Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

elperello wrote:
    No but until I started reading some of the stuff on this thread I had a child like faith in human nature.

Next you'll be telling us you have also shouted Allah Akbar in European airports without any consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,854 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    His faith and culture claims he is a man at 17. I'm happy to respect both his faith and culture. ; )

Here

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/120441/Egypt/Politics-/Egyptian-cabinet-approves-amendment-to-lower-age-o.aspx

elperello wrote:
    Here

Oh dear I said his faith and culture. Have a look at the legal age of marriage in Egypt and them the accepted age condoned by Shria law. Slight difference to say the least.

Please direct your complaints to the Egyptian government.
    Last I heard they make what passes for law there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Tis funny the stuff people are posting.
    At 17 you are responsible for your own actions you are not treated like a child because you are not one.

More so if you decide to go over to another country and protest With sisters, and say it was just a holiday.

deco nate wrote: »
    Tis funny the stuff people are posting.
    At 17 you are responsible for your own actions you are not treated like a child because you are not one.

See post above.

elperello wrote:
    Please direct your complaints to the Egyptian government. Last I heard they make what passes for law there.

No complaints here, the present Egyptian government stopped the clowns in the MB from changing the constitution lesser of two evils in my opinion. If the young Halawa lad had stayed away from violent protest he would have been back in Ireland 4 years ago. Daddy has a lot to answer for. ; )

No complaints here, the present Egyptian government stopped the clowns in the MB from changing the constitution lesser of two evils in my opinion. If the young Halawa lad had stayed away from violent protest he would have been back in Ireland 4 years ago. Daddy has a lot to answer for. ; )

Glad you have no complaints.
    Can we agree that the legal age of majority in Egypt is 18?

elperello wrote: »
    Please direct your complaints to the Egyptian government.
    Last I heard they make what passes for law there.

Why should I? Also why should the Irish government bow to the sisters suing the Irish just because they want to bring in their husbands above others?
    Why are they so special??
    Above others that are waiting and not trying to force it through?

• Advertisement

elperello wrote:
    Glad you have no complaints. Can we agree that the legal age of majority in Egypt is 18?

Why what difference does it make? At 17 you are not a child. Plus you have to take his culture and faith into account. With those guys Shria law seems to trump civil law.
    Of course I have no complaints. He wasted 4 years of his life for what? A dispised group of dark ages bigots. Hope it was worth it.lol.

Why what difference does it make? At 17 you are not a child. Plus you have to take his culture and faith into account. With those guys Shria law seems to trump civil law.
    Of course I have no complaints. He wasted 4 years of his life for what? A dispised group of dark ages bigots. Hope it was worth it.lol.

It's like trying to get a child to take his medicine!
    How can I sweeten this for you.

elperello wrote: »
    It's like trying to get a child to take his medicine!
    How can I sweeten this for you.

You won't. It's OK. I know you don't answer questions that are ask of you an other posters on this thread.

You all just try to deflect, rinse and repeat...

elperello wrote:
    It's like trying to get a child to take his medicine! How can I sweeten this for you.

You getting upset pet because I won't agree you? You must find life extremely distressing. May I suggest setting up a WhatsApp group so you and all the other Halawa fanboys and gals can have your own echo chamber. No need to thank me for the suggestion. Goodnight sweetheart. ; )

Why should I? Also why should the Irish government bow to the sisters suing the Irish just because they want to bring in their husbands above others?

Because the Egyptian government/parliament are the only ones who can change the law in Egypt. That is unless another bunch of cut throats shoves them out.

You getting upset pet because I won't agree you? You must find life extremely distressing. May I suggest setting up a WhatsApp group so you and all the other Halawa fanboys and gals can have your own echo chamber. No need to thank me for the suggestion. Goodnight sweetheart. ; )

I'm not at all upset, just bemused that you find running away from facts and logic so much fun.
    By the way you know nothing about me so quit with the unwanted suggestions.

You won't. It's OK. I know you don't answer questions that are ask of you an other posters on this thread.

You all just try to deflect, rinse and repeat...

OK go for it what is your question?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I suppose the Moslem Brotherhood need their celeb activist here. Useful for them.

who are the "Moslem Brotherhood" what is a "Moslem"

i have heard of muslem and the muslem brotherhood but not moslem and the moslem brotherhood.
    RobertKK wrote: »
    Standing behind a banner that says Egyptians abroad...sure we would all be standing behind a banner that says that being Irish.

irrelevant. he is as irish as you and me.
    His faith and culture claims he is a man at 17. I'm happy to respect both his faith and culture. ; )

irrelevant waffle.

because they are entitled to use the legal system. the legal system will determine whether they have a case or not.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

who are the "Moslem Brotherhood" what is a "Moslem"

i have heard of muslem and the muslem brotherhood but not moslem and the moslem brotherhood.

ha! smartars3
    Muslim

(ˈmʊzlɪm; ˈmʌz-) or Moslem

n, pl -lims or -lim (Islam) a follower of the religion of Islam

adj (Islam) of or relating to Islam, its doctrines, culture, etc

[C17: from Arabic, literally: one who surrenders]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Why did his parents allow him and his sisters to travel alone to a nation in turmoil?

If this guy sees himself as Irish why did he take part in anti government / pro muslim brotherhood protests when it was clearly getting violent?

If he's Irish it's no more his business than it is mine surely. Maybe since he is of Egyptian descent he felt he had some skin in the game but if the protesters are being met with violence and mass incarceration without trial surely he would have thought the better of it? But he still decided to get involved, why?

Did he feel he was supporting a worthwhile cause?

Did any media outlets ask these questions?

Do some people here honestly see nothing odd about all of the above? Do you not think he and his family have questions to answer?

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    Why did his parents allow him and his sisters to travel alone to a nation in turmoil?

If this guy sees himself as Irish why did he take part in anti government / pro muslim brotherhood protests when it was clearly getting violent?

If he's Irish it's no more his business than it is mine surely. Maybe since he is of Egyptian descent he felt he had some skin in the game but if the protesters are being met with violence and mass incarceration without trial surely he would have thought the better of it? But he still decided to get involved, why?

Did he feel he was supporting a worthwhile cause?

Did any media outlets ask these questions?

he is fully irish. as irish as you and me.
    he took part in a protest against the murder of those protesting the overthrow of the legitimate democratically elected government andsubsiquent banning of the political party from taking part in the new elections.

he's also Egyptian

he took part in a protest against the murder of those protesting the overthrow of the legitimate democratically elected government andsubsiquent banning of the political party from taking part in the new elections.

I have no problem with him being Irish, I agree with you there.

Do you think it was odd that his parents let him and his siblings go there unattended to take part in protests when it was clearly getting violent?

Do you think it was odd that his parents let him and his siblings go there unattended to take part in protests when it was clearly getting violent?

in fairness, his auld lad left no stone unturned, spared no effort to secure his release over the past 4 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 86,096 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

When can we expect Keeping up with the Halawas :p

I have no problem with him being Irish, I agree with you there.

it was certainly il-advised yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

he is fully irish. as irish as you and me

No he's not...he may be an Irish citizen,He may be born here but he certainly isn't as Irish as me and Ibrahim himself agrees.

I have no problem with this guy being Irish and I'm glad he's home and safe.

I just don't understand how people can totally dismiss the notion that there might be more to this than it seems. First we have the narrative that he's just there on holiday / visiting family or whatever. Grand. Odd timing considering what was happening over there but whatever.

But then the video of him and his sisters addressing a crowd at a muslim brotherhood / anti government rally surfaces so that blows that story out of the water. Do people not think it logical to assume (at the lack of any info from the family themselves, the fathers silence has been deafening throughout) that they may be involved with this organisation? The eqytian authorities obviously thought he was, the only reason he was released is because of the pressure the Irish goverment brought to bear.

I don't think the guy and his family are terrorists or even dangerous at all. Id just like more of an explanation, or due some explaining considering this guy was helped out at great expense to the irish tax payer.
    it was certainly il-advised yes

So why do you think he went over?

I'm trying to look at this as logically as I can considering the limited info we have, and I can't come to any conclusion that doesn't involve support for a terrorist organisation, a severe lack of judgement from the lads parents, or straight up neglegence.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Well as no-one here really knows each others actual nationality - how does anyone know then

a) that you're Irish?
    b) that I'm Irish?

Ok we have seen IH has a recently issued (temporary) Irish passport - it is safe to assume he has Irish citizenship

Does he feel Irish? Does he believe he is Irish?
    Maybe - but we do know that he has publicacly stated that he is from Egypt and 'lives' in Ireland .....

Nope ... the above is all unsubstantiated opinion that has already been subject to several posts. Repeating wont make it fact you know - 100 % or otherwise ...

Re. OH protesting?
    Btw - though you said he was on holiday? Unusual activity to spend several weeks protesting whilst on holiday no?

• Advertisement

gitzy16v wrote: »
    No he's not...he may be an Irish citizen,He may be born here but he certainly isn't as Irish as me and Ibrahim himself agrees.

he is as irish as you.
    I have no problem with this guy being Irish and I'm glad he's home and safe.

I just don't understand how people can totally dismiss the notion that there might be more to this than it seems. First we have the narrative that he's just there on holiday / visiting family or whatever. Grand. Odd timing considering what was happening over there but whatever.

But then the video of him and his sisters addressing a crowd at a muslim brotherhood / anti government rally surfaces so that blows that story out of the water. Do people not think it logical to assume (at the lack of any info from the family themselves, the fathers silence has been deafening throughout) that they may be involved with this organisation? The eqytian authorities obviously thought he was, the only reason he was released is because of the pressure the Irish goverment brought to bear.

I don't think the guy and his family are terrorists or even dangerous at all. Id just like more of an explanation, or due some explaining considering this guy was helped out at great expense to the irish tax payer.

So why do you think he went over?

I'm trying to look at this as logically as I can considering the limited info we have, and I can't come to any conclusion that doesn't involve support for a terrorist organisation, a severe lack of judgement from the lads parents, or straight up neglegence.

the egyptians released him as they had no evidence that he was guilty when it came down to it. there are questions in relation to the video as to whether it actually was ibriham and his sisters. there was another video which it was claimed showed him burning his passport (a claim now shown to be fake news) but it was actually a british man in it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement