Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arab Liberation Flag on Shandon Mill

• 20-09-2017 12:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

Can someone please explain why there is an Arab Liberation flag ( Palestine ) on top of the Shandon Mills?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Bygumbo

Can someone please explain why there is an Arab Liberation flag ( Palestine ) on top of the Shandon Mills?

Because yeah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Attention seeking, or it may have to do with liberating women from some of the cave man ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

It's to celebrate Dublin winning the all Ireland

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's no reason to murder anyone anyway OP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

False flag. Someone wants the Israelis to seize Shandon Mills, evict anyone living there, and turn it over to Israeli colonists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Bloody right wingers.... Wot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It wouldn't be there if the liberal snowflake sheeple weren't leading us down the path to annihilation.

Or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

It wouldn't be there if the liberal snowflake sheeple weren't leading us down the path to annihilation.

Or something?

Racist!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Probably in relation to what's his face getting acquitted in Egypt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

The Palestinian flag has been flying here in Donegal for the last 20 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

The Palestinian flag has been flying here in Donegal for the last 20 years.

Must be fair tattered by now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Bob Dylan's 'Isis'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Because an idiot put it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Always been a strong affiliation between the Irish Nationalists and Palestinians.

There are a lot of parallels in their back stories; displaced by foreign settlers, treated like subhumans because of their religion/ethnicity by a genocidal foreign occupying power, using force to try and repel the occupation. And so forth.

So you can see how IRA supporters feel a level of kinship with the Palestinians. It's not rare at all to see the flag flown where you have high concentrations of 'RA heads.

Being an Irish Nationalist does not mean that you are a 'RA head', neither does showing solidarity for the oppressed people of Palestine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Well my opinion is I don't like it.  Iv'e nothing against them as a people but flying a flag pisses me off.  

I visit the UK very often but I don;t stink an Irish flag on off the Balcony in my hotel. 

I really think we are so PC these days that we forget that we are Irish, OK we at one stage were oppressed but that does not mean that we allow other nations to walk in and start throwing flags up everywhere. Stick up an Irish flag with Michael Collins picture or some IRA symbol on it and see how quick it's taken down by every Garda and councillor in the country, yet a foreign flag representing the same line of thought is allowed to be flown.

Both are symbolising freedom / fighting oppression yet we all know which one is allowed to fly........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

seamus wrote: »
    Always been a strong affiliation between the Irish Nationalists and Palestinians.

There are a lot of parallels in their back stories; displaced by foreign settlers, treated like subhumans because of their religion/ethnicity by a genocidal foreign occupying power, using force to try and repel the occupation. And so forth.

So you can see how IRA supporters feel a level of kinship with the Palestinians. It's not rare at all to see the flag flown where you have high concentrations of 'RA heads.

I'm sure there's a mill in Jerusalem with a tricolour flying of it this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Well that's a hilarious string of comments,I particularly like the connection made between Palestinians and fighting oppression. You need to inform yourselves about how people are treated there. Especially women. It gets more extreme and oppressive all the time. Whatever you might say about Israel, I would not be blinded to these problems and I would not be happy about a flag symbolising a backward, oppressive place like Palestine. And while I understand people here sympathising with other ordinary people there,I'm frankly not impressed by people showing solidarity with what is essentially an islamic state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Some people are interested in global politics and find that Palestinian cause thing sexy. They feel good about themselves, believing they are helping the oppressed.
    One night spent under a Palestinian rocket attack would lead to a quick 180 turn on that though.
    I've seen this flown in other parts of Ireland by a crank element. They just have an anti-establishment mentality that doesn't pay any regard to reason. You may also see a Cuban flag trying to make the same 'statement'.
    Laugh and move on I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The first chief rabbi of Israel was Irish and a strong supporter of SF. It wasn't until the cold war and the rise of left wing Arab nationalism that connections occurred.
    Today Arab nationalism is dead, replaced by fascist sectarian groups such as hamas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

...Stick up an Irish flag with Michael Collins picture or some IRA symbol on it and see how quick it's taken down by every Garda and councillor in the country...

I would almost guarantee that a tricolour with a picture of Michael Collins on it would not be taken down by the Guards. What authority would they have to do so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Well my opinion is I don't like it.  Iv'e nothing against them as a people but flying a flag pisses me off.  

I visit the UK very often but I don;t stink an Irish flag on off the Balcony in my hotel. 

I really think we are so PC these days that we forget that we are Irish, OK we at one stage were oppressed but that does not mean that we allow other nations to walk in and start throwing flags up everywhere. Stick up an Irish flag with Michael Collins picture or some IRA symbol on it and see how quick it's taken down by every Garda and councillor in the country, yet a foreign flag representing the same line of thought is allowed to be flown.

Both are symbolising freedom / fighting oppression yet we all know which one is allowed to fly........

I don't think that flag was put up by a Palestinian, could be wrong.

When we lived in Vancouver we had the Irish flag out and a California state flag too as someone from there was in the house. Nobody complained.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

It's not a mill. And there's no flag on it.

Shandon.jpg

El Weirdo wrote: »
    I would almost guarantee that a tricolour with a picture of Michael Collins on it would not be taken down by the Guards. What authority would they have to do so?

Ironically, the gardai should be the last people to take down such s flag. Since partition, the gardai were by default, pro treaty.. and the Irish army were anti treaty.

As for the flag issue, I was only assuming that everyone knew that the Palestinian flag is flown in republican areas of the North, and the Israeli flag is flown in unionist areas.

They would be advised by the council or some other authority to take it down in case it offends some British people or offends anyone who thinks it symbolises terrorism.............

This is a government one is forcing a mother travel overseas to save her daughter's life yet fighting to bring a terrorist supporter back to Ireland

We can't be seen as racist or one sided but by letting this flag fly and letting you know who back in we are doing just that

**In relation to bringing that terrorist home it was used as an example, please stay on topic**

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Being an Irish Nationalist does not mean that you are a 'RA head', neither does showing solidarity for the oppressed people of Palestine.
    Nobody said either of those things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I always liked Shandon area in Cork - got a very interesting mix of downbeat streets, alleys and buildings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Is the butter museum okay?

• Advertisement

They would be advised by the council or some other authority to take it down in case it offends some British people or offends anyone who thinks it symbolises terrorism.............

Bollocks.

Bollocks.

If I openly said I was a member if the IRA I would be arrested and investigated.

However if i said I was a member of any group relating to the Arab Liberation flag I wouldn't be looked at.

Only recently a man was charged with murder and membership of the IRA yet we knowingly have ISIS members being watched by Gardai and the Army Ranger Wing.......I don't see them being arrested for being apart of a terrorist organisation

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

topper75 wrote: »
    Some people are interested in global politics and find that Palestinian cause thing sexy. They feel good about themselves, believing they are helping the oppressed.
    One night spent under a Palestinian rocket attack would lead to a quick 180 turn on that though.
    I've seen this flown in other parts of Ireland by a crank element. They just have an anti-establishment mentality that doesn't pay any regard to reason. You may also see a Cuban flag trying to make the same 'statement'.
    Laugh and move on I say.

God forbid you'd find yourself under an Israeli missile attack or bulldozer,, you wouldn't have a chance to reconsider your views.

The rest is just nonsense

If I openly said I was a member if the IRA I would be arrested and investigated.

This has absolutely nothing to do with a tricolour with a picture of Michael Collins on it.

Advertisement