Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ongoing Problems with the Agent Managing My Tenancy

Options
  • 19-09-2017 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭

Hi all :) my first time posting here, hoping for some advice. (Sorry for long post )
    I'm having a nightmare time. I'm in private rented accommodation and have been in the same property for the last 2 and a half years. The landlord is living abroad and it is being managed via a local estate agent. I have had non stop issues with the letting agent and I've never spoken to the landlord directly.
    Firstly the agent insisted they do inspections every 12 weeks. This continued for a year and my repeated requests for the inspections every 6 months instead fell on deaf ears.
    But lately I have been having a heap of issues with agent.

*when I moved in there was money on a pre pay meter which meant I had no power. Agent said she couldn't make payment. I'd have to sort it. I had to clear the arrears to have power installed as they wouldn't allow me to change the meters.
    *Any requests for repair work takes weeks to be done or even get a reply. I'm just told the landlord doesn't want to spend money.
    * letting agent tried to increase my rent after 16 months , when she found out it couldn't be increased until after the initial 2 years had lapsed the agent called me a liar said I just didn't want to pay and threatened to evict me!
    * made arrangements to increase rent after 2 years , I informed agent I would be away that date I could collect the letter and post it when away to save a delay. Agent said no she would drop it off when I returned.
    * gave me a notice several weeks later , which meant the 90 days wasn't until sept ( this month) * last month agents husband rang me giving out extra money wasn't there. I told him the letter in was provided by his wife said my new rent comes into effect from the 1st of Sept not august as she was late giving me the 90 days notice. He said he would check it and get back to me.. nothing.

And lastly every week I've gotten phone calls or emails from the agents husband sayig if I can't pay I'm out. I have informed them that I have saved enough to cover this month and hopefully my rent increase will be approved. But I'm still getting threatened with eviction weekly !

Then to really top it off I got a very angry phone call from the agents husband friday evening askin why the rent wasn't paid in on the 1st of Sept. I asked why would it be as my rent is due on the 23rd. I paid it on the 23rd of august and my next payment at the new rate is the 23rd of sept??

He crossly told me that's nonsense my letter clearly meant my new rent was now due on the 1st of Sept ( even though I had just paid on the 23rd of august ) and said I'm now late with my rent !

I'm at the end of my rope with this crowd. Any advice would be welcome? Maybe I did read the letter wrong but surely I'm not being over sensitive? But the letting agents just don't seem to know what they are doing ?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

OP, it's probably worth calling the RTB and having a chat with them. It sounds like you may have several causes for complaint.

Here's a starting point for you:

https://www.rtb.ie/tenants

I've also changed the thread title to reflect the issues you're seeking advice about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Edited for clarity.
    Glitzgirl wrote: »

inspections every 12 weeks

I had to clear the arrears to have power installed

repair work takes weeks to be done

the agent called me a liar and threatened to evict me! ...every week I've gotten phone calls or emails ...getting threatened with eviction weekly

tried to increase my rent after 16 months...letter in was provided by his wife said my new rent comes into effect from the 1st of Sept ...letter clearly meant my new rent was now due on the 1st of Sept ( even though I had just paid on the 23rd of august ) and said I'm now late with my rent !...

What was in your contract, regarding inspections?

Power issue I dunno you should have checked that before renting. Electric suppliers do all sorts of tricks which aren't allowed to get their bad debts paid.

They are basically harassing you. You should contact PRTB about "peaceful occupation of the property" and the change of payment date. They can't do that without a joint agreement. Also the lack of response of repair work. Though it depends what the repair work is.

They basically don't know what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Graham wrote: »
    OP, it's probably worth calling the RTB and having a chat with them. It sounds like you may have several causes for complaint.

Here's a starting point for you:

https://www.rtb.ie/tenants

I've also changed the thread title to reflect the issues you're seeking advice about.

Thank you for that link graham much appreciated

beauf wrote: »
    Edited for clarity.

What was in your contract, regarding inspections?

Power issue I dunno you should have checked that before renting. Electric suppliers do all sorts of tricks which aren't allowed to get their bad debts paid.

They are basically harassing you. You should contact PRTB about "peaceful occupation of the property" and the change of payment date. They can't do that without a joint agreement. Also the lack of response of repair work. Though it depends what the repair work is.

They basically don't know what they are doing.

Initial contract was for 6 months stated inspections ar 12 weeks intervals. After 6 month contract renew to a yearly contract I think she said. I queried the inspections asked after the 1st year if letting agent saw all was ok could they be reduced to every 24 weeks told verbally yes. Agent refuses now to ask landlord about this.

Agent didn't know how to work pre pay meters. Took note of money owed. Told me the man who came to remove broken furniture before I moved in was a friend of LL and would clear the debt..he said he wasn't informed to do it. Agent said they are only a middle man not authorised to spend any money so I may clear it.. ( this was the day I moved in , after 6pm on a Saturday evening & no power )

Just to update spoke to both threshold and rtb. Yes they advised I make a complaint over several issues as suggested here too.

Letting agent is still adamant that my 90 day notice of rent increase changes the payment date of my contract also and has retrospectively issued me a notice saying I am not 14 days late with my rent . ( even though rtb agree it's actually not due til the 23rd of this month )

• Advertisement

If the agent wants to change the date of the rent, (most people want to move it to when they get paid etc.) The first payment would have to be reduced if there was an overlap, or increased if it was extended to the next date. But you have to both agree to it. If you don't then they can't change it.

It sounds like the agent can't do simple addition (...and is a Muppet...).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

* last month agents husband rang me giving out extra money wasn't there. I told him the letter in was provided by his wife said my new rent comes into effect from the 1st of Sept not august as she was late giving me the 90 days notice. He said he would check it and get back to me.. nothing.

Make a complaint to the police (who won't do anything) about harassment from the agent's husband with whom you have no relationship.

Write to the PTSB quoting the case number.

Make a complaint to the police each time he contacts you.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Check the agent is actual PSR registered and make complaints there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Is the agent's husband an employee of the agency? If not, ask why she has given him your contact details, and counter threaten a complaint to the data protection commissioner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

L1011 wrote: »

This.

This agent may be PSRA licensed, but is her husband. (Both Muppets IMO.)

From their website

"The Authority, following an investigation, has the power to sanction a licensee up to and including the revocation of a licence and may also impose fines of up to €250,000 where a PSP is found to have engaged in "improper conduct".

The Authority may bring a prosecution against a PSP for failing to comply with his or her statutory obligations or against any person providing a property service without a licence which may result in either a large fine or imprisonment or both. "

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »

Had no idea about the psr so will definitly check that out. Thank you.

The husband is the actual autioneer. He owns a premises in the town and is an auctuioneer..his wife was who I did the viewing with I was told she would be managing the property. She seems to have stopped. He has now taken over all dealings and is frankly the rudest person I've ever dealt with. He doesn't seem to know anything or what he should be doing.

For instance he is curently holding a broken mattress hostage here saying he won't ask landlord to repair or replace it until he gets a letter of confirmation saying my rent increase has been approved. It's soul destroying dealing with a bad agent :(

I think I would just record everything. Then take it to the RTB and open a dispute.

I think I would just record everything. Then take it to the RTB and open a dispute.

I'm think I'm too worried about rocking the boat. But I may have to at this stage. Do you know if I open a dispute do they just contact the agent and basically correct their behaviour ? My apologies if it's a naive question.

Its all here.

https://www.rtb.ie/dispute-resolution/dispute-resolution

While the agent doesn't know, or doesn't care what they are doing. You also have some responsibility for knowing your own rights and obligations.

It doesn't sound like this agent will stop harassing you ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

You also probably have grounds to complain to the guards for criminal harrasment.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/personal_finance/debt/debt_collection.html

Under Section 11 of the Non Fatal Offences against the person Act.

I'd certainly report this sort of behaviour to the Guards.

Its all here.

https://www.rtb.ie/dispute-resolution/dispute-resolution

While the agent doesn't know, or doesn't care what they are doing. You also have some responsibility for knowing your own rights and obligations.

It doesn't sound like this agent will stop harassing you ever.

Thank you beauf I did look up what I am responsible for a while ago and do try to ensure they are kept to. I also have tried to meet the agent more than half way on several occasions but I think your right. I don't know if they just don't know or don't seem to care. I fully suspect it will continue..will check out link provided thank you for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Had no idea about the psr so will definitly check that out. Thank you.

The husband is the actual autioneer. He owns a premises in the town and is an auctuioneer..his wife was who I did the viewing with I was told she would be managing the property. She seems to have stopped. He has now taken over all dealings and is frankly the rudest person I've ever dealt with. He doesn't seem to know anything or what he should be doing.

For instance he is curently holding a broken mattress hostage here saying he won't ask landlord to repair or replace it until he gets a letter of confirmation saying my rent increase has been approved. It's soul destroying dealing with a bad agent :(

I assume this has been all over the phone but if they were stupid enough to put any of this in writing all the better.

I'd suggest not taking any contact via telephone and deal in writing from now on with this cowboy. Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself and stop putting up with crap from people like this. Use phrases like "peaceful and quiet enjoyment of the dwelling" when dealing with him and document all issues you have had or are currently having in writing. You need to start getting your ducks in a row

Browney7 wrote: »
    I assume this has been all over the phone but if they were stupid enough to put any of this in writing all the better.

I'd suggest not taking any contact via telephone and deal in writing from now on with this cowboy. Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself and stop putting up with crap from people like this. Use phrases like "peaceful and quiet enjoyment of the dwelling" when dealing with him and document all issues you have had or are currently having in writing. You need to start getting your ducks in a row

Surprisingly 90 percent of my communication with them is via email. I won't call them as I like a paper trail in case it does fo pear shaped and yes he has been stupid enough to email me sayin about the matress etc and the carpet. The only phone call I've gotten where in august and last Friday re the rent and I emailed him immediately afterwards noting the conversation and saying I would have to seek advice as theit conduct was highly inappropriate. But in answer to your question yes, all documented, and in emails.

Advertisement