Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

dav3 wrote:
    There are only a few headcases left still crying that nobody is listening to them. It's all part of a grand conspiracy. They'll settle down eventually. They always do.

The good thing about this episode is the highlighting of the activities of the Halawa clan and Clonskeagh Mosque's links to the MB. As for the fan boys and gals of the Clan, I suggest to research the term "useful idiot". Never a phrase more appropriate. ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

david75 wrote: »
    Do you have trouble reading or is it just comprehension? We’re you even here for that referendum? The entire no campaign was run by a hard right catholic faction and their nonsense was what lost it for them. That 38% contains almost emtritely a ‘tradtional’ Catholic demographic and predominantly rural. Hardly the most enlightened of people. How is Ireland’s and the churches history of treatment of women as second class citizens or gay people as abhorrent any different to the view taken by MB etc?

Is making patheitc attempts to insult me or anyone the very best you can do? You’re probably part of the rot that’s anti progressive anti everything you deem ‘left’ or liberal. I’d feel bad for you but I’m happy knowing that Ireland and the likes of you are an almost extinct breed in real life. Yis are alive and well behind your keyboards though. Pathetic.

HA ! the Irony here, yet you are happy to defend the most bigoted ideology of them all ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

I can't believe there is people here willing to support him so strongly knowing about the muslim brother hood and its views.

Its mind boggling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

gozunda wrote: »
    Is it so because you say it? No

What about IH own views on his identity - are you ignoring that as well?

He's Irish. It's not a debate. You need to get over it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

I can't believe there is people here willing to support him so strongly knowing about the muslim brother hood and its views.

Its mind boggling.

George Soros has multiple accounts on here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

He's Irish. It's not a debate. You need to get over it.

It's not a debate --its a discussion!

However we are not discussing IHs citezinship

So why are you denying IHs statements about his identity and replacing them with your own?

Why is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Again we are not discussing IHs citezinship
    So why are you denying IHs statements about his identity?

Why is that?

You clearly are. You need to move on. Go outside, live life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

That word should be eradicated. I haven't seen Catholics anytime on this forum crying about Christianphobia

Just remember what the Hitch said about "Islamaphobia" ... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Play the ball. Resorting to stupid insults will not further any of the issues under discusion.

I am very interested why are you attempting to push your self determined identity agenda on to IHs own stated beliefs?

Your opinions does not change the facts that IHs has stated that he 'lives in Ireland and is 'from Egypt.

Provide a decent argument to refute that and I may take your posts seriousley...

Or you could take your own advice.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

There seems to be allot of misunderstanding in the difference in Citizenship and Identity.

Citizenship is a finite item prescribed by a set of laws.

Identity is a much more fluid thing and will sometimes align with citizenship and sometimes not. People’s personal identity can change through circumstances and for some or remains static all their lives.

One cannot project identity onto someone based on ones own values.

While always am Irish Citizen my guess is this person has at different times felt both Irish and Egyptian, hell its even possible to feel aligned to both and that’s ok.

The whole citizenship and identity debacle being discussed here is a complete sideshow to the real deal.

Having watched the videos myself, and presuming the translations are accurate, my opinion was this person was there to stirr things up and be involved in whatever way he could.

Saying he’s Irish and so should circumvent whatever laws being implemented in Egypt currently is an insult to Irish passports, it’s not a “get out of jail free” card to be whipped out when things go south.

Personally if his name or face never appear in media or discussion again it would only improve things.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Source please.

Multiple sources trace the timeline - starting with Mubarak's ascent to power after Sadat's assassination and thirty years of corruption and embezzelment involving him, his family and his former army associates. Egypt is the second largest benificiary of USAID (after Israel) and the Mubarak family and friends benefited from deals involving everything from military supplies to housing contracts - they even siphoned off funds intended for the renovation of the presidential palace. He was also convicted of complicity in the murder of civilian protestors at the time of the Arab Spring uprising that saw him removed from power.

After the MB government was legitimately elected, Mubarak was tried, convicted, re-tried, and re-convicted. There followed the army intervention and after the military junta replaced the judiciary with their puppets, was he aquitted of all charges and freed. Meanwhile the new military government was killing hundreds more protestors.

That is the political backdrop against which the protests in which young Halawa participated took place.

First Up wrote:
    Multiple sources trace the timeline - starting with Mubarak's ascent to power after Sadat's assassination and thirty years of corruption and embezzelment involving him, his family and his former army associates. Egypt is the second largest benificiary of USAID (after Israel) and the Mubarak family and friends benefited from deals involving everything from military supplies to housing contracts - they even siphoned off funds intended for the renovation of the presidential palace. He was also convicted of complicity in the murder of civilian protestors at the time of the Arab Spring uprising that saw him removed from power.
    So no sources just your opinion. Cheers.
    First Up wrote:
    That is the political backdrop against which the protests in which young Halawa participated took place.
    Yet multiple supporters of him and his clan claim he was on holidays.
    Protesting for a shower of dark age bigots whose goal was to replace the constitution with one that enshrined Shria law says a lot about his motivations and contempt for democracy.

Egyptian politics will never be as simple as you paint it ...

Coming from someone who has been portraying Halawa and the MB as terrorists out to impose ISIS style Sharia Law, that is indeed rich. But it is good to see someone finally admitting to the complexity of it all.

If you want a proper, authoritative source (instead of Humphrey's diatribes) have a look at: http://www.middleeasteye.net/columns/myths-about-morsi-examining-justifications-egypt-s-2013-cou-1248467631

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Protesting for a shower of dark age bigots whose goal was to replace the constitution with one that enshrined Shria law says a lot about his motivations and contempt for democracy.

Oh the irony.

RustyNut wrote:
    Oh the irony.

No irony pet, you need to educate yourself on the goals of the MB what Shria law entails and what Morsi attempted before he was ousted.

First Up wrote:
    If you want a proper, authoritative source (instead of Humphrey's diatribes) have a look at:

Of course Elmasary is totally unbiased. lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

contempt for democracy.

Was of the impression that at the time of them protests....the MB had recently been elected...but ousted by the army??

**I could be misinformed though

First Up wrote:
    Sorry, I thought you could read and use the internet.

None of your links change the fact that Morsi and his bunch of clowns attempted to change the constitution from the secular to one that enshrines Shria law. The army was right to remove the clown. Lesser of two evils in my opinion. The Egyptian Lad just wasted 4 years of his supporting a bunch dark ages bigots. At least his sister's had the sense to skip bail.

• Advertisement

Was of the impression that at the time of them protests....the MB had recently been elected...but ousted by the army??

MB was elected and there was many instances of electoral fraud so legitimacy can be called into question. Ousted by the army, yeah its called a Coup common word to be honest . Happened in S.America several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

No irony pet, you need to educate yourself on the goals of the MB what Shria law entails and what Morsi attempted before he was ousted.

Remind me again how the MB came to power?

MB was elected and there was many instances of electoral fraud so legitimacy can be called into question. Ousted by the army, yeah its called a Coup common word to be honest . Happened in S.America several times.

Seems hypocritical to call put the MB for being undemocratic but support the army for ousting an elected government??

RustyNut wrote:

Answered already.

RustyNut wrote:

Although here's a interesting titbit, the Nazi's were also elected. That worked out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,101 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

There’s some amount of racism, begrudgery and islamophobia on this thread.

Again more lies

Show me 1 poster here who has given out about him due to his Skin Colour

Seems hypocritical to call put the MB for being undemocratic but support the army for ousting an elected government??

Never offered support, I said they were the lesser of two evils. You need to read what i wrote. Don't make up stuff, no need for it.

Never offered support, I said they were the lesser of two evils. You need to read what i wrote. Don't make up stuff, no need for it.

You said the army were right to remove him from power...

.maybe something is wrong with my reading skills...but saying someone is right to do z,y and z I always would've taken that as support??

.maybe something is wrong with my reading skills...but saying someone is right to do z,y and z I always would've taken that as support??

Here's the post I refer to?

I see you did day lesser of two evils....bit still reads your a fan of the army removing the MB

(could've been...Idk nor care...just seems hypocritical to denounce MB.as undemocratic and support the army here)

• Advertisement

Again I qualified what I said by stating they were the lesser of two evils.
    Yes there is something wrong with your reading skills. Well done admission is the first step of getting help.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement