Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wolfenstein: The New Colossus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,358 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I suppose it all depends on GPU and OS your using as well but there's been a big steam thread about the issues with res

• Nearly shed a tear for poor Bessie :(

• @Retro

Destructible environments happen alright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Headshot wrote: »
    it works on 21:9 but there's a trick to get going because the game still has bugs and needs to be patched

Use default 1080p res and change settings to low, save and restart game. Once game is restarted, change aspect to any and 3440x1440 will appear, select that and restart game

I can get it work on 5860x1080, but just too badly stretched across the screens, Flawless widescreen fixer worked fin for wolfenstein the new order, hopefully he will bring out a fix for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭farmerwifelet

Im loving it!! Not very far in yet,damn the kiddies midterm. Really like the hatchet!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There's something about the combat that's becoming quite frustrating. There's pretty much no visual or audio feedback if you're taking damage, and the health counter is a bit small, so there's been more than a few times where I've seemingly just fallen dead out of the blue, since I was being hammered down by an unnoticed enemy. And the office/re-inforcements mechanism exacerbates this.

• Spear wrote: »
    There's something about the combat that's becoming quite frustrating. There's pretty much no visual or audio feedback if you're taking damage, and the health counter is a bit small, so there's been more than a few times where I've seemingly just fallen dead out of the blue, since I was being hammered down by an unnoticed enemy. And the office/re-inforcements mechanism exacerbates this.

There is definite audio feedback, you can even hear Terror Billy (haha) breathing heavy even when firing his weapons.
    Are you playing with headset?
    Also, what difficulty level?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    There is definite audio feedback, you can even hear Terror Billy (haha) breathing heavy even when firing his weapons.
    Are you playing with headset?
    Also, what difficulty level?

Headset, on whatever the middle difficulty was. The breathing seems to be swamped by the rest of the audio. I may have a look in the sounds settings then, it may have defaulted a speaker arrangement or the like.

• Spear wrote: »
    Headset, on whatever the middle difficulty was. The breathing seems to be swamped by the rest of the audio. I may have a look in the sounds settings then, it may have defaulted a speaker arrangement or the like.

I found the music way to loud by default.
    Also the voice is set too low by default.
    Turning down music and turning up voice will help.

I found the music way to loud by default.
    Also the voice is set too low by default.
    Turning down music and turning up voice will help.

That could account for it. I've found the music a bit overpowering in a few places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭nerobert

Anyone know the cheapest place to pick this up on PS4? Don't fancy dropping 70 quid on a game that'll probably be on sale by Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

nerobert wrote: »
    Anyone know the cheapest place to pick this up on PS4? Don't fancy dropping 70 quid on a game that'll probably be on sale by Christmas

Thegamecollection is selling it for around €44

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭nerobert

Thegamecollection is selling it for around €44

Lovely thanks

• nerobert wrote: »

It's 54 in smyths

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Just got it for PC for 29 euro on G2A

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    No. In the first game you could tear chunks out of the masonry. It's missing in the new engine.

So at the point I'm at in the game the environments now feature wanton destruction. Bit weird that it didn't really feature at the start of the game?

• Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So at the point I'm at in the game the environments now feature wanton destruction. Bit weird that it didn't really feature at the start of the game?

Yea, had mentioned that once you hit the section it ups the anti.
    I agree, odd that I didn't see any of it prior to that point.
    The courthouse I assume?

I completed this last night, a satisfying ending :)
    In total it took me close to 18 hours including most of the Enigma missions on Hard difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Started yesterday. Found myself thinking how much I hate Frau Engel, like really really hate her. Game must be doing something right if it makes you hate the Nazis more than you did starting out.
    Looks and plays really well

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Wolfenstein 2 update 1.02 patch notes below:
    -Freedom Chronicles Episode Zero
    • Available for pre-order customers and Season Pass holders who redeemed codes
    -Xbox One X Support
    • Supports 4K resolution
    • Dynamic resolution scaling
    -Vault Unlocked!
    • 10 new combat simulations playable from the Main Menu or in Evas Hammer
      (Requires progression to Chapter 2)
    • Leaderboard functionality
      (Compete with your friends for the highest score!)
    -PC Fixes
    • Improved stability on NVIDIA 10-series GPUso Async compute temporarily disabled until driver fix available
    • Forced driver update on driver detect warning message can now be manually bypassed
    • Improved Win 10 stability on supported NVIDIA GPUs when launching at any resolution other than 4K when DPI scaling is set to 175% 4K monitor
    • Improved Win 10 stability on supported NVIDIA GPUs when resolution is changed to 4K while DPI scaling is set to 125% or 150%
    • Fixed “zoomed in brightness menu” issue on 4K monitors (when DPI scaling was set to greater than 100%)
    • Skybox fixes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

So I was planning on picking this up after I've played New Order but I'm after realising New Order is a sequel to Wolfenstein on the PS3 back in 2009. Is this basically a trilogy then with the plot connected in the three games? My understanding up to was that only New Order and New Colossus were connected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Redo91 wrote: »
    So I was planning on picking this up after I've played New Order but I'm after realising New Order is a sequel to Wolfenstein on the PS3 back in 2009. Is this basically a trilogy then with the plot connected in the three games? My understanding up to was that only New Order and New Colossus were connected.

IIRC, there is a character called Caroline in Wolfenstein (2009) who plays an important role in that game. She is also in Wolfenstein: The New Order and The New Colossus. As to how crucial she is to understanding the entire story, I can not say as I haven't played Wolfenstein (2009), but she is in it and BJ recognises her when they meet in New Order.

I wouldn't say it is a sequel, strictly speaking, but there are connections. I reckon MachineGames' Wolfenstein games will be their own trilogy with whatever they come up with next being the final episode.

Here is a useful video on the entire series:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The game likes to crash a lot on my system. The apartment map in Manhattan in particular crashes every time I die or exit the level unless I play in safe mode. Got really annoying last night where I just had to give up. The most ironic thing was I had to wait 20 minutes for a patch to install which fixed nothing.

Falthyron wrote: »
    IIRC, there is a character called Caroline in Wolfenstein (2009) who plays an important role in that game. She is also in Wolfenstein: The New Order and The New Colossus. As to how crucial she is to understanding the entire story, I can not say as I haven't played Wolfenstein (2009), but she is in it and BJ recognises her when they meet in New Order.

I wouldn't say it is a sequel, strictly speaking, but there are connections. I reckon MachineGames' Wolfenstein games will be their own trilogy with whatever they come up with next being the final episode.

Here is a useful video on the entire series:

Thanks for the response. I didn't realise there was different developers involved. I might pick up Wolfenstein (2009) if I can come across it somewhere although it doesn't seem to have reviewed all that well.

Edit: I've had a read on wikipedia and it describes Wolfenstein: New Order as a "soft reboot" and building an "entirely new chronology". I usually hate skipping games in a series but as it appears this is a reboot I might just give that video you posted a watch and jump in at the New Order.

I think this game was rushed out, to be honest. I get the feeling ZeniMax weren't happy with this year's sales and they needed to bring in some additional revenue for their end of year.

When compared to New Order, this game suffers technically. I know the switch to the iDTech 6 Engine might have hampered their ability to optimise (particularly as the maps in New Colossus are very different to DOOM), but it shouldn't have been released in this state. Random crashes, broken scripts, bugs, poor performance on Nvidia cards, and freezes all suggest an under-cooked meal, especially when you consider New Order's relatively flawless release.

Moreover, the game is definitely shorter with new mechanics introduced in an insignificant way. The side-quests may as well not be in the game as they are very short and add very little to the overall game. To me, anyway, this suggests it wasn't fully developed as part of a more significant aspect to the game. Returning to the various sites to take out Ubercommanders stinks of a shortcut to extending the game's life beyond its brief campaign, and the new challenge missions that have been added in the recent patch should have been in the game at launch, much like Wolfenstein: The New Order. While I thoroughly enjoy the cutscenes, they seem overly long and I can't shake the feeling that they are there to fill in gaps that could have been filled with missions.

