Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance covers a second car

Options
  • 18-09-2017 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

I work fulltime and also do a bit of farming
    Problem is my car always gets dirty so I decided to buy a second car for the farm that I can get dirty

I checked my insurance (full comprehensive) and my policy says I am covered to drive another car (it can not be a commerical vehichle or it cant be in my name)

So to get around this my wife bought a second car in her name.

I rang the insurance company and they confirmed Im was covered to drive this car, even though there is no insurance policy on the car. (my wife has a separate insurance policy in her name)

Now my wife is taxing the "farming car" and the tax people are looking for the insurance details what should she include on the form. Just wondering if this is mandatory when taxing a car to include the car insurance details

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Tomjim wrote: »
    I work fulltime and also do a bit of farming
    Problem is my car always gets dirty so I decided to buy a second car for the farm that I can get dirty

I checked my insurance (full comprehensive) and my policy says I am covered to drive another car (it can not be a commerical vehichle or it cant be in my name)

So to get around this my wife bought a second car in her name.

I rang the insurance company and they confirmed Im was covered to drive this car, even though there is no insurance policy on the car. (my wife has a separate insurance policy in her name)

Now my wife is taxing the "farming car" and the tax people are looking for the insurance details what should she include on the form. Just wondering if this is mandatory when taxing a car to include the car insurance details

To tax or NCT a car there has to be a valid policy of insurance on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Just put down the policy number of the policy that covers the second car.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Cocobongo

Or put zero’s.. never had a policy number next to me when paying the tax, didn’t have any problems for the last 8 years either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I have a spare car which I use on an almost daily basis.

My policy covers me to drive it.

I taxed it in May using my own insurance details without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Patww79 wrote: »

You have to fill it out, it just doesn't have to be correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

I have a spare car which I use on an almost daily basis.

My policy covers me to drive it.

I taxed it in May using my own insurance details without issue.

What way do you have that arranged?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

To tax or NCT a car there has to be a valid policy of insurance on it.

True with tax, not true with NCT.
    No need for valid insurance policy on a car to NCT it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Just to flag this as it's likely to become common across the 'industry' over time, it used to be a much repeated (and false) urban myth but is now true for one company.....

Aviva currently state that the 'driving other cars' clause in your policy will not cover you to drive another car unless that car has a policy of it's own. A lot of policies also state that you are not a frequent user of that car - it's supposed to be a bona fide loan on an occasional basis, not a permanent feature of your household. So I'd be very wary about having two cars and one policy and expecting the primary policy to step in and cover a car in the family that has no policy.

Insurance company: 'so Mr. Murphy, what you're saying is that your wife owns two cars, she has a policy on one and none on the other and it's the uninsured car that you 'borrow' from time to time? Pull the other one.'

• Advertisement
Advertisement