Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Houses Kilcock

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

The estate will probably flood significantly once every 20 years. Based on the rainfall data, every other year the estate will likely flood on its 'green space' leaving behind a mess. You can see the location of the estate as a flood event on the new system from the OPW: www.floodmaps.ie/

The estate is on 'benefiting land' it appears. I do wonder how planning was obtained in the first place.

Start Date: 08/Jan/2005
    County: Meath
    Flood Quality Code: 3
    National Grid Reference: N 897 398
    Scheme Name Unique ID Scheme Type Type Source Doc
    Ring Ryewater 6433 Scheme Benefiting Land

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Where's the up-to date equivalent of the map showing the additional works and changed landscape?

I don't think a map from over a decade ago prior to any of the recent changes is particularly indicative of anything other than what may have happened if the land had been left unimproved.

Graham wrote: »
    Where's the up-to date equivalent of the map showing the additional works and changed landscape?

I don't think a map from over a decade ago prior to any of the recent changes is particularly indicative of anything other than what may have happened if the land had been left unimproved.

1) As I attempted to explain to you earlier: flood plains do not change unless the course of the river changes. All that changes is whether or not the water laps up to the steps of the newly built house depending on how many blocks it has under it.
    2) The scale of the event from 2005 can be expected to happen every 10 to 20 years.

On a side note, if it turns out that Graham has an undeclared interest can he/she be banned? In an era where fake news and manipulation has resulted in brexit and trump, boards.ie has on obligation to the taxpayers of Ireland (they foot the bill in terms of increased insurance premiums and government expenditure) to prevent the deliberate obfuscation of data-driven discussions and analyses.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 dj_bulldogg

Do what you like it is no skin off my nose if you want to pay half a million quid to live underwater in a council estate in Meath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu7HoGZaspo

Rochford Close flooded before. Obviously your nosey neighbouring isn't so good after all.
    Half a million in a council estate? The mere fact that the purchasers in the new estate are all buying the houses for €350k upwards would be a good indication that it's not a council estate.
    Again, you are clueless about construction and your opinion is meaningless.
    Kilcock ain't full and there are plenty of estates popping up. Too bad for you ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Upstream / down stream doesn't make a blind bit of difference. It demonstrated a significant water event to that stretch of the river.
    I don't care what you think, I'm in construction and I know what I'm talking about and have consulted with many experts on the situation at Millerstown.
    All you "know-it-all doomsdayers" will be waiting a long time for those houses to flood, the front green can flood all it wants.
    Also there is no protection from falls my into the canal across the road? So why the questions about safety provisions?

But you will continue to talk about it and predict it until then.
    I'm from Kildare, not Dublin, I'm a potential buyer who has a deposit down.
    Likelihood is we are going to let it go. But not because ill-informed nosy neighbours having their say :-) because I'm looking to buy in my hometown close by.

Keep spewing **** about it here though, nobody with an ounce of construction knowledge gives a **** about your opinions, and neither should any buyer. You are as much in danger in many estates in Kilcock. Many have flooded before.

So g'luck folks .. troll away

Likelihood is your letting it go because you don't really even believe your own misinformed argument. People who are looking to buy in their hometown don't put down deposits on houses in other towns. You're full of it.

• Advertisement

Granted because it is Meath. Kildare County Council should sue to have the area and its LPT and social housing allocation given to Kildare not to those EXPLETIVE DELETED Royals.

Ahhh you don't like Meath... I'd say they'll lose some sleep tonight knowing that the poor beggars :-P

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Likelihood is your letting it go because you don't really even believe your own misinformed argument. People who are looking to buy in their hometown don't put down deposits on houses in other towns. You're full of it.

In my hometown 4bed semis are fetching upwards of €450k. Hence the consideration to buy in Kilcock.
    If you'd like proof of my deposit ai can PM it to you?
    I have explained in detail the many reasons that I am struggling to sign a contract.
    1. North Facing Garden for a €400k house.
    2. Front Green may be dangerous for my kids
    3. No flooring provided in a €400k house!
    4. No fireplace or insert in a €400k house!
    5. Flooding (no matter what the mitigation there will always be a risk

So there are many reasons not to.

What do I like,

1. The houses are fine big houses
    2. They are well built and A Rated
    3. Kilcock is an up and coming town.
    4. It's a 3 min drive to Maynooth
    5. The estate looks great (when not submerged)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

1) As I attempted to explain to you earlier: flood plains do not change unless the course of the river changes.

Or the land is built up, or water has been redirected to adjoining land or the flow rate of the river has been changed, or.. or.. or..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Or the land is built up, or water has been redirected to adjoining land or the flow rate of the river has been changed, or.. or.. or..

Land doesn't look very built up to me, looks the same as it always was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,785 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

dj_bulldog - Uncivil & sexist remarks will not be tolerated. Do not post in this thread again.

• Advertisement

When you build up land in a flood plain all you are doing is making potential islands.

This thread is like a soap opera

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

This is not how water tables/levels work.

I'd say it's akin to putting your head in the sand, but it's more accurate to say putting your head in a bucket of sand that some years fills with water afterwards.
    When you build up land in a flood plain all you are doing is making potential islands.

This.

Millerstown looks fab but I'd bet on a massive flood there within 15 years. And having friends just bought there I hope I am 100% wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,785 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Thread reviewed now, including reported posts.

marieholmfan - Trolling & baiting will not be tolerated. Do not post in this thread again.

All - Be nice or be gone. I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MIC513

Jonting wrote: »
    Hi,

As I've previously mentioned I'm 1 of 4 couples currently in contact (via whatsapp) with each other re; Millerstown. We would be happy to add you to our ongoing chat, please pm me with proof of deposit (screenshot of receipt) name and contact no.

Thanks

PM sent jonting
    Hi there, did you get a whatsapp or Facebook page going? My boyfriend and I have our deposit down there. Would be good to catch up with other people too on what the latest is in terms of move in dates, etc?

Have many been sold at this stage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 KildareInfo

There are currently 12 house left from the first phase that are not sold or people have pulled out.

We pulled out as we were unable to get legitimate insurance quote - Most of them laughed at us saying that area is a flood plain.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bigsheepdog

Serious flooding there again this morning. Incredible that this place got PP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

I think if anyone is on the fence about going through with a purchase they should get out there today for a look. We are supposed to be in the 20ml range last 24hrs i think.

If you are not comfortable with how it looks today and couldn't get out the last time because of work, today should help you either way. Park at Lidl and Have a good walk around.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

ixus wrote: »
    I think if anyone is on the fence about going through with a purchase they should get out there today for a look. We are supposed to be in the 20ml range last 24hrs i think.

If you are not comfortable with how it looks today and couldn't get out the last time because of work, today should help you either way. Park at Lidl and Have a good walk around.

Came in to post something similar. At least use it to ask questions from builders/developers and get answers in writing etc.

Take some photos. This is pretty much typical weather for Ireland which we all know can happen at any time during the year.

• Advertisement

Passed here today, I can only imagine the place if it rained heavy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

Its always flooded. That exact area. Builders at it again. Mad stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭highdef

So it's 1 year since the Rye flooded at Millerstown and lo and behold there was a fair drop of rain last night too, coincidentally. Was anyone passing the area today? Had the river burst its bank again or has the flood prevention measures put in place since the flood helped? Bear in mind there was less rain last night that this time last year so it's quite possible that there was enough rain to cause flooding, in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 bbbbb1990

highdef wrote: »
    So it's 1 year since the Rye flooded at Millerstown and lo and behold there was a fair drop of rain last night too, coincidentally. Was anyone passing the area today? Had the river burst its bank again or has the flood prevention measures put in place since the flood helped? Bear in mind there was less rain last night that this time last year so it's quite possible that there was enough rain to cause flooding, in any case.
    Past it today didn't see any flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 brillo pad

bbbbb1990 wrote: »
    Past it today didn't see any flooding.

There was flooding yesterday

brillo pad wrote: »
    There was flooding yesterday

Mustn't been much of a flood if it's gone today.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 brillo pad

bbbbb1990 wrote: »

Mustn't been much of a flood if it's gone today.

It still bust its banks. Every time it rains people are looking out the window.

Well the engineered works done are obviously doing the job it intended to if it's gone today. I saw in another thread that the bank is an attenuation area for water to collect and run off so it's doing exactly what it's designed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Littlemissb

I live there and I have no problem looking out my windows. That was not a flood! I would appreciate if you would stop trying to slander what you clearly do not understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Not on either side here but people talking about flooding this year should bear in mind that as yet soil moisture deficit is still high.

Since the drought there has been insufficient rain to bring moisture up to normal levels in the ground.

Unlikely to see much prolonged flooding around the country just yet. Spate flooding will occur and dissipate

Advertisement