Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Ryan - Amazon Original (**Spoilers**)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just finished. Overall it was alright.

Story had holes but wrapped up decent enough.

Wendell Pierce (Bunk from The Wire) who played Greer definitely shone through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Slydice wrote: »
    Just finished. Overall it was alright.

Story had holes but wrapped up decent enough.

Wendell Pierce (Bunk from The Wire) who played Greer definitely shone through.

In fairness he is with regularity ,the best actor in whatever show he is in .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Binged on this since yesterday. Yeah, its OK. Some of the plotlines ripped from the headlines and others cogged from other movies /tv shows. As I was watching, I kept asking myself, what was that in?

The formation of the Suleiman backstory was very good. There's a definite moral there about how the West is creating a lot of the ISIS/ Islamic terrorism by its alienation of young men. The way Suleiman, trained at Credit Suisse, was deemed unsuitable by the banking aristocracy was probably quite typical of how French society operates.

This show has nothing to do with Tom Clancy/ Cathy/ Jim Greer as portrayed in Clancy's books. It's just their names have been used to populate a character list with recognisable monikers. There's nothing new or original, and there's loads of outrageous coincidence that beggar belief.
    All that said, its an enjoyable enough watch but not in the same league as well written series like Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, or even Homeland. Acting is OK, but as others have said, Wendall Pierce scores again.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,374 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I finished it earlier in the week. I wouldn't be running out and telling everyone to watch it but I enjoyed it well enough. It was a decent enough thriller and kept me interested enough throughout.

Greer was the best character for sure imo, the part on the beach with the refugees was bad ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,970 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so Ryan gets shot and he's still there sitting on stretcher.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    This show has nothing to do with Tom Clancy/ Cathy/ Jim Greer as portrayed in Clancy's books. It's just their names have been used to populate a character list with recognisable monikers. There's nothing new or original, and there's loads of outrageous coincidence that beggar belief.

Clancy was an investment banker former marine who was injured in a helicopter accident who started going out with his former boss's daughter who turned into his wife, the only thing missing was his fear of flying. Greer was moved around Langley before getting the Moscow office for the Cardinal of the Kremlin, I thought they did a very good job of bringing the characters into the present day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Quick question.

The scenes in Syria etc. Should there be subtitles?????

As in every non English speaking scene has no subtitles and they go on for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Iang87 wrote: »
    Quick question.

The scenes in Syria etc. Should there be subtitles?????

As in every non English speaking scene has no subtitles and they go on for a while

Everything I watched had subs for non-English scenes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Given that I didn't have high expectations for this, I really enjoyed it. There were plot holes and silliness etc but way less than most similar progs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Everything I watched had subs for non-English scenes...

Seems to be something to do with the app as opposed to online. To get the non english scenes i've got to leave subtitles throughout the episode. Little annoying but we'll get by

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Michael B Jordan is joining series 2 as Clark (source: Vanity)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Clareman wrote: »
    Michael B Jordan is joining series 2 as Clark (source: Vanity)

Not the Amazon series but his own Rainbow Six film series.

Not the Amazon series but his own Rainbow Six film series.

Oops, that's what I get for skimming through an article, I thought Clark was introduced in the first series alright. :o:o:o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,612 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its good but some howlers, safe house experts letting kids have internet devices...yea right, drone operator travelling half way round the world to say sorry, that happens every day. Not totally a fan of John Krasinski's acting, too much of the puppy dog, or has constipation or is trying to channel Angel expression about him.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

NIMAN wrote: »
    Deciding whether to start this or not.

If you check out any of the major TV series in the last 10 years on IMDB they all tend to get above 8/10, which would suggest they are all excellent. This is same.

So as someone with not much TV viewing time, I have to be a bit more selective.

Should I start this one?
    I only just started it recently, and was not hooked in the first 2 episodes... it really starts to pick up in episode 3 IMO and by episode 5 I was hooked in.

I only just started it recently, and was not hooked in the first 2 episodes... it really starts to pick up in episode 3 IMO and by episode 5 I was hooked in.

It's pure bubblegum rubbish that is fine for switching the brain off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,289 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Carlton Cuse has stepped down as show runner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭bnt

After one episode, I'm going to persevere because I'm interested in seeing what they do with the character. Most movie versions have not done him justice - Alec Baldwin was the closest, I thought.

Early on I saw a few things that threw me off e.g. Ryan is recovering from a major back injury, yet we see him zooming around downtown Washington DC on a bike. He pulls up to CIA headquarters, which apparently looks like a college from the outside, and walks in to a meeting like he had just stepped out of the shower. Never mind that CIA HQ is in Langley VA, over eight miles away, not downtown DC.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

bnt wrote: »
    After one episode, I'm going to persevere because I'm interested in seeing what they do with the character. Most movie versions have not done him justice - Alec Baldwin was the closest, I thought.

Early on I saw a few things that threw me off e.g. Ryan is recovering from a major back injury, yet we see him zooming around downtown Washington DC on a bike. He pulls up to CIA headquarters, which apparently looks like a college from the outside, and walks in to a meeting like he had just stepped out of the shower. Never mind that CIA HQ is in Langley VA, over eight miles away, not downtown DC.

if you're focused on plot / location holes this is not the show for you!

light watchable caper that doesn't take itself 100% seriously and works because of that.

it knows what it is and is fine with that - not pretending to be profound.

• Advertisement

I found it a great show, it tries to link a lot of book stuff to 1 central story which doesn't always work but I liked it and am looking forward to the next couple of series.

bnt wrote: »
    He pulls up to CIA headquarters, which apparently looks like a college from the outside

IIRC he goes to the new HQ building and uses the entrance between the NHQ an the Original HQ.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, it's far from a profound, weighty show and is probably the closest thing to a conventional US network drama Amazon have produced. Not a criticism mind you: I found it slick and tense, plus that Amazon money meant it was far more globe-trotting and epic in scope than anything you would have got on a traditional network (those French slums felt real, authentic for instance).

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah, it's far from a profound, weighty show and is probably the closest thing to a conventional US network drama Amazon have produced. Not a criticism mind you: I found it slick and tense, plus that Amazon money meant it was far more globe-trotting and epic in scope than anything you would have got on a traditional network (those French slums felt real, authentic for instance).
    Agreed, it reminds me very much of a (less good) version of Covert Affairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,507 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Anybody know when season 2 is starting?

Estimated for sometime in the Autumn, October would be my guess as it would be in line with series 1 but they are filming 2 series so it might take a bit longer to do

https://screenrant.com/jack-ryan-season-2-release-date-story-details/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,087 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Oh that first scene reminds me of Clear and Present Danger!

I'd love to see them do a modern take on Patriot Games based around and during Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Full trailer has been released for Season 2;

Advertisement