Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

spoilers

• 20-09-2017 12:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭

how soon after something is shown is it ok to talk freely about it.
    I see in a different thread that people are hiding info about programmes that are months or years old. why

I think a day for sports results . gives someone a chance to watch it
    a month for film from its release
    a week for tv.
    if you havnt watched it in that time you probably wont watch it,
    or if you do you need to make the effort not to find out rather than the other way round

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

it varies

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

in what way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

in what way

Something with the reach of Game of Thrones is never going to have avoidable spoilers if you haven't watched it more or less the same time as the masses. People want the water cooler bullplop moment. But something more niche like The Americans could easily not be spoiled for weeks/months and I'd hope if people know you like that, they could avoid spoiling . If you avoid spoilers for sport longer than a day you've done remarkably well.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

On boards, once it a TV show has been shown on TV over here, no need for spoilers. The fecking snowflakes shouldn't be looking at the thread after it has been shown and before they have seen it. Yet some complain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Its the World Wide Web...unless its in a dedicated thread for a particular show then spoilers arent spoilers just whatever happened in a show.
    What the fcuk are people doing reading stuff about a show on the net when they should be watching it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I think the other thread referred to is not a thread about a particular show, but a rake of them and films, so avoiding the thread for the potential of having any film or tv show ruined seems unreasonable. Spoiler tags aren't difficult to use.

I watched the entire backlog of GoT one week this year, and knew beforehand that
    everyone
    dies. Didn't spoil the show for me.

Sixth Sense, Old Boy, or Fight Club spoilers on the other hand, would completely spoil the film. So I'd agree with Tom - it depends...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A TV series: 1 month.

A movie: 6 months.

In both cases, you're giving enough time for people who genuinely enjoy it, to see it. For a TV series, someone may not know how to download and might have to wait, or could be on holidays or whatever. For a movie, someone may not have had the chance to go to the cinema, so have to wait for a different release format to see it.

If you're one of those people who posts spoilers about a show or a movie the day after it's released, you're a cvnt.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

OP, did you not get the memo??

You have to write to the overlords of boards in the blood from your left nipple and request permission to use spoilers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

deco nate wrote: »
    On boards, once it a TV show has been shown on TV over here, no need for spoilers. The fecking snowflakes shouldn't be looking at the thread after it has been shown and before they have seen it. Yet some complain

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 44 JollyBustard

Happy medium: Talk about it freely with people you know are watching/have watched it at the same rate as you.

Re GOT (which is what most think of when spoilers are mentioned for the past few years) I got into watching it later than most. Have enjoyed for the past three years since a binge of the first 4 series... On DVD. Not having Atlantic, and not being able to work downloads since auditory issues mean gimme subtitles meant I was watching behind the masses (til this year). Not a huge issue since I'd read the books, but I still avoided spoilers where I could. Now I just check with anyone in earshot if they've seen it before discussing the latest episode.

There shouldn't be a time limit on spoilers - eg, children who didn't grow up with Harry Potter or Star Wars should be allowed to discover the series as we did when they were first releasing, and have the same shock at plot twists.

TL;DR - Shouldn't have a time-limit, don't spoil, discuss with others who've watched/read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Spoil all you like. I'll never watch them anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

seamus wrote: »
    A TV series: 1 month.

A movie: 6 months.

In both cases, you're giving enough time for people who genuinely enjoy it, to see it. For a TV series, someone may not know how to download and might have to wait, or could be on holidays or whatever. For a movie, someone may not have had the chance to go to the cinema, so have to wait for a different release format to see it.

If you're one of those people who posts spoilers about a show or a movie the day after it's released, you're a cvnt.

don't worry I not one of those cvnts .
    many a film was ruined by someone spoiling it for me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There shouldn't be a time limit on spoilers - eg, children who didn't grow up with Harry Potter or Star Wars should be allowed to discover the series as we did when they were first releasing, and have the same shock at plot twists.
    Children watching Star Wars for the first time should be shown them in Machete Order

Obligatory
    (please note that from this point on I'll be mentioning twists and plot details of the films so this is your official SPOILER WARNING for a movie that came out over 37 years ago because internet commenters will complain about literally anything)

Advertisement