, badly guided by his older siblings, who got into a mess of their own making. He deserved to have support from the Irish authorities in being freed from prison where he was being held without trial. But he is not a homecoming hero. He has not done anything brave or wonderful. Apart from family, there was no need for big emotional reunions at the airport.

I omitted to make a reply to your absolute corker of a statement earlier on ...

The concerns many here have detailed in full are linked with association's with the Muslim Brotherhood as well you know. These concerns are not unique to the 'land of the infidels' but are also of concern to many other Arab countries. Perhaps you could tell us if the following also have "unpleasant thoughts" and don't like the "religion or cultural beliefs" of MB supporters ....

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2017/10/18/Beware-of-the-closet-Muslim-Brotherhood-member.html

https://www.thenational.ae/opinion/the-muslim-brotherhood-and-qatar-by-their-actions-they-are-condemned-to-be-outcasts-1.668651

Mate, you're seemingly incapable of grasping the point im making.. let me spell it out for you. I find many things distasteful, such as your points of view.. your posting style and also the views of some other religions.. both Christianity and Islam actually.. however, as long as you or they don't commit a crime.. I don't really care. You all can continue to go off on your merry way thinking and saying what you all like.. I'll simply avoid such unpleasant folks and their views as best I can.

So again, what exactly is it you want to see happen to Halawa?

I totally agree. I'm glad he's finally been released from prison and allowed home, and don't agree with the way he was treated by the Egyptian authorities.

But the scenes at the airport were akin to those that greet brave humanitarians who were taken hostage because of their selfless and generous work.

That is wrong. Ibraham was a naive young man, badly guided by his older siblings, who got into a mess of their own making. He deserved to have support from the Irish authorities in being freed from prison where he was being held without trial. But he is not a homecoming hero. He has not done anything brave or wonderful. Apart from family, there was no need for big emotional reunions at the airport.

Aside from his friends or family.. who did the emotional reunions come from??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,747 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Aside from his friends or family.. who did the emotional reunions come from??

Most of his relations were probably back in their own homes in Egypt so he didn’t have much family to greet him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It was actually 0.38 grams of cannabis, rather than cocaine.

You still havn't answered the basic question why you are attempting to close down those voicing their concerns. At least try and answer that question before spouting the same ok again, again and again :rolleyes:.

What are you talking about?? Have legitimate concerns all you like.. the point is you don't seem to have any?! How exactly have I shut them down? Aside from point out that you don't actually seem to have any legitimate concerns about this guy, i.e. what crime has he committed and what do you think he's going to do?! What exactly are you afraid of with this INNOCENT lad?

Jebus, the irony.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Most of his relations were probably back in their own homes in Egypt so he didn’t have much family to greet him.

So which is it then?! Big emotional return or none because his family are all back in Egypt..?! Thinly veiled.. 'he doesn't belong here..' eh:rolleyes:?

• Advertisement

People on here agreeing that the guy in the Phillipines deserves jail time cos he went through their justice system ... sickening.

Would you all be delighted if someone was set to be executed in Singapore for a bit of drug smuggling ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

So he was using the Ivory Coast flag on Facebook. Right.

People on here agreeing that the guy in the Phillipines deserves jail time cos he went through their justice system ... sickening.

Would you all be delighted if someone was set to be executed in Singapore for a bit of drug smuggling ?

He broke the law ffs... it might be an extremely harsh law.. but he still broke it. There is no human rights breach there.

Who mentioned anything about being delighted at executions...?! But now that you mention it, bit of drug smuggling.. ah sure what's the harm :rolleyes:

Mate* you're seemingly incapable of grasping the point im making.. let me spell it out for you. I find many things distasteful, such as your points of view.. your posting style and also the views of some other religions.. both Christianity and Islam actually.. however, as long as you or they don't commit a crime.. I don't really care. You all can continue to go off on your merry way thinking and saying what you all like.. I'll simply avoid such unpleasant folks and their views as best I can.

So again, what exactly is it you want to see happen to Halawa?

Repeat ad nauseum- repeat :rolleyes: so you think that those Arab countries and or Muslims who criticise the MB are racists too? Really?
    Perhaps you would be better trying to anwser the question I asked you previously on your appatent mission to prevent others from voicing their concerns?

So you would silence all who have concerns and their right to voice them here on the basis that they have to effectively 'put up or shut up ? You are negating people's rights to voice their concerns.

Surely then you can't support IHs protesting activities in Egypt?

Ps - who mentioned the Christians? What have you got against them now?

Thanks all the same - not your *Mate

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So there were chants of Aluha Ackbar at Dublin Airport ..... and the liberals applaud this .... JESUS H ****ING CHRIST
    "Allah Ackbar" is basically the Islamic equivalent of "Thank the Lord"/"Thank God"/"Praise Jesus".

Why would it be shocking that Muslims would be saying this when a Muslim has been returned home?

Unless of course, you choose to believe that it's an Islamic battle cry.
    washman3 wrote: »
    Looks very well for a guy that was supposedly 'Rotting in an Egyptian jail' for 4 years according to the RTE/Media Bandwagon apologists regularly posting here.
    Yeah. I mean, how dare he have a shave, change his clothes and smile?
    Doesn't he know that unless he lands back in Ireland in a sackcloth and irons, he can't prove he was in prison at all?

Such nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

seamus wrote: »
    "Allah Ackbar" is basically the Islamic equivalent of "Thank the Lord"/"Thank God"/"Praise Jesus".

Why would it be shocking that Muslims would be saying this when a Muslim has been returned home?

^^^ This guy thinks that shouting "Allah Akbar" in an airport, in the West, is normal and not anything that would raise an eyebrow. Welcome to the Man from 1996.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

RobertKK wrote: »

More thinly-veiled racism. And this time, from someone who claims to be a Christian.

What are you talking about?? Have legitimate concerns all you like.. the point is you don't seem to have any?! How exactly have I shut them down? Aside from point out that you don't actually seem to have any legitimate concerns about this guy, i.e. what crime has he committed and what do you think he's going to do?! What exactly are you afraid of with this INNOCENT lad?Jebus, the irony.

Do try and keep up - the concerns already posted and which you indicated were somehow racist- but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt you didnt read it or somesuch ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

What you describe is in effect a proscribed terrorist organisation which has been linked to other extremist Muslim groups

It is of note that a UK government report in 2016 detailed:
    "how aspects of the Brotherhood’s origins, history, ideology, and current activities “run counter to British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, equality and the mutual respect and tolerance of different faiths and beliefs.” The MB have also been linked to Isis and Al-Qaeda

See: https://www.counterextremism.com/

An even most cursory review of any of the avaialble information will raise relevant concerns with this organisation ...

look, nobody is saying the mb are a cuddly bunch. they aren't.
    however, that doesn't change the fact
    1. they were democratically elected by the people.
    2. they were removed as the military decided to go on a power grab.
    3. the mb were banned from running for election again, depriving the people of making a fair decisian as to whether they still wanted them in power.
    4. those who protested it were murdered shot and beaten off the streets.
    Because most people couldn't give a sh about him, he went to another country, got himself into trouble and paid the price. Irish tax payers money has been wasted on him and he will come back here now and more will be wasted on him.

Why does the embassador need to accompany him? He managed to get out there on his own, I'm sure he can make his own way home.

no tax payers money was wasted on him, tax payers money was well spent on him however due to the seriousness of his situation. the embacedar has to acompany him home for safety reasons.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

c_man wrote: »
    ^^^ This guy thinks that shouting "Allah Akbar" in an airport, in the West, is normal and not anything that would raise an eyebrow. Welcome to the Man from 1996.

Cognitive dissonance.

Same guy would sneer at an old woman saying the rosary to thank the lord Jesus Christ for something. (I probably would too ... but I'm consistent in my sneering at fairytales :p)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement