Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,093 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

david75 wrote: »
    Nobody is treating anyone like a hero. Their job was to cover the trial and his home coming. They did that. Show me any coverage anywhere that uses any words even remotely connected to hero.

They don't need to use the word hero to treat him like one, imo he got treated better than someone who won a medal in the Olympics or ParaOlympics returning home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Nice to see all the hunger strikes he engaged in seemed to have little or affect on his appearance. Even daddy made an effort to speak a little English wasn't he great. Such a super special moment. Oh joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Berserker wrote: »
    What's the problem with "Allah Akbar" being chanted?

Aside from the obvious connotations it has in the West (and yes we still do live in the West) that wasn't my real point. My main point was this little supporter who bleats "nope" and "proof" at everything did the exact same thing here. Straight away in for proof as if they thought "ya know what, chanting AA does sound sketchy but I doubt anyone was caught saying it, just the usual whatever-ists making things up" so asked for proof thinking there'd be none.

Why even ask for proof if it's not perceived as a controversial chant? Explain that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

What did he say about her?

Being a Politician,Mz Zappone most likely thinks that Imam Halawa's views represent simply another Political Position,which,in true Irish style,will bend,form and reform to whatever direction the Political wind happens to be blowing from.

Clearly,she regards Imam Halawa's comments as just a bit of oul banter,with no ill intent towards those of her orientation.

Imam Halawa,thankfully,is far less circumspect about what is acceptable to Him in his position.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/ibrahim-halawas-dad-blasts-homosexuality-11309046
    The father of acquitted Ibrahim Halawa has blasted homosexuality as “sinful.”
    He told the Sunday Business Post he is “general secretary” for Dublin-based Muslim think tank the European Council for Fatwa and Research.

It is chaired by controversial Qatar-based Egyptian cleric Yusuf al-Qaradawi, 90, a leading member of the Muslim Brotherhood, who advocated the death penalty for homosexuals.

Sheikh Halawa said homosexuality “has never been debated in the council”.

He added: “It has never been discussed. Never. Our place is to say what is Islamically sinful and not sinful.

“The people who do it will take the judgement in the afterlife.”

So Minister Zappone need be in no doubt whatsoever,about what Imam Halawa considers "his place" to be in relation to HER sexuality.

When Imam Halawa speaks in such terms,his words carry no little weight for his followers and adherents to his particular interpretation of The Quran.

Minister Zappone,no doubt comfortable within her liberal,supportive,understanding milleu,most likely sees little of concern in the Imam's statement.

Interestingly,there were some impressive displays of pin-head dancing to be found during the first visit of an openly homosexual Taoiseach to Imam Halawa's Mosque at the end of Eid earlier this year...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/taoiseach-s-sexual-orientation-not-an-issue-at-clonskeagh-mosque-1.3133212

Imam Halawa's views appear to have been funnelled through his long established Spokesman & Translator Dr Ali Selim,a man of equally staunch views.
    While homosexuality was “not blessed by Islam, people here are not ruled by Islam. They are ruled by the law of Ireland.” He agreed Muslims in Ireland opposed same-sex marriage because “our interpretation of the family is made of a male and a female”, he said.
    “Homosexuality is strictly forbidden in Islam hence it is not practised in the Muslim community, and if it is practiced it is extremely limited,” he said. Where it is found and proven “usually Islam calls on forgiveness and people have to be given the benefit of the doubt. It can be forgiven”.

Its practice was “a renunciation of Islam. If they believe what they are doing is wrong and they still practice it they are still Muslims but they are committing a sin”, he said.

As to whether the Taoiseach being gay was then an issue for Muslims at Clonskeagh, he replied: “No, not at all because in Ireland it is permissible. It is the law.”

Asked about cases of gay people being thrown off buildings to their deaths by the extremist Islamist group Isis, Mr Selim said “Isis live in a different context. They have their own understanding and interpretation of Sharia. Sharia law is similar to Irish law, it is entirely dependent on the way you interpret it.”

Interestingly,Dr Selim when questioned on the execution of homosexuals,appears to stop short of criticising such unique "punishments" and instead waxes lyrical about "Interpretations"......which may be of little comfort to the families of the many executed Gay & Lesbian Moslems who were misinterpreted by their brethern.

With Ibrahim's return to Ireland now achieved,the pulling aside of the Clonskeagh Curtain will doubtless see his media profile now increase,with a far greater potential for serious questioning as to the policy and future direction of Irish Islam ?.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

RTE's coverage on the Six One news, as expected, was gushing and embarrassing (for the country).
    With one of their reporters claiming he even saw a tear in an Airport Policeman's eye. Biggest welcoming home event at the airport for years, he says.

Maybe the Policeman's tear was there for another reason ...... like when he heard them shouting "Allah Akbar", which is the usual precursor of massacres at airports and concert events.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,088 ✭✭✭✭beertons

He has some beard for a young lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭Hoboo

beertons wrote: »

You could see the elastic band behind his ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

emo72 wrote: »
    I'm glad he's home. He was a 17 yo kid. I guess it was stupid to get involved. Not many Irish kids end up addressing thousands of Muslim Brotherhood supporters. But leave that thorny question aside. My gripe is with the fact he's a Muslim brotherhood supporter. What's the thinking here are we meant to believe these beliefs are okay? They would make women subservient to men. Kill gays. Kill apostates. That's celebrating diversity I guess?

have you any proof that he is a muslim brotherhood supporter? addressing a protest isn't proof as it could have been any of the egyptian political parties who's overthrowing the protest was against. it just so happened to be the mb.
    DanMurphy wrote: »
    There's no doubt imo that RTE supports the MB, "with all their faults" !
    There's also no doubt that said MB will, after today's shennagians at Dublin Airport , view Irish as friends, BUT, their enemies will see us in a different light.

Just like when we openly supported Arafats PLO (let them open an office in Dublin) and then wondered why the Israelis were murdering our soldiers in S Lebanon.

What a naive little nation we are.

to be fair, even if we didn't allow the PLO to open an office and even if we didn't support them, israel would have murdered our soldiers. we didn't side with israel no question, instead taking part in a peace keeping mission. so that would have given them legitimacy. remember the same country faked irish passports and all sorts. by rights we should have expelled israely diplomats years ago from this country. we are naive and a soft touch on some issues i would agree but i think on the issue of the PLO, it wouldn't have made much difference. israel hates ireland and we cannot fight back against them.
    gypsy79 wrote: »
    Ibrahim is a suspected terrorist

no he isn't.
    He was videoed on stage giving a speech during a hate rally, both him and his family have proven to be supporters/members of the Muslim brotherhood.

he was on stage during a protest. ibriham has not been proven to be a supporter of the mb. even his father hasn't been proven to have links, just aledged with little evidence.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

beertons wrote: »

Just watched the BBC news. Looks much older than 21 and in very good physical shape.
    Omackeral wrote: »
    Why even ask for proof if it's not perceived as a controversial chant? Explain that one?

The OP was probably being defensive. Best ask him or her to answer that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

I am outraged at Humphries. He is a horrible scumbag who honestly thought it was only paedophlia if you get caught

Ibrahim is a suspected terrorist who put himself in the firing line

Different cases

You suspect him  be a terrorist. Simply because he’s a Muslim.

The Gardai don’t suspect him of this. It’s never even been mentioned.

Your racism and stupidity are showing. Put them away.
    Islam isn't a race, anyone can subscribe to the ideology which is Islam. Don't know how many times this needs explained. It makes anything else you say intellectually null and void.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Islam isn't a race, anyone can subscribe to the ideology which is Islam. Don't know how many times this needs explained. It makes anything else you say intellectually null and void.

God damnit, I'm a bigot, not a racist!

Like being a midget among dwarves.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Frightening to hear the bellowing of allah Akbar in the RTÉ news clip. Even zappone seems taken aback. She is some clown in fairness. The joke is on the Irish people though :/

God damnit, I'm a bigot, not a racist!

Like being a midget among dwarves.
    If not liking Islam makes me or the millions of people who dislike Islam bigots, then that's fine with me. Many of us expose it for the nonsense it is.

Kivaro wrote: »
    RTE's coverage on the Six One news, as expected, was gushing and embarrassing (for the country).
    With one of their reporters claiming he even saw a tear in an Airport Policeman's eye. Biggest welcoming home event at the airport for years, he says.

Maybe the Policeman's tear was there for another reason ...... like when he heard them shouting "Allah Akbar", which is the usual precursor of massacres at airports and concert events.

Very true. The media circus around this man is Bizarre and unsettling.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Be the Egyptian government for one

Look, if you want to see his families dubious links, you can find them easy

Start here:
    http://markhumphrys.com/halawa.html

ah, the website that looks like it was made in the 90s. nope, not credible evidence as there are no actual sources of where the claims come from.
    It was absolutely right of the government to intervene and get him home.

But his arrival should have been low key with no media presence. He should have been rushed through the airport with no opportunity for photographs or statements or any kind of grandstanding. His stupid behaviour has wasted a huge amount of government and DFA Officials' time, and public money. He needs to get that message through his head, instead of behaving as if he's some kind of hero who is now going to go on to save the world and write a book etc etc.

his behaviour hasn't wasted anything. the time and money spent on him was well spent. he was entitled to protest as we all are.
    Omackeral wrote: »
    Aside from the obvious connotations it has in the West (and yes we still do live in the West) that wasn't my real point. My main point was this little supporter who bleats "nope" and "proof" at everything did the exact same thing here. Straight away in for proof as if they thought "ya know what, chanting AA does sound sketchy but I doubt anyone was caught saying it, just the usual whatever-ists making things up" so asked for proof thinking there'd be none.

who cares. the chant means god is great. no different to a christian saying thank god. the chant is a non-issue.

it doesn't. a religion can be used to attack people on the basis of their race.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Frightening to hear the bellowing of allah Akbar in the RTÉ news clip. Even zappone seems taken aback. She is some clown in fairness. The joke is on the Irish people though :/

Yet you'll hear "God Bless" mentioned every day, and don't bat an eyelid. But because it's a different language, it must be sinister.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Irish people need to make up their minds about what type of country they want and the people allowed into it.

http://theliberal.ie/irelands-prodigal-son-ibrahim-halawas-father-claims-homosexuality-is-sinful/

Yet you'll hear "God Bless" mentioned every day, and don't bat an eyelid. But because it's a different language, it must be sinister.

Don't project your simplistic thoughts onto me. Thanks

RobertKK wrote: »
    Link?

Just a child at 17 as someone said which I can only laugh at. Of course they wouldn't say that if it was at a KKK event in Alabama or some Nazi event in the East. But he is only speaking to people who would make homosexuality illegal and throw them off roof tops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

if I was freed after four years in jail for something I didn't do, I'd be running through the airport shouting much worse than that

• Advertisement

In fairness it's unusual to hear Allah Akbar screeched in an airport without the accompanying sound of explosive or gunfire. Nice change tbh.

When was the last time you heard God bless followed by the sounds of death?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Wasn't watching it and I'm not really bothered about this story since he's back now and it has very little bearing on my life, but is this what people are up in arms over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Even zappone seems taken aback. She is some clown in fairness. The joke is on the Irish people though :/

Not just her. The usual suspects backed him, including the Irish wing of Amnesty, SF and the rest of the lefties.
    Billy86 wrote: »
    Wasn't watching it and I'm not really bothered about this story since he's back now and it has very little bearing on my life, but is this what people are up in arms over?

That's it. Shocking isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

it means god is great. so of course it's normal. the same as a christian saying thank god.

We all know what it means, but by virtue of the fact that no Christians are slaughtering innocents in airports whilst shouting "Thank god", those of us with common sense, you of course excluded, have every right to be troubled by chants of Alan's Snackbar in Dublin airport. At best it's monstrously inconsiderate, at worst it's exceptionally troubling.

Billy86 wrote: »

Absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

davycc wrote: »
    More lemons wheelie ?
    I shouted Allah akbar myself in European airports loads times and I never got a second glance .
    Harmless age old greeting.

You shouted "Allah Akbar" loads of times in European airports and never got a second glance?

When was this? 1965? Certainly not in the last 15 years anyway.

I went through Orly airport last year and the police were using racial profiling there - lots of younger middle eastern lads being taken aside for questioning, additional checks etc.

I'd imagine you letting a roar of "Allah Akbar" there would have went down great.

Kivaro wrote: »

Did he sing “Ole, ole, ole”? No good homecoming without that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Normally because people don't associate god bless with commiting attrocities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,089 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If God was so great you think he have whispered somebody to let him free;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement