Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wolfenstein: The New Colossus

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

This is only £20 on Amazon today for Black Friday.

Bump.

There's so many issues I'm experiencing with Wolfenstein.

The feckin waypoint for the objective. You press it and it doesn't stay for very long. Few seconds. You look around and can't see it and then it vanishes. And you do it again and can't even find it.

And it's incredibly difficult on anything but the first two difficulties, meaning you struggle through the bog standard shooting to get to the much more interesting cutscenes.

I'm just not enjoying it anywhere as much as I enjoyed the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Everything was going fine I thought until
    I got executed
    I could see it coming from a mile off, surely not but yes
    she's chopping my head off
    What happened next I just had to suspend belief, which is some feat considering I'm fighting Nazi mechanical monsters in 1960s USA
    None of it is real (imho), hasn't been since the last game. Besides the ludicrous plot there have been hints along the way that all is not what it seems. Some of the details are getting hazy since it's a while since I played the previous installments but there was one of the female side characters that kept lecturing you on the fragility of consciousness and identity, over and over again, also some oddities from Anya in the way she would react and treat you. In this one a very telling sequence is when Spesh tries to break you out, supposedly your team are in the basement being ambushed. Yet nothing actually happens to them, when you question Anya on it later she brushes it off saying they had a trick up their sleeve, the exact thing Spesh said earlier (and is called out by Blasky in a muttering monologue, fairly big foreshadowing I think).
    I don't know how or when things will shift but the devs are playing a long game with this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Bump.

There's so many issues I'm experiencing with Wolfenstein.

The feckin waypoint for the objective. You press it and it doesn't stay for very long. Few seconds. You look around and can't see it and then it vanishes. And you do it again and can't even find it.

And it's incredibly difficult on anything but the first two difficulties, meaning you struggle through the bog standard shooting to get to the much more interesting cutscenes.

I'm just not enjoying it anywhere as much as I enjoyed the first.

totally agree with this, I much preferred the first game. Not just for the reasons above but the first game just seems better, I prefer the locations, the weapons, menu screens, design choices, weapons, story and gameplay. The New Colossus is a good game but doesn't have the wow factor of the first game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Started this last night. If Bethesda want to make a Wolfenstein where BJ spends the entire game in a wheelchair I can get behind that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Hating this. Having enjoyed the TNO & even TOB, I'm finding this a frustrating slog. Usually play on the hardest difficulty settings, but I've been forced to drop down twice now and I'm still having issues.

The game just doesn't communicate well with the player; whether that's damage taken, enemies location, grenades or basic signposting for the level design. It's just a grind. I must have taken 30 goes to clear one room last night. It's not as if I'm charging in heedlessly either. Each time I'd carefully take out the enemies, letting as many come to me as possible, only to be insta-killed as I crept into a lone feckers gunsights.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think the problem might be going in all guns blazing. Wolf 2 is more a stealth game and played better that way.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think the problem might be going in all guns blazing. Wolf 2 is more a stealth game and played better that way.

The Far Cry 2 defence. Yes the crazy super powered guns thing really plays into that doesn't it. It's basically the new Thief. Seriously, this game needed a good dose of playtesting. There's fundamental issues (outside of the poor level design) that the older games don't have.

Edit: For the record, I always sneak around as much as possible. Part of the TNO greatness was in the ability to go from sneaky to full on gun crazy at the drop of a hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

The Far Cry 2 defence. Yes the crazy super powered guns thing really plays into that doesn't it. It's basically the new Thief. Seriously, this game needed a good dose of playtesting. There's fundamental issues (outside of the poor level design) that the older games don't have.

Edit: For the record, I always sneak around as much as possible. Part of the TNO greatness was in the ability to go from sneaky to full on gun crazy at the drop of a hat.

Its not that going all guns blazing doesnt work, its just that its wildly inconsistent. some areas can be played like doom where you just maul enemy after enemy and are unstoppable, and other times your health and armor gets melted in no time. At least in The New order, if stuff started to escalate, you could go full on rambo and have a blast.

its a problem that could be pretty much solved very simply

1. player feedback - if you're taking damage, the visual indicator is very minimal, more camera flinch and screen shading would go a long way to solving this. God help you if you have vibration turned off on the gamepad as it was the only way I could tell when I was taking damage
    2. Melee Animations - FFS do not let me take damage during these, they dont need to copy doom by giving you health, but they should be able to be used as a temporary breather to decide, right - I'm going tackling those enemies next.

I don't play wolfenstein to be stealthy, I play it to kill motherfudging Nazis. It always has been a run and gun shooter since very first incarnation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭farmerwifelet

got as far as the courtroom - lost the will to keep playing - downloaded new order and enjoying it so much more!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

got as far as the courtroom - lost the will to keep playing - downloaded new order and enjoying it so much more!

New Order is a better game alright. Courtroom was pretty rough but clear it for one of the more ridiculous cut scenes ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I'm on the verge of having to quit this, not out of rage...at least not anymore, but out of necessity.

I'm at the end where you have to meet up with Anya, but first
    you have to somehow beat an onslaught of robots and then two even bigger robots, all this with a never ending supply of soldiers who constantly re-spawn.
    Its ridiculous, the robots and the soldiers at the start I can manage (barely) but they constantly re-spawn making fighting the two huge robots impossible, they constantly flank me, one shot me or blow me up, the accuracy they have is crazy.
    Any tips? can't remember the last time I had to walk away from a game due to not being able to beat a part, normally there's some technique or something but this just seems impossible.

I'm on the verge of having to quit this, not out of rage...at least not anymore, but out of necessity.

I'm at the end where you have to meet up with Anya, but first
    you have to somehow beat an onslaught of robots and then two even bigger robots, all this with a never ending supply of soldiers who constantly re-spawn.
    Its ridiculous, the robots and the soldiers at the start I can manage (barely) but they constantly re-spawn making fighting the two huge robots impossible, they constantly flank me, one shot me or blow me up, the accuracy they have is crazy.
    Any tips? can't remember the last time I had to walk away from a game due to not being able to beat a part, normally there's some technique or something but this just seems impossible.
    There are a few small bunkers with interconnected tunnels you can hide in move around under the big guys. Just keep moving. Pop out and fire a few rounds in, back into the tunnel and out the other side. Rinse and repeat.

This is what im trying but its the soldiers that are the problem, they constantly re-spawn and any time i poke my head out to fire at the big guys they riddle me.

Either that or im flanked by them or they come up behind me and one shot me.

Finally! Just finished it there, went back to a previous save and approached it again with more health, the hit and run technique worked, also switched to my regular assault rifle with armor piercing rounds as id been previously trying with that huge rail gun thing but found it too slow.

Great game overall, really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Finished this a couple of weeks ago, overall it was a nicely polished, enjoyable game.

However, it falls victim to the law of diminishing returns when compared to The New Order. It's more of the same, which is good, but it's just not quite as good in terms of story or level design. Is it just me, or did the steampunk techno-Nazis not seem to be quite as menacing or intimidating an enemy in The New Colossus as they were in TNO?

I still had fun, and the setting for the game was a cool thing to see, but I can do without another Wolfenstein game for a few more years...

Picked this up on launch day for the PS4 but decided then not to play it and waited till I got a new machine so I could play the game on PC. Just finished it today and think that I may be in love, it's everything I want from a shooter and I'm struggling to understand some of the complaints that people have with it. I played it on the hardest difficulty and never felt like the game was unfair or too difficult, sure it's challenging but I want and expect that from a game like this. There's quite a lot of stealth sections here but you can play them how you want, all guns blazing or sneaky stabby. I loved going from messing up a stealth section to dual blasting automatic shotguns and painting the walls red, something incredibly fun about watching a Nazi get cut to pieces in a hail of gore.

Once again the most shocking thing about Wolfenstein is just how good the story is, seriously the writing here is exceptional. They've lovingly crafted an intelligent and adult story that plays things just the right side of ludicrous. Fergus is everything that's great about NPCs in gaming, a fully formed character who is at once tragic and brilliant, in fact the entire supporting cast are fully formed and the voice acting is second to none. I can't remember a shooter other than Wolfenstein where I cared so much about the characters.

Picked this up on launch day for the PS4 but decided then not to play it and waited till I got a new machine so I could play the game on PC. Just finished it today and think that I may be in love, it's everything I want from a shooter and I'm struggling to understand some of the complaints that people have with it. I played it on the hardest difficulty and never felt like the game was unfair or too difficult, sure it's challenging but I want and expect that from a game like this. There's quite a lot of stealth sections here but you can play them how you want, all guns blazing or sneaky stabby. I loved going from messing up a stealth section to dual blasting automatic shotguns and painting the walls red, something incredibly fun about watching a Nazi get cut to pieces in a hail of gore.

Once again the most shocking thing about Wolfenstein is just how good the story is, seriously the writing here is exceptional. They've lovingly crafted an intelligent and adult story that plays things just the right side of ludicrous. Fergus is everything that's great about NPCs in gaming, a fully formed character who is at once tragic and brilliant, in fact the entire supporting cast are fully formed and the voice acting is second to none. I can't remember a shooter other than Wolfenstein where I cared so much about the characters.

Bare in mind, that you've the benefit of playing a version that received a patch at the end of January which addressed a lot the criticism as regards difficulty balancing, damage indicators etc. I still think the level design substandard from a signalling standpoint.

Bare in mind, that you've the benefit of playing a version that received a patch at the end of January which addressed a lot the criticism as regards difficulty balancing, damage indicators etc. I still think the level design substandard from a signalling standpoint.

Been playing since before the patch and even then never found it too difficult, sure it was challenging but there was never a sense that the game was out to get me.

• Advertisement

Been playing since before the patch and even then never found it too difficult, sure it was challenging but there was never a sense that the game was out to get me.

It was the section aboard the sub that frustrated me the most. I remember I'd just picked up the keycard(?) from the stow aways and it kicks off. I must have gone through that section 60 or 70 times and been taken out at a ludicrous rate. I was slicing that pie all sorts of ways, aggressive/super careful tactics, looking for alternative routes but I was just getting insta-killed. Nor was I facing a substantial threat. A limited number of common or garden machine gun totting nazis blessed with super senses were ruining my day.

I'm no spring chicken either; I remember pulling a sickie in primary school to play the original W3D. Found Nightmare (whatever the hardest difficulty is) on Doom to be quite easy. But this pissed me off as it was desperately in need of some balancing.

Edit to say, that I'm aware when I've been bettered in terms of skill e.g. Ninja Gaiden Black absolutely kicked my arse. But, it was my own shortcomings and didn't frustrate me like TNC.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Wrapping this up before the next one is out and just finished the cut scene on Venus with Hitler, thats some funny **** :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Have they got rid of that ridiculous permadeath trophy yet? :rolleyes:

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Wrapping this up before the next one is out and just finished the cut scene on Venus with Hitler, thats some funny **** :D

I'm the same, just finished it recently for the same reason. Not as good as the first and bit hit/miss at times, but that level and the cutscenes was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Steam says 10 hours gameplay, wonder how much of that was wandering around levels not having a notion where to go next.

Only hard part was the last 2 lads on the airship and it took me a few goes to notice there was a walkway underneath them.

Not as good as the 1st.

• When is it out?

Advertisement