Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas 2017- Switch Bundles?

• 19-09-2017 10:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hi

I (Santa) am thinking of buying a Nintendo Switch for the three kids for Christmas. I can see Smyths are offering an Odyssey package on pre-order at the mo. I also like the look of Mario Kart.

Does anyone know if there is likely to be any other bundles appearing for Christmas? In particular anything Pokemon related?

Are Switches still hard to get at the mo? I'm just wondering if I need to buy one this early?

Finally, what kind of extras, if any, will I need to get?

Thanks a mill :-)
    Pix

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It would be prudent to watch Argos and Smyth's, as they will almost certainly have both official bundles, like the one you mention, as well as deals for the system and a game and/or accessories.
    be smart though, and see what the bundle contains and if it's worth it.

So, be watching for a Switch Mario Odyssey bundle with Zelda BotW, to come in for around €400/€410 all in, that would represent quite a good saving, I'd avoid accessories like cases or covers as they just bulk out deals and make them seem better than they are.

An extra set of controllers is possible but they are expensive and non-essential, as the console already has multiplayer baked in.

A dedicated Pokemon title is on the way but it'll be next year at the earliest.

But I would expect official bundles of Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey and perhaps Mario Kart 8 Deluxe to be out there.

Use pricespy.ie as a general guide.

I wouldn't wait too long to buy one either, as the Switch is almost certainly going to be very hard to find come November.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I would buy sooner rather than later. Supply has been slow on consoles and I can definitely see the Switch being this years must have toy.
    If I was getting one for someone I wouldn't leave it any later than end of October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Kids? Get a screen protector.

Get a case if you plan to carry it out and about. If you're going to use it on long journeys or holidays or trips to Nana's, get yourself a Powerbank, 10-20K mAh with an output of 2.4A minimum and/or a USB charger with a similar output. And a USB A->C cable of decent quality.

How old, and what gender are the kids?
    I have 3 girls, 4,6,8. I'm terrible at coming up with names. Badum-tish! Anyway they love Overcooked - a 1-4 player game about working in a kitchen to prepare meals while the environment works against you. Basically it's an excuse to shout at eachother "Where's my potato???" "Stop pushing me!" "That was my onion!" "It's gonna burn it's gonna burn it's gonna burn! FIIIIIRRRREEEE! DADDY!!!"
    My wife hates it 'cause it always ends in a fight. But it's not about the end, it's the journey.
    Also, Mariokart on the Switch is great - it has steering and acceleration assist to stop the younger ones going off the track so they can join in the fun without getting fed up of being stuck to a wall for 5 minutes.

SnipperClips is another one they love, but there's a Demo and mine have never made it to the end without turning on eachother.

Minecraft is about 15 quid on the South African eShop. It's great for kids and soon it'll be compatible with the mobile phone version and XBox version.

For 3-4 players, you will need more than the controllers that ship in the box. Either another Joycon Pair - €80! - or a couple of 3rd party wired controllers, maybe an 8BitDo bluetooth controller. Honestly though, if you invest in the Joycon pair and a grip you have 2 full controllers, 4 mini controllers and you can play motion controlled games like Arms 2 player local which is hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

Thanks a mill!

The children are two boys, 6 & 7 and a 10 year old girl. Overcooked looks great!

I think a Mario Kart package would be ideal, does anyone know when all the packages are usually out by?

I'm thinking a console/deal, 2 extra joy cons, 2 holders, & some type of case/screen protector.
    Would 2 wheels be worth it?

:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

I would buy sooner rather than later. Supply has been slow on consoles and I can definitely see the Switch being this years must have toy.
    If I was getting one for someone I wouldn't leave it any later than end of October.

I just bought mine from tesco direct for my daughters christmas present who just had a £25 off offer so I got the console for £255 (€283) and then got breath of the wild and a zelda carry case for €63 in total from Amazon with there £5 off offer. The deals will be there you just need to keep an eye on places like boards.ie bargain alerts and HUKD.com and agreed with the previous posters stock could be very limited closer to Christmas so maybe don't delay too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Your wish is my command. ;)

There's a new Super Mario Odyssey Switch bundle.

Nintendo Switch & Super Mario Odyssey Limited Edition
    162972.jpg

https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/video-games-and-tablets/nintendo-switch/nintendo-switch-consoles/nintendo-switch-and-super-mario-odyssey-limited-edition-bundle/p/162972

sligeach wrote: »
    Your wish is my command. ;)

There's a new Super Mario Odyssey Switch bundle.

Nintendo Switch & Super Mario Odyssey Limited Edition
    162972.jpg

https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/video-games-and-tablets/nintendo-switch/nintendo-switch-consoles/nintendo-switch-and-super-mario-odyssey-limited-edition-bundle/p/162972

Way overpriced bundle, you can get the physical copy of the game and the standalone console for about €366 separately from Amazon, of if you buy from smyths uk the mario bundle is only £319 which again work out at about €360 a good €25 cheaper then the Irish site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Ya, like the Splatoon 2 bundle it's overpriced and a poxy download code. And yes you're better off buying the Switch and SMO separately.

Edit: Here's the Irish link.

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/nintendo-switch/nintendo-switch-consoles/nintendo-switch-and-super-mario-odyssey-limited-edition-bundle/p/162972

€385. :rolleyes:

Thanks again :-)

I contacted Smyths to see if there would be a Mario Kart type bundle but received a confusing answer which said check nearer the release time..?? But didn't say if there was anymore bundles being released or what they might be..

I'll hang on another week or so, I'm not sure when the bundles normally appear for Christmas.

In the meantime, thanks for the options of checking other sites and games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Argos have wired pro controllers and Pokken is due very soon for switch, it's a Pokemon beat em up, as a few have said get this asap nintendo stuff doesn't tend to be on the shop shelves come October the bundles are definitely overpriced but the red joycons are rather nice.

• Advertisement

Well my Tesco order is see delayed because they ran out of stock was supposed to be delivered yesterday, just highlights to get ur switch asap if it's for Christmas.

Yeah, it's a tough one, to know when to buy. As Robbingbandit said, the red joycons are nice.

Does anyone know if Odyssey is meant to be better than Mario Kart generally? I was thinking With Mario Kart it might be better for group play...

By the way, hope you get your Tesco order sorted Lord Spence.

Pixied wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a tough one, to know when to buy. As Robbingbandit said, the red joycons are nice.

Does anyone know if Odyssey is meant to be better than Mario Kart generally? I was thinking With Mario Kart it might be better for group play...

By the way, hope you get your Tesco order sorted Lord Spence.

Mario kart I would imagine will be a good social game with family around, oddessy will be a great pick up and play solo experience. Both good but different games I would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭webpal

Some of these bundles on Amazon uk won't post to Ireland, anyone know if you can use parcel motel? And if so what would the story with warranty be?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

webpal wrote: »
    Some of these bundles on Amazon uk won't post to Ireland, anyone know if you can use parcel motel? And if so what would the story with warranty be?

Yes you can use parcel motel. Warranty is the same, still in the EU (for now)

So when do you think we will start seeing the Christmas bundles? Hopefully that Mario one isnt the only official bundle for Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

So when do you think we will start seeing the Christmas bundles? Hopefully that Mario one isnt the only official bundle for Christmas

I wouldn't get your hopes up. Indications are the Switch will sell out over the holiday season so there's no pressure on retailers to offer better value.

manual_man wrote: »
    I wouldn't get your hopes up. Indications are the Switch will sell out over the holiday season so there's no pressure on retailers to offer better value.

I was hoping for maybe a Skyrim or Doom bundle, Very dissapointed with the Mario special edition very lazy effort from Nintendo, Plus it doesn't help that I hate the colour Red being an Everton fan and all :D

I was hoping for maybe a Skyrim or Doom bundle, Very dissapointed with the Mario special edition very lazy effort from Nintendo, Plus it doesn't help that I hate the colour Red being an Everton fan and all :D

Liverpool fan here so i'm not adverse to it :D i'm sure there'll be some new bundles offered alright, but just that the savings will be minimal. Just getting your hands on a Switch will be the achievement

Liverpool fan here so i'm not adverse to it :D i'm sure there'll be some new bundles offered alright, but just that the savings will be minimal. Just getting your hands on a Switch will be the achievement

Oh for a Royal Blue switch :-)

• Advertisement

Oh for a Royal Blue switch :-)

Wait a few months and they might call it "The Championship" edition

:pac::D

Wait a few months and they might call it "The Championship" edition

:pac::D

:D I ain't biting!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/10-off-50

Does this current smyths offer apply to Switches

Glebee wrote: »
    https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/10-off-50

Does this current smyths offer apply to Switches

excludes videogames and consoles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

excludes videogames and consoles

Should have read terms and conditions I suppose. Ive talked the young lad out of Switch eitherway. He can wait till his birthday middle of next year.
    I know that if he get the Switch all he will want to play is Roblox for free on PC

Thanks for all the replies and help.

I've preordered the Mario Oydessy package! Some wheels, spare pair of splatoon controllers and a case. Also I got Splatoon 2 (hard copy) for €43 on Amazon.fr using a free prime trial.

I may buy Fifa 18 on download, as the boys tend to lose things.

Should I buy a micro SD card and place it into the machine from the beginning before I download any games? I read somewhere it was better to do that??

Any ideas?

Advertisement