Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lot of mushrooms in parts of garden

Options
  • 19-09-2017 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,600 ✭✭✭✭

What is this a sign of?

Some massive ones too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Have these in my garden too, never thought why or how they are growing in my garden

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

When I see mushrooms I immediately think; "poo".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Same here, tried to dig them up last year, pain in my face this year because theirs so many :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Mushrooms are the 'flowering' parts of a fungus that usually feeds on decaying matter - thatch in the lawn, rotting tree roots etc. The fungus is underground and can cover a considerably bigger area than the mushrooms suggest. You'll never dig it out. Pull the mushrooms as they appear, if they bother you. Sometimes a nitrogen feed can destroy the fungus.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Could you not cook them for dinner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Your lawn needs a feed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

must be thatch, i try to rake the lawn each time i cut it, but have never dethatched it, ive a small lawn in an urban town. ill look out for a pusher dethatcher and see if i can get one. Not sure what sort of mushrooms they are, large white ones lol. mushrooms have only sprouted last year and this year, funnily enough thats the driest part of the lawn too. theres a neighbours tree at the dividing wall and probably the roots are under that part of the lawn too.will look at nitrogen feed for it but would assume best time for that is in spring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

CiniO wrote: »
    Could you not cook them for dinner?
    ....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

If you can't positively identify them do not attempt to eat them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,525 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my next door neighbour gets large mushrooms in the garden this time of year - god knows what they're growing on, they get someone to cut the grass, who lifts the cuttings, and the soil is so bad it's 70% moss, 20% weeds and 10% grass from what i can see.
    and nothing has been planted in that garden or soil disturbed, in many years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

my next door neighbour gets large mushrooms in the garden this time of year - god knows what they're growing on, they get someone to cut the grass, who lifts the cuttings, and the soil is so bad it's 70% moss, 20% weeds and 10% grass from what i can see.
    and nothing has been planted in that garden or soil disturbed, in many years.

This is what our garden was like when we moved in, and we also had lots of mushrooms. Soil was very poor and really compacted. After feeding the lawn, cutting down some hedges to let light in and creating some flower borders, they stopped appearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

http://www.wildfooduk.com/mushroom-guides/
    The website linked above can be useful as a guide to identifying fungi. I would caution that it would be better to look at the "poisonous" list first, and eliminate your find, rather than looking only at the "edible" list and and making a mistake.
    I found some very tasty mushrooms in the tree-shaded area where I stack the grass cuttings and I was able to ascertain that they were edible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

Mushrooms and tree roots have a symbotic relationship. Its just nature doing what nature does. Enjoy the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

be very careful what you eat OP, some mushrooms can make you very sick

• Registered Users Posts: 33,600 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

fryup wrote: »

Where did I say I was thinking of eating them?

Not a chance when I can buy non-poisonous ones in the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Some can make you very dead.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Where did I say I was thinking of eating them?

well just in case it crossed your mind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I had a couple of stinkhorn fungus out the back this year. Great craic.

^^^^^^^^^^

are they the ones that look like mickeys??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Any of the magic variety?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

^^^^^^^^^^

are they the ones that look like mickeys??

Indeed.

Advertisement