Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Close pass videos wanted for Ross

Options
  • 19-09-2017 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

Mods, if this is already a separate thread, please merge; searched for one and couldn't find it.

Apologies if this was posted here already.

Stayin' Alive at 1.5 are updating their close pass videos with a view to presenting them to Shane Ross. If you have some suitable footage, could you send it to stayinaliveat1.5@gmail.com?

Their Facebook page is at https://www.facebook.com/stayinaliveat1.5/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

just sent one in there to them - thankfully it's a very rare occurrence round these parts, but the more they have the stronger their case when talking to the minister.

@Mods, can you maybe just delete this if it should be for the Near Misses thread instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

andy69 wrote: »
    just sent one in there to them - thankfully it's a very rare occurrence round these parts, but the more they have the stronger their case when talking to the minister.

@Mods, can you maybe just delete this if it should be for the Near Misses thread instead?

That video mightn't be a good example, it looks like it's further than 1.5m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

It's hard to 'see' the close pass because you're unconsciously imagining a car around you.

ted1 wrote: »

it sure felt close! point taken though...might be that we're spoiled here by comparison to city riding - maybe that's nothing to hardened urban riders :o

Chuchote wrote: »
    It's hard to 'see' the close pass because you're unconsciously imagining a car around you.
    I'm looking at the width of the road and the driver crosses the white line . Also the shadows like like a 1;1 representation of the heights. A cyclists with helmets is about 6ft and it crosses his shoulder which implies 4.5 ft of space

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »

it sure felt close! point taken though...might be that we're spoiled here by comparison to city riding - maybe that's nothing to hardened urban riders :o
    You are Spoilt in the countryside, in the city if you can't feel the exhaust fumes on your ankles then it's not close ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Should be stressed that allot of the GoPros have wide angle lenses and so the passes seem further away than they actually are.

Some kind of correctional filter could be applied but that would be a butt ache to do and would require something like Adobe After Effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

papu wrote: »
    Should be stressed that allot of the GoPros have wide angle lenses and so the passes seem further away than they actually are.

Some kind of correctional filter could be applied but that would be a butt ache to do and would require something like Adobe After Effects.

Alanstrainor's passes need none of this! It's very clear those are within an arms length.

flatface wrote: »
    Alanstrainor's passes need none of this! It's very clear those are within an arms length.

Baby finger length!

• Advertisement

Sent what I have on

:eek: :eek: :eek: holy sh!t

:eek: :eek: :eek: holy sh!t

And that's only what I've bothered to edit together and upload. Unfortunately there's lots more. Some might remember the middle video from posting in the close pass thread, this one was reported to the Gardai and handled by them. Others were not. And apologies to the mods if we're kind of duplicating topics here, but it seems like a good idea to make people aware of the request for footage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

On the theme ..saw a cyclist on the canal at mespil rd with a 1.5 m clearance shirt. With the usual blurb.
    Risked knocking him down ( and points) if I had gotten a photo!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

When I was out with McNally Swords a few months ago. I have the front camera video on my phone. I’ll check for rear footage tomorrow on the computer. The guy was drinking a coffee from a paper cup in his left hand at the time and had his right elbow on the window ledge thingie.

I’ll be sending it in to Phil from Stayin Alive.

https://splice.gopro.com/v?id=6YZz2G

Sorry but I don’t know how to embed the video.

ETA video was taken on SJCAM M10.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

When I was out with McNally Swords a few months ago. I have the front camera video on my phone. I’ll check for rear footage tomorrow on the computer. The guy was drinking a coffee from a paper cup in his left hand at the time and had his right elbow on the window ledge thingie.

At the risk of getting slaughtered on here it looks like your way out of position in the bunch. The driver still shouldnt have done that move but you Kind of invited that to happen...

detones wrote: »
    At the risk of getting slaughtered on here it looks like your way out of position in the bunch. The driver still shouldnt have done that move but you Kind of invited that to happen...

Seriously??? I’m not sure how anyone invites a close pass on a solid white line. Saying they do is likening it to a girl wearing a shirt skirt!

If you are referring to my position as in the gap in front of me...well I was chatting to the guy beside me and there was an odd number in the group. Not everyone rides in a pro peloton and this was a sportive. I was at the back at the time if I recall correctly. But why am I even explaining to someone who blames victims?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Seriously??? I’m not sure how anyone invites a close pass on a solid white line. Saying they do is likening it to a girl wearing a shirt skirt!

If you are referring to my position as in the gap in front of me...well I was chatting to the guy beside me and there was an odd number in the group. Not everyone rides in a pro peloton and this was a sportive. I was at the back at the time if I recall correctly. But why am I even explaining to someone who blames victims?

Get over yourself. Victim how? To be a victim something has to have happened to you. Nothing did. You said said you were out with McNally Swords. I assumed you meant on a group spin not a sportive where I appriciate cycling etiquette can be out the window. I do not by any means condone the drivers behaviour but we do as cyclist have to do all we can to defend ourselves.

Get over yourself. Victim how? To be a victim something has to have happened to you. Nothing did. You said said you were out with McNally Swords. I assumed you meant on a group spin not a sportive where I appriciate cycling etiquette can be out the window. I do not by any means condone the drivers behaviour but we do as cyclist have to do all we can to defend ourselves.

Maybe you missed the whole point of the Stayin’ Alive at 1.5 campaign? I.e. to make close passses illegal in order to save lives. As you can see from the video, something did happen. A car came within a few centimetres of knocking me off the bike. That constitutes a close pass.

As for defending myself...I was defending myself by cycling out a little closer to the white line to prevent idiots like the guy in the car trying to squeeze by.

I'm sure there were marshals if that was a sportive warning and letting them know there were riders on the road etc.???

For those who see nothing wrong what those cars did, it was akin to over taking a truck or bus on a continuous white only in the event of a collision the driver has a lovely soft option to avoid a head on collision instead of 50+ tonnes of truck or bus to their left, no one swerves right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

He's following the wheel of the guy next up quite clearly as far as I can see.(odd number explains the gap)
    It's total impatience by the driver putting a load of cyclists at risk like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Sent what I have on:

I can't get over these - they're incredibly close!

I have a recurring debate with myself over getting a cam for the bike. On the one hand I think it's giving in to a culture of fear, but on the other I've been in a situation where the Garda took statements from two parties and told me "it's your word against his, there's nothing I can do". I'm also slightly afraid I may turn into an even more cantankerous and boring old sod if I have footage.

This morning I witnessed a dumper truck turn left from Dorset St onto Whitworth Rd while the filter for the truck was red, the green man was showing, and there were pedestrians crossing. At no point did he think, 'oh I've jumped the gun on the wrong green light, I should stop here before I do any damage'. Nope, just continued on with pedestrians potentially in his blind spot.

I can completely see where you're coming from. I got my first bike camera before they were really a thing, and I didn't see youtube videos on here at all. I got it after a collision with the Gardai which almost went to court. And honestly, after the first while of having a camera you stop really noticing it. Maybe you'll be extra cantankerous in the beginning as you mess around with your new toy, but it doesn't last. Life's too short to be angry all the time. I know I'm a bit extreme having 2 cameras, but I did find it necessary for situations like I've posted.

I didn't think the videos I posted would get the reaction they did!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,083 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

ted1 wrote:

I agree
    I'm a motorist not a cyclist and I don't doubt when the poster says it's a close pass but to my inexperienced eye it looks like regular pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,083 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Sent what I have on:

Wow I thought you were going to be hit in the first one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I always thought the 1.5 was a bad idea.
    How can anyone measure that distance or prosecute based on it.

It would be much more simple if cars were permitted to only overtake on the opposite side of the road. Then a camera can clearly indicate if they are overtaking legally or not.

Saying all that it is not easy for cars to overtake when you have a group strung out along the road with big gaps between cyclists.

It would be much more simple if cars were permitted to only overtake on the opposite side of the road. Then a camera can clearly indicate if they are overtaking legally or not.

Saying all that it is not easy for cars to overtake when you have a group strung out along the road with big gaps between cyclists.

1.5 metres is easy enough to measure. It's five feet, and the average car is six feet wide. So if drivers leave a car's width of space they're well within the guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

well then its just the same as if it was other slow moving traffic , they are supposed to wait till its safe to overtake . Drivers have to drop the attitude '' its only a cyclist i can squeeze past and if i meet something i can swerve left and f..k that clown on the bike , he wont do me much harm''

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

1.5 metres is easy enough to measure. It's five feet, and the average car is six feet wide. So if drivers leave a car's width of space they're well within the guidelines.

But you can't prosecute on that basis.
    Simple measure would be only overtake on opposite lane when safe to do so due to vulnerability of cyclist (or pedestrian even).

Putting speed vans out on common cyclist commuter routes and prosecute on it would change attitudes.

With the 1.5 rule you can never do that.

Granted many country roads don't make it possible but it would be a step in the right direction.

The West Midlands police force in England have cut cycling injuries by policing close passes; am I wrong in thinking that they too are policing on the basis of 1.5 metres?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Mods, if this is already a separate thread, please merge; searched for one and couldn't find it.

Apologies if this was posted here already.

Stayin' Alive at 1.5 are updating their close pass videos with a view to presenting them to Shane Ross. If you have some suitable footage, could you send it to stayinaliveat1.5@gmail.com?

Their Facebook page is at https://www.facebook.com/stayinaliveat1.5/

Mod Hat On: There is a very a active near misses thread already here

I think that the campaign is deserving of some extra highlighting so this thread can in itself serve to highlight that and discussion on the 1.5 metres etc, even though there are old threads on it. However, as some videos are already being duplicated, keep the videos for the near misses thread please.

Mod hat off: It's not and shouldn't be about prosecution. It's about altering behaviour to make people try and overtake safely and make the roads safer for everyone.

Advertisement