Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wolfenstein: The New Colossus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

My copy from thegamecollection was just dispatched so should have it by Friday

Me too. I wouldn't bet the house I'll get it Friday but there's a chance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Me too. I wouldn't bet the house I'll get it Friday but there's a chance :)

Well I'm using parcel wizard and have usually used parcel motel. It usually takes 2 days to deliver. It should reach Belfast by tomorrow and then delivered to me on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 54,359 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

PC gamers, is this up for preload yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Wolfenstein marketing now being debated on the Donald Trump thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

There are many fine people over on that thread.

..Jesus wept..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

bigphil2 wrote: »
    There are many fine people over on that thread.

..Jesus wept..

Veering a good bit off topic here, but the guy who said it was in poor taste is far, far from 'one of them' and very actively dislikes Trump and the growing neo Nazi movement in the US. But things hit a point where you have to call a spade a spade, and there really are few pieces of media better positioned to do so than Wolfenstein (esp as it's a game about shooting Nazis that has been around since long before Trump or the alt-right, the reboot included). It's also not directly talking about Charlottesville but the overall problem, and Bethesda's offices are in Rockville, Maryland which is less than three hours from Charlottesville (almost a stones throw in US terms).

I'm not saying Trump is Hitler but he's happy to enable big, big fans of Hitler and Nazism (which the 'alt right' is just a rebranding of) in his base which is why I figured the comparison to Charlie Chaplin lampooning Hitler in The Great Dictator was fairly accurate (that movie is from 1940 - long before Hitler fell and incredibly ballsy... also randomly saw it on Sky a few years ago with a hangover, and it's surprisingly still quite funny if you like physical humour).

Anyway, back to shooting Nazis. Lots and lots of Nazis! :D

wwhxOVX.gif

I wasnt talking about the guy giving out about Wolfenstein,i dont agree with him mind.

i had a quick read through the thread..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Oh... right... yep. For real 'entertainment' check out the alt right thread, though a lot of it I think has been cleaned up.

• Advertisement

• Billy86 wrote: »
    Oh... right... yep. For real 'entertainment' check out the alt right thread, though a lot of it I think has been cleaned up.

Send me a link to both threads!

Billy86 wrote: »

i think ill wait till ive a couple of glasses of wine in me friday evening ;)

Will probably just lash the Wolfenstein 2 trailer on there though..

• Anyone know when the Embargo is lifted for the rest of the reviews?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Anyone know when the Embargo is lifted for the rest of the reviews?

Tomorrow I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Aren't review embargos until launch day usually a red flag? Mind you, all the previews are very positive.

Aren't review embargos until launch day usually a red flag? Mind you, all the previews are very positive.

There are reviews out already. Reviewers were given copies early
    Polygon -9/10
    GamesBeat -90/100
    US Gamer -4.5/5

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/wolfenstein-ii-the-new-colossus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

It's actually brilliant marketing.

I'm skeptical that many people are actually really offended by this but I think it's pretty hilarious if they are. You kill monsters in Doom and you kill Nazis in Wolfenstein. Same thing.

Most of the people who are into FPS games like this are going to buy it anyway. I enjoyed The New Order and Doom 2016 so I am definitely getting this.

The biggest, non-gamer, criticism of Doom was always that it's too violent with some fringe elements babbling about "toxic masculinity" or some garbage.

Flip it from "it's a game about killing demons" to "it's a game about killing Nazis" and every pacifistic, anti-gun, Twitter user in the world suddenly can't wait to jump into a male power fantasy where they get to rampage as a gun-toting maniac. :D

They've managed to take folks who were "disgusted" by people cheering extreme violence when the Doom 2016 trailer was revealed and turned them into cheerleaders for a bit of the old ultra-violence with the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

There are reviews out already. Reviewers were given copies early
    Polygon -9/10
    GamesBeat -90/100
    US Gamer -4.5/5

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/wolfenstein-ii-the-new-colossus

Flipping between this and Mario Odyssey is going to make for an extremely weird weekend.

Mario using his MAGA cap to Make The Mushroom Kingdom Great Again before BJ Blazkowicz shows up to kill everyone.

Mario + Rabbids style crossover in the future maybe?

Day one patch on PS4 is 5.417GB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

:cool:
    Headshot wrote: »
    PC gamers, is this up for preload yet?

Preloading on Steam now.

• Advertisement

• GameSpot give it 9/10 :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

**** Naughty Dog, the dialogue in this game is way better. Really snappy script and well acted. Also you are doing yourself a disservice not going for the Fergus timeline :) It's just got that perfect balance between silly and serious that the first game had except maybe more so.

• Retr0gamer wrote: »
    **** Naughty Dog, the dialogue in this game is way better. Really snappy script and well acted. Also you are doing yourself a disservice not going for the Fergus timeline :) It's just got that perfect balance between silly and serious that the first game had except maybe more so.

I can't remember what I chose in the first game. I also can't remember what I chose here. Think it was the guy on the right.

Anyway I'm only about 1-2 hours in but this is fantastic.

Also yes the voice acting, script and subtle digs at modern America is extremely enjoyable.

Dat gunplay doh, such a joy killing Nazis

Also, I'm playing on hard, this game will test you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If it's a loud Scottish guy you made the right choice.

Only thing I miss from the first game is the environmental destruction which seems to be gone.

• Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If it's a loud Scottish guy you made the right choice.

Only thing I miss from the first game is the environmental destruction which seems to be gone.

As in explosions?

No. In the first game you could tear chunks out of the masonry. It's missing in the new engine.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Mein Leben difficulty should be fun, zero deaths and zero saves/checkpoints. :pac:

Same difficulty as death incarnate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Unfortunatly, does not work on ultra wide screen yet :( I'll have to give some time, but for some reason more and more games dont work in UWS where almost everything used to just a few short years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,359 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Skatedude wrote: »
    Unfortunatly, does not work on ultra wide screen yet :( I'll have to give some time, but for some reason more and more games dont work in UWS where almost everything used to just a few short years ago?

it works on 21:9 but there's a trick to get going because the game still has bugs and needs to be patched

Use default 1080p res and change settings to low, save and restart game. Once game is restarted, change aspect to any and 3440x1440 will appear, select that and restart game

• Advertisement

Worked for me in 21 9 out of the box?

Advertisement