Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Anyone ever find out how the Egyptian lad got the letters out of his cell and why the grammar was so bad. I thought he was educated in Ireland. Our education system is not as bad as his letters would have you believe.

He got his Leaving Cert just before he went on his protesting holiday in Egypt and he mentioned when released about taking up his CAO offers - that would presume he has educated at least up to LC standard. I would presume the letters were given to his various consular visitors perhaps? Maybe like many of his generation he prefers txt speak and social media type communication?

I wonder what course he will take up in college - politics perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,858 ✭✭✭✭elperello

elperello wrote: »
    Post 2413 Hitman3000 said-
    Why what difference does it make? At 17 you are not a child. Plus you have to take his culture and faith into account. With those guys Shria law seems to trump civil law.

Post 2571 Hitman3000 said-
    Yet there was a travel advisory in place not to travel from the DOFA but they still did. Odd they were so blase about their safety especially with a 17 year old (child) with them.

Nice to see that you are open to changing your mind.

You replied to my post using only a partial quote which failed to show your change of mind.

I forgot about this where you changed back again.

Post 2693
    Thought the idea here was to address the comment and not attack the poster? Is this your preferred target. As for your comment about yesterday I mentioned his cultures acceptance of maturity not the legal defination by either the Irish or Egyptian government. You can claim a 17 year old is a child all you want but you can't throw your toys out of the pram when others disagree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

elperello wrote:
    You replied to my post using only a partial quote which failed to show your change of mind.

I didn't change my mind as I have already stated. 17 is not a child. I used the word (child) in brackets for a reason.
    Now I have addressed you already about this . I have no intention of any further commentary on the supposed childlike status of a 17 year old Egyptian lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

gozunda wrote:
    Please do move on. Tbh you now appear to be the one frantically beavering away with little result. That type of repetitive badgering is never productive to a discussion imo ...

I can see why you want to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

First Up wrote: »
    I think all parties engaging in fraud would meet most people's definition of "widespread".

However allegations do not constitute "instances" and you will find allegations of fraud around every Egyptian election since (and probably before) Mubarak.

You insinuated that the election of the MB was uniquely in question because of fraud. There is no evidence (not even from the Kenyan monitoring group) to support this.

Here is an interesting fact, although you will probably want it written on a stone tablet as proof, some of the so called independent monitoring of previous elections was actually carried out by muslim brotherhood who used to keep tabs on mubarak and the military's shenanigans.

Now that was of course when they had their members running as independents due to party not being recognised and when they weren't winning.

Oh and one could say they at least behaved unethically because there is evidence that they were out dishing out food to poor areas just prior to election and they contacted those same people at election.
    Kinda actually buying votes.

Anyway where is that poster again to back up the statements that everyone that voted against same sex marriage was catholic ?

Oh and can the other poster please provide evidence that they have wandered through European airports shouting allah achbar ?
    I really want to see footage of that boast. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote:
    Oh and can the other poster please provide evidence that they have wandered through European airports shouting allah achbar ? I really want to see footage of that boast.

He's gone to ground but regularly thanks certain posters.

I can see why you want to move on.

Or is it that you just wish to drag it out even further?

Enough

gozunda wrote:
    He got his Leaving Cert just before he went on his protesting holiday in Egypt and he mentioned when released about taking up his CAO offers - that would presume he has educated at least up to LC standard. I would presume the letters were given to his various consular visitors perhaps? Maybe like many of his generation he prefers txt speak and social media type communication?

Still doesn't explain letters that appeared not to be written by someone whom was fluent in English ( having gone through our education system) or how a letter posted form his cell could be published in the Indo on the same day as when the letter was wrote.

gozunda wrote: »
    Bizarrely it thinks it is some type of thread thought police - it made the claim that posters could "expect ... contributions to be examined with rigour." There appears to be lot of that type out there that expect everything including the kitchen sink but bring nothing but platitudes to the discussion ...

Fortunately it couldn't examine its rear own end in a mirror based on the quality of its posts here imo .... :pac:

So you consider bringing fact based clarification regarding Age of Majority and Legal verdicts as platitudes.

By the way some few posts back you decided to ignore me.

gozunda wrote:
    Or is it that you just wish to drag it out even further?

Yeah, spend weeks accusing the kid and his family of everything under the sun, but start sqealing stop as soon as some of the nonsense is called out.
    gozunda wrote:
    Enough

Enough yourself.

• Advertisement

I didn't change my mind as I have already stated. 17 is not a child. I used the word (child) in brackets for a reason.
    Now I have addressed you already about this . I have no intention of any further commentary on the supposed childlike status of a 17 year old Egyptian lad.

You will need more than brackets to cover your tracks on this one.
    You refused for your own purposes to accept that the Age of majority in Egypt is 18 and then when it suited you to create a slur you tried to make age an issue.

elperello wrote:
    You will need more than brackets to cover your tracks on this one. You refused for your own purposes to accept that the Age of majority in Egypt is 18 and then when it suited you to create a slur you tried to make age an issue.

I have and will repeatedly say that 17 is not a child, what slur are you alluding too?

I have and will repeatedly say that 17 is not a child, what slur are you alluding too?

So you have but what are you basing it on?
    Just read back your own posts, handily enough I quoted them for you above.

Yeah, spend weeks accusing the kid and his family of everything under the sun, but start sqealing stop as soon as some of the nonsense is called out.
    Enough yourself.

Ah there's that echo again ...
    I don't accuse anyone. I like facts - many of which have been proven. Some havn't due to evidence been deleted on social media etc- Some of which you repeatedly denied until the facts were put in front of you. You do sound bitter. Why is that? On second thoughts I'm really not interested

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Still doesn't explain letters that appeared not to be written by someone whom was fluent in English ( having gone through our education system) or how a letter posted form his cell could be published in the Indo on the same day as when the letter was wrote.

When the letter was written, not wrote, seeing as you want to bring grammar into the discussion.

gozunda wrote:
    Ah there's that echo again ... I don't accuse anyone. I like facts - many of which have been proven. Some havn't due to evidence been deleted on social media etc- Some of which you repeatedly denied until the facts were put in front of you. You do sound bitter. Why is that? On second thoughts I'm really not interested
    What facts have I denied?

Come to think of it, what facts have you presented?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭matchthis

elperello wrote:
    So you have but what are you basing it on? Just read back your own posts, handily enough I quoted them for you above.

I respect the culture/relgion of others. I may vemhently disagree of course but still respect. The Egyptian lad as per his faith and culture passed the age of 15 which is the oldest a person can be before they are considered 'Baligh' although it's usually 12 with the onset of puberty. Hope that addresses your question.
    Now for your allegation of a slur what are you talking about.

RustyNut wrote:
    When the letter was written, not wrote, seeing as you want to bring grammar into the discussion.

So grammar aside, any idea on the question I posed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

how a letter posted form his cell could be published in the Indo on the same day as when the letter was wrote.

Presumably someone scanned and emailed it late the night before??

Like I was at a club match ended 9pm....how did pics and a match report appear on national papers within 9 hours :eek:

• Advertisement

I respect the culture/relgion of others. I may vemhently disagree of course but still respect. The Egyptian lad as per his faith and culture passed the age of 15 which is the oldest a person can be before they are considered 'Baligh' although it's usually 12 with the onset of puberty. Hope that addresses your question.
    Now for your allegation of a slur what are you talking about.

1-With all due respect that is not the same thing as the legal age of majority.
    If you want to talk about faith and culture go ahead.

2-Your faux concern re. DOFA travel advice is easily seen through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

So grammar aside, any idea on the question I posed?

He could have had the same English teacher as you and access to a mobile phone to get his letters out. Just guessing on my behalf though.

What do you think?

What facts have I denied?

Come to think of it, what facts have you presented?

Ah the ultimate spin - Whataboutery! May i suggest that you read the thread from the beginning - that should keep you busy for a while and you can find the facts denied and those which were proven. I doubt you need spoonfed at your age ... ;)

Presumably someone scanned and emailed it late the night before??

So he had a scanner and a PC in his cell? Thought he was living in terrible conditions? He claimed the guards were terrible to him so it's unlikely they carried out secretarial services for him. Also the various writing styles? Can you offer an explanation?

Like I was at a club match ended 9pm....how did pics and a match report appear on national papers within 9 hours

Yeah but from a prison cell is different than a match sideline surely you know this?

gozunda wrote:
    Ah the ultimate spin - Whataboutery! May i suggest that you read the thread from the beginning - that should keep you busy for a while and you can find the facts denied and those which were proven. I doubt you need spoonfed at your age ...

You made the accusation so you substantiate it.

elperello wrote:
    1-With all due respect that is not the same thing as the legal age of majority. If you want to talk about faith and culture go ahead.

I answered a question you posed.
    elperello wrote:
    2-Your faux concern re. DOFA travel advice is easily seen through.

That's just your biased opinion i just think it was terrible to place a 17 year in such a dangerous sutuation especially after a DOFA travel advisory. Now again what slur are you referring too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

So he had a scanner and a PC in his cell? Thought he was living in terrible conditions? He claimed the guards were terrible to him so it's unlikely they carried out secretarial services for him. Also the various writing styles? Can you offer an explanation?

If I'd to guess he passed it out to someone,who visited

Gerry adams used write columns for an poblacht from inside the maze....there is plenty examples of this happening

Tbh I don't really care about the writing styles kid....all I wanted was to try help you in your quest for suggestions in how it got to the independent?

(Have you ever visited someone in prision?,this is easily achieved)

RustyNut wrote:
    He could have had the same English teacher as you and access to a mobile phone to get his letters out. Just guessing on my behalf though.

The Egyptian Lad is younger than me so not possible. Sure if he had a mobile he could have just sent a text no need for paper. Doesn't explain the various writing styles. His sister's always got the letters.
    Now any chance of a proper answer without a childish insult?

• Advertisement

You made the accusation so you substantiate it.

It is a statement not an accusation. If have any doubt start actually reading the posts in this thread...

:rolleyes:

But as you like "accusations" as you said prior to my reply above ...

That I spent "weeks accusing the kid and his family of everything under the sun"

Do point out the posts in which such accusation as opposed to fact based information was presented

And for your information my first post here was less than a week ago - so you are clearly attempting to present your ficton as fact

Nothing really changes does it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement