Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using DeGiro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I've had something similar before, it took about a week and I was freaking out a bit but the funds did arrive eventually.

Have to say I find T212 support far more responsive and helpful.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Do we know when to expect the tax report for 2021? I don’t want to be late filing again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Full report is in Jan.

Jan-Nov report should be in first week of Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Hey folks,

Is DeGiro the best platform to use if I wanted to start purchasing some shares?

Just some companies currently on the Nasdaq?

I am looking at investing a small bit each month from the payslip & purchasing shares on a monthly basis.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jake frost

I use both DeGiro and Trading 212, and personally I find T212 to be extremely user friendly and simple to use with very low or zero costs compared to DeGiro. However a word of caution I'm not sure if T212 are taking new customers right now you will need to check with them, and more importantly there is a lot of chatter at the moment that they haven't submitted their audited accounts to the UK governing authority yet, they are 2 months overdue, which is a bit disconcerting, and raises questions. Another option to explore is Etoro, which I have not used, but I heard positive reports about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

My friend opened a T212 account a few weeks ago, think they might be back taking on new customers again after being out of action since the GME week back in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

thinking of switching to DeGiro myself , been with Saxo for almost eight years and they are really beginning to p1ss me off with their constant requests for proof of funds , they restrict trading on your account until you provide said documents , they even wanted a tax clearance cert but I told them I would leave as its none of their business how compliant I am with irish tax law

add to that all of their customer service has been outsourced to India from what I can see so no one knows anything about anything in terms of resolving issues

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

I use both Degiro and Etoro. I find both platforms have the benefits and disadvantages. Degiro is best for execution of transactions and Etoro is best for social trading and education ( academy ) The spread on Etoro seems expensive. Degiro's fees are small for US stocks. Degiro also offers more products than Etoro. Some products are available on Etoro but not Degiro, like crypto, copy trading and some etf's.

Hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JohnNightmare

Do either etoro or t212 accept PayPal to transfer funds to and from?

Basically want to buy a one time small amount and leave it a few months without the banks knowing.

Thanks

What I didn't like with etoro and T212 was the off bid-ask (which is how they make their money). I prefer the Degiro model, where the price will transact at actual based on your bid/ask. Also T212 and etoro only traded the well known stocks, they were limited for (hopefully) growth stocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

Question about degiro. I usually look.at my account after hours, I never get around to looking at it during the day. There have been dramatic moves in the last few days, especially yesterday, and I miss these if I don't check during trading hours.

I can see the overall p/l changing each day but if its after hours I can't see which stock moved. They all say 0.00 or 0.2% kind of figures after hours, if that makes sense.

Is there any way to check, after hours, how your list of stocks performed at a glance rather than having to click into the product details of each one individually?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Seems to be a problem with the "Upcoming Dividends" tab in Degiro. Some companies that I hold shares in and that went Ex-Dividend over the last few days are not showing up in my "Upcoming Dividends" tab in Degiro. I have sent an email to the Degiro help desk. Will post any updates.

No, not with Degiro. Other brokers will update individual positions, but not overall gain position. I actually like how Degiro show your total gain/loss figure, which doesn't seem to be universal.

HOWEVER, I personally put little value in AHs share prices for overall valuation purposes. Maybe the super large tickers, but the volume isn't a true representation Pre/post hours. But, it's good to have the option to trade P/AHs for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Same problem.

Got a reply from Degiro.

"Thank you for your email.

In certain cases, an upcoming dividend that your account is entitled to receive does not appear on the upcoming dividends tab.

In those cases, this is caused by a visualization issue, but your dividend should still be pre booked into the account.

In case you have not received the dividend on the pay date, please contact us.  "

Dividends have all magically appeared. 👍

Can someone explain the US withholding tax form? Is it essential to fill it in? New to degiro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭One More Toy

A W-8 BEN form is an Internal Revenue Service (IRS) form that serves as a Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner. By completing this form you confirm that you are not a US taxpayer and that a reduced rating of Withholding may be applied depending on your country of residence and any tax treaty between that country and the US.

So if you are going to hold US stocks, fill it in to get a reduced rate of withholding tax on dividends

• Registered Users Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I apologise if this question has been asked before.

I have a DeGiro account, and I want to transfer funds from my current account.

I already have DeGiro set up as a payee in the current account, from years ago.

In DeGiro today, I clicked on Deposit > Manual Deposit, and it provided details of how to make a manual bank transfer to DeGiro.

It has changed from a Dutch IBAN to a German IBAN, in a bank called Flatex, and it looks like I have my own bank account and IBAN in this bank.

Has that happened to everybody?

My second query: if I create a new payee in my current account, using the new Flatex IBAN, DeGiro tell me to use the following details:

Name of beneficiary = my name

IBAN

BIC

Bank name

What should I use as the payee name in my current account? My own name, as that is the name of the beneficiary on the Flatex account?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah we all moved to a German account about a year ago, they were bought by a German crowd.

The name on your current account is just for your record, you can put whatever ya want (I usually put "Degiro")

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Just got email about changes in fees for DeGiro. 0 fee on US exchanges which is great when I buy all US equities. Only used to be 50c a trade but still..

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭the explorer

Auto fx charge is going from 0.10% to 0.25%, which will end up costing more for larger trades

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 paul8200

Is that the only increase? IE the auto FX charge - would be useful to do a side by side comparison

That's a huge cost increase. Seeing as you have to exchange when buying AND selling. I had moved to IBRK so no longer an issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭manofthefora

Newbie question:

I have an account with a large Dublin stockbroker.There are a few shareholdings (Euro) there of some 15K value. I do very little trading.

For maintaining the account and receiving the dividends they charge a large monthly fee.

Can I move the holding of these shares to DeGiro? If so, how would I go about doing so?

Thank you.

Yes, I did that.

There are fees involved.

For example, Davy here charge 36.90 per stock to transfer out:

DeGiro may also charge to transfer in, 10 euro per position:

https://www.degiro.ie/data/pdf/ie/IE_Feeschedule.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭manofthefora

Many thanks for that. I assume then that DeGiro admin charges are small or zero?

DeGiro may also charge to transfer in, 10 euro per position:

https://www.degiro.ie/data/pdf/ie/IE_Feeschedule.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Where do I see the charge of the auto fx fees?

All I see is the usual fee which is nearly always between 50 and 60c. But 0.1% of my last trade would be way more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

You could also consider just selling them and then purchasing them on Degiro. Would be cheaper/easier. The only potential issue would be that you are capitalising any gain in this tax year (probably not an issue for you?).

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭mindhorn

It's difficult to know exactly what the impact of the increase in fees will be for me. I invest between 5-10 times per month (largest positions are in USD and I also hold a couple of GBP and EUR). Is this new schedule more of a pain for those trading daily?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Degiro down for anyone else on mobile app?

Advertisement