Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for mounts for my Howa 1500

Options
  • 19-09-2017 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Already have mounts and a base on my Howa1500 but I doubt they are very good quality as they were thrown in for free by the RFD. I've owned this rifle for years but never really used it too much, but that's about to change. In an effort to make it as accurate as it can be I'm looking for new bases and rings. I can't seem to find out if the bases that came on it were factory installed or just cheap ones put on by the dealer. Either way they are probably poor enough. I'm fitting a 50mm obj scope so I presume I will need high scope rings aswell? When they give a measurement for rings where exactly are they measuring from? And is there a benefit to keeping the scope as close to the bore as possible or is the height purely set for eye comfort and clearance between barrel and Objective?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Can't help with the Howe specifics, but regards ring height, don't forget to factor in the height of the mount as a ring deemed suitable for a particular objective size is measured from the base of the scope ring. So by mount that particular ring onto a rail your scope will be higher then what you desire.
    Have a gander at some web sites that will state which ring set is suitable for various scope objectives - they usually give various dimensions as part of the spec. These heights are fairly consistent and will allow you to gauge other sets that give dimensions but do not match up objective lenses. Then you can factor in the height of of the rail.
    From experience I never counted in the rail height and although my scope was a 56mm objective I was left with scope higher then I would really desire. But a cheek piece sorted that out as a cheaper alternative to new mounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭scoobydoo07

Howa 1500 has the same base screw holes as the Remington 700 so anything for the Remington will fit your rifle . Bases are relatively cheap depending however on the make

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Not recommending these or any thing only using them to illustrate the above point:
    https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/product/sportsmatch-hto8c-1-inch-double-screw-2-piece-high-rifle-scope-ring-mounts/

Keep the scope as low as possible so that you maintain proper and consistent cheek weld, this will help ensure tight and accurate grouping.

Make sure your able to comfortably operate the bolt and that it doesn't collide with the scope. But most of all don't have the scope touch the barrel and leave space for end caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭zeissman

Howa 1500 has the same base screw holes as the Remington 700 so anything for the Remington will fit your rifle . Bases are relatively cheap depending however on the make

The two piece bases will work with both the remington 700 and howa but if you want a one piece rail you will need one for a howa as the base screw holes are are not the same distance apart in both rifles

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

zeissman wrote: »

The two piece bases will work with both the remington 700 and howa but if you want a one piece rail you will need one for a howa as the base screw holes are are not the same distance apart in both rifles
    So any 2 piece Remington 700 mount is what I'm looking for. Do I have to get the weaver style mount bases and then rings that attach to the weaver rail or can I just get 2 single scope rings that will bolt to the action directly and leave out the bases? I'm just after something solid, simple and easy to get a hold of online. When I google it so much stuff comes up it's confusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

http://www.tier-one.eu/phone/index.html
    Get a rail and rings here if you fancy splashing out, they make great products

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

ormondprop wrote: »
    http://www.tier-one.eu/phone/index.html
    Get a rail and rings here if you fancy splashing out, they make great products
    They look really nice, bit pricey for me but maybe down the line I'll upgrade my scope and get something like these to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

all howa and weatherby use remington style bases and mounts as they are built similar and have similar actions.

Advertisement