Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Houses Kilcock

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bigsheepdog

Graham wrote: »
    24 hours of rain partially flooded the flood strip.

Paritally flooded? Flood strip? 😂😂😂

Are you having a laugh? Have you not seen the drone footage?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Paritally flooded? Flood strip? ������

Are you having a laugh? Have you not seen the drone footage?

I have.

Watching it would almost make you think the strip along the river that's now significantly lower than the new development had been designed to take flood water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭highdef

"Associated infrastructure works include a partial realignment of the Rye Water River and re-profiling existing river banks as part of flood protection measures"

The quote above make no reference of a "flood strip". It reads to me that they widened (and possibly deepened) the river channel by moving the river banks to make the river bigger and also adding a few bends for aesthetics to make it less boring and straight .

For reference, a riverbank consists of the sides of the channel, between which the flow is confined.

I have.

Watching it would almost make you think the strip along the river that's now significantly lower than the new development had been designed to take flood water.

Even if designed, it's not being marketed as such. Thinking you're going to live alongside a lovely park and little river (because that is what the brochure says) but you are actually going to live beside a park that floods a LOT and has been designed to do so would make me ever so slightly pissed off I was buying here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

highdef wrote: »
    The quote above make no reference of a "flood strip". It reads to me that they widened (and possibly deepened) the river channel by moving the river banks to make the river bigger and also adding a few bends for aesthetics to make it less boring and straight .

For reference, a riverbank consists of the sides of the channel, between which the flow is confined.

Well, if the builders et. al. admitted that it was a flood strip such as Graham has, then perhaps it would create complications regarding insurance. See my post above where 123.ie specifically asks if the area has flooded in the past.

• Advertisement

Well, if the builders et. al. admitted that it was a flood strip such as Graham has, then perhaps it would create complications regarding insurance. See my post above where 123.ie specifically asks if the area has flooded in the past.

I think all insurers ask this question. If you were new to the area and weren't aware of the flooding, I would imagine that you would say "No" or "Not that I am aware of" - I guess this all stems back to the point that planning permission should not have been given.

I think this all stems back to the question a few people have asked; why did this development get PP? The riverside park is only usable some of the time plus there are now inevitable issues with people getting flood insurance. All the fields in the area of this phase and the future phases are known to flood so we may see bigger issues as development continues.

An Bord Pleanala should have been aware of this area that floods, combined with proximity of the houses to said flood water and resulting issues of obtaining insurance (including flood damage) as a result.

I'd be extremely surprised if An Bord Pleanala does not take into account inability for a home owner of a new house to obtain house insurance due to proximity to a flood prone area - On that basis, you would think that they would have turned down the application.

Are we still living in the days of dodgy deals???? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Forget it Jake it's Millerstown.

highdef wrote: »
    I think all insurers ask this question. If you were new to the area and weren't aware of the flooding, I would imagine that you would say "No" or "Not that I am aware of" - I guess this all stems back to the point that planning permission should not have been given.

I think this all stems back to the question a few people have asked; why did this development get PP? The riverside park is only usable some of the time plus there are now inevitable issues with people getting flood insurance. All the fields in the area of this phase and the future phases are known to flood so we may see bigger issues as development continues.

An Bord Pleanala should have been aware of this area that floods, combined with proximity of the houses to said flood water and resulting issues of obtaining insurance (including flood damage) as a result.

I'd be extremely surprised if An Bord Pleanala does not take into account inability for a home owner of a new house to obtain house insurance due to proximity to a flood prone area - On that basis, you would think that they would have turned down the application.

Are we still living in the days of dodgy deals???? :confused:

Forget it Jake it's Millerstown.

Who's Jake and how is it connected to my post in your quote?

Your input in this thread is often not too helpful or supportive, like your earlier comment where you said "EXPLETIVE DELETED Royals" - This could be taken as a sort of local xenophobia - I'm assuming you were saying something derogatory about people who happen to reside in Meath so assuming you have some sort of issue with people from Meath (and from many other areas, it would seem).

Sorry for going off-topic but the random unconnected bickering and snappish child like comments are a bit annoying at times.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Sorry if you're confused. I'm not in a position to 'admit' anything.

I refer to the previously posted statement from the developers that refers to a flood protection channel.

Just because I'm not hysterical at the thought of a flood protection channel actually containing water, don't jump to conclusions.

As I have categorically stated in an earlier post, I have no connection professional or personal to the development, the developers or anyone remotely connected to either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Ardent

Just seeing this thread now. I drove by this estate around 4 pm on Wednesday last week (the day of the heavy rain and flooding). I was shocked by what I saw - I took photos of the flooding outside the houses but can't upload due to Boards' file size restrictions.

I would be VERY anxious living there. If that was what a few hours of rain will do, what would a few days do?!

• Advertisement

Sorry if you're confused. I'm not in a position to 'admit' anything.

I refer to the previously posted statement from the developers that refers to a flood protection channel.

Just because I'm not hysterical at the thought of a flood protection channel actually containing water, don't jump to conclusions.

As I have categorically stated in an earlier post, I have no connection professional or personal to the development, the developers or anyone remotely connected to either.

And as for myself, I have no personal issues or connections to the development, the developers or anyone remotely connected to either.

I'm sure Graham will agree that myself and himself agree on some things but disagree on others but I think (well I hope) our arguments are fairly constructive, in the main.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gto mit

This message is for all those who are planing to buy in Millerstown I am going to see the engineers in 2 days to ask them few questions about the flood issues. Of course We want to buy a house there but first we have some questions about the estate flood plans etc.
    Do you want me to ask them any questions related to same?

Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

gto mit wrote: »
    This message is for all those who are planing to buy in Millerstown I am going to see the engineers in 2 days to ask them few questions about the flood issues. Of course We want to buy a house there but first we have some questions about the estate flood plans etc.

