Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home wiring - what kind?

Options
  • 20-09-2017 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My home is wired with Ethernet points in most rooms.

How can I tell what type of cable is used?
    Visually, is there a difference between CAT3 or CAT6 for example?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hi,

My home is wired with Ethernet points in most rooms.

How can I tell what type of cable is used?
    Visually, is there a difference between CAT3 or CAT6 for example?

Thanks

You think you might have Cat3? Wow!

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/differences-between-ethernet-cables/

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Haha I'm hoping I don't!

Thanks for the article, but I'm still stumped. Is there any way to visually know by looking at the outlet?

To clarify, I'm trying to buy appropriate cables to connect to devices. There's no point buying super fast CAT6 if there's a CAT5 bottleneck in the wall.

Broadband services have not yet been switched on by my provider so I can't run a speed test yet.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Haha I'm hoping I don't!

Thanks for the article, but I'm still stumped. Is there any way to visually know by looking at the outlet?

To clarify, I'm trying to buy appropriate cables to connect to devices. There's no point buying super fast CAT6 if there's a CAT5 bottleneck in the wall.

Broadband services have not yet been switched on by my provider so I can't run a speed test yet.

Cheers

Between wall and device is usually a fairly short run so Cat5e is as good as you need.
    If you wanted to go longer distances then Cat6 might be appropriate, or if you wanted to future proof a commercial install then you might want to make allowance for 10Gb/s by using Cat6.

Cat5e will give 1Gb/s which is plenty IMO.
    Cat6, although it is not shown in that link, has a centre plastic core in an X shape and the wires are divided in the four parts of the X. This makes it very difficult to handle in some circumstances and its turn radius is limited because of the centre piece.

Cat6.jpg

Cat6 is also probably better for 'noisy' environments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Haha I'm hoping I don't!

Cheers

Take a faceplate off it's usually its written on the cable.

TBH Cat5e is fine for 1GB/s at 100 metres so will be fine for patch leads in the home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Beaten to it by Johnboy :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement