Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Did the sisters or another relative not admit they went there for the protests, apologies if I am wrong

They did nothing of the sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,747 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

First Up wrote: »

They were forced up on stage at gunpoint to stand behind an “Egyptians abroad...” banner...or else they were drunk and found themselves up on stage.
    They totally innocently found themselves up on stage participating at a MB rally...whatever...

Examples of posts where I supported the MB please??

No thesis is needed but I'm glad to see you have given up trying to portray the MB as no more than an extension of ISIS (since I called you out on it.)

The Arab countries that proscribe the MB are the ones ruled by royal families and most in fear of having their power usurped by democracy. That should tell you something.

RobertKK wrote: »
    They were forced up on stage at gunpoint to stand behind an “Egyptians abroad...” banner...or else they were drunk and found themselves up on stage.
    They totally innocently found themselves up on stage participating at a MB rally...whatever...

Oh please.

The assertion was that they travelled to Egypt just to take part in protests. They didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,105 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Omackeral wrote: »
    Wouldn't strike me as a typically Irish holiday activity anyway. Most would go sight-seeing or the likes.

I love to see the pyramids if I was there on holidays :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

First Up wrote:
    The assertion was that they travelled to Egypt just to take part in protests. They didn't.

How do you know for definate they did not travel to take part in the protests. Are you and a few others here official spokespersons for the Halawas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

RobertKK wrote: »
    So it was ok for the Muslim Brotherhkod to incite violence and killing of Christians in Egypt because they were democratically elected?

Some people hold democracy as something untouchable, it has given us some really nasty people like Morsi, like Hitler, like John Russell who let the famine here rage on and over 1 million dead.
    Democracy is not something holy or untouchable if it is involved in cruelty, division and crimes...

Democracy most certainly has its flaws but it stands out head and shoulders above the alternatives.

Joseph Stalin,Pol Pot,Idi Amin,Francois Duvalier,Francisco Franco,Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud etc,etc..

No thesis is needed but I'm glad to see you have given up trying to portray the MB as no more than an extension of ISIS (since I called you out on it.)

The Arab countries that proscribe the MB are the ones ruled by royal families and most in fear of having their power usurped by democracy. That should tell you something.

I don’t know who that post is directed at.

Democracy worked great in Libya...Isis using the country as a base now.

seamus wrote:
    Otherwise, he has nothing to answer. The public is not entitled to any answers from any private individual unless they are part of a criminal investigation.

Actually he has questions to answer, considerable state resources were expended to help secure this fellows return to Ireland. I like quite a few other taxpayers would like to know why we have to pick up the tab for him protesting in a country he also holds citizenship of.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

This is what I said ...
    gozunda wrote:
    Hence I had to point that the politics of that era required less soundbites and more detail than provided to date on this thread by pro MB posters

The word was 'pro' and not 'supported btw - I think that difference is quite important. Anyway as to your question - I don't see any specific refrence to your good self there ...

So are you denying the very real links between the MB and ISIS? Seriousley?

See:
    https://www.counterextremism.com/content/muslim-brotherhood%E2%80%99s-ties-isis-and-al-qaeda

Most Arab countries have different political models and rule compared to those in the West - are you saying therefore that these countries are not fit to rule? I believe that may be a topic for a whole other thread ...

Just to recap for you - The MB are not known to be big fans of democracy - their slogan is "Islam is the Soluton" ...

• Advertisement

RustyNut wrote: »
    Democracy most certainly has its flaws but it stands out head and shoulders above the alternatives.

Joseph Stalin,Pol Pot,Idi Amin,Francois Duvalier,Francisco Franco,Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud etc,etc..

I have nothing against democracy but if the result is death, division and crimes by the state. Then it is a failed democracy, that is what Egypt had under Morsi and the result would have been far worse if the army hadn’t intervened.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Actually he has questions to answer, considerable state resources were expended to help secure this fellows return to Ireland. I like quite a few other taxpayers would like to know why we have to pick up the tab for him protesting in a country he also holds citizenship of.
    You can "like to know" all you want.

You have no entitlement to any answers. He has committed no crime either here or in Egypt. So he has no questions to answer to satisfying a braying mob.

RustyNut wrote:
    Do you have any evidence of electoral fraud on behalf of the MB?

The IEBC does. I'm not part of the commission but their report I believe is still avaible online.

How do you know for definate they did not travel to take part in the protests. Are you and a few others here official spokespersons for the Halawas?

I don't but a poster said they "understood" the Halawas had admitted travelling for the protests. They didn't.

The fact that they went to visit relatives almost every year supports their story.

Pretty sure everyone has a right to peaceful protest?

"Day of Rage" doesn't have peaceful connotations tbh.

"Day of Rage" doesn't have peaceful connotations tbh.

Just a name. It originated in the Vietnam protests in the 1960's.

The IEBC does. I'm not part of the commission but their report I believe is still avaible online.

Link it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,105 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Apologies so I was wrong but the Halawas have changed their stories in the media quite a bit

First Up wrote:
    Who dressed it up? The family went to Egypt almost every year to visit relatives. That year's visit coincided with a military coup and they took part in protests about it. What's so mysterious or sinister about it?

Yet there was a travel advisory in place not to travel from the DOFA but they still did. Odd they were so blase about their safety especially with a 17 year old (child) with them.

Eh nothing of the sort.

• Advertisement

RustyNut wrote:

Hitler was elected.

seamus wrote:
    You have no entitlement to any answers. He has committed no crime either here or in Egypt. So he has no questions to answer to satisfying a braying mob.

So taxpayers of this country have no right to know why he enjoyed what many would consider a disproportionate allowance of both state finance and political capital? B.S.. Btw the braying mob was in Egypt the young fellow and his sister's were part of it.

Hitler was elected.

Any chance you could back up your claim re IEBC and electoral fraud? You were quick to throw allegations of lying earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I don't but a poster said they "understood" the Halawas had admitted travelling for the protests. They didn't.

The fact that they went to visit relatives almost every year supports their story.

It would appear that by their own admission the Halawas siblings travelled to Egypt to partake in the protests
    ...Mohamed introduced me to Omaima Halawa, 21, and Noha El Eraki, 22, two Egyptian women who have spent much of their lives living and studying in Ireland but came back to Egypt to participate in the protests...

See: [url]
    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3b7azw/a-guided-tour-of-cairos-pro-morsi-protest-camps[/url]

You need to do a little bit more research ...

First Up wrote:

That's the thing their story changed so much and the lies......

First Up wrote:
    Just a name. It originated in the Vietnam protests in the 1960's.

lol, I saw a post here from a... i can't use the description saying shouting Allah Akbar in a European airport is harmless. Your response has the same smell of b.s. of it as that other post.

This is the ‘democracy’ the Halawa family supported:
    Morsi already has both executive and legislative powers since the dissolution of the parliament's lower assembly, and has now added what appears to be a monopoly of judicial authority, placing himself beyond the courts while appointing a hand-picked prosecutor without consultation.
    https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2012/nov/23/morsi-power-grab-angers-opposition

Get elected and then take all the power. That is how democracy works...
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/egypts-president-morsi-takes-sweeping-new-powers/2012/11/22/8d87d716-34cb-11e2-92f0-496af208bf23_story.html?utm_term=.279dda266a88

First Up wrote:
    Link it so.

I can't link off my phone already told another poster this. If you want to research it's quite easy to do. But i did say if you want to....

RustyNut wrote:
    Eh nothing of the sort.

Cause you say so?Ha ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So taxpayers of this country have no right to know why he enjoyed what many would consider a disproportionate allowance of both state finance and political capital?
    That's not a question for him to answer. He didn't spend the state's money. "Why did you ask for taxpayer's help?". "Because I was in prison despite being innocent".

Question answered.

If you want to micromanage how the State uses taxpayer's money, then the people you elect are the ones who can answer those questions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement