Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A temporary decision.....

Options
  • 19-09-2017 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello all,

I'm in a current locum (temporary position) which was due to end in October but it has been extended for a further 6 months working in a public sector organisation in a stressful profession. I don't enjoy the role and feel I may be deskilling whilst here.

I have been offered another temporary post, in an acute busy setting however it is only for 3 months. I feel it will be the stepping stone I need to progress my career into an area that I would be passionate about. But there is a huge financial risk if the contract doesn't get extended.

I am renting with a sister and have savings which I can rely on if that happens. I have no children or no mortgage. I just cleared my car loan in July. With all of these factors, I just can't seem to look at the bigger picture. I am a good candidate for permanency in my current role, but it isn't what I want long term. I need to make a decision today. Any advice would be appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

leahb17 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I'm in a current locum (temporary position) which was due to end in October but it has been extended for a further 6 months working in a public sector organisation in a stressful profession. I don't enjoy the role and feel I may be deskilling whilst here.

I have been offered another temporary post, in an acute busy setting however it is only for 3 months. I feel it will be the stepping stone I need to progress my career into an area that I would be passionate about. But there is a huge financial risk if the contract doesn't get extended.

I am renting with a sister and have savings which I can rely on if that happens. I have no children or no mortgage. I just cleared my car loan in July. With all of these factors, I just can't seem to look at the bigger picture. I am a good candidate for permanency in my current role, but it isn't what I want long term. I need to make a decision today. Any advice would be appreciated...

I worse that can happened in that you take the new role and are unemployed in 3 months when the contract ends.

If this happens, do you think you can get another role before your savings are gone, if this is an acceptable risk, go for it. Is there a lot of vacancies in your chosen sector?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Hello all,

Don't make the mistake of staying in a role you don't like because you fear what might happen if you except a role you want. People have done that and absolutely regret the decision in the long term. Your Young have no real ties (Mortgage/Kids) build the career you want now before you can't afford to later.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So, the choice is doing a job you hate for another 6 months as opposed to a a job you may like for three.

I'd do the 3 month job, and perhaps you may get more work from it. Better for your mental health if the current job is stressful, especially as you don't like it.

Advertisement