Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Northern Irish comedians / comedies.

• 19-09-2017 8:01pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭

What do people think of humour from North of the border? Frank Carson, though popular divided a lot of people. Give My Head Peace makes Mr's Browns Boys look like a work of comic genius in comparision. Ditto The Fitz, that sitcom from the early 00's where the sole joke was there was this big family and they all had red hair. I like Kevin McAleer and to a lesser extent Colin Murphy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Firstly, there is no border any more and if there is, it's up to the unionists to sort it out re: Brexit :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Getting a nordie to say "how now brown cow" is always guaranteed a laugh anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Jimeoin is someone I find very funny.

Sammy Wilson of the DUP as well although I don't think that's intentional on his part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

There is a distinct difference between comedy in NI and the RoI. I think Jake O' Kane is a good comedian, the best I can think of from N.I.. He has the ability to delve into politics through comedy and aim jibes at both sides of the divide. His flag related skits tend to be very good. Jimeoin can be good from time to time. I don't get all the angst towards 'Give My Head Peace'. I'd take ten years of it over an episode of MBB.

I used to spend a good bit of time in Belfast for work and as a people, the Northern Irish are good fun. They are always open to a joke or two, even at their own expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭md23040

Always thought Gerry Adams was really funny. His denials of being a member of the IRA is probably one of his best sketches. What a clown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dasdog

Nolan Live is hilarious, especially the ticker with texts from viewers on sectarian related matters.

Six posts in and we have DUP and SF terrorist posts. Thought we'd get into double figures before that happened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Berserker wrote: »
    There is a distinct difference between comedy in NI and the RoI. I think Jake O' Kane is a good comedian, the best I can think of from N.I.. He has the ability to delve into politics through comedy and aim jibes at both sides of the divide. His flag related skits tend to be very good. Jimeoin can be good from time to time. I don't get all the angst towards 'Give My Head Peace'. I'd take ten years of it over an episode of MBB.

I used to spend a good bit of time in Belfast for work and as a people, the Northern Irish are good fun. They are always open to a joke or two, even at their own expense.

I dunno about that, I saw a few episodes of GMHP and it'd give MBB a fair crack of the whip in the awfulness stakes and I hate MMB with a passion.

darkdubh wrote: »
    I dunno about that, I saw a few episodes of GMHP and it'd give MBB a fair crack of the whip in the awfulness stakes and I hate MMB with a passion.

It was tacky nonsense full of stereotypes; angry Unionist/nationalist who is in love with Adams etc but that's a lot more than a middle aged women from North Dublin who keeps saying fanny and willy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

How is this not funny ya southie softie bastards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Berserker wrote: »
    There is a distinct difference between comedy in NI and the RoI. I think Jake O' Kane is a good comedian, the best I can think of from N.I.. He has the ability to delve into politics through comedy and aim jibes at both sides of the divide. His flag related skits tend to be very good. .

I like Jake, he's witty enough on twitter as well.

Kevin McAleer was (and probably still is) brilliant. He used to have a slot on RTÉ's Nighthawks for years.

Deadpan humour. Semtex the dog... (the pre-1994 stuff) and "we were all sitting around the tv, half of us watching the back of it... then, she says, 'Turn it on'" (the post 1994 stuff). He has a lovely rich Hiberno-English turn of phrase.

Then there was a group of impersonators in the late 1980s who had a cassette where they had this fantastically imaginary discussion between Adams, Paisley, Hume, Molyneaux, Haughey and Alderdice. Haven't a clue who they were, though, but they were just brilliant.

A Night in November by Marie Jones is still one of the funniest (albeit harrowingly poignant in parts) Irish plays of the past 50 years (about a middle class unionist who ends up going to America for the 1994 World Cup to follow the Republic after NI didn't qualify).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Northern Ireland always makes me laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Remember this great Nordie sitcom?

A Night in November by Marie Jones is still one of the funniest (albeit harrowingly poignant in parts) Irish plays of the past 50 years (about a middle class unionist who ends up going to America for the 1994 World Cup to follow the Republic after NI didn't qualify).

The reverse can be made next year when NI qualify for the WC and the RoI don't. :D Tommy from Finglas joins the Green and White Army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

I remember seeing a few episodes of Pulling Moves and thought it was pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Patrick Kielty wasn't bad, didn't like his style but some of his jokes about growing up during the troubles were true to life and very funny. haven't heard of him in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The famous northern Irish comedian Sammy Wilson made a real asshat out of himself when he told Ali G that joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Who is the dreadlocky music-playing NI comedian? Cannot think of his name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    The famous northern Irish comedian Sammy Wilson made a real asshat out of himself when he told Ali G that joke

You're right, he did ........... but not as much as you did when you used the word "asshat"!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

md23040 wrote: »
    Always thought Gerry Adams was really funny. His denials of being a member of the IRA is probably one of his best sketches. What a clown.

You're so cool ........ :rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Who is the dreadlocky music-playing NI comedian? Cannot think of his name.

Duke Special? He's not a comedian though, you might be mixing him up with Tim Minchin who's Australian and looks very like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Duke Special? He's not a comedian though, you might be mixing him up with Tim Minchin who's Australian and looks very like him.

Yes, thank you, that's it! D'oh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I love our wee norn sense of humour but only the s**te seems to get on the telly.

To really get into our warped, dark comedy you need to read Colin Bateman books. Genius.

I also love Kevin McAleer, Jimeoin, Patrick Kielty and Colin Murphy but the true comedy is the quick wit of the person on the street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Does UTV still have that camp continuity announcer who'd be mugging and doing impressions? He bugged the ****e out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

The Ireland Simpsons Fans page (giving Simpsons moments an Irish twist) on Facebook seems to be dominated by people from the North, and they are some of the funniest, sharpest feckers I've ever encountered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I was in the laughter lounge a few Saturdays back where they had the final of their kind of talent thing they were running through the summer. Four finalists.

The final act of the four was a lad from Belfast and the crowd went wild for him and he won. Can't say I really understand why as he was very mediocre, safe and felt like something I'd seen 100 times before. Some obvious material about being from Belfast etc. Granted when I say mediocre, he was good, all four were excellent, but I didn't really understand how or why he had the crowd foaming.

Then again the main act was introduced as the most requested act, a guy from Ballymun, can't remember his name, who was funny in parts alright, but again I failed to understand how he had the crowd frothing on his every joke.

Granted it's all subjective and your own taste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

The Blizzard of Odd is one of the funniest things Rte has ever produced.

Advertisement