Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

First Up wrote: »
    As far as I can see there are few who care one way or the other about the color of his skin or his religion and most would agree that his prolonged detention without trial was unjust. Where most have the problem is (1) what motivated an Irish student and his sisters to go protesting quite openly against the regime of a foreign country (2) his support and that of his family for Muslim Brotherhood. Hundreds of thousands of Irish students go abroad every year on holiday and few of them get into bother as Mr Halawa did ? He was foolish at best and perhaps more insidiously motivated at worst ? And for all that Ireland inc is expected to expend over 20,000 hours of consular time and taxpayers money trying to get him out of the mess he created for himself ?? There’s a Cork guy banged up now in the Philippines , allegedly for possession of less than half a gram of cocaine - where’s the media campaign and the ministerial interventions and the rallies to get him freed ? On the contrary it seems that it was exactly the colour of Mr Halawa’s skin and his Muslim identity that provoked such a sympathetic outpouring among liberal all inclusive Ireland inc. So what about sorting it now for the guy in the Philippines or is he too Irish to be relevant ?

The Irish guy in the Phillippines has had a trial, a conviction, an appeal and is out on bail while the case goes to a higher court.

Halawa had no such legal process. He is Irish by birth and citizenship but his heritage and family are strongly Egyptian. He had a perfect right to be there and to care what was happening. He did nothing to deserve four years in jail.

And an Irish guy with.38 gm cocaine gets 12 years ? Sure he wouldn’t even get in with such a pittance to any of
    liberal Islamic loving celebratory house parties that will be happening all over Dublin tonight !
    Amazing the inverted racism so evident here - give the Muslim lad the benefit of the doubt but let the paddy linger !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

c_man wrote: »
    seamus wrote: »
    "Allah Ackbar" is basically the Islamic equivalent of "Thank the Lord"/"Thank God"/"Praise Jesus".

Why would it be shocking that Muslims would be saying this when a Muslim has been returned home?

^^^ This guy thinks that shouting "Allah Akbar" in an airport, in the West, is normal and not anything that would raise an eyebrow. Welcome to the Man from 1996.
    Yeah, utterly ridiculous of him. I don't want to hear Muslims shouting terrorist sympathy slogans in an airport thank  you very much. Take that to your lunatic imam in your mosque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

givyjoe wrote: »
    He broke the law ffs... it might be an extremely harsh law.. but he still broke it. There is no human rights breach there.

Who mentioned anything about being delighted at executions...?! But now that you mention it, bit of drug smuggling.. ah sure what's the harm :rolleyes:

Have you done any reading up on his case at all?? He was on a flying visit to wrap up the estate of his late father in law. The police realised this, and that he would have substantial cash on him, so tried to bribe him. He refused and suddenly they found some hash, an absolute miniscule amount, tried to get him to pay again, he again refused and arrested him. Get 0.38 grams of anything and see how small it is.

Yeah, utterly ridiculous of him. I don't want to hear Muslims shouting terrorist sympathy slogans in an airport thank  you very much. Take that to your lunatic imam in your mosque.

100%, imagine a republican prisoner getting released in the UK and flying home to Dublin Airport to cries of Tiochfaidh Ar La. Boards would explode with righteous indignation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Surely they should be saying "Department of Foreign Affairs Akbar"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah. I mean, how dare he have a shave, change his clothes and smile?
    Doesn't he know that unless he lands back in Ireland in a sackcloth and irons, he can't prove he was in prison at all?

Such nonsense.

Of course he is entitled to a shave and proper clothes. The point I was making is he looks physically excellent for a guy that was supposedly 'rotting in a foreign jail'. Looks to me that he is now 2/3 stone heavier than when he left Ireland.
    And I don't begrudge him that. What sickens me is this nonsense that the apologists are spouting about the 'extreme conditions' he was experiencing in Egypt.

RobertKK wrote: »

“He said he has sympathy for Mr Halawa but feels the Government has abandoned his case and put all its efforts into a “more fashionable cause”

He’s dead right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

c_man wrote:
    ^^^ This guy thinks that shouting "Allah Akbar" in an airport, in the West, is normal and not anything that would raise an eyebrow. Welcome to the Man from 1996.

Does Irish soccer fans singing Ole Ole Ole mean they condone bullfighting?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

So there were chants of Aluha Ackbar at Dublin Airport ..... and the liberals applaud this .... JESUS H ****ING CHRIST

Have you got a link to that or even a recording be proof . I didn't see it on rte news but he was only on for a few seconds.leaving an elevator

gozunda wrote: »
    What you describe is in effect a proscribed terrorist organisation which has been linked to other extremist Muslim groups

It is of note that a UK government report in 2016 detailed:
    "how aspects of the Brotherhood’s origins, history, ideology, and current activities “run counter to British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, equality and the mutual respect and tolerance of different faiths and beliefs.” The MB have also been linked to Isis and Al-Qaeda

See: https://www.counterextremism.com/

An even most cursory review of any of the avaialble information will raise relevant concerns with this organisation ...

look, nobody is saying the mb are a cuddly bunch. they aren't.
    however, that doesn't change the fact
    1. they were democratically elected by the people.
    2. they were removed as the military decided to go on a power grab.
    3. the mb were banned from running for election again, depriving the people of making a fair decisian as to whether they still wanted them in power.
    4. those who protested it were murdered shot and beaten off the streets.
    Because most people couldn't give a sh about him, he went to another country, got himself into trouble and paid the price. Irish tax payers money has been wasted on him and he will come back here now and more will be wasted on him.

Why does the embassador need to accompany him? He managed to get out there on his own, I'm sure he can make his own way home.

no tax payers money was wasted on him, tax payers money was well spent on him however due to the seriousness of his situation. the embacedar has to acompany him home for safety reasons.

“ Well spent “ really ? And I bet the same supporters refused to pay the water charges and all !
    “Seriousness of his situation” - caused by his own rashness or stupidity, yet the taxpayer ends up footing the bill ? I hope someone puts down a question for the cost of this little adventure - I’m sure we have much more worthy causes, ones that aren’t self inflicted

• Advertisement

washman3 wrote: »
    Of course he is entitled to a shave and proper clothes. The point I was making is he looks physically excellent for a guy that was supposedly 'rotting in a foreign jail'. Looks to me that he is now 2/3 stone heavier than when he left Ireland.
    And I don't begrudge him that. What sickens me is this nonsense that the apologists are spouting about the 'extreme conditions' he was experiencing in Egypt.

The gunshot wound in his hand that was left to fester in a dirty prison looks perfectly fine too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

First Up wrote: »
    Does Irish soccer fans singing Ole Ole Ole mean they condone bullfighting?

I never implied what you seem to think I did. Merely pointing out the noteworthiness of doing so there, and how it's pretty stupid.

Have you been in an airport in the past 20 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Aside from his friends or family.. who did the emotional reunions come from??

No idea. But a huge crowd at the airport cheering. Even if neighbours, old schoolfriends etc wanted to welcome him home, why did it have to be in public in front of the media etc? That's just turning him into some kind of martyred hero, which he isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

davycc wrote: »
    Have you got a link to that or even a recording be proof . I didn't see it on rte news but he was only on for a few seconds.leaving an elevator

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/922782539403661312

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

davycc wrote: »

You can clearly hear it here

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/922782539403661312

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

People on here agreeing that the guy in the Phillipines deserves jail time cos he went through their justice system ... sickening.

how is it sickening. it's no secret i believe there should be no prohibition as do many. however, i think most who believe in no prohibition including myself, also recognise that if people go to these hellholes and are found carying drugs they will be in a whole lot of trouble.
    Would you all be delighted if someone was set to be executed in Singapore for a bit of drug smuggling ?

of course not. the death penalty is murder as far as i'm concerned. however again, that's what happens in some countries if you are found carying drugs. in that case i believe the government should do everything in it's power to stop these people from being murdered. people should also not go to countries that don't subscribe to the values they do.
    c_man wrote: »

it means god is great. so of course it's normal. the same as a christian saying thank god.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

The gunshot wound in his hand that was left to fester in a dirty prison looks perfectly fine too.

didnt hurt his ability to write most of a book either did it ?

strange that some one held in inhumane conditions starving and beaten was able to write a book.

do you think he hand wrote it or used a laptop ?

lol

People on here agreeing that the guy in the Phillipines deserves jail time cos he went through their justice system ... sickening.

Would you all be delighted if someone was set to be executed in Singapore for a bit of drug smuggling ?

They probably wouldn’t be too bothered , unless he was an Irish , Muslim, colored or lgbt , that would get them riled up allrite !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

it means god is great. so of course it's normal.

the same as a christian saying thank god.

Not really in an airport, no. Which you well know.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

look, nobody is saying the mb are a cuddly bunch. they aren't.
    however, that doesn't change the fact
    1. they were democratically elected by the people.
    2. they were removed as the military decided to go on a power grab.
    3. the mb were banned from running for election again, depriving the people of making a fair decisian as to whether they still wanted them in power.
    4. those who protested it were murdered shot and beaten off the streets.

That may be your interpretation / belief on the MB - a proscribed organisation in many Arab countries.

Thankfully there are many who will disagree with that rather biased interpretation of the events in Egypt between 2011 - 2013. Thankfully people can make their own informed opinions about those events and the MB.

Some basic research will suffice...

Whichever about the above - it does not detract from the MB association in this case imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Have you done any reading up on his case at all?? He was on a flying visit to wrap up the estate of his late father in law. The police realised this, and that he would have substantial cash on him, so tried to bribe him. He refused and suddenly they found some hash, an absolute miniscule amount, tried to get him to pay again, he again refused and arrested him. Get 0.38 grams of anything and see how small it is.

Eh, no I haven't. The first i heard of it was the post I quoted on this thread. Who gave none of the information you have above.

So in that case, he probably hasn't committed any crime so should get all the help he needs to be freed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

it means god is great. so of course it's normal. the same as a christian saying thank god.

Actually in the context that it is most usually used in it has come to mean its more like tiocfaidh ar la
    or Up the RA

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Its all about context and are you seriously saying this isn't insensitive in a western country in 2017 ??

Yeah I remember all the IRA murderers screaming THANK GOD before they murdered an innocent British civilian , that really sticks out in my mind.

mynamejeff wrote:
    Actually in the context that it has come to mean its more like tiocfaidh ar la or Up the RA

Oh for fecks sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Time to cancel the tv license if the state broadcaster is supporting the Muslim Brotherhood.

This thread was never Ireland at its finest but it has now descended into Ireland at its embarrasing worst.

Bye bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

No idea. But a huge crowd at the airport cheering. Even if neighbours, old schoolfriends etc wanted to welcome him home, why did it have to be in public in front of the media etc? That's just turning him into some kind of martyred hero, which he isn't.

Eh, the media are to 'blame' for that. Not him, his family or his friends. I'd like to think my family and friends would be waiting for me at the airport, at the gate if i was in the same circumstance. When my brother makes his first trip home in nearly 20 years, I'll be at the same gate. I don't really see how his family and friends showing up, gives you the impression he's a martyr or hero.

So what if he has lots of friends and family there delighted to see him?! Im sure they are mostly just delighted to see a guy they possibly thought they would never see again.

As for the huge crowd, hard to see but it looks mostly made up of reporters and photographers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Cognitive dissonance.

Same guy would sneer at an old woman saying the rosary to thank the lord Jesus Christ for something. (I probably would too ... but I'm consistent in my sneering at fairytales )

would they? have you any evidence to back up that claim? or is it just another playing the victim rant?
    And an Irish guy with.38 gm cocaine gets 12 years ? Sure he wouldn’t even get in with such a pittance to any of
    liberal Islamic loving celebratory house parties that will be happening all over Dublin tonight !
    Amazing the inverted racism so evident here - give the Muslim lad the benefit of the doubt but let the paddy linger !

another playing the victim style rant. and as for calling it "racism" joke's on you.
    Yeah, utterly ridiculous of him. I don't want to hear Muslims shouting terrorist sympathy slogans in an airport thank you very much. Take that to your lunatic imam in your mosque.

that's a bit rich, don't you think?

well, you need to get that message along with evidence out to the media. it is important that this is out in the open as that country's police force to be fair, does seem to have a habbit of such behaviour
    washman3 wrote: »

he would have experienced extreme conditions while being held in egypt.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Eh, no I haven't. The first i heard of it was the post I quoted on this thread. Who gave none of the information you have above.

So in that case, he probably hasn't committed any crime so should get all the help he needs to be freed.

Exactly, he's not cosmopolitan enough to garner the column inches Mr Halawa got. No multicultural photo shoots for Zappone either, so she doesn't care. He has received zero assistance from the Irish government. Sort of flies in the face of the "If he was called Paddy McIrishman he'd have been freed straight away" that the halawa cheerleaders would have you believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Time to cancel the tv license if the state broadcaster is supporting the Muslim Brotherhood.

I am not rte biggest fan either but do you have a link to your nonsense claim.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement