Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

"The first comment you made referred to Ireland and Trumps affects on angry white men .Now it's Europe. I think you're all over the place same as I think your post in general is b.s.. but then again I'm angry.lol"

Trump has absolutely affected and has absolutely encouraged something that was already brewing - right wing angry white men. It has happened very much in Western Europe. This whole idea around middle aged straight white men feeling like the system they built has somehow failed them is what I'm talking about. What makes it absolutely laughable is how they preach how victimised they are by people who preach to be victimised. Hilar.

For the record, I am very much politically central... This whole IH situation is eyerolling for a number of reasons (his dad's connections to the MB, their story changing by the min, his childish actions during the riots etc.) but what I find funny about debates like this, the #metoo debacle, and other society issues, is how men are somehow victimised in all of this and feel they are not being heard.... when it's pretty much them who drown out the other noises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

dav3 wrote: »
    How can your counter fairy tales? Most people just laugh at him and rightly so.

At least he's desperately trying to cover his tracks now. He's got a lot of tweets to get through though.

I have no idea where the burning of the passport fairy tale originated from, or who kept perpetuating the fairy tale. No idea.

https://twitter.com/markhumphrys/status/663863185787736064

https://twitter.com/markhumphrys/status/663978158379696128

NEW: The story that Ibrahim Halawa burnt his Irish passport may actually be true.

2015 tweets dude.
    Refresh, and note "may"
    (AFIIR he's changed his position since)

People normally debunk fairy tales with truths. E.g "sorry kids, there's no Santa, that's me and your mom. Tooth fairy? Yup, that's us too."

Do where exactly is Humphries factually wrong. Where has he libelled the Halawa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

dav3 wrote:
    How can your counter fairy tales? Most people just laugh at him and rightly so.

You claimed they were fairy tales I asked you to counter them. All I see is waffle from you but nothing to back up your claims. So I can assume you're nothing but a spoofer.
    Btw whose most people ? I see people attempting to speak on behalf of some majority. Who is this majority you speak for?

never_mind wrote:
    For the record, I am very much politically central... This whole IH situation is eyerolling for a number of reasons (his dad's connections to the MB, their story changing by the min, his childish actions during the riots etc.) but what I find funny about debates like this, the #metoo debacle, and other society issues, is how men are somehow victimised in all of this and feel they are not being heard.... when it's pretty much them who drown out the other noises.

So it's just men you wish to single out in your ramblings?. How quaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

never_mind wrote: »
    "The first comment you made referred to Ireland and Trumps affects on angry white men .Now it's Europe. I think you're all over the place same as I think your post in general is b.s.. but then again I'm angry.lol"

Trump has absolutely affected and has absolutely encouraged something that was already brewing - right wing angry white men. It has happened very much in Western Europe. This whole idea around middle aged straight white men feeling like the system they built has somehow failed them is what I'm talking about. What makes it absolutely laughable is how they preach how victimised they are by people who preach to be victimised. Hilar.

But that’s only what is happening according to a certain demographic. Doesn’t make it true.

• Advertisement

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    So it's just men you wish to single out in your ramblings?. How quaint.

Yes as they are the most vocal - this is a pedestrian observation and not one backed by any real research - wouldn't you agree that it's men who seem to be on this random bandwagon?

But that’s only what is happening according to a certain demographic. Doesn’t make it true.

Do you not read Journal/Boards.ie comments? All men. All whining. About snowflakes. About being disenfranchised. About being unheard. About being marginalized. About being victimized.

These men should man up, let's be honest.

never_mind wrote:
    Yes as they are the most vocal - this is a pedestrian observation and not one backed by any real research - wouldn't you agree that it's men who seem to be on this random bandwagon?

So nothing more than your own sexist observations, gotcha.

Is it a band wagon or is it just a reaction to the idea that for some reason there are people perpetuating the idea that being a white, straight man is something to be ashamed of now?

So nothing more than your own sexist observations, gotcha.

Ah god, did I offend the snowflake??

• Advertisement

Do you not read Journal/Boards.ie comments? All men. All whining. About snowflakes. About being disenfranchised. About being unheard. About being marginalized. About being victimized.

These men should man up, let's be honest.

You’re the first one I seen mention snowflakes in this thread...

never_mind wrote:

So you are ascribing gender to made up names on the internet, to back up your assertion. Couldn't make it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

You claimed they were fairy tales I asked you to counter them. All I see is waffle from you but nothing to back up your claims. So I can assume you're nothing but a spoofer.
    Btw whose most people ? I see people attempting to speak on behalf of some majority. Who is this majority you speak for?

That's quite rich coming from the guy point blank refusing to back up his claims.

Is it a band wagon or is it just a reaction to the idea that for some reason there are people perpetuating the idea that being a white, straight man is something to be ashamed of now?

See this is the thing - it is white, straight men perpetuating this absolutely fantasy that being a white, straight man is something to be ashamed of. It is ludicrous and insulting to what feminism is about - equality of both men and women - why don't straight, white men then latch onto feminism if they feel that they're being let down by sexism? Instead they have latched onto white nationalism as they cling desperately onto an imagined cultural identity so they feel more 'manly'.

And yes, this is me being sexist against people who have displayed sexism... It is me categorizing a small, but very vocal, cohort of men who are so very, very angry because society has progressed and sees things differently now. It's funny because it is white, straight men who championed capitalism and neo-liberalism in the first place! The mind boggles.

So you are ascribing gender to made up names on the internet, to back up your assertion. Couldn't make it up.

So you don't think that this is the case? You don't think that there is a small but vocal cohort of angry white men on the internet getting embroiled in stupid 'snowflake'/millennial debates?

LOL (sorry for the caps - this is an acroynm)

never_mind wrote:
    Ah god, did I offend the snowflake??

Not at all, your stupidity is what offends tbh.

See this is the thing - it is white, straight men perpetuating this absolutely fantasy that being a white, straight man is something to be ashamed of. It is ludicrous and insulting to what feminism is about - equality of both men and women - why don't straight, white men then latch onto feminism if they feel that they're being let down by sexism? Instead they have latched onto white nationalism as they cling desperately onto an imagined cultural identity so they feel more 'manly'.

And yes, this is me being sexist against people who have displayed sexism... It is me categorizing a small, but very vocal, cohort of men who are so very, very angry because society has progressed and sees things differently now. It's funny because it is white, straight men who championed capitalism and neo-liberalism in the first place! The mind boggles.

Yeah that’s just an opinion. One that I don’t agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Jaysus Ireland has really been affected by Trump... the comments here are like reading his twitter! WHITE MAN ANGRY WITH FEELING SO VERY NOT LISTENED TO. SAD. F'IN SNOW FLAKES. BUT TREAT ME SPECIAL PLEASE.

Yep the usual waffle.
    It was all angry white men that elected trump.
    Funny how states that had actually helped Barack Obama be elected president twice all became racist at the last election.
    :rolleyes:
    I'm not backing away. I think there has been a social shift to the right in Europe and that it has affected the language and discourse used by a group of men online... I think that Trump is very much an icon and symbol for this shift (which was happening long before Trump was elected - I think he is symptomatic rather than the cause of this shift).

I was capitalizing for effect, get on with the convo.

The reason there has been a social shift to the right is the left has gone up it's own ass at this stage and the centre is chasing after it.
    The left used to be concerned about the lot of ordinary working class people and the equality of the sexes/genders.
    Recently it seems to be quite willing to fook it's own past voters under the bus of increased immigration of people who will compete against their own past voters for ever shrinking resources.

And it is no longer seeking to create equality between sexes but create ever more sexes/genders.
    Grayson wrote: »
    And there's far more muslims than the few there are in saudi.

I have known a few Pakistanis that I initially thought were quite liberal, that was of course until I was introduced to their wives.
    Shaking hands was a no no, actually letting them proceed down a corridor before us was a no no, asking for their opinion on a matter was definitely a no no.

That was an eye opener as to how they viewed the lot of women.

And these were the ones that hadn't openly viewed and commented on women in western dress as whores.

And yes I have also known Pakistanis that weren't like that, but the hardliner misogynists definitely exist outside of the likes of Saudi.

I am not allowed discuss …

Billy86 wrote:
    That's quite rich coming from the guy point blank refusing to back up his claims.

What claims ? Take your time. I know honesty is something of a struggle for you but I'll wait. ; )

Not at all, your stupidity is what offends tbh.

I think that I have provided a fair few points over the 140 character limit, Hitman, maybe try fleshing out your arguments rather than just jumping to insults.

• Advertisement

Yeah that’s just an opinion. One that I don’t agree with.

Fair enough.

never_mind wrote:
    So you don't think that this is the case? You don't think that there is a small but vocal cohort of angry white men on the internet getting embroiled in stupid 'snowflake'/millennial debates?

Claiming you know the gender of posters behind made up names on the internet is b.s. tbh.
    Oddly it's you that keeps using the term snowflake.

never_mind wrote:
    I think that I have provided a fair few points over the 140 character limit, Hitman, maybe try fleshing out your arguments rather than just jumping to insults.

No jumping here, I responded in kind. You have back tracked several times now so quite difficult to pin down any comment to dissect.

Claiming you know the gender of posters behind made up names on the internet is b.s. tbh.
    Oddly it's you that keeps using the term snowflake.

Fab.

I'm out, lads, this was nice to kill an hour - off to go for a walk and try not to worry about right wing / left wing fascists destroy our progress.

There was one use of the word snowflake in this thread before never_mind arrived on the scene. It was over a month ago but yeah... all these straight, white men just go around calling everyone snowflakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

What claims ? Take your time. I know honesty is something of a struggle for you but I'll wait. ; )

Your claim that this guy "called Egypt home and Ireland where he lived". I asked you for a link to back that up as I had not heard it, and you point blank refused to. Yet here you are only a few hours later giving out about someone else not backing up their claims.

2f66dc5e246811be8a3f433f643781c3.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 86,093 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Who is getting him this weekend, Ryan or Ray?

A gif. The calling card of someone who has run out of argument but would like to think they won.

• Advertisement

A gif. The calling card of someone who has run out of argument but would like to think they won.

It's really not that Fake Sheikh, it's that I actually don't see this argument going anywhere at all - it's why I very rarely engage in internet debate - it's cyclical, toxic, repetitive .... does anyone even have meaningful exchange or actually listen to other opinions? This is another debate that we could have but it would just run in circles.

And I stand by my fabulous choice in gif.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement