Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring car with insurer abroad

Options
  • 18-09-2017 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,
    I cannot find a proper answer to this question anywhere. Does anyone know can I insure my car with a company that is not Irish, but from a different EU country(If the company agrees to insure it of course). Insurance cost abroad are so much cheaper compared to Ireland.. Or is it illegal to do that? I mean that is kind of most logical thing to do with insurance premiums rising so dramatically.. For 3 years now my premium keeps rising by 200+ euro every time I need to renew, even though I have never made a claim for 6years.
    Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

My understanding is that yes you can legally but nobody (company) does it as it is just a headache and not worth their while

My motorbike insurance is done through an Irish broker with a UK underwriter however. .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 PoLLL

I will try to email one of the companies from Baltics and see would they insure me. As I was talking to one of my friends from Lithuania and they pay 50-180euro per year for insurance. The only thing that if they will, is that in Ireland we use insurance disks, where other European countries don't have that, so I'm not sure how would that work. I will update thread when they get back to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

PoLLL wrote: »
    Hi,
    Insurance cost abroad are so much cheaper compared to Ireland..

They are cheaper because they pay claims for accidents in the same jurisdiction as you pay the premium. All the big foreign players are here already, so don't expect Zurich Poland to offer a quote better than Zurich Ireland, leaving aside the licencing issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

as far as i know a financial services providers must be registered/authorised with the CBI to trade here, so probably not feasable. but no harm in checking it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

TheShow wrote: »
    as far as i know a financial services providers must be registered/authorised with the CBI to trade here, so probably not feasable. but no harm in checking it out.

Through freedom of trade any EU insurer can write business here but there is a reason they choose not to.

Aside from the language barrier and chunky legislation over here there is also the small matter of the toxic claims environment.

People cannot seem to get their heads around the fact insurance here is a bit of a basket case and companies do not want to run the risk of falling foul of the litigious nature of alot of Irish road users.

• Advertisement
Advertisement