Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invited to go to interview for a job that is offering me much more than the one I hav

Options
  • 19-09-2017 7:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I accepted a job last week but have not signed anything. It was through a recruitment agency. A different recruitment agency called me up about a different job soon after. I told them I had already accepted the job but she said that there's no harm in me going to have a chat and that we could be honest about my situation. She said that they will probably offer me more money and it will be less pressure. I said my concern about it being unprofessional but She said that these things happen. Can anyone offer me any advice? Should I go to this interview and see what happens? I might not get offered anything in the end anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Go for it.
    These things DO happen all the time.
    The employer you accepted the offer from can offer the position to the next person on their list should you not join them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Also employers do occasionally withdraw offers before contract signed. And can let you go during probabtion.

So I would go for it but would try and get a quick decision from the second co and not leave it too long to tell the first company.

I once had a new employee not show up on their first day. Had to chase them down. Eventually got an email saying their existing employer had made them an offer to stay.

Now that was unprofessional but I didn't dwell on it for long as it just happens from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Go for it! It is only a chat, you have nothing to lose.

You will probably be more relaxed and come across more confident, as you already know you have the new job lined up anyway?

For what its worth, I know of two people recently who left their new jobs within their first few probation period, you got to look after yourself. The company was disappointed to lose them, but understood its circumstance and everyone wants whats or should want best for themselves.

Obviously if you do take the other job, be professional and let the other employee know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bananaramaman

gucci wrote: »
    Go for it! It is only a chat, you have nothing to lose.

You will probably be more relaxed and come across more confident, as you already know you have the new job lined up anyway?

For what its worth, I know of two people recently who left their new jobs within their first few probation period, you got to look after yourself. The company was disappointed to lose them, but understood its circumstance and everyone wants whats or should want best for themselves.

Obviously if you do take the other job, be professional and let the other employee know.

I was just surprised that the recruitment consultant was pushing me to go. Maybe the business world is not as professional as I think. Surely the company wanting to have a chat with me are also unethical as they are aware of my situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I was just surprised that the recruitment consultant was pushing me to go. Maybe the business world is not as professional as I think. Surely the company wanting to have a chat with me are also unethical as they are aware of my situation.

Go for it.

The recruitment consultant is pushing you because they'll likely get a "bounty" if you are recruited.

My only other advice is don't be an arse and try and play one prospective employer against other or else you run the risk of getting nothing from either.

• Advertisement

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Also employers do occasionally withdraw offers before contract signed. And can let you go during probabtion.

So I would go for it but would try and get a quick decision from the second co and not leave it too long to tell the first company.

I once had a new employee not show up on their first day. Had to chase them down. Eventually got an email saying their existing employer had made them an offer to stay.

Now that was unprofessional but I didn't dwell on it for long as it just happens from time to time.

The only thing is that this company where I accepted is a really big company. I just know they will not take it well. The original recruitment consultant will also despise me and tell me that it will damage my reputation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

The only thing is that this company where I accepted is a really big company. I just know they will not take it well. The original recruitment consultant will also despise me and tell me that it will damage my reputation etc.

Don't be worrying about these things and concentrate on what's best for you. No harm in having a chat with these guys, it may amount to nothing but you won't know until you find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

You're totally over-thinking this.

Just go along to the meeting, even if it's just out of curiosity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 Lickin2me

Be happy ive had loads money. It dont make you happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

The original recruitment consultant would be unlikely to do business with you again but to be honest I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor.
    Had you already given the second recruiter the go ahead to send your CV or had they sent it without asking you? Either way the second recruiter is being a bit out of order, if a candidate tells me they have accepted a role elsewhere I generally leave it there unless I have an offer for them, in saying that, which job would you prefer, is the second job much better?

The original employer and recruiter will get over it should you not start, things happen. The only advice I would give is tell the second recruiter that it needs to move fast because you want to make a decision asap.

• Advertisement

The original recruitment consultant would be unlikely to do business with you again but to be honest I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor.
    Had you already given the second recruiter the go ahead to send your CV or had they sent it without asking you? Either way the second recruiter is being a bit out of order, if a candidate tells me they have accepted a role elsewhere I generally leave it there unless I have an offer for them, in saying that, which job would you prefer, is the second job much better?

The original employer and recruiter will get over it should you not start, things happen. The only advice I would give is tell the second recruiter that it needs to move fast because you want to make a decision asap.
    The second recruiter really pushed me to send it as she said there would be no harm in meeting them if they wanted to see me. I would consider the second job to be less pressure and potentially a better working environment and culture. The first job is a larger company so is more a CV builder.

The second recruiter really pushed me to send it as she said there would be no harm in meeting them if they wanted to see me. I would consider the second job to be less pressure and potentially a better working environment and culture. The first job is a larger company so is more a CV builder.

Any specific qualifications needed for the second role? Would applicants be in short supply? If not it sounds like they had already sent your CV, which is rotten form if done without your permission and they really don't want to tell the employer you're off the market.

At the end of the day, none of that is your concern now and you make the decision that suits you best.

Any specific qualifications needed for the second role? Would applicants be in short supply? If not it sounds like they had already sent your CV, which is rotten form if done without your permission and they really don't want to tell the employer you're off the market.

At the end of the day, none of that is your concern now and you make the decision that suits you best.
    She had told me that they are working exclusively on the role so the only people up for the position will be sent by them.

She had told me that they are working exclusively on the role so the only people up for the position will be sent by them.

I mean would there be few people with the required experience or qualifications?

I mean would there be few people with the required experience or qualifications?
    I would say that there would be many with the required qualifications but few with the exact experience they are looking for. I would have both.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭screamer

Life is short, and good opportunities only come along so often. Forget feeling bad for letting down the first offer or the recruitment agency, the only person you have to answer to is yourself. If you look in a mirror 2 years down the line, what will you say? I'm glad I took the lower paid job, and preserved my reputation with one company and one recruiter, or I'm glad I took the better offer, and I'm getting more reward for doing the same job elsewehere...... only you can answer that. Good luck with your decision.

Update: So the interview has been scheduled for tomorrow and this will be two weeks before I am due to start the other job. Is this too close? My contract also came a week ago so I am sure they are expecting me to return it. I said all this to the recruitment consultant but said that I have nothing to worry about and my ethical concerns should not be a reason not to go to the other interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,747 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Go tomorrow to the interview and then see where you're at afterwards, it might be for you it might not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

How did the interview go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

The new company is potentially offering you "much more". The question you need to ask is this increase of greater value than the reputation/gravitas of the other company.

BTW, recruitment agents are salesmen *full stop* You're the product they are selling.

From a company point of view this happens. They'll manage to survive and get over it.

As somebody said above you're waaay over thinking this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

The only thing is that this company where I accepted is a really big company. I just know they will not take it well.

They'll barely notice. If it's a big company their HR staff deal with things like this on a routine basis. They'll just shrug and pull the next candidate from their list. To them you're just another name that they'll quickly forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Jawgap wrote: »

Go for it.

The recruitment consultant is pushing you because they'll likely get a "bounty" if you are recruited.

My only other advice is don't be an arse and try and play one prospective employer against other or else you run the risk of getting nothing from either.
    My experience has been that behaviour can be rewarded....repeatedly. I wouldn't do it myself because I find it disrespectful to all involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

My experience has been that behaviour can be rewarded...

Yes, in this case the behaviour of self interest will be rewarded.

Esse85 wrote: »
    How did the interview go?
    I'm glad I went and I was also completely honest with them about my situation. They didn't offer me the job in the end as they thought it would be a "sideways" step for me. They said they really liked me and wished me the best of luck in the other role. They offered it to someone who was just qualified so that speaks volumes. All recruitment consultants are salesmen as someone else said.

If I had bee offered this job and took it instead of the other one a lot of people probably would have been shocked at me turning down such a prestigious company. It will be good to get this on the CV. I Just hope it works out.

Advertisement