Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does vintage insurance work?

Options
  • 19-09-2017 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Just out of pure interest, I don't need a car at all at the moment - but how much cheaper is vintage insurance then regular insurance, and what kind of milage caps do they impose? And how hard would it be for a fairly new driver to get vintage insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Usually to get a classic policy you need to have an everyday car already with a policy on it, most only insure people over 25 if that makes any difference.
    The car would need to be over 25 years old too.

I have a policy with axa, 4 cars insured for around €300 and 3k miles per car per year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Age of car varies - some insurers will cover a 15 year old car.

Mine has a requirement that the classic car has to be garaged nightly when at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Age of car varies - some insurers will cover a 15 year old car.

Mine has a requirement that the classic car has to be garaged nightly when at home.

Dont think any classic policy does 15 year old cars anymore, the limit seems to be now 20 years or older since last year. But they will still honor the 15 year limit for existing customers, just not new customers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Skatedude wrote: »
    Dont think any classic policy does 15 year old cars anymore, the limit seems to be now 20 years or older since last year. But they will still honor the 15 year limit for existing customers, just not new customers.

Depends on the insurer, the car, and proposers profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Side bar question if I may please.

What additional benefits do you derive from a vintage insurance policy over and above a regular comprehensive motor insurance policy ? I ask because I have a car that is not far off 30 years of age and am curious to know. It is used every day as a "regular" car as distinct from special or odd occasions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Side bar question if I may please.

What additional benefits do you derive from a vintage insurance policy over and above a regular comprehensive motor insurance policy ? I ask because I have a car that is not far off 30 years of age and am curious to know.

It's really only intended for people who want want to have a vintage as a second car. The policy is much cheaper but there are mileage limits imposed which are really only adequate for some weekend spins and going to vintage car meetups and show.

Is the car expensive to insure on a regular policy? I've a 97 starlet that's starting to get very expensive, some companies won't even quote me.

Thanks tuxy, that answers my question.
    Our premium is just under E400 with RSA. We stick with them as we think it is reasonable and don't want to create the new material fact of a refusal of a quote which you will probably then have to declare !

Thanks tuxy, that answers my question.
    Our premium is just under E400 with RSA. We stick with them as we think it is reasonable and don't want to create the new material fact of a refusal of a quote which you will probably then have to declare !

Advertisement