Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

c_man wrote: »
    ^^^ This guy thinks that shouting "Allah Akbar" in an airport, in the West, is normal and not anything that would raise an eyebrow. Welcome to the Man from 1996.
    So you think Muslims should be confined to saying certain words in designated locations only?

That phrase in particular is said in many contexts by Muslims, usually several times a day in normal usage, as well as in celebration, triumph, mourning and other contexts.

If someone saying it while celebrating makes you nervous, then that speaks to your ignorance.

Maybe if you saw someone running through an airport shouting it, you might have good cause to be nervous. But standing in jubilant crowd? Yeah, that's your own crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

givyjoe wrote: »
    Eh, the media are to 'blame' for that. Not him, his family or his friends. I'd like to think my family and friends would be waiting for me at the airport, at the gate if i was in the same circumstance. When my brother makes his first trip home in nearly 20 years, I'll be at the same gate. I don't really see how his family and friends showing up, gives you the impression he's a martyr or hero.

So what if he has lots of friends and family there delighted to see him?! Im sure they are mostly just delighted to see a guy they possibly thought they would never see again.

As for the huge crowd, hard to see but it looks mostly made up of reporters and photographers.

I agree the media bear a lot of responsibility. But if an old schoolfriend or cousin or some such of mine had got themselves banged up abroad through their own foolishness and were finally released, I would be visiting them privately to welcome them home. I wouldn't be out at the airport cheering them on and behaving as if I was welcoming a brave soldier home from war or some such. Maybe I'm wrong, but I suspect a lot of the crowd were there because they loved being associated with all the drama and publicity.

But yeah, the media should not have turned his homecoming into a circus. He should have been led quickly through the airport and into a waiting car, with no publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Not really in an airport, no. Which you well know.

yes really in an airport yes. it means god is great, and is effectively the same as a christian saying thank god.
    mynamejeff wrote: »
    Actually in the context that it is most usually used in it has come to mean its more like tiocfaidh ar la
    or Up the RA

in the eyes of some. however, it matters not one jot. it means god is great, and is the same as a christian saying thank god.
    Its all about context and are you seriously saying this isn't insensitive in a western country in 2017 ??

it might be to some, for which that is just tough. but ultimately it isn't.
    Time to cancel the tv license if the state broadcaster is supporting the Muslim Brotherhood.

that wasn't a great joke that.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

First Up wrote: »
    Does Irish soccer fans singing Ole Ole Ole mean they condone bullfighting?

The origin of Olé Olé Olé is flamenco no bullfighting. Nobody could condone flamenco :)

I can fully understand people annoyance at hearing Allahu Akbhar chants in Dublin Airport though, especially against the backdrop of the tricolour!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

I agree the media bear a lot of responsibility. But if an old schoolfriend or cousin or some such of mine had got themselves banged up abroad through their own foolishness and were finally released, I would be visiting them privately to welcome them home. I wouldn't be out at the airport cheering them on and behaving as if I was welcoming a brave soldier home from war or some such. Maybe I'm wrong, but I suspect a lot of the crowd were there because they loved being associated with all the drama and publicity.

But yeah, the media should not have turned his homecoming into a circus. He should have been led quickly through the airport and into a waiting car, with no publicity.

Yeah, id say it's fairly safe to assume to you're wrong. This lad as described by his classmates, was quite well liked and popular. So it's really not a stretch that they may be genuinely pleased and eager to see him. It might seem foolish now, having being jailed for 4 years.. but a peaceful protest is not something you should be getting arrested or jailed without charge for 4 years. Hardly something he could have reasonably conceived to happen.

But yes, you seem to be painting your own rather strange picture on the homecoming. I'm glad he's released, I don't view him as some hero or think for one second he's been painted like one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

STB. wrote:
    The origin of Olé Olé Olé is flamenco no bullfighting. Nobody could condone flamenco

Most usually heard at bullfights so by the logic of some posters here, Irish football fans want all bulls to die horrible deaths.

I think thats a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,267 ✭✭✭emo72

I'm glad he's home. He was a 17 yo kid. I guess it was stupid to get involved. Not many Irish kids end up addressing thousands of Muslim Brotherhood supporters. But leave that thorny question aside. My gripe is with the fact he's a Muslim brotherhood supporter. What's the thinking here are we meant to believe these beliefs are okay? They would make women subservient to men. Kill gays. Kill apostates. That's celebrating diversity I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

First Up wrote: »
    Most usually heard at bullfights so by the logic of some posters here, Irish football fans want all bulls to die horrible deaths.

I think thats a disgrace.

I think your analogy is a disgrace!

Yeah, id say it's fairly safe to assume to you're wrong. This lad as described by his classmates, was quite well liked and popular. So it's really not a stretch that they may be genuinely pleased and eager to see him. It might seem foolish now, having being jailed for 4 years.. but a peaceful protest is not something you should be getting arrested or jailed without charge for 4 years. Hardly something he could have reasonably conceived to happen.

But yes, you seem to be painting your own rather strange picture on the homecoming. I'm glad he's released, I don't view him as some hero or think for one second he's been painted like one.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭fyfe79

emo72 wrote: »
    My gripe is with the fact he's a Muslim brotherhood supporter. What's the thinking here are we meant to believe these beliefs are okay? They would make women subservient to men. Kill gays. Kill apostates. That's celebrating diversity I guess?

Interesting that Zappone is posing for photos with someone who supports a group who would have her killed without question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Not surprising to see the sinn fein lads in here defending allah akbar and this chap.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree.

We can if you like, but you stated that 'most of the crowd' for the drama or publicity. Not sure what you're basing that on or how could expect anyone to agree with such a suspicion.

She shouldn't be posing for photos at all. Fine, work diplomatically behind the scenes to get him out. But no need for public photographs in front of cheering crowds, That was really inappropriate.

We can if you like, but you stated that 'most of the crowd' for the drama or publicity. Not sure what you're basing that on or how could expect anyone to agree with such a suspicion.

I said 'a lot of the crowd'.

But, like I said, we'll have to agree to disagree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Not surprising to see the sinn fein lads in here defending allah akbar and this chap.
    Fit like a glove. If it quacks like a duck, it's most likely a duck. Allah Akbar in a airport, unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,088 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

mynamejeff wrote: »
    Actually in the context that it is most usually used in it has come to mean its more like tiocfaidh ar la
    or Up the RA

Well sams poster thinks Gerry Adams was not in RA:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭conorhal

seamus wrote: »
    So you think Muslims should be confined to saying certain words in designated locations only?

That phrase in particular is said in many contexts by Muslims, usually several times a day in normal usage, as well as in celebration, triumph, mourning and other contexts.

If someone saying it while celebrating makes you nervous, then that speaks to your ignorance.

Maybe if you saw someone running through an airport shouting it, you might have good cause to be nervous. But standing in jubilant crowd? Yeah, that's your own crap.

Ah sure next the racists will be saying he shouldn't be allowed fire his AK-47 in the air in celebration!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

None should be spent on anyone getting themselves in trouble in another country, end of story.

Bizarre statement.

Embassies exist to look after the needs of citizens abroad.

"Getting yourself in trouble" could mean pretty much anything - losing your passport while drunk, crashing a car drink-driving, getting caught in a hurricane, an earthquake, a tsunami, becoming a victim of a robbery or being falsely accused of a crime.

Regardless of contributory negligence or whose fault the crisis is, the embassy exists to help citizens abroad and it's absolutely proper they do so.
    Racist yeah good one.

Nothing to do with the fact that he supports a terrorist organization and holds beliefs that are not compatible with liberal western civilization.
    ^^^ This guy thinks that shouting "Allah Akbar" in an airport, in the West, is normal and not anything that would raise an eyebrow. Welcome to the Man from 1996.

A 10-year-old girl married a 31-year-old man in 2001. A 14-year-old girl married a 74-year-old man. Those child marriages occurred in backwards places incompatible with "western civilization" - Tennessee and Alabama.

Over 200,000 children ranging in age from 10 to 15 were married in the USA since 2001 and 91% of those children married adults. In most states, it required a judge to sign off on the child marrying an adult but some States (such as Florida) allowed it if the child was pregnant - which resulted in a lot of children being forced to marry their rapists (statutory rape).

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/14/opinion/americas-child-marriage-problem.html

I find that contrary to all values of a decent civilization yet when it happens in Somalia or Yemen it becomes another stone to throw at Islam but people turn a blind eye to the fact it happens daily in the West (primarily in Christian American Bible Belt) and it gets a "meh" reaction.

This whole "western civilization" argument is just something trotted out by xenophobes, because when you look at the supposed "bastion of western civilization" - the USA - it contains numerous backwards ideologies, laws and principles - such as the death penalty, child marriage etc - that are also found in other civilizations deemed backwards.

On balance, I much prefer the ideals of western secularist civilization but it's far from perfect and I don't see the need for moral superiority over other civilizations.

I know you probably think "our sh1t don't stink" or at least not as bad as "theirs" (and I agree I'd prefer to live here), but don't act like a lot of "their" messed-up beliefs are not to be found elsewhere - including the west.

Furthermore, so what if Ibrahim "supports" ISIS? By supports I mean in a fashion similar to supporting a GAA/soccer team - just hoping they "win". Aside from the fact he denies this, (and I don't believe he does), .... even if it's true, so what?

ETA had over 90% public support in the Basque Country during the height of their terrorism in the 1970's, where they were killing over 100 people a year in their struggle for independence from Spain. Paramilitary groups the world over often have broad public support.

Whether you like this fact or not, there are a ton of races, peoples and places on this Blue Rock that feel invaded, oppressed and victimized. People in those places often try remedy that through violence. Irish, Catalan, Basque, Rohingya, Armenians, Turkish Cypriots, Aymara Bolivians, Mapuche Argentinians etc etc etc.

There's ordinary folks in all corners of the globe (teachers, doctors, nurses, priests, bankers) who support separatist movements - including popular support to achieve those aims through violence - yet these ordinary people have no intention of ever committing a crime themselves.

It isn't a crime to cheerlead terrorist organisations if you believe they are fighting for a "just cause". It isn't a crime to hold beliefs "contrary to western civilization" - with the converse being true as well, because I'm sure there's loads of westerners working in the Middle East who are simply there for the money and don't like the culture.

We don't have a "thought police" that arrests people for messed-up opinions and it's not a crime to think a certain way.

In short, Ibrahim can think whatever way he wants. So can you. If police suspect he (or you) has committed a crime, you should both be arrested and tried in a court of law for it.

As it so happens, he was tried - and acquitted.

That's good enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

More lemons wheelie ?
    I shouted Allah akbar myself in European airports loads times and I never got a second glance .
    Harmless age old greeting.

I said 'a lot of the crowd'.

But, like I said, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Really much difference and a need to edit your post?!

A lot of a crowd, which you cannot see or wouldn't know even if you could see them.. but yet you feel confident enough to make an assertion that a lot/many/a number of them, are there simply for drama or publicity. Gotcha.

• Advertisement

davycc wrote: »
    More lemons wheelie ?
    I shouted Allah akbar myself in European airports loads times and I never got a second glance .
    Harmless age old greeting.

Terrosists supporting terrorists.

Shock shock horror horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

Time to cancel the tv license if the state broadcaster is supporting the Muslim Brotherhood.

There's no doubt imo that RTE supports the MB, "with all their faults" !
    There's also no doubt that said MB will, after today's shennagians at Dublin Airport , view Irish as friends, BUT, their enemies will see us in a different light.

Just like when we openly supported Arafats PLO (let them open an office in Dublin) and then wondered why the Israelis were murdering our soldiers in S Lebanon.

What a naive little nation we are.

Really much difference and a need to edit your post?!

A lot of a crowd, which you cannot see or wouldn't know even if you could see them.. but yet you feel confident enough to make an assertion that a lot/many/a number of them, are there simply for drama or publicity. Gotcha.

Yes there's a big difference between saying 'a lot of' and 'most'.

Why are you continuing to make the same point over and over when I've agreed to disagree? Were you there in the crowd or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Terrosists supporting terrorists.

Shock shock horror horror.

I'm glad he made it home safe.
    I don't support the mb or Isis btw
    Allah akbar. Thanks jebus.
    An Irish citizen detained without charge for four years is internment by the back door.

Hopefully the kid joins amnesty international or the un human rights watch.

Yes there's a big difference between saying 'a lot of' and 'most'.

Why are you continuing to make the same point over and over when I've agreed to disagree? Were you there in the crowd or something?

Do you want me to answer or agree to disagree?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,088 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'm glad he made it home safe
    An Irish citizen detained without charge for four years is internment by the back door.

Why do you think God is great?

I'm glad he made it home safe.
    I don't support the mb or Isis btw

You support somoene who believes gays should be culled.

Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

You support somoene who believes gays should be culled.

Even worse, they think God is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

fyfe79 wrote: »
    emo72 wrote: »
    My gripe is with the fact he's a Muslim brotherhood supporter. What's the thinking here are we meant to believe these beliefs are okay? They would make women subservient to men. Kill gays. Kill apostates. That's celebrating diversity I guess?

Interesting that Zappone is posing for photos with someone who supports a group who would have her killed without question.

It’s not about principles with the likes of Zappone - all style and no substance - media driven “lady” let’s call her. And for her next trick , when’s the next pro abortion demo? Sad to see this person as a minister in our government - only there to make up the numbers, not because of any inherent skill or ability - a yes person for Kenny, Varadker & co.

• Advertisement

Do you want me to answer or agree to disagree?

Do you want to answer or agree to disagree?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement