Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on a shed.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Wooden shed will have less problems with condensation and if you want to attach stuff to the inside or line it thats going to be easy. Windows in wood sheds can be really cheap and nasty - replace with second hand house windows.

Lining isn't normally much on a steel shed.

Put a wood shed up with a single block pad under each lateral strut, steel shed normally needs a concrete foundation.

Wooden shed will need more maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Yea I was going steel but have changed my mind since, have the ground work done for a steel and was going to lay the base soon but not going to bother now and going with wood.
    Was just wondering are the obrien sheds worth the premium over the other one I linked.
    Or if anybody has experience of others.
    Thanks.

I don't have an O'Brien shed but very similar, in fact identical ;)

Windows are really crap in both and the doors are always a poor fit. If its more than just space for storage you will need to do a bit of work to be totally happy with it.

Both designs you linked to have poor windows and use exactly the same dimensional timber. The quality and finish of the timber may be better in the second.

I've made sheds myself and how the timber is stored before use and choice of individual components (like rejecting bits with knots in the wrong place) makes the biggest difference to a good wood shed.

Another big issue with the larger sheds is that they can get handled very badly during transport. The design leaves some very weak edges util the shed is assembled and if there are only two guys handling a 10ft x 5 ft section its bound to get dragged along the ground.

btw if you have room at each end for access you may find its worth paying for an extra door so you have one at each end.

Edit> Don't like the roof in the second link its very poorly done.

Cool thanks for the detailed reply.
    Yea the roof is worse in the second, I can option in a pvc double glazed window in the obriens one I think.
    The shed will be going in with the long side facing the house.
    So double door on long side and room for one window on that side too, no access on any other side.
    Is a steel cladding roof better than the torch felt roof, or will that be prone to condensation?

XsApollo wrote: »
    Cool thanks for the detailed reply.
    Yea the roof is worse in the second, I can option in a pvc double glazed window in the obriens one I think.
    The shed will be going in with the long side facing the house.
    So double door on long side and room for one window on that side too, no access on any other side.
    Is a steel cladding roof better than the torch felt roof, or will that be prone to condensation?

The roof needs to be wood (not plywood) to put the torch on felt on it. So why you should get (but ask) is a wooden roof with a membrane and then the cladding. I would guess they miss the wood out when they put the cladding on but thats when you will get condensation.

Roof needs to stick out a bit more on the sides like in the first link. Its just being tight with materials in the second.

• Advertisement

Cool will ask and see.
    O Brien's ones seems the better one so
    Will pop in to then and have a look.
    Thanks

Just noticed the OSB board for floors and roof on the O'Brien sheds. Thats another cost saving area. It takes less time to make up with OSB board and I think its cheaper than plank wood but isn't a good in the long run. Same way I said you don't want plywood for the roof you want OSB even less. Its down to how long the materials last. The old way was just to use butt jointed boards for roof and floor and because they would have the same preservative treatment as the shiplap then they' wouldn't rot if you got a leak or the roof felt got damaged.

Ok,
    Each one has their pros and cons.
    I wish I could just buy stuff without giving a sh*t about what I'm buying, always researching.
    Now I'll have to keep looking and researching.

So now I am looking I have spotted some log cabins that could be used as a shed for near the same money and look a lot nicer :-S

https://www.logcabins4less.ie/product/log-cabin-nice/

I presume you can't just plonk one of them in the garden without some sort of planning permission or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Just to throw another spanner in the works, I got a 8 x 8 plastic Keter shed and it's the business. Only real drawbacks is that it's not really possible to hang many shelves etc off it - mine came with one shelf but you can get a few of them. You can't hang bike hangers though.

No maintenance, waterproof and no condensation.

http://www.keter.com/en/large-buildings-6

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

I don't want a Shed. but after reading this thread, I now feel I need one

• Advertisement

professore wrote: »
    Just to throw another spanner in the works, I got a 8 x 8 plastic Keter shed and it's the business. Only real drawbacks is that it's not really possible to hang many shelves etc off it - mine came with one shelf but you can get a few of them. You can't hang bike hangers though.

A local builders merchants has a couple on display in their carpark, I covet them every time I go there :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Steel shed all the way for me. I had two wooden ones in the past and they just didn't last. I didn't see the point in paying out again for another wooden one but my steel one is excellent. I don't notice any condensation at all by the way... (mind you, there are no windows so would that make a difference?)

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

professore wrote: »

Put up sheets of shuttering ply, or mdf, bolted through in a good few places, or fixed with cavity fixings, if there is a cavity, and attach as many shelves etc as you like.
    If bolted through, use big washers, backed with a mastic sealant. Stainless steel bolts if rust is feared.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 nipper banks

Hi
    Thanks for all the advice on sheds.
    Is it true that there is a boycott on Keter, as they are Israeli and involved in the occupied territories?

Hi
    Thanks for all the advice on sheds.
    Is it true that there is a boycott on Keter, as they are Israeli and involved in the occupied territories?

I don't know who makes them but they are generally crap thats why I wouldn't buy one. As an example our local builders merchants had two of them outside the shop last year, a week later the doors had blown off in the wind a month later they were blown over (no doors made them more susceptible). If you remember to lock the doors every time you use them they will be fine but forget them once and they may not be there when you get back.

Advertisement