Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Houses Kilcock

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 bbbbb1990

Graham wrote: »
    Aren't building floor levels in Millerstown 500mm above the 100-year flood level plus an allowance for climate change?

How does that compare to the rest of Kilcock?

It's off the 1000 year floor model.

https://vimeo.com/174936098?utm_campaign=2617611&utm_source=affiliate&utm_channel=affiliate&cjevent=0b3da375535f11ea83bc01590a18050e&fbclid=IwAR2p0cZWsGSN5-f3-T6qDgIbwysGW2eDkSAaaPmXRfht_DsiXt83pbRLeGQ

Someone posted this on FB which explains what the green areas dual purpose is for.

But again you could say it's Monday to someone here and they would argue it's Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭highdef

bbbbb1990 wrote: »
    It's off the 1000 year floor model.

https://vimeo.com/174936098?utm_campaign=2617611&utm_source=affiliate&utm_channel=affiliate&cjevent=0b3da375535f11ea83bc01590a18050e&fbclid=IwAR2p0cZWsGSN5-f3-T6qDgIbwysGW2eDkSAaaPmXRfht_DsiXt83pbRLeGQ

Someone posted this on FB which explains what the green areas dual purpose is for.

But again you could say it's Monday to someone here and they would argue it's Thursday.

You could also argue that the homepage of the Millerstown website is very misleading:
    "The houses are positioned fronting a unique highly landscaped linear park, providing residents with a fantastic recreational area along the riverside."

To a potential buyer, this gives no indication that sometimes the park is a flood plain and that use of the park and pathways through it are not always accessible. Maybe the use of the word "unique" is because the park doubles up as a flood plain but giving no indication of this is rather cheeky.

Out of interest, is the fantastic recreational area along the riverside usable today? It's been rather wet lately and I know that there is some flooding on the local roads where I live, not too far from Kilcock.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The lower area contained some water on Saturday when I passed, children were riding bikes around the higher levels quite happily.

Contrary to popular mythology, none of the children were throwing themselves into the flooded area and there appeared to be no preparations for an impending tsunami.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I suppose the real issue I'd have isn't with the Flood defence system which is working well but with the locals and the price of the development. The recreational area doesnt look great this morning under a foot of water but it's there to protect the houses. I'd rather my green flood than my house.

Some of the bile on here and facebook groups has been shocking. I always new Kilcock was about 30 years behind Maynooth in trms of amenities etc but that small town mindset is still alive and well there.

Best of luck to anyone who bought in Millerstown. Lovely houses but overpriced for Kilcock.

To anyone looking to buy in Kilcock I'd advise against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I suppose the real issue I'd have isn't with the Flood defence system which is working well but with the locals and the price of the development. The recreational area doesnt look great this morning under a foot of water but it's there to protect the houses. I'd rather my green flood than my house.

Some of the bile on here and facebook groups has been shocking. I always new Kilcock was about 30 years behind Maynooth in trms of amenities etc but that small town mindset is still alive and well there.

Best of luck to anyone who bought in Millerstown. Lovely houses but overpriced for Kilcock.

The Facebook groups would really put out a prospective buyer from buying from kilcock full stop. It just seems that no one wants anyone to live in kilcock going by some of the comments.
    Why the begrudgery? Is not like anyone is being forced to live there, if it doesn’t affect you why do you care so much? It’s weird.

• Advertisement

The Facebook groups would really put out a prospective buyer from buying from kilcock full stop. It just seems that no one wants anyone to live in kilcock going by some of the comments.
    Why the begrudgery? Is not like anyone is being forced to live there, if it doesn’t affect you why do you care so much? It’s weird.

Totally agree. I don't think the same goes on in Maynooth, Leixlip, Clane or Celbridge.

Is it something to do with so many people living on top of each other with so few amenities?

On another note re Millerstown , looking at the facebook page you'd swear it was in Maynooth. All to do with NUIM and even a few pics of main street Maynooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Totally agree. I don't think the same goes on in Maynooth, Leixlip, Clane or Celbridge.

