Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

.22lr Rifle Recommendations

• 19-09-2017 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi,
    Looking at getting a .22lr for mainly vermin hunting but have recently joined a range so will use it there too. Just wondering would anyone have any recommendations on different makes as I don't know much about .22lrs? Not looking to break the bank but would consider 2nd hand also.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

RKMG wrote: »
    Hi,
    Looking at getting a .22lr for mainly vermin hunting but have recently joined a range so will use it there too. Just wondering would anyone have any recommendations on different makes as I don't know much about .22lrs? Not looking to break the bank but would consider 2nd hand also.

CZ455 16" heavy varmint barrel. More accurate and consistent than I'll ever be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Hi,

If you want a good reasonably priced rifle go for a CZ in either 452/455 A very accurate and good work horse with plenty available second hand.

The ruger 10/22 is a solid little gun but maybe not for someone starting off. I had one for years, accuracy wise you wont beat a bolt action without spending some money.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭RS98

If you're going to be doing small bore gallery shooting, then you need a semi auto,like a 10/22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭sniperman

cz 455 16 ",you wont need anything else,just find the bullet it likes,mine loves winchester subs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Chiparus

CZ 452 or 455, second hand or new.
    Ruger 77/22 heavy barrel is pretty good and the flush 10 round magazine is a plus.( but it can be a bit pricey)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Wadi14

what range have you joined, an what kind of target shooting is normally carried out there ?
    this will steer you in the direction of a rifle for the disciplines they shoot, and match your rifle choice to marry your vermin shooting and target shooting.

As mentioned above if the range is into Gallery shooting , a bold action wont be the gun of choice there it would be a ruger 10/22, if they are into say prone 50m then def your bolt action , CZ or Anschutz are good choices.

My take on it would be your paying money to be a range member, so I'd buy the rifle to suit the range, and it will still be good for vermin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

What Wadi said is good.

Head to your range, talk to the lads, see what guns they use to shoot and then go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭RKMG

Thanks for all the info, I joined Midlands so I think they cater for most disciplines. I am looking for an all rounder basically though as I don't think I will be getting too serious into target shooting but just something to do for a bit of fun.
    I'll have a look into the CZs, thanks for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Thanks for all the info, I joined Midlands so I think they cater for most disciplines. I am looking for an all rounder basically though as I don't think I will be getting too serious into target shooting but just something to do for a bit of fun.

Midlands have also started to do Gallery Rifle. Take a look at a Ruger 10/22 also. You are very restricted if you try to do Gallery Rifle with a bolt action.

I'm not saying don't get the CZ, I'm just saying take your time and don't rush into buying a rifle. Buy once and buy right.

BattleCorp wrote: »

Midlands have also started to do Gallery Rifle.  Take a look at a Ruger 10/22 also.  You are very restricted if you try to do Gallery Rifle with a bolt action.  

I'm not saying don't get the CZ, I'm just saying take your time and don't rush into buying a rifle.  Buy once and buy right.
    I don't think I will be getting into much competitive shooting but thanks for the info, will research that rifle too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

I don't think I will be getting into much competitive shooting but thanks for the info, will research that rifle too

Give it a year youll be looking for a bigger safe. I started with an air rifle and a shotgun 20+ years ago its a beast that keeps growing.
    I would start with any bolt action within your budget and take it from there. After time spent on the range you will soon know which route you want to go down then stick with or change your rifle accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

Im no expert but will throw few words in:

i wouldn't buy secondhand, i bought cz brno 2e 1983 some time ago it was quite expensive taking it age and price of brand new gun. few bits required changing (extractor and holder in bolt - not very cheap to ship gun parts and not something you find lying around) and it almost ended up as expensive as new one. and it is next to impossible to trade it in at decent price.

If you buy heavy barrel cz455 try it first - they quite heavy and come mostly in thumbhole stock. I have it in 17hmr and finding it too heavy to shot of shoulder after adding quite big scope.

if i to buy it again id go for stainless ruger 10/22 (be careful if you want to shoot from bipod not all stocks take it right away). With my shooting i don't think i would spot difference to CZ. I think it is more fun as semi auto and more suitable for irish weather as stainless.

solarwinds wrote: »

Give it a year youll be looking for a bigger safe. I started with an air rifle and a shotgun 20+ years ago  its a beast that keeps growing.
    I would start with any bolt action within your budget and take it from there. After time spent on the range you will soon know which route you want to go down then stick with or change your rifle accordingly.
    Well I currently have a .308 and a shotgun so the beast is truely well and growing!!! ha :)
    MarcinG wrote: »
    Im no expert but will throw few words in:

i wouldn't buy secondhand, i bought cz brno 2e 1983 some time ago it was quite expensive taking it age and price of brand new gun. few bits required changing (extractor and holder in bolt - not very cheap to ship gun parts and not something you find lying around) and it almost ended up as expensive as new one. and it is next to impossible to trade it in at decent price.

If you buy heavy barrel cz455 try it first - they quite heavy and come mostly in thumbhole stock. I have it in 17hmr and finding it too heavy to shot of shoulder after adding quite big scope.

if i to buy it again id go for stainless ruger 10/22 (be careful if you want to shoot from bipod not all stocks take it right away). With my shooting i don't think i would spot difference to CZ. I think it is more fun as semi auto and more suitable for irish weather as stainless.
    Thanks for that, will certainly look into the ruger too, think the best thing to do is try out a few different models

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

If you want the best value 22LR on the market, then you won't beat a secondhand CZ452 - there's nothing to touch them on quality for the price you pay. They're no Anschutz, but they're a hell of a good rifle for the money. Unlike Marcin, I'd have no reservations about buying a 2nd hand 22LR (in fact, I've never bought anything but!).

Unless you specifically want a semi-auto, I wouldn't bother with the 10/22 - if you're not going to tinker with it and dress it up, then in stock form it's only going to frustrate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

You wont go wrong with a s/h .22
    A good quality bolt action can be had for little money. I know 10/22 are extremely popular but personally I dont see the point in buying a rifle then go about changing every single part of the rifle except the serial no. Starting out a good s/h bolt will see you through.
    I have a ww2 rimfire still shooting great and one a bit newer.
    Down the road see how you get on and which discipline you fancy getting involved in.
    I find the most important thing is just enjoy it regardless of what you use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭Hack12

Bolt action CZ 452/455 or Semi-Auto Ruger 10/22.

Advertisement