Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Houses Kilcock

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

highdef wrote: »
    High Green Field?

Sink estate for the worst council tenants in Meath to go in behind.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Anyone know if the houses will have a Meath or Kildare address? Although I'm geographically in Kildare, my postal address is Meath however when it comes to house selling, the houses in the village and surrounding area are put down as being in Kildare.
    I can only assume the vice versa would be in place for this development in Kilcock?
    IE: When it comes to selling houses, it's the geographical location that is used, not what An Post says.

Houses the far side of the development a mile further into Meath have a postal address of Kildare so I'd be betting on a Kildare postal address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Anyone know if the houses will have a Meath or Kildare address? Although I'm geographically in Kildare, my postal address is Meath however when it comes to house selling, the houses in the village and surrounding area are put down as being in Kildare.
    I can only assume the vice versa would be in place for this development in Kilcock?
    IE: When it comes to selling houses, it's the geographical location that is used, not what An Post says.

Houses the far side of the development 1500m further into Meath have a postal address of Kildare so I'd be betting on a Kildare postal address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭highdef

Graham wrote: »
    Houses the far side of the development a mile further into Meath have a postal address of Kildare so I'd be betting on a Kildare postal address.

Do estate agents go by the postal address or the geographical address? In my case, the estate agent went with Kildare and does so for houses in the area despite them all having Meath postal addresses.

I guess the estate agents go with whatever will fetch a higher selling price!

NedNew2 wrote: »
    Houses the far side of the development 1500m further into Meath have a postal address of Kildare so I'd be betting on a Kildare postal address

Most of Meath hasn't gone metric yet :D
    I guess the estate agents go with whatever will fetch a higher selling price!

This.

• Advertisement

Sink estate for the worst council tenants in Meath to go in behind.

Sorry, I have no idea what you are on about. Can you elaborate a little please as I don't know what a sink estate is nor what you are trying to convey in your sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭megapixel

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/planning-permission-granted-for-431-houses-in-kilcock-1.3299603

Anyone have any details of the plans etc?
    The detail on Kildare county council website planning application doesn't have any maps etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Is it one of those fast track approvals so went straight to An Bord Pleanala? Actually no, I recall seeing this on the kildare site before i think. It's the land around the GAA pitch if I recall. Man, Kilcock is going to make Maynooth look like a traffic free zone in a few years!

Anyone pass by Millerstown this morning? Interested to hear how it is holding up. I'm seeing flooding in fields that don't usually get surface water. Surprised by it.

Not looking too good

• Advertisement

Not looking too good
    Will try attach pic later

Was going to drive out for a look but Maynooth is a no go area. Couldn't get out estate. Back area and road around Moyglare to Dunboyne Rd has a lot of flooding. Seeing flooding in fields that don't usually get it.

While I am not putting this all down to the flood works and expanded river at Millerstown, I would note that river kinks half way to Maynooth and around this exact area in Moyglare. Is it a case that there's nowhere for the surface water to drain too?

There's fields all around Kilcock with surface water gathering where I've never seen it before. Many of which are too far away and uphill from Millerstown for it to be a contributory factor.

There's fields all around Kilcock with surface water gathering where I've never seen it before. Many of which are too far away and uphill from Millerstown for it to be a contributory factor.

Are you a hydrological engineer?

ixus wrote: »
    Is it one of those fast track approvals so went straight to An Bord Pleanala? Actually no, I recall seeing this on the kildare site before i think. It's the land around the GAA pitch if I recall. Man, Kilcock is going to make Maynooth look like a traffic free zone in a few years!

Retention permission.

Are you a hydrological engineer?

Is it necessary to be a hydrological engineer to recognise water doesn't flow uphill for 2 miles?

About an hour ago - photos to follow shortly

I am seeing a field in Maynooth that is at a higher point than the roof top of some houses with a lot of surface water. This field should drain into the Rye, possibly the Lyreen, but the Rye looks like the more straightforward path.

Is it purely a case of a once off heavy rainfall or is it a drainage issue? Is this section of the Rye at capacity due to the drainage system at Millerstown where the fields would previously have held some surface water? Reasonable question to ask.

Is it purely a case of a once off heavy rainfall or is it a drainage issue? Is this section of the Rye at capacity due to the drainage system at Millerstown where the fields would previously have held some surface water? Reasonable question to ask.

It is a reasonable question to ask.

My point is, it's probably not reasonable (yet) to assume the Millerstown development is responsible/contributory as there is unusual flooding in areas that just cannot be effected by Millerstown.

I passed a mile (uphill) the other side of the Moyglare Rd this morning (Kilcock end) and there were fields flooding which I've never seen flood before.

The ground was obviously fairly saturated before today so there's surface water building up all over the place.

Finally.....some photos. Looks like the levels were still rising at this point. Photo taken a little after 10am

• Advertisement

I just drove by and its worse than i imagined. A major river with little or no embankment. Lethal for anyone, especially kids, who went near it.

In shock really. Imagine 2/3 days of rainfall like this.

Looks like it's working as intended so far, too early to call it I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

It's well known it's built on a flood plain, that area has always flooded, at least buyers can get their money back now before completing.

Is it necessary to be a hydrological engineer to recognise water doesn't flow uphill for 2 miles?
    Water flows downhill -- if it was draining into Millerstown it isn't draining there now.

Kildare Co Co should sue Meath Co Co for rezoning the land and Meath should have to pay for all remedial work.

Water flows downhill

We agree on something
    Kildare Co Co should sue Meath Co Co for rezoning the land and Meath should have to pay for all remedial work.

What remedial works? The sacrificial flood strip has flooded.

While it's far too early to say Millerstown should remain largely unaffected by any future flooding, so far it's looking pretty good.

We agree on something

What remedial works? The sacrificial flood strip has flooded.

While it's far too early to say Millerstown should remain largely unaffected by any future flooding, so far it's looking pretty good.

Based on the amount of rain we just had, I would agree that the houses themselves should remain largely unaffected by any future flooding. It's early days yet and there is still a massive amount of concrete and tar to be laid in current and future developments so only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

megapixel wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/planning-permission-granted-for-431-houses-in-kilcock-1.3299603

Anyone have any details of the plans etc?
    The detail on Kildare county council website planning application doesn't have any maps etc.

Could be for the field beside Oughterany Village. There were plans to build there 1/2 years ago from what I remember

fxotoole wrote: »
    Could be for the field beside Oughterany Village. There were plans to build there 1/2 years ago from what I remember
    It is the back of the GAA club. Go through the hedge beside the container at the back of the kids training pitch and that's where they are going.

Looks like it's working as intended so far, too early to call it I guess.

It was worse than the pictures when i drove by. And the other side of the roundabout is worse again. Is the relief work doing its job to be in that condition after a 12 hour period of heavy rainfall? What would it be like after a week of excessive rain? Do we say, sure lets find out or address it?

Doubt anyone would get flood insurance there now.

I would also have a severe concern about the dangers of the water and how accessible it is. It would be dangerous enough for adults. Lethal for kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 hijjins147

It was worse than the pictures when i drove by. And the other side of the roundabout is worse again. Is the relief work doing its job to be in that condition after a 12 hour period of heavy rainfall? What would it be like after a week of excessive rain? Do we say, sure lets find out or address it?

Doubt anyone would get flood insurance there now.

I would also have a severe concern about the dangers of the water and how accessible it is. It would be dangerous enough for adults. Lethal for kids.

How worse? What level was the water up to?

The field next to it is a floodplain created to divert waters, so it is meant to be worse off than where the houses are.

This was a status yellow rainfall ith 30-40mm of rain after falling.

The Motorway is now closed next to the maynooth ramp and a lot of the country is affected by this weather.

http://www.thejournal.ie/roads-closed-flooding-rain-warning-3709926-Nov2017/

Advertisement