Is it something to do with so many people living on top of each other with so few amenities?

On another note re Millerstown , looking at the facebook page you'd swear it was in Maynooth. All to do with NUIM and even a few pics of main street Maynooth.

Yea I thought us Maynoothians were crazy, but it seems kilcock has one upped that one!
    Theyre really clinging onto that Maynooth road address for Millerstown maybe that’s why they’re trying to lean more towards Maynooth.

Kilcock ironically has much better traffic management than Maynooth (can take 40 mins to get through Maynooth town during busy times), a fabulous SuperValu and Millerstown will have a ring road to link SuperValu and Maynooth road completely negating having to go through the town. I really don’t see what the issue it?

I was priced out of buying in Maynooth, maybe there’s some sour grapes because they were priced out of kikcock?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

Not forgetting no problems with litter after student nights.
    Not forgetting a primary health centre.
    Not forgetting a fit for purpose newly built community centre and playground
    And especially not forgetting Maynooth traffic
    Kilcock is not Maynooth but for those reasons above I think its doing ok for itself. The more people that move into the town the better it can get.
    Maynooth was pretty grim 30 years back also haha. Yes I can remember it well and yes I'm old!
    Yea I thought us Maynoothians were crazy, but it seems kilcock has one upped that one!
    Theyre really clinging onto that Maynooth road address for Millerstown maybe that’s why they’re trying to lean more towards Maynooth.

Kilcock ironically has much better traffic management than Maynooth (can take 40 mins to get through Maynooth town during busy times), a fabulous SuperValu and Millerstown will have a ring road to link SuperValu and Maynooth road completely negating having to go through the town. I really don’t see what the issue it?

I was priced out of buying in Maynooth, maybe there’s some sour grapes because they were priced out of kikcock?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭djbulldogg1983

I’d agree! The local hicks are unbearable. But I work 7-7, I spend tome with my kids and then weekends we do things outside of Kilcock.
    Kilcock is only a temporary solution. Long term I hope to get back to Celbridge or maybe Straffan or even Maynooth.
    For the size house we needed/wanted we were out of the market in Celbridge and Maynooth.
    Love our house. Could do without the local hicks and the occasional river swell out my front window but you can’t have it all I suppose 🙂

I’d agree! The local hicks are unbearable. But I work 7-7, I spend tome with my kids and then weekends we do things outside of Kilcock.
    Kilcock is only a temporary solution. Long term I hope to get back to Celbridge or maybe Straffan or even Maynooth.
    For the size house we needed/wanted we were out of the market in Celbridge and Maynooth.
    Love our house. Could do without the local hicks and the occasional river swell out my front window but you can’t have it all I suppose 🙂

You'd pay big money for that water feature in the k club :)

• Advertisement

highdef wrote: »
    You could also argue that the homepage of the Millerstown website is very misleading:
    "The houses are positioned fronting a unique highly landscaped linear park, providing residents with a fantastic recreational area along the riverside."

To a potential buyer, this gives no indication that sometimes the park is a flood plain and that use of the park and pathways through it are not always accessible. Maybe the use of the word "unique" is because the park doubles up as a flood plain but giving no indication of this is rather cheeky.

Out of interest, is the fantastic recreational area along the riverside usable today? It's been rather wet lately and I know that there is some flooding on the local roads where I live, not too far from Kilcock.

Who cares. Anyone buying in Millerstown is aware of the river issue! Sure all the local know it alls hang around on rainy days with Ponchos and protest signs saying “Kilcock is Kildare, Feck off Meath Scum”
    It’s a lovely park, I love it. Yep it’s wet some days of the year but on those days you won’t catch me out walking in any case, so no difference really.

You'd pay big money for that water feature in the k club :)

:-D that’s for sure!!!

Listen to your fears. You will end up buying and continue to have those fears. Its all about peace of mind in my opinion. I had a deposit on Millerstown but ended up going for Ledwill Park (no maintenance fees either).

You’re right. You are either comfortable with the idea of it or you aren’t.

As for maintenance fees I’d rather my estate looked well and upkept with rules and regulations for all to adhere to. They also cut our front lawns, weed our nice cobblelock driveways, replant our gardens etc etc. Grand aul bunch of lads to be fair!
    When you don’t you end up with an estate with satellite dishes all over the shop, overgrown greens and zero maintenance going on!
    I’ll happily fork out my maintenance fee to avoid all of that. But again that’s a personal preference.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    those football goals can soon be used for water polo at the rate the place is filling up.

Sure isn’t life all about having choices :-)

Graham wrote: »
    The lower area contained some water on Saturday when I passed, children were riding bikes around the higher levels quite happily.

Contrary to popular mythology, none of the children were throwing themselves into the flooded area and there appeared to be no preparations for an impending tsunami.
    😀 good man Graham!
    No my kids didn’t fancy ending up in Leixlip on a raft and despite my numerous attempts to encourage them into the river they just wouldn’t bite! I even gave them floats and armbands... pesky kids... soon enough now the worried locals will set up St. John of Gods Ambulance at the bridge there, because, you know, they are so concerned for the poor Childers 🙂

Main thing right now about Ledwill is that as long as the developer is onsite he his obliged to look after the green spaces etc. After that and from experience, as this is my 3rd new build in 5 years, most estates set up some sort of residents group and people chip in if they can. Time will only tell.

You’re right. You are either comfortable with the idea of it or you aren’t.

As for maintenance fees I’d rather my estate looked well and upkept with rules and regulations for all to adhere to. They also cut our front lawns, weed our nice cobblelock driveways, replant our gardens etc etc. Grand aul bunch of lads to be fair!
    When you don’t you end up with an estate like Rochford (no offence meant to anyone who lives there).
    Satellite dishes all over the shop, overgrown greens, clearly zero maintenance going on!
    I’ll happily fork out my maintenance fee. But again that’s a personal preference.

Main thing right now about Ledwill is that as long as the developer is onsite he his obliged to look after the green spaces etc. After that and from experience, as this is my 3rd new build in 5 years, most estates set up some sort of residents group and people chip in if they can. Time will only tell.

People don’t tend to ’chipin’ and then maintenance companies don’t get paid and then the estate goes into disrepair.

Youre a very negative soul for someone so young.

Like I said lets wait and see.

B]
    [/B]
    People don’t tend to ’chipin’ and then people don’t get paid and it’ll end up like Rochford looks now.

B]
    [/B]

I've lived in multiple estates where the green area care and maintenance was left to a resident association. And there was always a massive burden to get people to pay their share of fees.
    20/30 quid a month per household is well worth avoiding that hassle.

Best of luck with it though people might take more pride in a new build estate.

B]
    [/B]

Not negative at all. Just a realist. People tend to pay the bills they are obliged to pay. If left as an option not all will pay and the burden, and increased price, will be put on the people willing to pay.
    I’ve lived in many estates over the years and this is always the case.
    Our maintenance company looks after much more than just the greens.

• Advertisement

Yup I know how the world works and how people tend to try and get out of paying
    but I'm hopeful people will take pride in the estate and help financially or by taking part in clean ups, grass cutting. no suprise there is managements fees in millerstown as it will be higher density with apartments etc compared to Ledwill.
    Not negative at all. Just a realist. People tend to pay the bills they are obliged to pay. If left as an option not all will pay and the burden, and increased price, will be put on the people willing to pay.
    I’ve lived in many estates over the years and this is always the case.
    Our maintenance company looks after much more than just the greens.

Yup I know how the world works and how people tend to try and get out of paying
    but I'm hopeful people will take pride in the estate and help financially or by taking part in clean ups, grass cutting. no suprise there is managements fees in millerstown as it will be higher density with apartments etc compared to Ledwill.

Wish you only the best in your new home.
    No negativity or bad wishes here.
    All I want to do is make sure that any concern or scaremongering is addressed with facts and data wherever possible.
    I can’t have all these Kilcock natives having their say without a response :-)

Likewise. Wishing you the best also.
    Wish you only the best in your new home.
    No negativity or bad wishes here.
    All I want to do is make sure that any concern or scaremongering is addressed with facts and data wherever possible.
    I can’t have all these Kilcock natives having their say without a response :-)

The Kilcock Community Group on facebook has actually started to delete comments from Millerstown residents who are posting evidence of what the flood works was for on their page but is keeping any smartarse comments from the locals.

So anyone who happens to come across this please take any of their posts as a one sided biased view.
    It is not a Communiity page.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Daveke

Millerstown is a good estate but just needs it’s flooding sorted it’s working but just very unsightly. I ended up buying in the riverside as the quality of the houses compared to both estates ledwill and millerstown were superior and it’s also a much smaller development build as they sell etc. They also have the air to water system and it’s just superb . The developers merlon are a local developer so felt at ease and were so much nicer than either of the other estates. The original estate Ryebridge had pyrite but it was sorted by the developer and haven spoken to a lot of the residence from Ryebridge they are very pleased with the works and there’s no pyrite left which was at the concrete manufacturers fault.

Daveke wrote: »
    Millerstown is a good estate but just needs it’s flooding sorted it’s working but just very unsightly. I ended up buying in the riverside as the quality of the houses compared to both estates ledwill and millerstown were superior and it’s also a much smaller development build as they sell etc. They also have the air to water system and it’s just superb . The developers merlon are a local developer so felt at ease and were so much nicer than either of the other estates. The original estate Ryebridge had pyrite but it was sorted by the developer and haven spoken to a lot of the residence from Ryebridge they are very pleased with the works and there’s no pyrite left which was at the concrete manufacturers fault.

As a builder myself, in my opinion Riverside was the lowest quality build when compared to the 2 other new developments.
    Ledwill has the heat pump also.
    Plus you got more sqm for your euro.
    Ledwill being timberframe had extra high ceilings at 2.7m which I liked.
    I found riverside houses small compared to the 4 bed that I purchased which was 176sqm and was 400k.
    The bedrooms in the riverside 4 beds are incredibly small along with the sitting room/kitchen too.
    Good luck in your new home never the less.

As a builder myself, in my opinion Riverside was the lowest quality build when compared to the 2 other new developments.
    Ledwill has the heat pump also.
    Plus you got more sqm for your euro.
    Ledwill being timberframe had extra high ceilings at 2.7m which I liked.
    I found riverside houses small compared to the 4 bed that I purchased which was 176sqm and was 400k.

The bedrooms in the riverside 4 beds are incredibly small along with the sitting room/kitchen too.
    Good luck in your new home never the less.

We will never agree which house is better quality as we are all from different estates and they all have features that suited each one of us hence the reason we bought there mine was the small development side of things but I hope you enjoy your new home in ledwill I have to say ledwill is defiantly a nice estate.

We will never agree which house is better quality as we are all from different estates and they all have features that suited each one of us hence the reason we bought there mine was the small development side of things but I hope you enjoy your new home in ledwill I have to say ledwill is defiantly a nice estate.

The my house is better than your house nonsense is awful childish lads.

The my house is better than your house nonsense is awful childish lads.[/quot
    Walking to the train station this morning did make me wish I live closer to it. I do feel bad for the millerstown residents who seem to be getting slagged by a lot of kilcock not the kind of community environment you’d like to seee

• Advertisement

The my house is better than your house nonsense is awful childish lads.[/quot
    Walking to the train station this morning did make me wish I live closer to it. I do feel bad for the millerstown residents who seem to be getting slagged by a lot of kilcock not the kind of community environment you’d like to seee

They don't represent the community as I see it they're just a few sour so and sos's.
    The Community is full of nice friendly people and businesses.
    They KCN have a gripe against Millerstown and you can guarantee if the flood alleviation works wasn't an issue they would find something else to whine about.
    I'm sure they where going on about pyrite in ryebridge 1 for years and now on to the next thing.
    They have a problem with the developer as their community centre was knocked back in funding and are trying to take it out on the residents.

Advertisement