Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help figuring out how to control two fans.

Options
  • 20-09-2017 7:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭

I've just built my first PC.... https://pcpartpicker.com/user/mloc/saved/PVKP6h... The problem I'm having is I can't seem to figure out how, if possible, to control/change the speed of my two fans.

I'd like them to spin very slow or off, when I'm doing light work or nothing, then for them to kick in gradually, based on the level of work I'm doing..

From what I've read, my options maybe, get another 4-pin fan, once that's hooked up with my other 3-Pin fan, I'd be able to control them in my motherboard bios.

Second option was to get a fan controller, but since my existing fans are only 3-Pin, I don't think I'd be able to control them...?

Since I've installed them, they have not changed speed, no matter what I'm doing, or no matter what I try and change in the motherboard's bios, I've also tried Speedfan, I couldn't get any joy with that.

Any help would be great, cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Download a program called SpeedFan. It allows you to control fan speed to your liking. It can be a bit fiddly but there are plenty of tutorials on YouTube. I use it myself.

Edit : Just saw you used it. No reason why it shouldn't work for you. It's not as simple as just changing the numbers on it. You have to set it up in order for it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

lewis wrote: »
    I've just built my first PC.... https://pcpartpicker.com/user/mloc/saved/PVKP6h... The problem I'm having is I can't seem to figure out how, if possible, to control/change the speed of my two fans.

I'd like them to spin very slow or off, when I'm doing light work or nothing, then for them to kick in gradually, based on the level of work I'm doing..

From what I've read, my options maybe, get another 4-pin fan, once that's hooked up with my other 3-Pin fan, I'd be able to control them in my motherboard bios.

Second option was to get a fan controller, but since my existing fans are only 3-Pin, I don't think I'd be able to control them...?

Since I've installed them, they have not changed speed, no matter what I'm doing, or no matter what I try and change in the motherboard's bios, I've also tried Speedfan, I couldn't get any joy with that.

Any help would be great, cheers.

That's a bit unusual, I've an almost identical mobo (AS Rock z170 Pro4) in a budget Corsair case that came with two case fans (more than likely the cheapo cousins of AF120s) and I've always been able to control them by setting a custom fan curve in the bios...

Have you gone right through setting target fan percentages by temps and saved changes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

2ndcoming wrote: »
    That's a bit unusual, I've an almost identical mobo (AS Rock z170 Pro4) in a budget Corsair case that came with two case fans (more than likely the cheapo cousins of AF120s) and I've always been able to control them by setting a custom fan curve in the bios...

Have you gone right through setting target fan percentages by temps and saved changes?

I thought I did.

Do you have a step by step guide, I'm new to all this.

Also is there a way to test the settings once set, like through software or something?

I thought I did.

Do you have a step by step guide, I'm new to all this.

Also is there a way to test the settings once set, like through software or something?

You'll hear the difference. I had intake shutting off on startup until a certain temp was reached and you could hear it stopping as Windows booted. In work now but when I'm home I'll have a look and post details.

• Advertisement

I'm actually in the middle of this video, not having much luck, I've found the pwm that seems to control the case fan, but I can't find what controls my two front fans..

I've a feeling that since my two front fans are 3-Pin, I don't seem to have the option to find or control them...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

3 Pin fan connectors are the DC ones then, if that helps.

Spear wrote: »
    3 Pin fan connectors are the DC ones then, if that helps.

DC?

That got something to do with voltage?

I'm in my UEFI and selected DC mode for the two front fans, then choose silent mode and BAM, straight away the two fans slowed right down, nice and quiet now.

Now all I need to figure out is setting the CPU temps and assign a respective fan speed for each temp.

I'm actually in the middle of this video, not having much luck, I've found the pwm that seems to control the case fan, but I can't find what controls my two front fans..

I've a feeling that since my two front fans are 3-Pin, I don't seem to have the option to find or control them...

You can get 3 pin to 4 pin adapters. Pretty cheap on Amazon and the likes.

You can get 3 pin to 4 pin adapters. Pretty cheap on Amazon and the likes.

I already got this splitter, would this have the same result as a 3-pin to 4-pin splitter?

• Advertisement

Same type as i use and i can control my 3 fans with SpeedFan. Both being powered by the fan headers on my mobo.

Same type as i use and i can control my 3 fans with SpeedFan. Both being powered by the fan headers on my mobo.

This is my motherboard and I've the splitter plugged into No.16.

Can you manually control the speed from here, or just control it based on the temp curves?

Uncheck that Automatic fan speed. Try lowering the Aux and Aux1 and see what happens.

Uncheck that Automatic fan speed. Try lowering the Aux and Aux1 and see what happens.

Nothing happened.

I went in to the motherboard UEFI and I have these options for the header the splitter is plugged into... I selected CPU, then the other option is... I choose PWM mode.

Now when I pick PWM mode, the two front fans kick into high gear, even LEDs get brighter, but I can`t seem to manually adjust them.

If I pick DC mode, they go silent and still the same, I can`t manually adjust them.

For both options I can`t seem to figure out a good temp curve and for it to work....

For both those chassis fan settings choose custom and it will allow you to set up a custom fan curve based on internal temps. That way you can attain near silence for normal use and only have them ramp up when needed.

You don't really need any intake running under 30degrees, I mean the air inside your room is unlikely to be much lower than that anyway most of the time.

I don't think you should need more than one intake period tbh. Exhausting heat is more important so if the case allows it I'd put one exhausting at the rear, one exhausting at the top and one intake on the front. If not just one in front one out rear.

If silence is your goal this would help a long way. Fans should only really be noticeable during heavy gaming sessions, ie when you're too engrossed to care.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    For both those chassis fan settings choose custom and it will allow you to set up a custom fan curve based on internal temps. That way you can attain near silence for normal use and only have them ramp up when needed.

You don't really need any intake running under 30degrees, I mean the air inside your room is unlikely to be much lower than that anyway most of the time.

I don't think you should need more than one intake period tbh. Exhausting heat is more important so if the case allows it I'd put one exhausting at the rear, one exhausting at the top and one intake on the front. If not just one in front one out rear.

If silence is your goal this would help a long way. Fans should only really be noticeable during heavy gaming sessions, ie when you're too engrossed to care.

I know my fans are overkill, but there a good overkill, lol. My Photoshop is only going to get more demanding and of course, there will be some games on it, not planned, but not having any games on a PC just seems odd.

Just frustrating that I can't get control of the fans from what I've watched and read.

I've a feeling that if I had bought fans with 4-pins, I'd not have these problems.

My fans are only 3 pin and have them connected to splitters like the pic you posted earlier and I can control them with SpeedFan. How many pins is on the connection to the splitters you have connected to your mobo?

My fans are only 3 pin and have them connected to splitters like the pic you posted earlier and I can control them with SpeedFan. How many pins is on the connection to the splitters you have connected to your mobo?

4-pin.

PLEASE could you share with me how the hell you set it up...even in a benchmark my fans won`t kick in....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

OP Speedfan will do what you want, but need to put the effort in to figure it out.

After lots of tweaking speedfan I have lovely silent case/cpu fans. GPU fan however still sounds like jet engine under load >.<

srsly78 wrote: »
    OP Speedfan will do what you want, but need to put the effort in to figure it out.

After lots of tweaking speedfan I have lovely silent case/cpu fans. GPU fan however still sounds like jet engine under load >.<

Don`t get me wrong, I`m trying my best to try get this to work..:)

My two fronts fans are the ones that sounds like that, lol.

• Advertisement

Well try this -> configure -> advanced tab -> select chipset -> set all PWM modes to manual. Then go to temperatures tab, specify desired ranges etc. Then main screen tick auto fan speed.

Also disable all that fan control stuff you set in BIOS, it may override speedfan.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Well try this -> configure -> advanced tab -> select chipset -> set all PWM modes to manual. Then go to temperatures tab, specify desired ranges etc. Then main screen tick auto fan speed.

Also disable all that fan control stuff you set in BIOS, it may override speedfan.

How does this look?

Another thing, in the motherboard UEFI, which should I select for the front fans, DC mode or PWM mode?

Yep looks like mine. Now untick the auto fan speed, and adjust the speeds manually. Going from 0->100 should show if it works or not.

Note that nuvotron chipset is mainboard only, doesnt affect gpu.

In your fan configuration in UEFI make sure the chassis fans are set to auto and not PWM.

In your fan configuration in UEFI make sure the chassis fans are set to auto and not PWM.

These are the only options I have, I don't see any auto..

Just reset bios to defaults :) Dunno what those modes mean, maybe standard will let speedfan take control.

If your fans are connected with that 4 pin splitter to your mobo then SpeedFan should work. I don't use the fan settings on my Asus mobo but just use SpeedFan. Keep trying.

If your fans are connected with that 4 pin splitter to your mobo then SpeedFan should work. I don't use the fan settings on my Asus mobo but just use SpeedFan. Keep trying.

Do you think changing, if possible, the fan connections on my motherboard, or are they correct?

If they are connected to the headers marked chassis fan or sys fan then you have them in the right headers.

• Advertisement

Where do you have that plugged into?

What's the label?

EDIT: I think I`m onto something here, lol. I did another benchmark along with some messing around with Speedfan and the front fans were adjusting... not sure what settings are best, but it never did this before...

Advertisement