Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

If this is even true why would you do it anyway?

People have been slaughtered in European cites by terrorists shouting those words.

Of course it’s not true.

Except that it is, you just awake? This was already proven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    So your Muslim buddies don't follow the strictures of their faith. Shocking stuff. The young lads auld fella is the Inman at Clonskeagh what do you think are the odds that he follows the rule of his faith?
    I also know Muslims who drink, and Catholics who eat meat on the Fridays during Lent. As for this guy, sure we'll see - he's not been home since he was too young to drink anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Time to cancel the tv license if the state broadcaster is supporting the Muslim Brotherhood.

I reckon they are going easy so that they can get him on the late late show with Tubridy.

If tubs doesn't ask the awkward questions about the MB then we will know what a whitewash it is. If he is on them Tubs could probably learn from the questioning style that Gaybo used on Annie Murphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Billy86 wrote:
    I also know Muslims who drink, and Catholics who eat meat on the Fridays during Lent. As for this guy, sure we'll see - he's not been home since he was too young to drink anyway.

He was home for the last four years. ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

okay, it means god is greater. so what?a few nuts use it as a battle cry, so what?

does he not? if so, so what?he is still irish.

Someone has found a passive aggressive new catchphrase! Yay! Allah Akbar!

• Advertisement

I reckon they are going easy so that they can get him on the late late show with Tubridy.

If tubs doesn't ask the awkward questions about the MB then we will know what a whitewash it is. If he is on them Tubs could probably learn from the questioning style that Gaybo used on Annie Murphy.

That interview was an awful shambles and terrible picture of 'old Ireland'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

There had to be an awkward moment in Dublin Airport when the Takbir Allahu Akbar shouts came out.

He was home for the last four years. ; )
    He's actually home now, much as that seems to pain you.

are-we-the-baddies.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

davycc wrote: »
    Never heard of orly airport but I genuinely have shouted it in Dublin airport, Frankfurt,Munich, London, Budapest, Poland, Lisbon, .

I never got a second glance as I am just a pale white old man,.only really started doing it since after 2001 funny enough.

Be honest now, you havent actually been to Poland, have you. (Warsaw, by the way).

You should try Paris (France). Its a good 7 degress warmer right now and is getting better after they lifted their national state of emergency back in July.

Or better still trying Manchester or Brussels. They love a good jihadist joke.

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote:
    He's actually home now, much as that seems to pain you.

Doesn't pain me at all, the good news is I don't have to read or listen to anymore lies from his clan or myriad of supporters. Btw he called Egypt home and Ireland where he lived.

Doesn't pain me at all, the good news is I don't have to read or listen to anymore lies from his clan or myriad of supporters. Btw he called Egypt home and Ireland where he lived.

Link please? I'm not saying he didn't since I've not been that interested with the story generally, but after the whole 'ripped up his passport' stuff I'm not inclined to take rumours at face value either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

bajer101 wrote: »
    I'm actually hopefully. I don't worry about him coming back as a radicalised Jihadi. I think he may turn around to his father and tell him he is full of shït.

Oddly enough,I suspect that may actually turn out to be the case.

I found it of interest that Ibrahim was very quick to thank the Irish Government, and both of the Ambassadors who played such a major role in expediting his release.

I think he has repeated this at least twice since his arrival,and it is significantly at odds with the many pronouncements of his Sisters,who have resouloutely pursued a campaign against Irish Foreign Policy.

As can be seen with the Sisters joint cases against the Irish State,in relation to their attempts to set the pace for the handling of their Turkish spouses attempts to enter Ireland,they appear to be far more radical in their outlook than their brother.

Time,and passing fame will soon reveal Ibrahim Halawa,the man ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

An interesting post- but full if gapping holes I'm afraid ...

"Getting yourself in trouble" could mean pretty much anything - losing your passport while drunk, crashing a car drink-driving, getting caught in a hurricane, an earthquake, a tsunami, becoming a victim of a robbery or being falsely accused of a crime.

Regardless of contributory negligence or whose fault the crisis is, the embassy exists to help citizens abroad and it's absolutely proper they do so.

They Halawas did not just get themselves in trouble as in the examples you gave and that type of comparison provides any excuse for IH and siblings for deliberatly attending a protest called by the MB and referred by their own literature as ."A Day of Rage" - the same protest at which they spoke under a Banner proclaiming their interests. And two says later to purposely attend another protest - where ultimately they were arrested with other on the suspicion of criminal activity
    [/quote]

A 10-year-old girl married a 31-year-old man in 2001. A 14-year-old girl married a 74-year-old man. Those child marriages occurred in backwards places incompatible with "western civilization" - Tennessee and Alabama.

Over 200,000 children ranging in age from 10 to 15 were married in the USA since 2001 and 91% of those children married adults. In most states, it required a judge to sign off on the child marrying an adult but some States (such as Florida) allowed it if the child was pregnant - which resulted in a lot of children being forced to marry their rapists (statutory rape).

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/14/opinion/americas-child-marriage-problem.html

I find that contrary to all values of a decent civilization yet when it happens in Somalia or Yemen it becomes another stone to throw at Islam but people turn a blind eye to the fact it happens daily in the West (primarily in Christian American Bible Belt) and it gets a "meh" reaction.

This whole "western civilization" argument is just something trotted out by xenophobes, because when you look at the supposed "bastion of western civilization" - the USA - it contains numerous backwards ideologies, laws and principles - such as the death penalty, child marriage etc - that are also found in other civilizations deemed backwards.

On balance, I much prefer the ideals of western secularist civilization but it's far from perfect and I don't see the need for moral superiority over other civilizations.

I know you probably think "our sh1t don't stink" or at least not as bad as "theirs" (and I agree I'd prefer to live here), but don't act like a lot of "their" messed-up beliefs are not to be found elsewhere - including the west.

Many wrongs will never make a right. These practises are correctly decried for what they are. However they should not be used to berate those who criticise 'cultural' practises which are practised elsewhere on the basis 'oh well no one can say anything - coz if u do your racist' etc etc
    Furthermore, so what if Ibrahim "supports" ISIS? By supports I mean in a fashion similar to supporting a GAA/soccer team - just hoping they "win". Aside from the fact he denies this, (and I don't believe he does), .... even if it's true, so what?

Please do not kid yourself that the MB are anything but fanatics and extremists. They are not your local football team by any means of comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

AlekSmart wrote:
    I think he has repeated this at least twice since his arrival,and it is significantly at odds with the many pronouncements of his Sisters,who have resouloutely pursued a campaign against Irish Foreign Policy.

What aspects of Irish foreign policy have they campaigned against?
    AlekSmart wrote:
    As can be seen with the Sisters joint cases against the Irish State,in relation to their attempts to set the pace for the handling of their Turkish spouses attempts to enter Ireland,they appear to be far more radical in their outlook than their brother.

Radical because they have taken legal action to be re-united with their spouses? What is radical about that?

I'm Islamophobic. I hate it all. There, I said it.

gozunda wrote:
    They Halawas did not just get themselves in trouble as in the examples you gave and that type of comparison provides any excuse for IH and siblings for deliberatly attending a protest called by the MB and referred by their own literature as ."A Day of Rage" - the same protest at which they spoke under a Banner proclaiming their interests. And two says later to purposely attend another protest - where ultimately they were arrested with other on the suspicion of criminal activity
    [/quote]

You do know what the protests were about I assume?

Are you critical of all protests against military takeovers and the gunning down of protestors, or do you apply selective morality?

Wondrfullife - your post required two parts to reply to as it was over the text limit ...
    ETA had over 90% public support in the Basque Country during the height of their terrorism in the 1970's, where they were killing over 100 people a year in their struggle for independence from Spain. Paramilitary groups the world over often have broad public support.

Whether you like this fact or not, there are a ton of races, peoples and places on this Blue Rock that feel invaded, oppressed and victimized. People in those places often try remedy that through violence. Irish, Catalan, Basque, Rohingya, Armenians, Turkish Cypriots, Aymara Bolivians, Mapuche Argentinians etc etc etc.

MB are not looking for 'independence'. Again while that may go some way to explain such paramilitary groups - that does not excuse anyones involvement in such activities imo and has no bearing whatsoever on the MB and their ideological crusade.
    There's ordinary folks in all corners of the globe (teachers, doctors, nurses, priests, bankers) who support separatist movements - including popular support to achieve those aims through violence - yet these ordinary people have no intention of ever committing a crime themselves.

The MB are not separatists - their ideology is based on an extreme interpretation of islamic religous belief

It isn't a crime to cheerlead terrorist organisations
    if you believe they are fighting for a "just cause". It isn't a crime to hold beliefs "contrary to western civilization" - with the converse being true as well, because I'm sure there's loads of westerners working in the Middle East who are simply there for the money and don't like the culture.

Well it isn't accepted behaviour either and if you live and reside in the West and hold "beliefs "contrary to western civilization" - it is not going to make for either a pleasant or peaceful society - we have already seen way too many such murderous attacks in the last couple of years...
    We don't have a "thought police" that arrests people for messed-up opinions and it's not a crime to think a certain way.

In short, Ibrahim can think whatever way he wants. So can you. If police suspect he (or you) has committed a crime, you should both be arrested and tried in a court of law for it.

Well both extremism and hate speech will certainly get you noticed. Where individuals join extremist groups or are known to mix with those who are extremists that may very well bring them to the attention of the police and other interested bodies...

Yes there is such thing as suspicion by association. Is this justified? Unfortunately in the world we now live in and considering many of the atrocities perpetuated by extremists in Europe it is something that we must always be aware off.

First Up wrote: »

You do know what the protests were about I assume?

Are you critical of all protests against military takeovers and the gunning down of protestors, or do you apply selective morality?

First question:
    Yes I have researched the protests a length and in depth - something I suggest you undertake to gain a better understanding of what was going on Egypt and the role of the MB ...

Second question:
    Are you asking a loaded rhetorical question with no basis in reality or are you just looking for a good old slagging match?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

If not liking Islam makes me or the millions of people who dislike Islam bigots, then that's fine with me. Many of us expose it for the nonsense it is.

Yep, that's exactly what makes you a bigot. Glad you've accepted it. If only others here could be so honest.

• Advertisement

What aspects of Irish foreign policy have they campaigned against?

Radical because they have taken legal action to be re-united with their spouses? What is radical about that?

The maintainance of normal diplomatic relations with the Egyptian State was,and continues to be regarded by them as something that should be suspended.

A rather constant denouncing of the Irish Dept of Foreign Affairs long running, and ultimately successful,diplomatic efforts on behalf of their brother,left me,and others with a sensation that there was a greater concern with escalating the political pressure rather than the lower key approach of diplomacy.

I find it interesting that in the midst of all the controversy,the sisters somehow manage to contrive yet another series of allegations against the Dept of Foreign Affairs,for,on the surface of it,a quite justifiable reluctance to issue immediate approval to their recently accquired spouses.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/ibrahim-halawas-sisters-sue-minister-for-justice-over-delay-in-husbands-visas-790743.html
    The applicants claim the delay in deciding the Join Spouse visa applications is inordinate and unlawful and want orders compelling the Minister to decide them “forthwith”.

The delay breaches their legal rights as married couples and also breaches the Minister’s legal duties under the Constitution and the European Convention on Human Rights Act 2003, it is claimed.

The sisters also allege unlawful discrimination against them as Irish citizens exercising their rights concerning free movement rights of EU citizens and their families.

In an affidavit, Omaima Halawa said she met her husband during a family holiday in Turkey in summer 2014 and they married in August 2015 in Istanbul. Her husband applied for a visa in October 2015 but, despite several attempts since then to contact the Visa Office about the status of that, no explanation was given for the delay in deciding it.
    In her affidvait, Somaia Halawa said she met her husband in February 2015 in Turkey and they married in August 2015 in Istanbul. Her husband had applied for a Join Spouse visa in October 2015 but a decision on that has yet to be made.

I'm comfortable enough with Radical,as a description for the sequence of events unfolding as reported.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

gozunda wrote:
    First question: Yes I have researched the protests a length and in depth - something I suggest you undertake to gain a better understanding of what was going on Egypt and the roll of the MB ...

I hope your understanding of what has been going on in Egypt goes back to include the MB's founding in 1928 and how it has survived through a sucession of dictatorships and corrupt regimes.
    gozunda wrote:
    Second question: Are you asking a loaded rhetoric question with no basis in reality or are you just looking for a good old slagging match?

No, I asking if you have anything to accuse Halawa of beyond attending protests, because that seems to be all you can come up with that has any basis in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

So your Muslim buddies don't follow the strictures of their faith. Shocking stuff. The young lads auld fella is the Inman at Clonskeagh what do you think are the odds that he follows the rule of his faith?

You seem to be confusing father and son. They aren't the same person. Are you your aul lad?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

givyjoe wrote: »
    Yep, that's exactly what makes you a bigot. Glad you've accepted it. If only others here could be so honest.

He said he doesn't like Islam and that makes him a bigot?! I don't like Islam or Christianity or any religion for that matter so I guess I'm a double/triple/keep-going bigot? Labeling someone a bigot because they disagree with a religious ideology is daft. You can dislike Islam but but that doesn't mean you hate all Muslims. Same way you can dislike Christianity but not hate all Catholics. There's a difference, maybe you could learn that.

AlekSmart wrote:
    I'm comfortable enough with Radical,as a description for the sequence of events unfolding as reported.

They put pressure on DFA to use its diplomatic powers to help their brother. That is the exact opposite of suspending diplomatic relations.

The applications for their husbands have been in the works for two years and they are using legal mechanisms to have them expedited. That is the exact opposite of radical.

Billy86 wrote:
    Link please? I'm not saying he didn't since I've not been that interested with the story generally, but after the whole 'ripped up his passport' stuff I'm not inclined to take rumours at face value either.

Ah feck off with your link b.s.... Although Facebook was a great source.

I hope your understanding of what has been going on in Egypt goes back to include the MB's founding in 1928 and how it has survived through a sucession of dictatorships and corrupt regimes.

No, I asking if you have anything to accuse Halawa of beyond attending protests, because that seems to be all you can come up with that has any basis in fact.

I would certainly not "accuse" him of anything,however there is a world of difference between "attending" protests as a passer by,holidaymaker or interested observer and taking a centre-stage position,claiming to represent "Egyptians Abroad" whilst stridently calling for further resistance and direct action against the Government of the day.

It's good to see him home safe,and hopefully he will take time-out to reflect and consider his next step,rather than be shepherded into becoming a poster-boy for,less than Western ideals.

They put pressure on DFA to use its diplomatic powers to help their brother. That is the exact opposite of suspending diplomatic relations.

The applications for their husbands have been in the works for two years and they are using legal mechanisms to have them expedited. That is the exact opposite of radical.

In your opinion,but I'm afraid I'll remain conservatively sceptical if you don't mind ?

Ah feck off with your link b.s.... Although Facebook was a great source.
    If you can't provide a link of him saying it, you're just making it up - not much different from people claiming he ripped up his Irish passport.

• Advertisement

AlekSmart wrote:
    I would certainly not "accuse" him of anything,however there is a world of difference between "attending" protests as a passer by,holidaymaker or interested observer and taking a centre-stage position,claiming to represent "Egyptians Abroad" whilst stridently calling for further resistance and direct action against the Government of the day.

The "government of the day" being the army who had just overthrown the elected government and killed up to 500 people who were protesting about that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement