Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibrahim Halawa acquited(mod warning in op-Heed it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

First Up wrote: »
    Then you should be able to repeat it.

Why would anyone bother when you refuse to engage in normal discussion? So therefore blocked and added to my ignore list.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

gozunda wrote:
    Why would anyone bother when you refuse to engage in normal discussion? Blocked.

And another one bites the dust......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,019 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Even in the unlikely event of such a government being elected, you nitwits should know that changes to the constitution require a referendum.

But don't let me spoil the paranioa.

If sharia law was implemented in Ireland I doubt very much the constitution would matter

pablo128 wrote: »
    Let's see. 3 sisters are given bail pending a court appearance. They jump bail and flee the country.

And now they are being given awards. For what exactly?

Unfortunately the PC brigade don't use logic when jumping on a bandwagon

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Jake1 wrote: »
    (Thanked this post in error, not sure how to remove )

just click "remove your thanks"

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Even in the unlikely event of such a government being elected, you nitwits should know that changes to the constitution require a referendum.

There is no paranoia, it was a hypothetical question to another poster about his possible acceptance of a not impossible electoral outcome.
    Staying with the hypothesis, if such a party were to exist and win, constitutional referenda may not be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

pablo128 wrote: »
    Let's see. 3 sisters are given bail pending a court appearance. They jump bail and flee the country.

And now they are being given awards. For what exactly?

Quite an illustrative photo in this article...

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/im-the-luckiest-man-in-the-world-ibrahim-halawa-honours-his-five-sisters-at-the-tatler-women-of-the-year-awards-36271379.html

It is interesting that we now have 5 sisters being lauded,which is interesting,if only to underline how much media time was allotted to the activities and views of the 3 who were centre-stage with Ibrahim in Cairo.

This situation is only getting legs here,so be prepared for the long haul,or at least a haul as long as the,just ended,Egyptian one.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Quite an illustrative photo in this article...

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/im-the-luckiest-man-in-the-world-ibrahim-halawa-honours-his-five-sisters-at-the-tatler-women-of-the-year-awards-36271379.html

It is interesting that we now have 5 sisters being lauded,which is interesting,if only to underline how much media time was allotted to the activities and views of the 3 who were centre-stage with Ibrahim in Cairo.

This situation is only getting legs here,so be prepared for the long haul,or at least a haul as long as the,just ended,Egyptian one.

Oh Christ.....

What are we in for in the year to come....

Hopefully they go out of fashion like cords or side burns or been caught driving a dacia.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Mr Halawa's preferred Egyptian Leader,Mohammed Morsi,had little issue with redefining his countrys constitution to suit his own preferences,so I doubt that his supporters,nitwits or not,would have much reluctance in altering our own,should they have the opportunity.

Interesting account of Morsi's final days here...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/05/morsi-final-days-egypt-president
    In recent months, Morsi had been at odds with virtually every institution in the country, including leading Muslim and Christian clerics, the judiciary, the armed forces, the police and intelligence agencies. His political opponents fuelled popular anger that Morsi was giving too much power to the Muslim Brotherhood and other Islamists, and had failed to tackle Egypt's mounting economic problems.

His mandate at this point was almost a year old,but those who voted for him,had rapidly tired of his lack of action.
    But Morsi kept returning to the mandate he won in the June 2012 balloting, according to one of the officials. He said Morsi wouldn't address the mass protests or any of the country's most pressing problems – tenuous security, rising prices, unemployment, power cuts and traffic congestion.
    The opposition had set its first mass protest for 30 June, the anniversary of his inauguration, but the demonstrations began early, and Morsi had to stop working at Ittihadiya palace on 26 June.

There is also a telling sentence from Morsi's right hand man..
    His foreign policy aide, Essam el-Haddad, telephoned western governments to put an optimistic spin on events, according to a military official. Haddad was also issuing statements in English to the foreign media, saying that the millions out on the streets did not represent all Egyptians, and that the military intervention amounted to a textbook coup.

Those "Millions of Egyptians" were out on the Egyptian streets,protesting against what the Halawa family wanted for Egypt,yet we have continually been asked to disregard any notion that there might well be a more democracy in action on the opposing side,than with Mr Halawa's chosen party ?

Only the Egyptian people themselves can answer this,preferably in Egypt ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Mr Halawa's preferred Egyptian Leader,Mohammed Morsi,had little issue with redefining his countrys constitution to suit his own preferences,so I doubt that his supporters,nitwits or not,would have much reluctance in altering our own,should they have the opportunity.

Interesting account of Morsi's final days here...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/05/morsi-final-days-egypt-president

Those "Millions of Egyptians" were out on the Egyptian streets,protesting against what the Halawa family wanted for Egypt,yet we have continually been asked to disregard any notion that there might well be a more democracy in action on the opposing side,than with Mr Halawa's chosen party ?

Only the Egyptian people themselves can answer this,preferably in Egypt ?

Excellent post. I noted the piece you refered to in the article ie that ...
    ... Morsi kept returning to the mandate he won in the June 2012 balloting, according to one of the officials. He said Morsi wouldn't address the mass protests or any of the country's most pressing problems – tenuous security, rising prices, unemployment, power cuts and traffic congestion.

A similar mantra has been repeated again and again on this thread despite the information presented why Morsi was removed from power. I suspect we may have Mr Morsi actually posting considering the constant repetition of Morsi's 'mandate' :pac:

Another article of interest linked on thst page shows what life was like for some of Egypt's farmers, minorities and some of its poorest people under the rule of Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood. A salutary tale for this country for those who believe such extreme ideologies are benign ...

[URL]
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/28/morsi-overthrow-egypt-pork-farmers-sales-growth-pigs[/url]

• Advertisement

K.Flyer wrote:
    There is no paranoia, it was a hypothetical question to another poster about his possible acceptance of a not impossible electoral outcome. Staying with the hypothesis, if such a party were to exist and win, constitutional referenda may not be an issue.

There is indeed paranoia. There's as much chance of an islamist party being elected to the Irish governmnent as there is of the political wing of the Legion of Mary being swept to power in Egypt.

Changes to the Irish constitution require referendum approval. (As they did in Egypt until the military took over.) For this "not to be an issue" would require the enforced suspension of the rule of law. If you fear that the Irish army might stage a pro-islamist coup, I advise you to seek medical help immediately.

There is plenty of scope to discuss Egyptian politics without this nonsense. If you need to resort to this sort of rubbish to maintain your attack on young Halawa, you really should get another dead horse to flog. This one is long buried.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

There is indeed paranoia. There's as much chance of an islamist party being elected to the Irish governmnent as there is of the political wing of the Legion of Mary being swept to power in Egypt

Donald Trump is President of the United States of America. Anything is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

gozunda wrote:
    Why would anyone bother when you refuse to engage in normal discussion? Blocked.

And another one bites the dust......

When the only person to thank your posts is End of the Road, there's little to boast about.

Omackeral wrote:
    Donald Trump is President of the United States of America. Anything is possible.

Would you include an Islamist being elected US president in that? Its a fairer analogy.

When the only person to thank your posts is End of the Road, there's little to boast about.

And there I was boasting away.....

Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Would you include an Islamist being elected US president in that? Its a fairer analogy.

He was touted as having a 1% chance of winning the election, that's why I used it.

Omackeral wrote:
    He was touted as having a 1% chance of winning the election, that's why I used it.

By who?

There is indeed paranoia. There's as much chance of an islamist party being elected to the Irish governmnent as there is of the political wing of the Legion of Mary being swept to power in Egypt.

Changes to the Irish constitution require referendum approval. (As they did in Egypt until the military took over.) For this "not to be an issue" would require the enforced suspension of the rule of law. If you fear that the Irish army might stage a pro-islamist coup, I advise you to seek medical help immediately.

There is plenty of scope to discuss Egyptian politics without this nonsense. If you need to resort to this sort of rubbish to maintain your attack on young Halawa, you really should get another dead horse to flog. This one is long buried.

You missed the point of the hypothetical question completely. :rolleyes: which wasn't actually addressed to you, it was asked of someone else.

Morsi tried to change the constitution himself, so you seemed to have missed that piece of information as well.

And as for young Halawa, kindly point out any of my posts where I attempted to Attack or Flog him.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Well I don't think there is a link.

Trump winning the election is not as ridiculous as a coven of Muslim Brotherhood sympathizing women winning an award. It's a direct insult to every other woman in Ireland.....every single one.

http://markhumphrys.com/halawa.html

K.Flyer wrote:
    Morsi tried to change the constitution himself, so you seemed to have missed that piece of information as well.
    He (unwisely) tried to temporarily waive some elements, pending the presentation of a new constitution - which would have been subject to a referendum.
    K.Flyer wrote:
    And as for young Halawa, kindly point out any of my posts where I attempted to Attack or Flog him.

Not very strong on your Idioms are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,157 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

By who?

Bookies.

He was 100/1 at one stage

He was 100/1 at one stage

When he declared he was 25 /1.

What odds would you get on an islamist candidate?

He (unwisely) tried to temporarily waive some elements, pending the presentation of a new constitution - which would have been subject to a referendum.

See where "unwisely" got him and the sh!tstorm he created. Still amounts to same thing though, he did make changes without a constitutional referendum.

When he declared he was 25 /1.

What odds would you get on an islamist candidate?

#Askpaddy.

Lets hope we never see day.

K.Flyer wrote:
    See where "unwisely" got him and the sh!tstorm he created. Still amounts to same thing though, he did make changes without a constitutional referendum.

Not the same thing at all. It was an attempt to circumvent the power of the (Mubarak appointed) judiciary to stop his prosecution. It was rightly crticised and opposed, although the motives were laudable.

#Askpaddy.

Lets hope we never see day.

I don't know about odds myself, but one influential Muslim appears to have set their sights that it may happen that some day Sharia law is in Ireland
    Although, in fairness, he did admit ten years ago that the chances of it happening are slim.
    I wonder given the huge rise of Islam in the country over the last decade has his view on "slim chance" changed.

K.Flyer wrote:
    I wonder given the huge rise of Islam in the country over the last decade has his view on "slim chance" changed.

At 1.06% in the last census, it has a bit more huge rising to do.

A census that even the CSO have admitted is off by up to 150,000.

The census is not a reflection of the country

The census is not a reflection of the country

Neither is paranoid exaggeration.

• Advertisement

I note that Morsi has been frequently painted by pro MBers as an advocate for democracy. Tbh that is a complete joke and deliberate misinformation

Whilst in power Morsi issued a temporary constitutional declaration which effectively granted him unlimited powers and the power to legislate without judicial oversight or review of his acts.

A new constitution that was then quickly drawn up by the Islamist-dominated constitutional assembly, nominally presented to Morsi , and scheduled for a referendum, before the Supreme Constitutional Court could rule on the constitutionality of the assembly. This shenanigans by Morsi and his MB government was described as being in effect an "Islamist coup'

The strange thing here is that some posters here would deny that any such undemocratic practices would be possible even though it was already attempted.

It's also quite amazing the amount of misinformation and apparent propaganda about MB and Morsi which has been posted

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2013/02/07/egypt-rule-brotherhood/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement