Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

gozunda wrote: »
    Well as no-one here really knows each others actual nationality - how does anyone know then

a) that you're Irish?
    b) that I'm Irish?

Ok we have seen IH has a recently issued (temporary) Irish passport - it is safe to assume he has Irish citizenship

Does he feel Irish? Does he believe he is Irish?
    Maybe - but we do know that he has publicacly stated that he is from Egypt and 'lives' in Ireland .....

ibriham is irish.
    Nope ... the above is all unsubstantiated opinion that has already been subject to several posts. Repeating wont make it fact you know - 100 % or otherwise ...

no it's fact. the fact that it's fact means it's fact.
    Re. OH protesting?
    Btw - though you said he was on holiday? Unusual activity to spend several weeks protesting whilst on holiday no?

the family said they were on holiday and got caught up in the protest. that hasn't been disproved.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

he is as irish as you.

Nope,wrong again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

he is as irish as you.

As previous- you have no idea how Irish any poster here is or otherwise
    the egyptians released him as they had no evidence that he was guilty when it came down to it. there are questions in relation to the video as to whether it actually was ibriham and his sisters. there was another video which it was claimed showed him burning his passport (a claim now shown to be fake news) but it was actually a british man in it.

How much of his release was down to political pressure and diplomatic arrangements by the Irish government? We know for sure that he was moved into the VIP section of the Tora prison on the basis of such pressure. It would appear nominally that the same could be said of his release etc

The alledged passport burning has now been consigned to the rubbish heap due largely to the mutable state of social media ...

The sisters (Fatima and Nosayba) have previously confirmed they were a) attending the protest and b) on that video

The sound track contains audio that has detail of the sisters stating their names and where their from ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

elperello wrote: »
    Culture is sociological
    Age is chronological

And time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so!

ibriham is irish.

Yes but does he believe he is Irish?

Are you Irish?

How do you know I'm Irish?

As said he has stated publicly that he is from Egypt and lives in Ireland ...

It was lucky for him he was given a temporary Irish passport to help get him out of trouble ...
    no it's fact. the fact that it's fact means it's fact.
    You saying so does not make it fact. It appears to rather simplified opinion at best ...
    the family said they were on holiday and got caught up in the protest. that hasn't been disproved.

The story from them has changed so many times now. They appear to have deliberately attended the protests in a period that lasted several weeks - that's not 'caught up I'm by any stretch of the imagination...

• Advertisement

Yes but does he believe he is Irish?
    Ah jaysus, scraping the barrel here.

You don't become a citizen of Ireland, i.e. Irish, on foot of a 'belief', despite what is (falsely) attributed to the Duke of Wellington.

I wonder how many people would say some sixth-generation New Yorker is 'Irish' based on their "feeling"? You can't have it both ways.

Any attempt to reject Halawa's Irishness is about as close to the 'No true Scotsman' fallacy that you can get. It doesn't deserve to be taken seriously. He's Irish, guys. Get over it.

Interesting things learnt on this thread today

Q. Is IH "Irish"
    A. Yes / No / It depends .. it is not clear how IH feels whether Egyptian / Irish or both ...

Q. Does IH have Irish Citizenship
    A. Yes - He was recently given a temporary Irish passport

Q. What was IH and his siblings doing in Egypt
    A. On holiday / Protesting / Protesting on Holiday

Q. What was IH & siblings protesting about?
    A. Evidence indicated they were there to support and speak at the Muslim Brotherhood protests - one of which was called by the MB as the "Day of Rage" ...

Q. DID the Irish government help secure IHs release
    A. More than likley

Q. What is the MB?
    A. The Muslim brotherhood were briefly in power in Egpyt - prior to widespread anti MB protests due to the abuse of power by the MB president M. Morsi . These anti MB protests were followed by a military style coup in which government rule was removed from the extremist MB party

Note: The MB is now a proscribed terrorist organisation in Egypt and in many other Arab countries...

Ah jaysus, scraping the barrel here.

You don't become a citizen of Ireland, i.e. Irish, on foot of a 'belief', despite what is (falsely) attributed to the Duke of Wellington.

I wonder how many people would say some sixth-generation New Yorker is 'Irish' based on their "feeling"? You can't have it both ways.

Any attempt to reject Halawa's Irishness is about as close to the 'No true Scotsman' fallacy that you can get. It doesn't deserve to be taken seriously. He's Irish, guys. Get over it.

That's not the issue under discussion.
    There's a very real difference in having an Irish passport or any other passport and a person's feelings about their identity. OH has stated that he is "from Egypt" but "Lives in Ireland" even though it has been stated he was born in Ireland - figure that one out for yourself ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

How much did it all cost? How much did it cost relative to how much does is cost to provide services to the average irish person every year?seems like reverse discrimination to me.

Interesting things learnt on this thread today

Q. Is IH irish
    A. Yes / No / It depends ..
    It doesn't.

He was born in the Coombe in 1995 (the application of jus soli survived until January 1st 2005). I'm not engaging with this, you can't rewrite the rules of nationality based on your 'feeling', or that of anybody else's. I'll leave you to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

ibriham is irish.

His culture, heritage and blood is Egyptian, being born in Ireland does not change that.

Absolute nonsense.
    They deliberately set out to take part in what was extremely aggressive protests which turned violent and bloody.
    In early July they spent a long time, every day for weeks at the Rabaa camp ""The Halawas were at Rabaa all day every day," says Aly Zein, a coordinator for [the MB group EAD] who became friends with the siblings during the sit-in.
    This protest ended in violence and deaths.
    Did it stop or deter them, no it did not!
    They went on to give speeches from the back of a trailer.
    Then they went to take part in a protest titled The Day of Rage, which any fool knew was not going to be a walk in the park, was going to be heated and end up violent and bloody.
    These were deliberate acts of taking part, not just happened to get caught up in the moment.

It doesn't.

He was born in the Coombe in 1995 (the application of jus soli survived until January 1st 2005). I'm not engaging with this, you can't rewrite the rules of nationality based on your 'feeling', or that of anybody else's. I'll leave you to it.

My reply to the above again ...

There's a very real difference in having an Irish passport or any other passport and a person's feelings about their identity. OH has stated that he is "from Egypt" but "Lives in Ireland" even though it has been stated he was born in Ireland - figure that one out for yourself ...

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

He was 17 years of age. He was his fathers responsibilty by law. Why was the father not questioned. His father sent him to Egypt in a revolutionary circumstance. He was a brainwashed kid. His father should have been questioned about his paternal failures. It seems that ideology came befofe family. Shame on daddy Halawa.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

none of that changes the fact he is 100% irish.
    smurgen wrote: »
    How much did it all cost? How much did it cost relative to how much does is cost to provide services to the average irish person every year?seems like reverse discrimination to me.

send a FOI request to the relevant department.
    K.Flyer wrote: »
    His culture, heritage and blood is Egyptian, being born in Ireland does not change that.

he is irish. suck it up.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

quintana76 wrote: »
    He was 17 years of age. He was his fathers responsibilty by law. Why was the father not questioned. His father sent him to Egypt in a revolutionary circumstance. He was a brainwashed kid. His father should have been questioned about his paternal failures. It seems that ideology came befofe family. Shame on daddy Halawa.

Does daddy work?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Daddy has an imam vibe going on. Reasonably paid I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Mr amnesty international, Colm O’Gorman contradicts the official narrative of “just on holiday” bs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

You expect the above to be believed considering the multitude of lies his family told? This and the previous threads demonstrate what kind of gullible and deluded individuals reside in this state.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,101 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I will have to Apologise to O Gorman.

Maybe he is not talking BS;)

none of that changes the fact he is 100% irish
    he is irish. suck it up.

You appear to be ignoring the obvious and replacing it with your own ideas

It is clear that what was being discussed was IHs own feelings about his identity not his citizenship.

As said before it would appear that IH has held the belief that he only "Lives in Ireland" and is "from Egypt" - would you change that on his behalf? Are you telling him what he should think - it certainly looks that way from your repeated and your misdirected assertions on this thread...
    Why is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

who are the "Moslem Brotherhood" what is a "Moslem"

i have heard of muslem and the muslem brotherhood but not moslem and the moslem brotherhood.

I'm sorry but there is no way, no possible way, that this is a ligitimate account.

That one who spends all their time arguing in any fora that might involve Islam, does not understand that "Moslem" is perfectly acceptable, whilst believing the correct spelling is actually Muslem, cannot be genuine.

No one could possibly be so... Nope, not going there, but honestly this is like the time said poster told me to get off my "pedal stool", pedal stool, I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

There’s some amount of racism, begrudgery and islamophobia on this thread.

Look at the end of the Ibrahim Halawa was nothing more than a foolish teenager who made a foolish choice and paid for it in the worst way.

And Luke it or not he was born and raised here - that makes him Irish regardless of his name, religion or the color of his skin.

I'm sorry but there is no way, no possible way, that this is a ligitimate account.

That one who spends all their time arguing in any fora that might involve Islam, does not understand that "Moslem" is perfectly acceptable, whilst believing the correct spelling is actually Muslem, cannot be genuine.

No one could possibly be so... Nope, not going there, but honestly this is like the time said poster told me to get off my "pedal stool", pedal stool, I love it.

I think you may have a point

With the amount of repeated misinformation being posted again and again is it possible we have an active pro clonskeagh shrill?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Look at the end of the Ibrahim Halawa was nothing more than a foolish teenager who made a foolish choice and paid for it in the worst way.

And Luke it or not he was born and raised here - that makes him Irish regardless of his name, religion or the color of his skin.

Again with this. Where's the racism? Where's the mention of his skin colour? Only ones mentioning his race are those looking for a race angle.

As for begrudgery... I'm at a loss there. What's to begrudge?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

I have an issue with the group and its beliefs he was protesting for.

Its not acceptable in Ireland and never will be.

Its really as simple as that.

Is it so because you say it? No

What about IH own views on his identity - are you ignoring that as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

none of that changes the fact he is 100% irish.

send a FOI request to the relevant department.

he is irish. suck it up.

I worked and lived in Germany for a number of years, all my job was in English,
    apparently I was entitled to a German passport.
    I could probably order a beer in German, maybe have a basic basic conversation - but I am EMBARRASSED about my ****e level of German for living there for so long.

Am I German ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

That word should be eradicated. I haven't seen Catholics anytime on this forum crying about Christianphobia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

I wouldn't worry about it. Here on planet earth, everyone, along with the Halawas, are getting on with their lives.

There are only a few headcases left still crying that nobody is listening to them. It's all part of a grand conspiracy. They'll settle down eventually. They always do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

When you can't put forth a valid argument the deflaut positin is to suggest all others are racists. Well played Madam....at making yourself look stupid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement