Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving a 10yr old home alone?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Yes you know your Child and so you do whatever you think is best and that's the beauty of it, you decide not the state.

Perhaps teaching her to be a little more independent and detach from the Apron strings a little wouldn't go astray lol.

Independence isn't just built by being left alone in a house though. Its not a case that being left alone equals independence, and not leaving them alone means they're wrapped in cotton wool, there is a balance and it's up to the individual parents to strike that balance.

Nothing to do with the state yes which I made a point is a great thing in a society where the state dictates so much or what we do or don't do can and can't do.

neonsofa wrote: »
    Independence isn't just built by being left alone in a house though. Its not a case that being left alone equals independence, and not leaving them alone means they're wrapped in cotton wool, there is a balance and it's up to the individual parents to strike that balance.

"Perhaps teaching her to be a little more independent and detach from the Apron strings a little wouldn't go astray lol."

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Sausage dog

How does your nephew feel about going into an empty house? Is he apprehensive or is he fine with it? Does he know who to call for help if he needs it? Is he safety aware? Would he answer the door to a stranger while alone in the house? These are more important questions than any legislation. Some children are able for the responsibility at that age while others are not. Can he talk to you or to his parents if he is anxious about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

"Perhaps teaching her to be a little more independent and detach from the Apron strings a little wouldn't go astray lol."

Right....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

For an hour or two, don't see the issue tbh. At that age I walked to and from school on my own, would have gone to training and extracurricular activities without a chaperone. There would be plenty of time in the day where I was left to my own devices for an hour at a time and trusted to get where I was going with no oversight.

An hour or two at home, the kid will watch TV and maybe make himself a bowl of cereal. No biggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

When on of mine was 11 she walked home from school and was by her self for an hour or two some afternoons I was always uneasy about. It was mostly because of the walking home to an empty house not because of a safety issues in the house she was well able to look after herself in that sense.

A ten year old should be able to be by themselves for an hour they are being droped to the door.

I would think it was odd if an 11 year old could not cook a simple meal be able to organise themselves or could not be trusted to stay in the house by themselves for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Depends on the kid really. If they're mature enough, I don't think it's an issue.

My eldest son is 9 and has always been pretty sensible for his age. These days, if I occasionally need to pop out to the shop (usually 10-20 minutes max), I'd leave him in the house alone if he doesn't want to come.

My parents often left us in the house at that age when going to the shops or whatever.

He really wants to be allowed to walk to the local shops (about 15 minutes walk each way) by himself and I'll probably let him when he's 10 although I was doing stuff like that from 8 or 9.

I'm as bad as anybody for being more or a worrier than my parents were, but I've tried to force myself not to mollycoddle my kids because of These Days fears. Are abductions, burglaries and household disasters really so relatively off the scale since we were kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

I would assume that being his Aunt that you have a pretty good idea whether he's capable of being left alone or not and if not then I'd have a word with the Parents. But other than that I wouldn't make a big deal out of it.

He's a sensible enough boy.

Is it legal?.... I think the answer is... yes as long as nothing bad happens. If it does then you can be done for neglect.. going by the below article.

If the parents are entrusting the child to the OP then the OP becomes the defacto parent (loco parentis!) . So I think the OP carries the can if serious neglect happens.

This is a worry for me, secondary obviously to the well being of my nephew.

I was 12 babysitting a 7 year old.

I was babysitting up to 7 younger kids at that age too. I had no choice and I didn't like it but my parents didn't care. They got to go out.
    neonsofa wrote:
    When my little one was 10 I would have happily left her to her own devices for a couple hours doing jobs or playing or whatever else and not gone near her apart from to get her snacks etc., but if I had left her alone in the house while I went out I'd have felt off about it. Not because she wasn't able to be alone per se, but because if anything did go wrong she would have panicked if I wasn't there.

Same as that, I might not see my 9 yr old for 2 hours but I can hear him pottering around and he knows I am there.

Too mean to pay a childminder for after school care?

They don't need to, I'll happily bring him to my house. I've said this loads of times.
    I wouldn't mind a 10-year-old on their own occasionally, but I wouldn't be doing it routinely at regular times. I'd be worried about who else would get to know that the child is going to be on their own.

It's the same days and times every week. Sometimes one of them will b home half an hour later.

How does your nephew feel about going into an empty house? Is he apprehensive or is he fine with it? Does he know who to call for help if he needs it? Is he safety aware? Would he answer the door to a stranger while alone in the house? These are more important questions than any legislation. Some children are able for the responsibility at that age while others are not. Can he talk to you or to his parents if he is anxious about it?

Apparently he loves it. He can call me. I'd be there in 2 mins. He wouldn't even answer the door to his Dad one day, don't know if that was laziness tho!

mariaalice wrote:
    A ten year old should be able to be by themselves for an hour they are being droped to the door.

I drop him to the door but can't really leave my own younger kids alone in the car checking their house.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Kayshee123

Personally I think 10 is a little bit young to be left on his own. If he was with someone else perhaps an older sibling or cousin it would be ok but on his own I wouldn't be comfortable with.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Maybe I'm too soft but I wouldn't have liked coming home to an empty cold house every day. Once in a while is grand (and sometimes to be relished for the rare peace and quiet!), but it's nice to come home to your family members and chat about your day. I'd feel it for a 10yo coming home on his own every day.

It depends on the kid and the circumstances though in terms of safety and competence. I think I might think it's ok do it once in a while in extreme circumstances, but not every day until he was a bit older.

myshirt wrote: »
    To think, I was 7 years old when I was given my own key and walked the 20 minute walk home from school, made my dinner, lit the fire, and didn't think anything of it

No way would I allow my child in to do this in this day and age, times have undoubtedly changed.

I realise it is difficult for parents, but you have to make it work and it usually involves putting your hand in your pocket. The kid needs to be a minimum of 14 in my view before you would permit them to be there by themselves for a bit.

People say times have changed, but have they?

Have the chances of something happening to children significantly changed or has our perception of something happening changed?

I'm not singling anybody out, just wondering is there proof of the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I'd have been in the "10 year olds should be old enough" camp until the house two doors up had a break in at 3.30pm. (One of a series of break-ins in recent months). The thieves thought the house was empty as the family car had just left. But it wasn't and one of the inhabitants got the fright of their lives when 3 men in balaclavas tried to come in the kitchen window.
    So no I don't think my 10 year old would ever sleep soundly in the house again if that ever happened him. Whilst he's a very smart clued-in young lad I don't think it's fair on him to give him this responsibility. In fact I don't think it's fair on any 10/11 year old.

Call me Al wrote: »
    I'd have been in the "10 year olds should be old enough" camp until the house two doors up had a break in at 3.30pm. (One of a series of break-ins in recent months). The thieves thought the house was empty as the family car had just left. But it wasn't and one of the inhabitants got the fright of their lives when 3 men in balaclavas tried to come in the kitchen window.
    So no I don't think my 10 year old would ever sleep soundly in the house again if that ever happened him. Whilst he's a very smart clued-in young lad I don't think it's fair on him to give him this responsibility. In fact I don't think it's fair on any 10/11 year old.

While that's a horrible thing to happen, you'd imagine it's pretty rare.

Plus it'd be pretty traumatic for an older kid too or indeed somebody of any age.

Basically, at what stage, do we put off letting our kids assume responsibility and do pretty safe stuff because of the statistically nominal possibility of something happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Hush now, baby, baby, don't you cry
    Mama's gonna make all of your nightmares come true
    Mama's gonna put all of her fears into you
    Mama's gonna keep you right here under her wing
    She won't let you fly but she might let you sing
    Mama's gonna keep baby cozy and warm.

The above is the lyrics from a pink floyad song it always stayed with me when I here parents going on about danger all the time to their children.

Aged 13 I babysat a very small baby no one though anything of it, would I think its a good idea today not at all things do change on the other had their has to be a balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

Reminds me that my father walked home from school on his own from Junior Infants onwards. I know he probably had older siblings and neighbours to walk with but my Granny definitely didn't go and collect him. She was too busy with other babies and children.

I do admire the independence and maturity of some children from an early age. I saw a 6th class boy who cycled all over the city to get himself to school and clubs. He was something like the 8th child in the family though.

I think 10 is old enough to do it but given they have the tools in case something goes wrong like emergency numbers and what would they do if a stranger came to the door etc.

I was left alone for the first time when I was 12. I was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ruby31 wrote: »
    what would happen if someone broke into the house? There's been a few burglaries in my estate recently and with no cars outside, it would appear that there was no-one home.

If you're that concerned about people breaking in you might want better security. You could equally ask what would happen if people broke in at night when the family's asleep? If you're going to fear one thing, it would make sense to fear the other. Being an adult doesn't do much good when you're in your pajamas facing armed assailants. It's happened to families in Ireland, though you could (very truthfully) say that it's very uncommon.

Realistically there's not much wrong with a 10 year old being alone for a few hours. Why would it, unless they have some significant learning difficulty?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

It was around my 11th birthday that I started being left on my own to mind my two years younger brother for 1-2 hours after school each day.
    I would walk him home from school and we would get our homework done and do a few chores like clean the fireplace walk the dog etc.
    Now we lived in a nice neighborhood with very friendly neighbors who I could knock into if anything came up.
    I also used to help in my Parents shop from about 7 years of age , so was very comfortable talking to adults .
    Interesting though when my brother was the same age and commitments to sport meant I could not be there to mind him after school my parents did not leave him alone until he was nearly 13.
    So I think it depends on the kid and how well they can deal with a problem .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

nikkibikki wrote: »
    Apparently he loves it. He can call me. I'd be there in 2 mins. He wouldn't even answer the door to his Dad one day, don't know if that was laziness tho!

This would make a big difference in how I'd see the situation - if it's literally true that he can call you for help and you can be there in two minutes then I'd be a lot less worried. It'd be the same if I knew they could just knock on the neighbour's door if there was a problem - realistically is that hugely different from the neighbour babysitting if they are watching tv downstairs while the kid's in their room upstairs with the door closed?

It does still put a burden of responsibility of you though, which is unfair given that it sounds like you'd be happier just to mind him in your home rather than worry about him from a distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭AidanadiA

Well, I grew up in the 80's-90's and we always had either family members, neighbors, babysitters or our au pair minding us. We did have a key which we let ourselves in with but within minutes of getting home, someone would arrive.

I think this had more to do with the fact that my dad worked as a truck driver so was away for weeks at a time and my mam worked until late. So we couldn't be left alone all day long.

I think my sister was 16 when she was given the responsibility of being the one in charge I was about 12-13 at the time, this was when we had an au pair who did evening classes in Dublin. She'd get home about an hour after we got home from school.

My daughter now 17, was only left home alone from 16 for any length of time. But even now she finishes school early on Wednesdays and Fridays so she heads in to meet me in town rather than wait around until 6 pm alone. She doesn't like being at home by herself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I think what I would be concerned about is the routine nature of it. Occasionally leaving a ten-year-old on their own to go out to the shops or something like that should be fine, but it depends on the child too.

I think you can apply this thinking to yourself - things would almost certainly always be fine, but the one time he got scared or hurt, would you feel in part responsible? As you said - it's not fair to put someone in this position.

I'm an adult. I would deem it extremely unfair to put a child in that position. It was put on me albeit as an older child and I didn't want it but as the oldest, I hadn't much choice.

I don't think I would feel responsible as such if something happened him but would I feel guilty, yes.

Ah he's be grand, give him telly or chores and he won't even care ! :-)

As for worrying about something happening, probably MUCH more of a chance god for bid, getting hit by a car the way they plough through estates and back roads !

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I used to be allowed home alone after school for an hour or so at that age. However, this was 20 years ago and times have most definitely changed. I wouldn't be comfortable leaving him home alone, either.

Why are his parents so lax about it?

Curious, what exactly do you think has changed?

The fear of something happening has increased due to 24/7 media coverage etc. But statisticaly there's really very little increase in stuff happening like kidnapping etc.

So what do you fear?

As for worrying about something happening, probably MUCH more of a chance god for bid, getting hit by a car the way they plough through estates and back roads !

I know the chance is miniscule. And I'm a worrier! I'm not at home biting my nails while I know he's there on his own or anything like that. But it's at the back of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Neyite wrote: »
    Maybe I'm too soft but I wouldn't have liked coming home to an empty cold house every day. Once in a while is grand (and sometimes to be relished for the rare peace and quiet!), but it's nice to come home to your family members and chat about your day. I'd feel it for a 10yo coming home on his own every day.

It depends on the kid and the circumstances though in terms of safety and competence. I think I might think it's ok do it once in a while in extreme circumstances, but not every day until he was a bit older.
    I echo this sentiment.
    What food provisions are there for the child coming home?
    Is the home warm?
    I wouldn't like to think of a child using a cooker.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Has the young lad a smartphone? There's an app called Zello, turns your phones into a walkie talkie. Could be used as a fun thing between ye but would be an ongoing communication system. Chit chat what he's doing, and help at homework questions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I think I'm going against the grain here when I'm saying I'd have no problem leaving the 10 y/o at home alone for an hour on a regular base. My mother couldn't afford sending me to a childminder when I was 10, which was in the late 90s, early 00s. I had to go home and was there for 2 - 3 hours with my sister (2 years younger) until she came home. I found it great and didn't mind, I was used to it. Could watch Pokemon and the like in peace.
    Unless I know my kid couldn't handle it at all and would be very unreliable, I'd have no problem with it.
    I personally don't see what exactly has changed so much generally, but each to their own and I wouldn't judge anyone who doesn't share my sentiment.

Worried about leaving a child at home alone ? I'd be more worried about them having the smartphone with unsupervised internet access.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote:
    Has the young lad a smartphone? There's an app called Zello, turns your phones into a walkie talkie. Could be used as a fun thing between ye but would be an ongoing communication system. Chit chat what he's doing, and help at homework questions etc.

No he doesn't have a smartphone. He can use the house phone to ring me if he needs to. He knows he can ring me whenever he wants.

Advertisement