Regards

Cheers for this! In an earlier post I wrote:
    data for the Dunsany station here:
    http://www.met.ie/climate-request/

Since 2007 there have been five daily rainfall events greater than what occurred yesterday (36.3):

65, 56.4, 48.4, 41.2, and 37.8

The fact that there were two > 50 in the last 10 years would concern me given how the place looked with 36.3ml.

Could you ask the engineer what s/he thinks will happen with rain above 50ml (which happens once every 5 years)?

Could you also ask the engineer how a buyer should respond--YES or NO--to the following statement from 123.ie
    The property, including domestic outbuildings:
    Has never suffered damage due to flooding.
    Is not in an area with a history of flooding.

Finally, could you ask the engineer if he or she is independent or represents the builders?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jonting

gto mit wrote: »

Regards

Hi,

There is a group of 5 couples I'm part off, we all have deposits down. We have been waiting to hear from Hooke McDonald in relation to meeting the engineers.

May I ask where and when this meeting is? Do you have a deposit down yourself or are you representing a 3rd party?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bigsheepdog

The rumour around the village is that 25 + people have asked for their deposit back..

Jonting wrote: »
    Hi,

There is a group of 5 couples I'm part off, we all have deposits down. We have been waiting to hear from Hooke McDonald in relation to meeting the engineers.

May I ask where and when this meeting is? Do you have a deposit down yourself or are you representing a 3rd party?

Yes we have first deposit down, I have contacted the developers and they put me in contact with REA, meeting has been arranged by the REA, thank you all for your question I will ask them all these questions and let you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭JDxtra

The reality is that “flood strip” or not, any prospective purchaser should seriously investigate the drainage situation with this development. The water came very close to these new homes in a very short period. Now, this may be all within the engineers plan and deemed acceptable – but do you really want to be worried every time there is a downpour predicted? Ireland isn’t getting any drier.

I have seen these homes before, and they are fine homes - that is not in any doubt. But I did observe that the park in front of the first row of houses seemed excessively boggy (it later got submerged!). And there was what seemed to be a newly formed “pond” opposite number 1 in a field (the 5 bed detatched show house) which is marked as “future development” in the plans. Well, where do they think all this water will go when there’s another few dozen homes over there? And this was all before the recent rain.

Cheers for this! In an earlier post I wrote:

Could you ask the engineer what s/he thinks will happen with rain above 50ml (which happens once every 5 years)?

Could you also ask the engineer how a buyer should respond--YES or NO--to the following statement from 123.ie

Finally, could you ask the engineer if he or she is independent or represents the builders?

No problem will do.

Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

What is the relief measure's maximum capacity for a days rain, for a weeks rain.

How often will the river need to be dredged and maintained keep operation at capacity.

If the river is not dredged in 12 months, what are the likely impacts to the relief measures.

What impacts will the housing estates drainage have on the river. I.e. rain from rooftops and other excess water.

What are the reliefs designed to withstand.

Who will carry out dredging, kildare or meath coco?

Query the dangers surrounding the green area when the river is at the height it was. There is nothing to grab onto if someone fell in and you slip into a deep verge very quickly.

Along those lines.

Why does the present pooling on levels not drain off after any rain.

• Advertisement

ixus wrote: »
    What is the relief measure's maximum capacity for a days rain, for a weeks rain.

How often will the river need to be dredged and maintained keep operation at capacity.

If the river is not dredged in 12 months, what are the likely impacts to the relief measures.

What impacts will the housing estates drainage have on the river. I.e. rain from rooftops and other excess water.

What are the reliefs designed to withstand.

Who will carry out dredging, kildare or meath coco?

Query the dangers surrounding the green area when the river is at the height it was. There is nothing to grab onto if someone fell in and you slip into a deep verge very quickly.

Along those lines.

Excellent lists of questions. No problem will do.

Thanks

Jonting wrote: »
    Hi,

Hi, I can meet tomorrow to discuss more about it? I live in maynooth? Let me know time please thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 greg1981

We also have the first deposit down and cant wait to see what the engineers have to say about it. Thanks for update pal ðŸ‘

greg1981 wrote: »
    We also have the first deposit down and cant wait to see what the engineers have to say about it. Thanks for update pal ðŸ‘

I know the feelings.
    No problem

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Danny285

Hi all

Can you advise when his meeting is planned for?

I was trying to schedule a meeting myself for next Tueday at 3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sophelia

I'm new to this thread. We also have a deposit down and have been trying to meet with the engineers.

We're provisionally booked in next Tuesday afternoon. Why are they not addressing everyone together?? Surely it would be more time efficient. Gto Mit when are you meeting the engineers?

The estate agents told me there were very few who had looked for meetings with the engineer. This boards clearly shows that's not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Danny285

Looking at the replays here there seems to be a few of us

Sophelia wrote: »
    I'm new to this thread. We also have a deposit down and have been trying to meet with the engineers.

We're provisionally booked in next Tuesday afternoon. Why are they not addressing everyone together?? Surely it would be more time efficient. Gto Mit when are you meeting the engineers?

The estate agents told me there were very few who had looked for meetings with the engineer. This boards clearly shows that's not the case.

Difficult to manage a crowd who want answers. Easier to manage individuals.

Also, assume EA's or whoever have been reading this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Roymac

Just joined this post.
    I had a deposit paid but have now instructed that I no longer wish to proceed and have requested a refund from Coonans. They didn't make any big deal about it but I haven't been refunded yet. Refund originally requested 24th Nov. Disappointed to withdraw but regardless of what the engineer says, I would not be comfortable proceeding based on what I saw on video online and on the site the morning after the heavy rain.

Advertisement