Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you live in Finglas?

• 20-09-2017 8:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Shelga

I'm 30, female, single, no kids.

Could be in a position to buy a 2 bedroom apartment early next year, will have about a €35k deposit. Faced with tough choices like a lot of people in regards to affordable areas (especially single people), I don't want to rule anything out. Seems like decent apartments are on sale for €190-210k in Finglas, whereas a comparable apartment in an area like Raheny is easily €100k more at this stage.

I feel like at this stage I'm willing to live almost anywhere inside the M50! However I really don't know much about Finglas- hear stuff about anti-social behaviour, dangerous areas etc, but is it really that bad?

Also, I'm not actually working in Dublin at the moment, am about an hour away- but it's where all my family and friends live and it's where I see myself settling down. There are also options to work in Dublin in my current job.

Or, should I just abandon buying somewhere altogether for now, save my pennies for another ~3 years, hope for another mini crash?

I know no one can tell me what to do but it's good to hear opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Not half as bad as it used to be, but with that being said it really depends on what area of Finglas your talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

It depends on where in Finglas, I grew up and have lived there most of my life. Like most areas it's not perfect but it really depends on where you are looking at. We have never experienced any issues ourselves as we are on the quiet side of the village. There are certainly parts where I would think twice about living, the west is not great, but overall it's fine. I know a few people who live in the apartments above charlstown Shopping Center and they have never had a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I'd move there alright.

there are a few estates where anti social behaviour does occur, hence the nickname the 'wild west'. and bad reputation does stick, warranted or not.

But i can tell you raheny has similar issues. As do most estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭sabrewolfe

I used to live in Hampton Wood up near Charlestown, was in my ground floor apartment for 4 years and never had an ounce of trouble. Nice neighbours and a decent estate. I've been renting out the apartment for the past 5 years and never had a complaint about anti-social behaviour from any of my tenants. A lot of very nice apartments in the estate still and dead handy for getting into town as the 140 bus actually terminates / starts from Hampton Wood Road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

A bit out side your price range but much better than an apartment near to good transport links an established area and near Glasnevin.

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/glasnevin/60-griffith-parade-glasnevin-dublin-1497296/ or if Rahney is out side your price range why not look at Donaghmead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

The East of Finglas in my opinion is really nice and if I'd have had the money I would have bought there. It's settled and quiet enough. I'd stay clear from the Southern part in the West, and by that I mean everything behind the Tesco in Clearwater. In my early days of the househunt we were looking there and stayed clear of it soon enough. I know a guy living close to the Garda station though and that's okay there.

The Eastern part got quite expensive though and they are usually exceeding the asking price quite a bit. But lovely Ex corpo houses there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

mariaalice wrote: »
    A bit out side your price range but much better than an apartment near to good transport links an established area and near Glasnevin.

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/glasnevin/60-griffith-parade-glasnevin-dublin-1497296/ or if Rahney is out side your price range why not look at Donaghmead.

Yep. Go onto myhome.ie and put in Dublin 5 and 13 and your budget. I put in 200,000 and got 12 results.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

I lived there while in college.
    It was just ok, but I definitely wouldn't want to buy a house there to live with my children.

__..__ wrote: »
    I lived there while in college.
    It was just ok, but I definitely wouldn't want to buy a house there to live with my children.

Just curious, where about in Finglas where you living and how long ago. There are some areas that are a bit rough alright.

Lived nearer poppintree, also right in the middle of finglas and across the road from Tesco.
    Most of the areas were fine. Night time, no matter where you are in finglas can bring trouble. But I wasn't too bad because I was left alone mostly. A couple of friends though had major trouble on occasion.
    I would worry more for my children if I lived there than about myself though. I wouldn't give it a second thought if it we're just me buying there but it wouldn't be.

• Advertisement

Yeah up around Tesco can get interesting alright but I don't think it as bad as it used to be. You can get trouble anywhere in a city at night and I don't think Finglas is any better or worse than most of the city. I think the area between the village and Glasnevin direction is fine and the crime stats tend to show this, but I am not sure if we should be taking crime stats into account anymore but that's a whole other thread ;-)

To get back to the OP I think you just have to do some research into an area, I know we did when looking. Visit an area at various times of the day and night to see what is going on. Halloween is coming up fast and they is kind on an insight into a lot of areas. I can remember years ago that Finglas where I am was filled with fireworks going off and lots of groups roaming around. Last year apart form the council display we hardly heard any fireworks and it was generally a quiet night. That's just my own opinion and I am sure there are very different views on the area.

Hope this helps.

In fairness, the areas around Tesco are rough, especially behind it to the west.

