Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many lights on your rothar?

Options
  • 18-09-2017 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

I have two front lights, one main beam on the handle bars and another auxiliary mounted smaller one on the right side of my fork. Usually I use one but rarely both at the same time. Makes sense if I get a dead battery on my commute I can switch on my auxiliary fork mounted light as back up. One simple flasher on the back.

What do you have?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

One front and one back. See.Sense icon+ lights. Battery lasts hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

One front, one rear. +1 18650 in a small box in my satchel in case one gets a bit dim.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Commuter bike:

Rear light:
    Hope district rear light

Front light:
    Hope R4 front light.

I also carry a Cateye front and rear light as backups and a spare battery for my "main lights"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Dynamo hubbed B+M light up front that's more than enough

Fly 6 on bike but also a cateye and some other usb light for back up attached. Have 1 on the helmet too just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

2 front and 2 back, I don't buy the best quality lights so I always want a backup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Lezyne 450XL front and lezyne strip light on the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

front fly 12 + exposure link on helmet + lezyne zecto as backup. back fly 6 + exposure link on helmet and need to get myself a small cateye to mount on the rack for backup.

i was amazed at the amount of people cycling without lights at 8pm yesterday. gardaí had pulled in some lad at ringsend for a word about it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

front fly 12 + exposure link on helmet + lezyne zecto as backup. back fly 6 + exposure link on helmet and need to get myself a small cateye to mount on the rack for backup.

i was amazed at the amount of people cycling without lights at 8pm yesterday. gardaí had pulled in some lad at ringsend for a word about it too.

Cars without lights at that time too!

I generally like to have 2 front and 2 rear. With one being a main light, and another as a backup. At the moment I have one of these:
    https://www.candb-seen.co.uk/product-single-1000lm-lamp-head-unit-black.html
    For the unlit sections of my commute.

And on the rear a See.sense Icon, great light but I reckon overpriced for what it is. The backup lights are relatively cheap lifeline lights from wiggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

And on the rear a See.sense Icon, great light but I reckon overpriced for what it is.

i forgot i have one of those coming from the Dublin data trial. that should do as my 2nd proper rear light so!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

On all my bikes, I use a Cateye HL-EL520 at the front, and a Smart Lunar R2 at the rear. I mount the R2 just below the rear reflector on the cargo bike and on the touring bike I have, and I have a rear reflector with a built-in LED light, so together they sort of make one big light. On the cargo bike I also have a hub dynamo front light, so I have four lights on that bike, three on all the others (the Brompton also has a LED/reflector combo).

I also have wrist lights, which is a lonely furrow I plough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Two front - one decent lenzyne capable of 500lumen for unlit sections of my commute, plus a weaker LIDL unit. I generally have the lenzyne on flash until the dark section of my route.

Rear - a cheap Smart on flash and a 2 x 0.5 LED on full time (as it doesn't flash)

All except the Smart are rechargeable. I've a few RSA freebies in the bag in case of further backup.

My rucksack is high contrast and has plenty of good quality reflective material on it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Hub dynamo with B+M lights front and rear.

On audax rides I carry a spare front and rear light in case of dynamo problems (also useful for night time repairs)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Rear - Garmin varia light radar and Bontrager Flare R light.
    Front - Lezyne 800 Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hub dynamo with B+M lights front and rear.

I keep a flaming Cat eye on the back too, uses aaa batteries last about two months.

Also keep a spare pair of small lenzyes in the bag for stuff like fixing tubes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Functional bike: surprisingly bright white front light from Tiger Trading; CatEye back light.

Good bike: Japanese white light that automatically turns on when bike is moving on front; See.Sense Icon light on back, battery lasts weeks, or days if I pair it with phone for crash report functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

On my commuting bike I have 2 on the front, one set to flash until the unlit sections when it gets off-putting and one steady. both USB rechargeable. One the back I have one on the bike and a small flashing red light attached to my rucksack.
    I transfer one of each over to the good bike around this time of year, although I forgot to put a strip of old inner tube rubber under the mount of the front one last year, and now have a graze on the handlebars from the mount.
    I'd like to get a dynamo and fixed lights for the commuter, but haven't done it yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

When urban commuting, two front/ two rear. One flashing one steady front and rear - more "be seen" that "see" lights though.

When rural, I use my cree light as a "see" - I don't fret the dispersal battern too much, I just manually dip it on the handle bar when a car dips for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Lezyne Macro Drive 800XL on front and Lezyne Strip Drive Pro 150 on the rear.

The 800XL is bright enough for the unlit back roads, good illumination of the surrounding trees etc. I see they have a Strip Drive Pro 300 now, madness. 150 is bright enough for daylight flashing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

On my commuting bike I have 2 on the front, one set to flash until the unlit sections when it gets off-putting and one steady. both USB rechargeable. One the back I have one on the bike and a small flashing red light attached to my rucksack.
    I transfer one of each over to the good bike around this time of year, although I forgot to put a strip of old inner tube rubber under the mount of the front one last year, and now have a graze on the handlebars from the mount.
    I'd like to get a dynamo and fixed lights for the commuter, but haven't done it yet..
    Do it. Do it now. Just in time for the coming winter. Initial investment is a little high but then you're done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have a generic enough BBB branded light on the front of the bike - nothing special, but i was a little disappointed with the brightness. just popped it open to replace the batteries to discover that one of the (four AAA) factory fitted batteries was inserted in reverse. switched it around, hey presto. you'd think someone who has a job of inserting batteries might understand the concept of polarity...

• Advertisement

i have a generic enough BBB branded light on the front of the bike - nothing special, but i was a little disappointed with the brightness. just popped it open to replace the batteries to discover that one of the (four AAA) factory fitted batteries was inserted in reverse. switched it around, hey presto. you'd think someone who has a job of inserting batteries might understand the concept of polarity...

You should really swap all four when you get the chance. Running it reversed likely destroyed the 4th cell and brought the three good ones way down (depending on s/p config).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I've a Trelock LS950 Control Ion on the front and Infini Sword Super Bright 30 on the back.
    Front light I really like, I bought the LS720 for the rear but it died after one use! Hence getting the Infini, which I've no complaints with.
    Gonna invest in some helmet lights next, any recommendations? Those Exposure Link mentioned above look the part.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ED E wrote: »
    You should really swap all four when you get the chance. Running it reversed likely destroyed the 4th cell and brought the three good ones way down (depending on s/p config).
    cheers, you mean cell as in one of the batteries, or one of the internal components of the light itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

2 up front and 1 rear. The set of lights are from Lidl and third one is Cateye Omni for flashing (lost its cover when I hit a bump in the road, sent the lens and 2 aaa accus flying and didn't notice until I had to turn it on).
    I'm getting a Moon Meteor Storm Pro as I find the Lidl on not bright enough for unlit roads. It should do the job for a while as don't want spend any big money on lights soon. But I still have to find a smaller flasher for reasonable money.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

One front, one back and one on the helmet that's both (and can be a backup if ever required)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

TWO

Do I get a prize? :)

cheers, you mean cell as in one of the batteries, or one of the internal components of the light itself?

Yeah, the batteries themselves. With simple batteries the two words are synonymous (When you spend days playing with a desk full of chargers you get lost in the jargon :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Sparse front light. Battery isn't great and charging by USB is a bit of a pain. No longer available to buy. Cost me ~€120 for the front and rear set but I don't use the rear.

l6bQAWWm.jpg

Lightskin seatpost. Two AA batteries, lasts for ages. About €50 on eBay.

lb04bvtm.jpg

Reelight SL200 set. Dynamo lights, so always on. Maybe €50.

jeW47pSm.jpg
    nAv8M7am.jpg

Helmet chosen because it has a rear red LED. Battery seems fine. €30.

iUuLOSqm.jpg

Then Pinhead security set so nothing gets stolen. €85

Advertisement