Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tonight Show - Virgin Media One

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Dunphy was bang on.

Beneath the facade, all is not well.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,111 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Good loser wrote: »
    Dunphy reckons he speaks for the common man, but I don't think he has a clue. Blather and innumerate waffle.

I was in Dublin a few weeks ago and the place was absolutely flying.

That was the point being made. Dublin and the larger urban areas were recovering but rural Ireland and towns were and are in trouble still. Employment figures are bogus as a lot of it is bad quality employment. The amount of people I know who are working this week and haven't a clue if they will have a job next week is frankly scandalous.
    Basically, the state of the nation is spin and image. The forté of our Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

That was the point being made. Dublin and the larger urban areas were recovering but rural Ireland and towns where and are in trouble still. Employment figures are bogus as a lot of it is bad quality employment. The amount of people I know who are working this week and haven't a clue if they will have a job next week is frankly scandalous.
    Basically, the state of the nation is spin and image. The forté of our Taoiseach.

You'd think "Little Leo" and his spin machine, that cost millions, wouldn't have released a video of him boarding an out of service Luas, and then breaking the Luas rule of not drinking while travelling.

https://twitter.com/merrionstreet/status/939437602729529344

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/taoiseach-s-department-of-spin-will-cost-5-million-in-2018-1.3251242

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Walter E GO

Bernard Durkin another FG gombeen spoofing on tonights show. I wouldn't believe his radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pinkman

Any word on how this is performing in the ratings? I know Vinnie had dipped below 100,000 viewers a night in the last few years.

• Advertisement

Finally, someone speaks the truth about Fionnan. He is an absolute disgrace. The Independent (a misnomer if ever i heard one) is nothing but a gutter rag, at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

They should bring Vinnie back on to surprise Fionnan.

Finally, someone speaks the truth about Fionnan. He is an absolute disgrace. The Independent (a misnomer if ever i heard one) is nothing but a gutter rag, at best.

A journalist who takes a huff is a useless journalist.

^^^^^^^^
    I can just see his face now.

441094.jpg

sligojoek wrote: »
    They should bring Vinnie back on to surprise Fionnan.
    I can just see his face now.....:D
    441094.jpg[/IMG]

• Advertisement

Fionnan's absolute nonsense about there being something wrong with SF's p;oicy evolving was a joy to behold.

Does he not remember FF and FG diametrically opposed to SSM and loads of other stuff, yet he as an 'independent' journalist tried to hang a party for evolving.

I thought Eamon Dunphy made a strong point about The Irish Independent giving regular negative coverage to Sinn Féin.

Perhaps he was saying, by asking Fionnan Sheahan if he knew the names of the people who were killed in the Dublin and Monaghan bombings, that The Irish Independent - rather than giving regular negative coverage to Sinn Féin - would be much better off investigating events like that, where the people who bombed Dublin and Monaghan, were never charged.

This BBC news item below, includes this line:

"Mysteriously, back in 1974, police on both sides of the Irish border ended their investigations into the bombings within just months, with files going missing".

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27399721

The Justice for the Forgotten page includes this detail, regarding the investigations following the bombings:

"The Early Criminal Investigations"

"At a press conference on 18 May given by the Head of the Central Detective Unit, Chief Supt. John Joy, Detective Chief Supt. A. McMahon, Chief Supt. John Sheehan and Chief Supt. Edward Doherty, Chief Supt. Joy said that an identikit picture was being prepared of South Leinster St. suspect. However, no identikit picture, of the South Leinster St. suspect or any other suspect, was ever shown on television or in the newspapers".

"This is despite the fact that it was the customary at that time to show identikit pictures of crime suspects (photofits). (For example, on 10 June 1974, three weeks after the bombings, photofits of two men wanted for the kidnapping of the Earl and Countess of Donoughmore were shown in the Irish Press)".

"The Garda investigation, which initially seemed to be making good progress, more or less ground to a halt within a few weeks of the atrocity. Despite the fact that they had the names of 20 suspects, some on an evidential basis and others from intelligence sources, none of the suspects was ever questioned, let alone charged, with the crime".

http://www.dublinmonaghanbombings.org/home/17may74.html

Here is an article, by Sean Crowe, Sinn Féin TD, about it.

