Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying product on the US Apple Store

Options
  • 19-09-2017 9:10pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I was thinking of buying a product (iPhone X) from the US Apple Store and have it delivered to a friend's house who lives there. Has anyone done something similar?

Can I place the order and input their address for delivery or would I need a US credit card?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

faceman wrote: »
    I was thinking of buying a product (iPhone X) from the US Apple Store and have it delivered to a friend's house who lives there. Has anyone done something similar?

Can I place the order and input their address for delivery or would I need a US credit card?

I was unable to order the watch on the US store. I was able to order it in Best Buy but only for store collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    I was unable to order the watch on the US store. I was able to order it in Best Buy but only for store collection.

I successfully ordered an apple watch for collection at an apple store in NY last year.

Re the iPhone X, is it the same model here? I know that for earlier models, they had different models for different markets based on LTE bands etc.

Also, I'm not sure if you can get warranty service in Ireland for a US phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Ro-76 wrote: »

Afaik the only warranty you will get with an international iPhone is the standard 1 year, I had an issue with a 6+ bought from the UK after year 1 and had to get it serviced in Belfast. While the initial savings are good buying from the US you are not entitled to the extra protection afforded under Irish consumer law. I bought the series 3 LTE feom the UK but will be buying the X here due to the peace of mind on a €1000+ phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

Afaik the only warranty you will get with an international iPhone is the standard 1 year, I had an issue with a 6+ bought from the UK after year 1 and had to get it serviced in Belfast. While the initial savings are good buying from the US you are not entitled to the extra protection afforded under Irish consumer law. I bought the series 3 LTE feom the UK but will be buying the X here due to the peace of mind on a €1000+ phone.

I believe that a US iphone may only have warranty coverage in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Looks like you are correct they used to offer international warranty for mobile devices but it looks like you need to stump up for AppleCare + to get what used to be standard, which is a bit rich

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

I successfully ordered an apple watch for collection at an apple store in NY last year.

Re the iPhone X, is it the same model here? I know that for earlier models, they had different models for different markets based on LTE bands etc.

Must be different for pre orders as I did reserve for
    Pick up in apple before. For the preorder when you get to the payment screen there’s about 7 or 8 country's credit cards you can pick from and ireland wasn’t one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Subject to correction but the AT&T and T-Mobile carrier compatibility iPhone X is the one that’s suitable for use in Europe.

Thanks for the feedback folks. Re the warranty I’m willing to take the risk as I’m in the US regularly anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Looks like you are correct they used to offer international warranty for mobile devices but it looks like you need to stump up for AppleCare + to get what used to be standard, which is a bit rich
    iPhone warranties never were international (as opposed to MacBook warranties which have always been). And to my knowledge AppleCare+ doesn't guarantee coverage outside of the region of purchase either (although in practice Apple will often offer it if you ask - AppleCare+ or not).

Edit: just confirmed AppleCare+ doesn't guarantee international cover: https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/applecareplus/docs/applecareplusnaen.html
    "Apple may restrict Hardware Service and ADH Services to the country where the Covered Equipment was originally purchased."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’ve bought all my iPhones through the uk store or Victoria Square store in NI.
    I have never had an issue with warranty replacements or repairs. But when my 5 lost sound outside of the standard warranty period of 12 months I had to return it to a store so back to Belfast it was.

My dad bought his iPhone 6 in NYC. It developed a fault within the 12 month warranty period but because it was bought in the us, he had to get it back to a store so the NI store it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

kceire wrote: »
    I have never had an issue with warranty replacements or repairs. But when my 5 lost sound outside of the standard warranty period of 12 months I had to return it to a store so back to Belfast it was.

My dad bought his iPhone 6 in NYC. It developed a fault within the 12 month warranty period but because it was bought in the us, he had to get it back to a store so the NI store it was.
    Yes they consider Europe as one region and to my knowledge they will offer full cross-country warranty services across European countries regardless of where in Europe the phone was purchased.

But indeed for a phone sold in the US or anywhere outside Europe they don't have to offer coverage in Ireland and most of the time they will refuse to provide a postal replacement or service via a premium reseller such as Compu b or iConnect. 
    As you said though they will usually provide service through any Apple Store (keeping in mind that while to usually do it they contractually don't have to as the T&Cs clearly specify the warranty is only valid in the region of purchase, so you can unofficially expect service but if they refuse for whatever reason there is nothing you can do).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

kceire wrote: »

Do you save much purchasing from NI or the UK? The US iPhone 7 has a few extra LTE bands that AT&T use, i suppose if you travel to USA a lot you'll benefit with more reliabilty with the extra bandwith.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Over the years a few bob here and there.
    Mostly easier as you could order online and collect in store, avoid the quest and then avoid the lack of supply here in dublin for 6 weeks or so.

It just meant you could sell your previous phone for top dollar as the new one wasn’t technically released here and it meant the swap was free

Advertisement