Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pixel 2 & Pixel XL 2 Thread - - - - -

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

3 is usually clogged in my experience.
    Eir is a better deal when you consider their 30GB of SIM only data is actually usuable and fast.

They're on:
    GSM 900 & 1800 MHz - 2G
    UMTS 2100 and 900 MHz - 3G
    LTE 800 and 1800 MHz - 4G (Band 3 & Band 20)

Any of those frequencies missing on the US Pixel ?
    Could also explain any slowness on 3 if you're missing a band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

According to GSMArena, the Pixel 2 XL comes in one global flavour and has all of those bands.

https://www.gsmarena.com/google_pixel_2_xl-8720.php

R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭madmoe

Skedaddle wrote: »
    3 is usually clogged in my experience.
    Eir is a better deal when you consider their 30GB of SIM only data is actually usuable and fast.

They're on:
    GSM 900 & 1800 MHz - 2G
    UMTS 2100 and 900 MHz - 3G
    LTE 800 and 1800 MHz - 4G (Band 3 & Band 20)

Any of those frequencies missing on the US Pixel ?
    Could also explain any slowness on 3 if you're missing a band.

How much is that 30GB SIM only deal per month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

madmoe wrote: »
    How much is that 30GB SIM only deal per month?

€25 Euro for first 6 months, €35 per month after that. 30-day contract
    30GB in Ireland, 9.5GB EU. They cut your data off and send an SMS if you hit 30GB and you can add various temporary bundles if you over-shoot the limit, as I did recently by accidentally syncing a huge dropbox account.
    It includes unlimited calls, texts and some international calls.
    Also, while it's irrelevant with this handset, it does actually have WiFi calling too on iPhones and some of the Samsungs, I'd be curious to see if it works on the Google phones.

Also they don't give a damn whether you use it for handset or tethering. It's all data to them and they zero-rate Youtube and some other stuff (so much for net neutrality!)

I'm on 3 for my business phone and I find the Eir speeds consistently FAR better.

Vodafone's really good too, but they're way too expensive.

Skedaddle wrote: »
    €25 Euro for first 6 months, €35 per month after that. 30-day contract
    30GB in Ireland, 9.5GB EU. They cut your data off and send an SMS if you hit 30GB and you can add various temporary bundles if you over-shoot the limit, as I did recently by accidentally syncing a huge dropbox account.
    It includes unlimited calls, texts and some international calls.
    Also, while it's irrelevant with this handset, it does actually have WiFi calling too on iPhones and some of the Samsungs, I'd be curious to see if it works on the Google phones.

Also they don't give a damn whether you use it for handset or tethering. It's all data to them and they zero-rate Youtube and some other stuff (so much for net neutrality!)

I'm on 3 for my business phone and I find the Eir speeds consistently FAR better.

Vodafone's really good too, but they're way too expensive.

Thanks for that ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

luckily I am eligible (and most people apparently according to the vodafone X thread on Boards) to get the Vodafone X offer and am delighted with it, switched from 3. So much better, at least where I am in Cork. Went from 5 download to about 70. Signal isn't as good by the coast at my holiday home as 3 though only downside.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

Perfect timing subject. I'm coming to the end if my Vodafone contract and moving to.pay as you go. The unlimited data on the pay as you go 20 euro looks good

ldr wrote: »
    Perfect timing subject. I'm coming to the end if my Vodafone contract and moving to.pay as you go. The unlimited data on the pay as you go 20 euro looks good

That's what I am on. I use my phone turned into a hotspot to play Nintendo Switch online as well and rarely have issues.

Cheers,
    M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Very good uk sale price at the moment on this on carphonewarehouse.com. I assume the online prices will be the same in the stores? Im thinking of travelling either north or getting my brother in Glasgow to pick it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Now that these are out a few months how are people getting on? I’m half tempted to switch from an iPhone 6. Are the reported screen issues really that bad? Is the XL screen noticeably poorer than the smaller Pixel 2?

I like the look of the XL but also get a decent discount on Vodafone through work so could get an iPhone X either (which would probably work out roughly the same price over 2 years).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

SachaJ wrote: »
    Now that these are out a few months how are people getting on? I’m half tempted to switch from an iPhone 6. Are the reported screen issues really that bad? Is the XL screen noticeably poorer than the smaller Pixel 2?

I like the look of the XL but also get a decent discount on Vodafone through work so could get an iPhone X either (which would probably work out roughly the same price over 2 years).

I have mine since October, I opted for the smaller one as I'm not a fan of phones that are like tablets tbh, I adore this phone, and I haven't felt like that about a phone since my Nexus 4, I'm still very surprised at the battery life on it, even on my model, usually get a day and a half on mine and I would tend to be a heavy user...

SachaJ wrote: »

i've got the XL, and after the promt replacement of my first one I love it! Camera is steller, the smaller screen bezels i love, the 18:9 aspect ratio is great and makes it a lot easier to hold one handed. I would try to hold a phone of similar size though (S8+ is a good example) to see if you'd be able too, but I have small hands and I cope :)

Thanks, might check out a bigger phone in a shop to see what it's like. I'm only 30 miles from Newry so could take a spin up to CPW. £559 for the 128GB P2 or £629 for the 64GB P2XL.

I like the idea of the bigger phone I have to say for the amount of time I spend looking at it. I'm keen on the camera I have to say and that's the big draw.

At home I use mainly an iPad Pro and a MacBook Air. All the other (kids) tablets are Android as are both Nvidia Shields, Amazon TV boxes (FireOS)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

i've got the XL, and after the promt replacement of my first one I love it!
    Did you order directly from Google?

Thar_Cian wrote: »
    Did you order directly from Google?

Yep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I think for anyone interested in the XL surely with all the screen qc issues buying direct from google is the only way to go. Or walking into a bricks and mortar carphonewarehouse. And even then what are going to be the mechanics of that if you take a drive up north and find screen issues? You want to be making sure before hitting the road and would they swap it there and then or insist on it getting send to google for a repair? After dropping potentially a grand?

There's a guy on adverts selling a sealed xl for 920. Would you have to insist on inspecting it before handing over the cash and breaking the seal on the box? Fairly awkward then if the screen turns out to be a a defective unit.

To many variables and unknowns on the lg xl for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

Agreed. I'd love a 2 XL, but I think I'll have to stay away given the screen issues. It simply shouldn't be an issue with a price tag like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

My dad's looking to switch to a Pixel 2 from an iPhone 6.

The phone has built-in chat support, direct with Google, right? How's that work in Ireland? Does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Yip if you click the phone button in the support menu it brings up a freephone number 1800 710 297.

I used it to get my 6P replaced twice. Quick service.

Lightning fast reply on that one, cheers!

So it's the standard 'by from UK, parcel motel / send back to UK, parcel motel' warranty process?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Serephucus wrote: »
    Lightning fast reply on that one, cheers!

So it's the standard 'by from UK, parcel motel / send back to UK, parcel motel' warranty process?

warranty isn't even send back to PM, when they ask for your address just say Ireland and they will send you a free an post label, and when you go to order your replacement it comes through via the irish google store with the device in euro and shipping to irish address.

Oh sweet! Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Serephucus wrote: »
    The phone has built-in chat support, direct with Google, right? How's that work in Ireland? Does it?

You mean the Google Assistant? The Siri equivalent?

If so, it works the same way.

Edit, due to page loading I see you meant something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭ChewyLuey

For those using the phone, are the size of the bevels as much of a problem as reviews have stated or do you stop noticing them pretty quickly?

Patww79 wrote: »

Cool, thanks

ChewyLuey wrote: »
    For those using the phone, are the size of the bevels as much of a problem as reviews have stated or do you stop noticing them pretty quickly?

They don't bother me whatsoever, love the fact it has front facing speakers and I watch way more videos on it because of that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Re: bezels are you guys referring to the 2 or the 2xl?

2 for me.

I had forgot how good one handed is (ooer). Last time I used one for an extended period was the LG G2.

I went for the 2xl due to the smaller bezels, its probably just too big to be one handed for me. In hindsight I maybe should have gone for the 2. Great phone though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Catmologen wrote: »
    I went for the 2xl due to the smaller bezels, its probably just too big to be one handed for me. In hindsight I maybe should have gone for the 2. Great phone though.

Funny I got the two and always have in the back of my mind, I wonder what the XL would be like to look at. I have no issues with the bezel, and quite frankly find myself picking the phone up/out of my pocket via it and wonder without it what I would be activating/pressing on - I already sometimes find the lock screen notifications have been "pressed".

Idleater wrote: »
    Funny I got the two and always have in the back of my mind, I wonder what the XL would be like to look at. I have no issues with the bezel, and quite frankly find myself picking the phone up/out of my pocket via it and wonder without it what I would be activating/pressing on - I already sometimes find the lock screen notifications have been "pressed".

honestly, the main thing you would notice different is yeah the less bezel but the 18:9 aspect ratio is great. It makes the phone feel so much smaller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Do you think there's a way to buy a Pixel 2 anywhere with one4all.ie vouchers? They don't seem to have any distribution in IE, and while I could buy Amazon.co.uk gift vouchers, Pixel 2 is not sold by Amazon themselves but by some 3rd party merchants I wouldn't necessarily trust. Any ideas on how to access reputable retailers would be most welcome!

Anyone have recommendations for screen protectors for the 2xl?

Catmologen wrote: »
    Anyone have recommendations for screen protectors for the 2xl?

Interested in that myself if I pick up a 2XL. On the iPhone I always used the MediaDevil tempered glass protectors but they don't do them for the Pixels.

I used my Irish CC and no issues at all thankfully.

Just ordered this to cousins house in USA. Had $43 tax added to the $649. Not the end of the world I spose.
    Looking forward to getting it in a couple of weeks when they visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

ChewyLuey wrote: »
    I used my Irish CC and no issues at all thankfully.

Just ordered this to cousins house in USA. Had $43 tax added to the $649. Not the end of the world I spose.
    Looking forward to getting it in a couple of weeks when they visit.
    I just did the same I had $53 tax added for the Pixel 2. Fecking Texas. :D

Yeah, the Feb patch seems to have done a number on battery life. Saw lots of complaints on the pixel reddit. March seems to have improved mine (and others) a bit while not improving some peoples.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

I had great battery live before the February security update. After the update, it was less than stellar. Not bad by any means, but it was really good beforehand, and the difference is noticeable.

Worth pointing out that not everyone is experiencing the problem. But check online, there are quite a few reports.

I reset a couple of times. Rooted the phone, and installed a few root battery monitor apps. Did all the usual suggestions of clearing cache/storage for Google Play Services etc. Couldn't find anything.....

After the initial reports online, Google released a statement saying they were looking into it. But they have since said they can't find any correlation between the Feb security patch, and the battery issues being reported.

I have since un-rooted the phone, and installed the March update. I think it might be slightly better (Its definitely not worse).

I dont have bad battery life now...I can get through the day on regular usage easily. But I feel a bit conned, because I could go almost two days initially without a charge.......and a lot of people online seen still to be getting great longevity, even with a good bit more screen on time.

First world problems are a bitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

FWIW it doesn't seem to be limited to just the second generation Pixels. My Pixel seems to have gone downhill too but the March update installed yesterday so we'll see if that helps.

Been off charge for 7hrs 30 mins and currently have 2hr 55 mins SOT with 56% left, I'm happy with that! Definitely better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ditto, much improved after the March update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Any case suggestions? Just ordered a panda 2 xl, Whitestone dome and a ringke fusion case for the time being.

Looking for something that won't damage the back glass.

Is the google case compatible with the Whitestone dome?

• Advertisement
Advertisement