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/dublinmonaghan-bombings-we-need-to-know-extent-of-british-involvement-with-this-loyalist-gang-3557141-Aug2017/

Two items, in The Irish Times, by Simon Carswell, about calls for an inquiry:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/uk-urged-to-release-dublin-and-monaghan-bombing-files-1.3086727

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/dublin-bombing-survivors-living-nightmare-of-1974-blasts-1.3086803?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fireland%2Firish-news%2Fdublin-bombing-survivors-living-nightmare-of-1974-blasts-1.3086803

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

People still happy VB yet? The new show is completely unwatchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭cala

Isn't it strange that those who were afraid to appear and face VB, are regulars on the new tonight show...Joan Burton...as Vincent said she and her party tried to decimate the lives of those that they were pretending to represent..!
    So how do the two new presenters reconcile this with what Vincent's view and with the view of the electorate at the last election, who almost annihilated them.

cala wrote: »
    Isn't it strange that those who were afraid to appear and face VB, are regulars on the new tonight show...Joan Burton...as Vincent said she and her party tried to decimate the lives of those that they were pretending to represent..!
    So how do the two new presenters reconcile this with what Vincent's view and with the view of the electorate at the last election, who almost annihilated them.

I think the way the show is scheduled, with two presenters, and often around 3 or four different topics per show, often means that either presenter doesn't have much time, to question each guest, so there isn't as many opportunities to ask follow up questions, in response to what the interviewee has stated.

There are five guests on tonight's show, so there wouldn't be as much time given, to scutinising what Joan Burton states, as there was during her appearance on the Vincent Browne show, in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭cala

A much easier time than the hardship that she and her party imposed on the electorate, during her time in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think I've seen it all, Dunphy on a panel as a pundit to talk about snow.

You can't get good snow in Dublin anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 19,633 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I hate the music on this.

I don't hate the music, I just hate it on this. It jars.

M

We need some of that global warming now, could we reduce the motor tax on 4 litre cars to €50 a year to warm the place up?

• Advertisement

Ivan Yates, I'd well imagine, when he was an elected representative, named checked parishes, in order to get all the votes possible.

Michael Healy Rae, responded well, to Ivan Yates smart arse-ed-ness, last night.

M

Could they not give out a €1000 grant for everyone to buy Canada Goose jackets?

M

Ten Pin wrote: »
    There goes another fine gaeler promising handouts with money from someone else's pocket

The grey vote is the most reliable and consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do they normally use Skype so heavily?

M

ED E wrote: »
    Do they normally use Skype so heavily?

No, first time I've seen it, think they wanted as little as possible going in to studio to minimise risk.

Terry Prone, oh dear God, why is she given any screen time after the stunt she pulled with the journalist investigating the Tuam babies scandal. Prone is a big part of what is wrong in this Country.

Terry Prone, oh dear God, why is she given any screen time after the stunt she pulled with the journalist investigating the Tuam babies scandal. Prone is a big part of what is wrong in this Country.

Woman sickens me, never any fair warning about political connections with her when she's on TV3 pontificating

I notice Anton knocking about on a few things lately as well.

Cooper and Yates showing the gambling addict no sympathy at the moment. I dont condone what he did but i do honestly think it is an illness. Without letting him off the hook, there is virtually no governance or legislation on gambling advertising which is omnipresent in society today.

• Advertisement

Cooper and Yates showing the gambling addict no sympathy at the moment. I dont condone what he did but i do honestly think it is an illness. Without letting him off the hook, there is virtually no governance or legislation on gambling advertising which is omnipresent in society today.

Have you noticed how the bookmaker companies sponsor many of the sports tournaments, that were previously sponsored by tobacco companies.

The Snooker World Championship is sponsored by Betfred.

http://www.worldsnooker.com/tournaments/betfred-world-championship-2017/

Paddy Power sponsored the basketball game in North Korea in which Dennis Rodman participated, the event to which Matt Cooper travelled.

http://www.thejournal.ie/today-fm-matt-cooper-denis-rodman-north-korea-1250869-Jan2014/

Advertisement