Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Yes I know that and if you understood criminal law you would know that acquittal means the case has not been proven not that the defendant is innocent.

Innocence is assumed until proven otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

RustyNut wrote:
    It appears that google have never heard of the "International Electoral and Boundary Commission" either. Are you possibly mistaken?

Apologies 'Independent' as opposed to 'International' spell check but I should have checked before I posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

RustyNut wrote: »
    It appears that google have never heard of the "International Electoral and Boundary Commission" either. Are you possibly mistaken?
    It appears you don't know how to use Google...independent not international.
    Easily found,I wonder why you struggled.

No problem using Google predictive text is my problem.

Wrong response

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Of course I dismissed it as drivel and it still is.
    Care to add something of actual note? I've explained twice now, very very clearly.
    Don't need to, anyway I live in Ireland no practising lawyers here.
    I think you should consider consulting the legal professionals you know, I think they need to explain the concept and meaning behind it a little better.
    Yes I know that and if you understood criminal law you would know that acquittal means the case has not been proven not that the defendant is innocent.
    It also means that the defendant may not have had a case to answer in the first place.

You seem to think in this case despite no evidence and still, no attempt to back up your claim, that although Halawa was acquitted, he's still 'guilty of something'. Please do tell us what he is guilty of (again, I mean CRIME)

• Advertisement

No problem using Google predictive text is my problem.

I was referring to the quoted posters lack of search engine skills,not yourself.

givyjoe wrote:
    I think you should consider consulting the legal professionals you know, I think they need to explain the concept and meaning behind it a little better.

I don't need anyone to explain the difference between acquittal and a verdict of innocence. The Egyptian court did not pronounce a verdict of innocence .

I don't need anyone to explain the difference between acquittal and a verdict of innocence. The Egyptian court did not pronounce a verdict of innocence .

So what is he guilty of then?! How many times do you need to be asked the question?!

givyjoe wrote:
    You seem to be think in this case despite no evidence and still, no attempt to back up your claim, that although Halawa was acquitted, he's still 'guilty of something'. Please do tell us what he is guilty of (again, I mean CRIME)

I said he was acquitted not that he was found innocent everything else is you inferring what you think I am saying.

gitzy16v wrote:
    I was referring to the quoted posters lack of search engine skills,not yourself.

I got that and i deleted my post after I realised my mistake. Apologies.

• Advertisement

givyjoe wrote:
    So what is he guilty of then?! How many times do you need to be asked the question?!

When did I say he was guilty ? The post number will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

No court anywhere in the world announces a verdict of innocent??

Guilty or not guilty...I would have taught

Apologies 'Independent' as opposed to 'International' spell check but I should have checked before I posted.

Which is a domestic Kenyan organisation. What have they to do with Egyptian elections.

gitzy16v wrote: »
    It appears you don't know how to use Google...independent not international.
    Easily found,I wonder why you struggled.

The poster I was replying to said
    You never heard of the International Electoral and Boundary Commission?

I think it is the posters credibility that is struggling at this stage.

When did I say he was guilty ? The post number will do.

Right, so you don't believe that he has committed ANY crime? Thanks for 'confirming' in such a roundabout way.

I think you should probably stop referencing that he 'wasn't found innocent', clearly trying to allude to 'no smoke without fire', if you don't believe he has committed any crime.

FFS Lads we've been over this already.
    Just going round in circles with this not guilty /innocent stuff.

givyjoe wrote:
    I think you should probably stop referencing that he 'wasn't found innocent', clearly trying to allude to 'no smoke without fire', if you don't believe he has committed any crime.

Again he was acquitted not found innocent. It was you who kept claiming that I said he was guilty of a crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Matt.ie

No court anywhere in the world announces a verdict of innocent??

There was no trial! And all because the prosecution failed to present their case. Hence why THEY COULD HAVE brought up the charges again.

Why is this difficult to understand?

Would you prefer to be acquitted after a non trial or found innocent after a trial?
    There's a huge difference in the two.
    There not the same.

Scotland announces 'not proven', as an example.

Again he was acquitted not found innocent. It was you who kept claiming that I said he was guilty of a crime.

Because you KEEP making reference to the above.. and I stated that you seemed to inferring it, by continually repeating this.

So we both agree then that he didn't commit any crime.

givyjoe wrote:
    Right, so you don't believe that he has committed ANY crime? Thanks for 'confirming' in such a roundabout way.

I have said he took part in a violent protest, on other threads I have said he addressed a crowd calling for the streets to run red and to use the last bullet. For a 17 year old he commanded a lot of respect to be allowed speak at these rallies or was he a proxy?

• Advertisement

givyjoe wrote:
    So we both agree then that he didn't commit any crime.

I never said he was guilty of a crime I also never said he didn't commit one. The protest was deemed illegal he took part draw your own conclusion. It just wasn't proven

• Registered Users Posts: 14,857 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Scotland announces 'not proven', as an example.

Your understanding of Scottish law is as poor as your understanding of the law in the rest of the world.

I have said he took part in a violent protest, on other threads I have said he addressed a crowd calling for the streets to run red and to use the last bullet. For a 17 year old he commanded a lot of respect to be allowed speak at these rallies or was he a proxy?

Speaking at a protest and taking part in actual physical violence are two different things.

Inciting violence could be prosecutable if his words were construed to be just that. It's something which I personally hadn't seen you reference before, possibly a crime but also possibly not depending on the context of his words i.e. in response to the coup of the democratically elected government.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

RustyNut wrote: »
    Democracy most certainly has its flaws but it stands out head and shoulders above the alternatives.

Joseph Stalin,Pol Pot,Idi Amin,Francois Duvalier,Francisco Franco,Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud etc,etc..

I notice you forgot to mention hitler, marcos, mugabe and others that actually were democratically elected.
    First Up wrote: »
    "Day of Rage" doesn't have peaceful connotations tbh.

Just a name. It originated in the Vietnam protests in the 1960's.

You are pretty economical with the old truth like most of your ilk around here that appear quite willing to play down the actual modus operandi and beliefs of the muslim brotherhood.

Days of Rage was used by The Weathermen to describe a series of direct action demonstrations taken over a course of three days in October 1969 in Chicago.
    Now the thing is this grew out of a resolution from a John Jacobs which read "The Elections Don't Mean ****—Vote Where the Power Is—Our Power Is In The Street".
    Another slogan of this guy was "Bring the War Home".
    The ultimate aim of the first day was to attack the hotel where the judge involved in the Chicago 7 was staying.
    It was basically all a planned riot not some benign day of protest.

The Weatermen would go on to conduct a bombing campaign but they eventually became defunct after US signed deal with Vietnam.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Hitman3000 wrote:
    You never heard of the International Electoral and Boundary Commission? Jimmy Carter was once an observer for them. Obviously the last part of your post proves you never even bothered to look just wishing to cast aspiration. I don't lie petal I know in your world it's the norm but it's not for me.

I heard of the IEBC in Kenya and Jimmy Carter was involved with that.

What's their connection with Egypt?

Of course I dismissed it as drivel and it still is.

Speaking of sutch.
    You never heard of the International Electoral and Boundary Commission? Jimmy Carter was once an observer for them. Obviously the last part of your post proves you never even bothered to look just wishing to cast aspiration. I don't lie petal I know in your world it's the norm but it's not for me.

Do you stand by your claim that the IEBC carried out a report into electoral fraud in Egyptian elections? or are you lying mistaken?

elperello wrote:
    Your understanding of Scottish law is as poor as your understanding of the law in the rest of the world.

Instead of a snide comment would you like to say what manner a verdict is given in a Scottish court seeing as that is the one I mentioned not the rest of the world.

givyjoe wrote:
    Inciting violence could be prosecutable if his words were construed to be just that. It's something which I personally hadn't seen you reference before, possibly a crime but also possibly not depending on the context of his words i.e. in response to the coup of the democratically elected government.

Just because you didn't see me reference it before doesn't mean I didn't . I have no intention of trawling other threads to qualify what I have said.

First Up wrote:
    I heard of the IEBC in Kenya and Jimmy Carter was involved with that.

On my effort to make a comment about the electoral fraud that took place during the elections in the early part of this decade in Egypt I referenced the wrong organisation, my bad. However there was electoral fraud engaged in by all parties running in those elections and the subsequent Presidential election and the attempted change to the constitution by Morsi. All avaible online for anyone willing to look.

• Advertisement

Just because you didn't see me reference it before doesn't mean I didn't . I have no intention of trawling other threads to qualify what I have said.

Sorry, other threads?! Do you expect me to trawl other threads for expansions on points made here?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement