Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One night in Cork

Options
  • 20-09-2017 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

We're planning on spending one night in Cork city during the mid term break, any suggestions as good places to stay, have a few drinks, listen to good music?

It will be our first time to the city and seeing as its a one nighter, we want to make the most of it.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Green's restaurant on mccurtain st for food.

http://greenesrestaurant.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

nihicib2 wrote: »
    We're planning on spending one night in Cork city during the mid term break, any suggestions as good places to stay, have a few drinks, listen to good music?

It will be our first time to the city and seeing as its a one nighter, we want to make the most of it.

Thanks in advance

What night?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭goochy

Is it family ?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

MrMac84 wrote: »
    What night?

Sorry should have been more specific, its Thursday the 2nd of November and its just me and my partner.

goochy wrote: »
    Is it family ?

Its just me and my partner.

• Advertisement

MrMac84 wrote: »
    What night?

Sorry should have been more specific, its Thursday the 2nd of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Thursday is a big student night so I would stay well away from Oliver plunkett street and Washington street.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Sorry should have been more specific, its Thursday the 2nd of October and its just me and my partner.

October 2nd is a Monday. November 2nd perhaps?

October 2nd is a Monday. November 2nd perhaps?

Ah jeez sorry, you're right its November 2nd, early head on me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

lee detla blues band in the cornerhouse? they play on thursdays - pretty good. always a crowd there for them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Its just me and my partner.

will ye be looking for gaffs with pampas grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Upstairs in the Oliver Plunkett too will have New Found land Thursdays, Irish contemporary trad it's very good. Shouldn't be students in there either.

will ye be looking for gaffs with pampas grass?

Is this Cork speak boi?:D

Is this Cork speak boi?:D

c'mere fiend, we're not that backward down here boi.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/gardens/is-pampas-grass-really-a-signal-to-swingers-1.3102787

Erm thanks, but not exactly what Im looking for!

Erm thanks, but not exactly what Im looking for!

"I'm"?
    Not "we"...

"I'm"?
    Not "we"...

Yes, very funny indeed, any actual helpful suggestions to my original question?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Stay in the Clayton. Start off in Cactus Jacks have a cocktail and if you like Mexican food a snack there. Go up Oliver Plunkett street and have one in The Oliver Plunkett. There are 2 very good restaurants opposite it in Elbow lane and Market lane. Both would be great. You can move up to Soho and then down washington street and there are a few lively bars there.

If you want something a bit quieter you could move up to McCurtain street and get something to eat there in Gallaghers or Isaacs and there are a few bars with trad music there like sin e. Loads of options really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Clayton Lapps Quay to stay and across to the Welcome Inn for a pint, make your way Oliver Plunkett Street to Winthrop Street and head into the Long Valley for one of their famous sandwiches.
    Have a posh beverage later in the Imperial and then visit every pub along Barrack Street and keep going along Bandon Road to Jackie Lennoxs for a cheese and onion pie with chips and tana.
    Night cap in MOKs and cab back to hotel, go to bed, sleep, wake up, check out, breakfast in Liberty Grill and then home. See you next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

You probably have the answers you need.. but anyway.. Most nightspots are in 3 areas:

Washington St. & side-streets: On the West end of town. Younger, college crowd, most clubs are around here. Probably the busiest of the 3 on a Thurs. night.
    Oliver Plunkett St. & side-streets: Central. Good mix of pubs and restaurants.
    McCurtain St.: Probably the most 'improved' area, the Isaacs complex (apartment hotel / Isaacs restaurant / Green's high-end restaurant / Cask wine & cocktail bar) at its centre. Slightly older crowd generally. Big mix of high to cheap-and-cheerful food joints.

For accommodation: River Lee hotel is perfect for Washington St., anywhere is good for Oliver Plunkett St. (Imperial hotel?), the Metropole for McCurtain St.

The Benny McCabe pubs are probably the best / most atmospheric in town (though overpriced, spit!), especially the Crane Lane is good if you can't think of anywhere else to end up! :) It has a nice attached wine bar (Arthur Maynes) if you fancy something a little quieter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

mikeecho wrote: »
    Green's restaurant on mccurtain st for food.

http://greenesrestaurant.com

+1
    You could also stay in the hostel in Isaacs/greenes which is supposed to be quite nice fun what I've heard, or the Metropole hotel which is just across the street if you'd prefer a hotel. Cork City centre is nice and compact so you can stay anywhere within reason. E.g. even the renovated Montenotte Hotel would be a really nice, good value selection for a city break imho (5mins walk)

Well thats plenty of names to go on and we'll definitely be hitting some the places ye mentioned, thanks to everyone who gave helpful advice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Clayton Lapps Quay to stay and across to the Welcome Inn for a pint, make your way Oliver Plunkett Street to Winthrop Street and head into the Long Valley for one of their famous sandwiches.
    Have a posh beverage later in the Imperial and then visit every pub along Barrack Street and keep going along Bandon Road to Jackie Lennoxs for a cheese and onion pie with chips and tana.
    Night cap in MOKs and cab back to hotel, go to bed, sleep, wake up, check out, breakfast in Liberty Grill and then home. See you next year.

I'd love to that myself and I'm living in Cork for 16 years now :D

I'd love to that myself and I'm living in Cork for 16 years now :D

That's my dream day in Cork, pity I didn't do it in my 10 years living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭goochy

Sounds terrible . Barrack street ? Corks worst street .

goochy wrote: »
    Sounds terrible . Barrack street ? Corks worst street .

Real Cork, not like the Cork of Benny and Ernest.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Real Cork, not like the Cork of Benny and Ernest.

Doesn't Ernest have a bar up there though, Barbella or something?

Doesn't Ernest have a bar up there though, Barbella or something?
    That's owned by Tom Barry's. Tom Barrys a lot better than FB or Ernest pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

No it’s not that’s owned by the lads who own Voodoo and An bróg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Which ones are the Earnset pubs? He is involved in doing up the Leaping Salmon at the moment I ink.

Advertisement