Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike making noise

Options
  • 18-09-2017 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

I'm having this problem with my new hybrid bike where what I believe to be the crankset is creaking, particularly when I'm cycling in a high gear. I've had this problem with my old bike and I replaced the bottom bracket and that fixed it, but I'm very surprised to hear this from a brand new bike!

I did ask the shop about it a month after I bought it, but they just said it's the bike just settling in and that it takes a while for everything to fit right, but that sounds like nonsense to me.

Any advice?

Comments

Usually the shop will tell you to come back with a new bike a month to 6 weeks after you get it for things to be checked and tightened etc. because of that "settling in"

Have you had it back with them since you got it or just asked on phone etc? Every time I've got a bike in a shop I've been told to bring it back in. I've a had a bb replaced myself before on a new bike but usually it's stuff I spot and fix myself like slight adjustment to breaks or gears making noise after a few weeks.

It's not ... at least in my experience something shops charge you for either. Even Halfords will tell you to take a new one back with in 6 weeks for a check.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Are the wheel sqewer's tight?
    Are the pedals tight?
    Are the cranks tight?
    Are the stem bolts tight?
    Are the handlebar bolts tight?
    Is the seatpost clamp tight?
    Are the chainring bolts tight?

And finally..what kind of BB s on the bike? Pressfit? BB30?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Bring the bike back, tell them it hasn't 'settled' in and to kindly sort it out. Do not accept the same line again. It should not creak.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They should do a 6wks first service to deal with these kind of issues. If they dont it might say something about them as a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I did the 1 month check up but that was the line they gave me.

My bike laid idle for about a month when I got tired of getting punctures and I replaced the tyres. Could it be related to that, like something I didn't tighten correctly? Although I'm almost certain it's coming from the crankset.

• Advertisement
Advertisement