Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time knocked down

Options
  • 18-09-2017 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

First time knocked off my bike by being hit by a vehicle. Van hit me, slowed down to watch he hit me then drove off. Got license plate and seen house he parked in.
    Is it worth while reporting it and will the garda be able to do much with it? I cycled up to the van and can see my footprint on the van from where I put it to stop going under the back wheel.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

deceit wrote: »
    First time knocked off my bike by being hit by a vehicle. Van hit me, slowed down to watch he hit me then drove off. Got license plate and seen house he parked in.
    Is it worth while reporting it and will the garda be able to do much with it? I cycled up to the van and can see my footprint on the van from where I put it to stop going under the back wheel.

Any witnesses to it?

Definitely call the guards but I doubt they'll give a damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If anything leaving a collision is a crime.

Report it, get a pulse number. Anyone who does stuff like that is pure scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Confirm: He hit you, and left the scene? As in a hit and run?

If that's the case, absolutely report it. It is unbelievably serious, and he deserves the unabridged book flung at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

deceit wrote: »

Report him straight away.

I have unfortunately been in the opposite side of something like this .
    Having caused a cyclist to fall off, I stopped my van and called the emergency services and gave assistance as best I could while waiting for them to arrive.

The driver caused the accident and left the scene _ what a d!ck.

Hope you are OK .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Was lots of witnesses but I never got any of their details, I forgot to ask any of them for details when it happened. Was more in shock what had happened that just sat down for a few minutes before would head home to get my phone.
    Loads of vehicles beeped at the van from the other side of the road to point out what he did also. Really need to fit my cam back to my bike.
    The person slowed down, looked in wing mirror the drove on quickly.
    Happened on Sandyford road and person parked up in a garden nearby.

• Advertisement

Report him straight away.

I have unfortunately been in the opposite side of something like this .
    Having caused a cyclist to fall off, I stopped my van and called the emergency services and gave assistance as best I could while waiting for them to arrive.

The driver caused the accident and left the scene _ what a d!ck.

Hope you are OK .
    I've reported him, will wait and see what happens now, garda want to get a report from me before go visit the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Tomred13

Hi Deceit,

Hope your feeling okay, did you get cut or bruised up in the accident. Your probably still in shock too. Mind yourself and rest up. You did the right thing reporting it, your life is as important as anyone else's, and that other person left the scene of a serious accident/collision, for all he knew you could have died. He will probably be issued with a visit and a stern warning, but that warning may save a life later on.

Ps..Hope the bikes okay too? no one asked about the bike?? tut tut..
    Best of luck with the gardai..
    D

Tomred13 wrote: »
    Hi Deceit,

Hope your feeling okay, did you get cut or bruised up in the accident. Your probably still in shock too. Mind yourself and rest up. You did the right thing reporting it, your life is as important as anyone else's, and that other person left the scene of a serious accident/collision, for all he knew you could have died. He will probably be issued with a visit and a stern warning, but that warning may save a life later on.

Ps..Hope the bikes okay too? no one asked about the bike?? tut tut..
    Best of luck with the gardai..
    D
    Just had the Gardai over to have a chat with me (Two really nice guys). They are going to have a word with him then I've to see where it goes from their.
    Yea, I wouldn't have been bothered at all if he stopped, even if he wrecked my bike etc (He didn't bike is fine), I would have been happy enough that he stopped and made sure I was okay and would have left it at that.
    The fact he drove off shows that he is just scum.

Advertisement