There are new one bed apartment for 170k in Donaghmead and secondhand two beds for 210k, you could walk to Rahney from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Stay east of the Finglas/North rd and you'll be ok, except for maybe Glenhill.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

LirW wrote: »
    In fairness, the areas around Tesco are rough, especially behind it to the west.

Behind Tesco is Finglas South ( The Far South). That would have been the roughest part of Finglas for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

kceire wrote: »
    Behind Tesco is Finglas South ( The Far South). That would have been the roughest part of Finglas for many years.

A quick drive around and you will see horses in fields etc in South & West Finglas....make of that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

Anywhere to the east of the village is grand, up nearer to Glasnevin avenue.
    All around Charlestown up as far as ikea is grand. Not many issues. Stay clear of
    the west and a lot of the south.

It can be a lovely area though, and extremely handy for getting into town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

OP, if you do choose to buy there, just remember it will be extremely difficult to sell on the apartment WHEN you decide you dont want to live there anymore.
    you will NEVER sell it again for more than you paid in an area like that, and you would be better to look into places like Kilbarrack or donaghmede which are way better in terms of antisocial stuff, and are both on the DART so are even handier than finglas. and i say that with ALL my family from finglas. they wouldnt buy any property there either.

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    A quick drive around and you will see horses in fields etc in South & West Finglas....make of that what you will.

You'll see horses in fields and on greens and in transit in every part of finglas.

OP, if you do choose to buy there, just remember it will be extremely difficult to sell on the apartment WHEN you decide you dont want to live there anymore.
    you will NEVER sell it again for more than you paid in an area like that, and you would be better to look into places like Kilbarrack or donaghmede which are way better in terms of antisocial stuff, and are both on the DART so are even handier than finglas. and i say that with ALL my family from finglas. they wouldnt buy any property there either.

How to explain this then it would take you a max of ten minuets from there to walk in to Finglas village.

.https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/75-willow-park-avenue-glasnevin-dublin-11/4094607

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Galadriel

You'll see horses in fields and on greens and in transit in every part of finglas.

Em, no not every field or green, that's a bit of an exaggeration.

mariaalice wrote: »
    How to explain this then it would take you a max of ten minuets from there to walk in to Finglas village from here.

.https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/75-willow-park-avenue-glasnevin-dublin-11/4094607

i wouldnt buy that either. if it takes you ten minutes to walk to the village, then it also takes the same amount of time for the gangs of roving teenage troublemakers to get to your house.

plus, i know finglas, and that area of "glasnevin" like the back of my hand, and believe me, they go on the rob in the bigger/nicer houses.

nice house though, but i wouldnt live in it.

the main thing is Location when it comes to buying a property.
    you should NEVER buy the nice house if it's in a sh!t location
    buy the smaller house in a nice area cos you can actually sell it on then.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 purplemonkey79

I'm from Finglas and grew up there , don't live there now but i do live across the way in Ashtown ,it's right along the canal and train line ,you might want to check it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

Lived in finglas for a few years. In the rough part up near the hospital. It was every bit the Wild West. A horrible horrible place. Mostly very nice neighbours but huge anti social issues. East finglas however is quite nice, over by the village into glasnevin and towards DCU.

kceire wrote: »

That I mean, like "West (from the Tesco)" Basically everything that's North of the Tolka Valley Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Swords. Excellent Transport Links. Good Nightlife. Will Always attract tenant you move out. Perfect for a Single.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/62-carnegie-court-swords-co-dublin/4031407

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

That is just not true
    Like every neighborhood in Dublin there are affluent and distressed parts.
    While Finglas has areas I would be nervous living in , there are plenty of really nice parts of Finglas and plenty that recovered from the last dip faster than most parts of Dublin.

Galadriel wrote: »
    Em, no not every field or green, that's a bit of an exaggeration.

Don't even try to tell me that you lived in finglas and didn't see horses over that time outside the areas mentioned in the lost I replied to.
    I for.one do not believe you one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kev22185

Grew up in Finglas South in what would be considered an ok area. Lived in what would be considered a rough area in my early 20's - there wasn't much difference between the two. My advice would be to avoid it if possible. I've family still living there, including my elderly parents and there just always seems to be something or other going on. west, south, east. My sister bought an apartment at the height beside the what was then the deputy mayor pub (no idea what it's called now). she gets harassed on a daily basis by people renting the apartment below her and never feels safe walking around the area.

• Advertisement

That's just not the case.

That's just not the case.

Was for me. Maybe there are less horse traveling the roads of finglas these days.

Was for me. Maybe there are less horse traveling the roads of finglas these days.

Not sure how long ago you are talking about. It's not a thing anymore and ever since they sorted out smithfield's monthly horse "fair" there are far fewer of them in Dublin Generally.

The pub is still called the deputy mayor and I have never had any issues on that road and I walk down it every other day.

Not sure how long ago you are talking about. It's not a thing anymore and ever since they sorted out smithfield's monthly horse "fair" there are far fewer of them in Dublin Generally.

The pub is still called the deputy mayor and I have never had any issues on that road and I walk down it every other day.

Go way :) There are plenty of horse knocking around finglas still. I was only driving through finglas the other day and two Sully's came flying up the road. Three weeks ago I was driving through and about 5 young lads on horses came charging across the road followed by another load of them on bikes. That's 2 out of the last 4 to.es I've even driven through finglas, never mind spend time there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Lived on kildonan road on the last 90's for a brief time.

I actually liked it to be fair.

I haven't been back since though.

• Advertisement

Maybe the issue as a single person is buying an apartment in a areas that has a large amount of investment properties and thus a transient population.

Also this thread reminds me of being in Bray with someone who had 'certain' ideas about the area they just couldn't believe that there were large Victorian redbricks that you could pay 800k/900k or more for it just didn't compute with the perception they had.

OK I am just going to call it here and say that this is the most made up nonsense looking to troll I have seen here in a long time. If your family members have been targeted this much then they are clearly doing something to bring it on themselves. Like I said, Finglas has it's issues but I have lived there all my life and have never heard of someone who keeps to themselves having to put up with this.

Finglas has it's good areas and it's bad. All you have to do is visit them and it becomes pretty clear what areas are more desirable. Like everywhere else in Dublin the property prices are going up and the houses and apartments in the nicer end sell very quickly. A house a few door up from me went on sale about 2 months ago and already has a sold sign on it.

In relation to burglaries, oh course thieves are going to target houses at the nicer end of any area. They have a better option of finding more valuable portable items in these houses but I can assure you that houses are not getting pillaged on a weekly basis. Of course it does happen but it happens everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

OK I am just going to call it here and say that this is the most made up nonsense looking to troll I have seen here in a long time. If your family members have been targeted this much then they are clearly doing something to bring it on themselves. Like I said, Finglas has it's issues but I have lived there all my life and have never heard of someone who keeps to themselves having to put up with this.

Finglas has it's good areas and it's bad. All you have to do is visit them and it becomes pretty clear what areas are more desirable. Like everywhere else in Dublin the property prices are going up and the houses and apartments in the nicer end sell very quickly. A house a few door up from me went on sale about 2 months ago and already has a sold sign on it.

In relation to burglaries, oh course thieves are going to target houses at the nicer end of any area. They have a better option of finding more valuable portable items in these houses but I can assure you that houses are not getting pillaged on a weekly basis. Of course it does happen but it happens everywhere.

I know plenty of people who were beaten up in Finglas too.
    In one house I lived in out of five lads, 3 were beaten up over the year.
    Never seen that living anywhere else.
    Also after one of the bearings we started getting eggs thrown at the house at least once a week for about 3 months. I think the two events might have been connected.
    I never had major trouble, but others did.
    It's certainly not a peaceful suburb. Far from it.
    But you can live there peacefully enough if you can put up with a certain amount of ****. Wouldn't be top of my list of places to buy though.

We all know people who have been beaten up or mugged at some stage of their life but I think to say that Finglas is a hot spot with daily beatings on random people is more than a but unfair. It's an issue across all of Dublin, and maybe more outside of it, but Finglas is nowhere near as bad as it's reputation makes people who do not live think it is. I also think that if you lived in a house with 5 lads where 3 were assaulted in less than a year and the house was getting egged as well there was more to that story than you are willing to say or know.

• Advertisement

We all know people who have been beaten up or mugged at some stage of their life but I think to say that Finglas is a hot spot with daily beatings on random people is more than a but unfair. It's an issue across all of Dublin, and maybe more outside of it, but Finglas is nowhere near as bad as it's reputation makes people who do not live think it is. I also think that if you lived in a house with 5 lads where 3 were assaulted in less than a year and the house was getting egged as well there was more to that story than you are willing to say or know.

That's world class victim.blaming right there.

Finglas is a hotspot. Are you saying it's not?

That's world class victim.blaming right there.

Finglas is a hotspot. Are you saying it's not?

No it not, it's looking at the fact the 3 out of 5 people you lived with were involved in some sort of altercation and your house was targeted as a result of one of them. I think it is pretty clear there was more going on there.

One of things you learn in life is that you don't feed the trolls, so that is what I am going to do. Some people clearly have a perception of Finglas based on incidents going on years ago. It's not perfect, I never said it was, and there are areas where I would avoid but there are not gangs wandering the streets dishing out beatings.

I will leave you to your opinion and misconceptions about an area your don't even live in any more but if the OP wants to PM me I will offer what advise I can as person who has lived there all my life, and is very happy there with my family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Shelga

OP here, thanks for all the advice!

Seems like there are mixed views but east seems to be better overall. Think I would just apply common sense when viewing a property, and get a feel for the area at several times of the day/night, that's a good idea.

I'm definitely not going to discount any area as a whole, I can't afford to. In this market I have to be realistic about what's possible, if I want to own my own place.

Somewhere like this: https://touch.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/finglas/71-tolka-vale-finglas-road-finglas-dublin-1401254

A lot of the places seem perfectly nice and in decent-looking complexes, so I'm wondering is there something big I'm missing, or are people just snobs...

No it not, it's looking at the fact the 3 out of 5 people you lived with were involved in some sort of altercation and your house was targeted as a result of one of them. I think it is pretty clear there was more going on there.

One of things you learn in life is that you don't feed the trolls, so that is what I am going to do. Some people clearly have a perception of Finglas based on incidents going on years ago. It's not perfect, I never said it was, and there are areas where I would avoid but there are not gangs wandering the streets dishing out beatings.

I will leave you to your opinion and misconceptions about an area your don't even live in any more but if the OP wants to PM me I will offer what advise I can as person who has lived there all my life, and is very happy there with my family.

There was a reason but I didn't want to mention it. The guards after they got to the bottom of it said it was because they had country accents and no other reason.

But never let something like that get in the way of blaming the victims.

As you say, best to leave it at that.

Shelga wrote: »

Seems like there are mixed views but east seems to be better overall. Think I would just apply common sense when viewing a property, and get a feel for the area at several times of the day/night, that's a good idea.

I'm definitely not going to discount any area as a whole, I can't afford to. In this market I have to be realistic about what's possible, if I want to own my own place.

Somewhere like this: https://touch.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/finglas/71-tolka-vale-finglas-road-finglas-dublin-1401254

A lot of the places seem perfectly nice and in decent-looking complexes, so I'm wondering is there something big I'm missing, or are people just snobs...

You are correct. Best way is to take a walk some night and see how you feel. Don't stick to just where you want to buy. Remember your children will be hanging around further afield that you will walk to, so walk all over.

i'd also like to add here, that a family member of mine was beaten to death in the street IN ONE OF THE so-called "nice" areas in the village. kicked to death by a gang of teenagers who ALL GOT AWAY WITH IT.
    they are still on the loose, along with whatever scum they have produced in the meantime and the rest.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING IN FINGLAS
    that is, of course unless you have eyes in the back of your head, or a gun to put in your handbag. it's a horrible place.

do you know what the irony is, the fvcking scum who killed him, came from an "even nicer" part that people would class as "glasnevin".

it's a KIP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Jesus there's some massive overreactions here.

Finglas is fine. As others have said, stay away from the south (behind the Tesco and up towards the back of Dunnes on Cardiffsbridge Road, if you take a look at google maps you're basically looking for St.Helena's Road, anything on either side of that road is a no go. I'd also steer clear of anything with Barry or Plunkett in the name and Cappagh Avenue. Anywhere else is perfectly fine. That apartment you're looking at is in a nice complex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Shelga wrote: »

That is actually one of the nicest apartment blocks in that part of the city, it's nicely situated and well cared for. Its on the Tolka river and has a lovely park behind it (although i wouldn't go into it after dark). You are well away from most of Finglas there. It's on the Glasnevin border. Close to town with good transport and a Lidl beside it, and a couple of decent pubs within walking distance. Good girls school within walking distance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭FinanceDublin

i'd also like to add here, that a family member of mine was beaten to death in the street IN ONE OF THE so-called "nice" areas in the village. kicked to death by a gang of teenagers who ALL GOT AWAY WITH IT.
    they are still on the loose, along with whatever scum they have produced in the meantime and the rest.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING IN FINGLAS
    that is, of course unless you have eyes in the back of your head, or a gun to put in your handbag. it's a horrible place.

do you know what the irony is, the fvcking scum who killed him, came from an "even nicer" part that people would class as "glasnevin".

it's a KIP!

You clearly have an issue with the place which - given your experience - is understandable in a way. However, people have unfortunately been murdered before in Blackrock, Donaghmede and indeed Killester (one seen as a traditionally nice place, and the other two recommended by yourself), so I'm not sure what your point is.

By and large agree with all other posters though, but think the multiple contributions from the above individual should perhaps be weighed against their personal experience which, while unfortunate, isn't at all a reflection on the entire area.

• Advertisement
Advertisement