Don't get me wrong, I have really enjoyed The New Colossus, but I don't think it is 'up there' with The New Order. The dialogue, story-line, and action is top notch, but the game seems light on content, brief in terms of campaign length, and very under-cooked overall. I know there is DLC on the way, but given that they are three separate mini-stories involving other characters, I can't help but feel that they were ideas that got scrapped so as to remain focused on BJ's story. I think the game we have now is about 2/3's of the game MachineGames were intent on making before deadlines and cashflow was brought into the discussion. Ramping up the difficulty and adding additional collectibles were efficient ways to extend the game's short length.

The New Colossus is an excellent game when it works, and would have been an all-time classic had it been finished. Its worth it for those hatchet throws alone! :pac:

8/10

Redo91 wrote: »
    Thanks for the response. I didn't realise there was different developers involved. I might pick up Wolfenstein (2009) if I can come across it somewhere although it doesn't seem to have reviewed all that well.

Edit: I've had a read on wikipedia and it describes Wolfenstein: New Order as a "soft reboot" and building an "entirely new chronology". I usually hate skipping games in a series but as it appears this is a reboot I might just give that video you posted a watch and jump in at the New Order.

On Wolfenstein (2009): the plot thickens. Unfortunately, you can't buy Wolfenstein (2009) any more. It has been removed from all digital distributors, but you might be lucky to find a physical copy on Ebay. The reason for this stems from the rights to the license. Activision (via Raven Software, iirc) had the license to make Wolfenstein (2009), but then ZeniMax Studios bought iD Software and their IP library which included Wolfenstein. Activision's license to sell and distribute Wolfestein (2009) was for five years and I believe sometime in 2014 it was removed from sale. Effectively, it is in videogame limbo. Maybe ZeniMax will do something and re-release it, but with MachineGames' Wolfensteins doing so well, I reckon they will want everyone's focus on those.

Falthyron wrote: »
    On Wolfenstein (2009): the plot thickens. Unfortunately, you can't buy Wolfenstein (2009) any more. It has been removed from all digital distributors, but you might be lucky to find a physical copy on Ebay. The reason for this stems from the rights to the license. Activision (via Raven Software, iirc) had the license to make Wolfenstein (2009), but then ZeniMax Studios bought iD Software and their IP library which included Wolfenstein. Activision's license to sell and distribute Wolfestein (2009) was for five years and I believe sometime in 2014 it was removed from sale. Effectively, it is in videogame limbo. Maybe ZeniMax will do something and re-release it, but with MachineGames' Wolfensteins doing so well, I reckon they will want everyone's focus on those.

Thanks for the info. I was having a quick look on Amazon but only saw one copy for £30 which I thought was a bit steep for such an old game. I guess that price now make sense as it only had one copy listed as available.

Since there doesn't seem to be such a strong link between Wolfenstein (2009) and New Order I'm happy enough to make do with watching a video of the plot of the previous games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

Saruhashi wrote: »
    It's actually brilliant marketing.

They've managed to take folks who were "disgusted" by people cheering extreme violence when the Doom 2016 trailer was revealed and turned them into cheerleaders for a bit of the old ultra-violence with the rest of us.

Haha! Told ya!

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/610273457582944256?lang=en

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/926222397635813376

• Light on content?? It took me 19 Hours to complete
    That's plenty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

Light on content?? It took me 19 Hours to complete
    That's plenty

Same here, approximately. 55 Euro, so approx 3 euros per hour. Probably less than a movie.

The story is just ridiculous though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Saruhashi wrote: »
    Same here, approximately. 55 Euro, so approx 3 euros per hour. Probably less than a movie.

The story is just ridiculous though.

Everything was going fine I thought until
    I got executed
    I could see it coming from a mile off, surely not but yes
    she's chopping my head off
    What happened next I just had to suspend belief, which is some feat considering I'm fighting Nazi mechanical monsters in 1960s USA

Advertisement